As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rune Factory: Harvest Moon with magic and monsters

TayaTaya Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
boxart.jpg

Rune Factory, being released for the Nintendo DS on August 14th (more or less), is your typical Harvest Moon game. You play as a young man who is given some land to cultivate a farm. There are girls you can marry, animals you can raise, crops, festivals, the typical stuff.

Did I mention the monsters? I'm sure I did. Yes yes.

Unlike previous Harvest Moon games, this one allows you to break the routine of crops and chores to explore the monster-filled caves near your farm. The monsters can be recruited to work on your farm or assist you in your exploration. But your vegetables are not going to water themselves!

Gameplay video!
Awesomesauce

Bachelorettes!
portrait_bianca.png
Bianca is wealthy and solitary. Have fun impressing her with your poor-man's flowers, cheapskate.

portrait_felicity.png
Felicity is the mayor's daughter. She has a mysterious illness.

portrait_lara.png
Lara is the hot nurse of the game. Hellooooo nurse!

portrait_lynette.png
Lynette is a commander for the military. You need to beat the main story before you can marry her.

portrait_mei.png
Mei is a mysterious girl. She looks like a ninja.

portrait_melody.png
Melody is a happy happy witch. That's the best kind of witch.

portrait_mist.png
Mist will be a familiar face. She's very eager to help you.

portrait_rosetta.png
Rosetta is a tomboy who helps out at the store.

portrait_sharon.png
Sharron is concerned about the monsters in the ruins. She's friends with the witch.

portrait_tabatha.png
Tabatha is the hot maid of Rune Factory. This game has everything!

portrait_tori.png
Tori is a shy girl who likes books.

Calender!
Each season has 30 days but each week has only six days.

SPRING
1 - New Years Day
3 - Jean's birthday
11 - Melody's birthday
13 - Neuman's birthday
18 - Spring thanksgiving
20 - Russell's birthday
23 - Egg festival
27 - Cooking contest
30 - Sebastian's birthday

SUMMER
1 - Beach Opening
3 - Jasper's birthday
8 - Bianca's birthday
12 - Cecilia's birthday
13 - Zavier's birthday
18 - Milk contest
20 - Lady Ann's birthday
23 - Godwin's birthday
26 - Exploration tournament
30 - Nicholas' birthday

FALL
1 - Mist's birthday
5 - Felicity's birthday
7 - Harvest festival
10 - Mei's birthday
12 - Tabitha's birthday
14 - Camus' birthday
17 - Moon Viewing
21 - Rosetta's birthday
24 - Wool contest
29 - Fishing day

WINTER
1 - Lara's birthday
4 - Sabrina's birthday
6 - Winter thanksgiving
8 - Edward's birthday
11 - Leo's birthday
17 - Howit's birthday
19 - Sharron's birthday
24 - Starry Night festival
26 - Tori's birthday
28 - Rude's birthday
30 - New years eve

Click here for a really good Rune Factory website.

Other Stuff?

I don't know what else to include in the OP. I don't want to spoil the entire game for myself already so I'll add more when the information becomes available, such as Wi-Fi and so on. Okay, so let's all hope the game is released on time!

Taya on

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Holy shit.

I've never heard of this, but I loves me some Harvest Moon. I must say, upon reading the OP:

WAAAAANT.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I won't be convinced that Natsume has shipped Rune Factory until I'm holding a poorly translated, buggy copy* in my own two hands.

*Just, you know, an educated guess.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game looks REALLY interesting, can't wait. That gameplay video made me pretty excited.
    Just watch Natsume somehow delay this, now.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's already been delayed a bunch of times (the gameplay video clearly says July 2007) but I figure if it's this close to the release date, it should actually come out.

Taya on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    if it's this close to the release date, it should actually come out.
    That's what we thought about Persona 3.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Their eyes scare me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just pre-ordered my copy today because I had totally forgotten it was even coming out until a few days ago. And to keep up with my insanity, I will be trying my best to marry the hardest to get girl in the game, which looks to be Mei due to the whole "You can't marry her unless you have a friend that loves farming as much as you do so they also have the game" requirement. It just doesn't feel right to marry anyone but the toughest of the bunch. I mean, I did it in FoMT. I can surely do it in this.
    Okay I didn't REALLY marry the Goddess in FoMT but that was only because I stopped playing. I met every requirement except for one fish I hadn't caught because it was only available in fall and I was in spring and I was only in year 3 instead of year 5. I could've done it though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The gameplay video makes me think it looks pretty cool (reminds me of a classic SNES RPG type game), but my mind is having a hard time wrapping itself around that this is Harvest Moon. That I am to solve a storyline and fight monsters in caves while raising crops and wooing townspeople.

I almost just wish this was a dungeon crawler or something.

I wish I could like rent this.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    IGN has Rune Factory banner ads. That's a good sign, right?

Taya on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Harvest Goddess totally isn't worth it. Not by a longshot.

The Harvest Witch now, that's what I'm talking about.

If it weren't totally glitched in the US version.

Stupid Harvest Moon DS.

Anyways, about RF. I've had the Japanese version for quite some time now. But I really suck at Japanese, so I probably shouldn't have had my brother pick it up when he was over there. Still, I like what I played, though trying to go through a HM game without knowing what the fuck you are doing is a lot harder than you'd imagine. It's very import unfriendly, moreso than a lot of other titles I've went through. Mother 3, DQ V and VI and a few more titles all easier than this fantasy farming sim.

On a slightly different note, which game is the PSP Boy and Girl based off of? It just kind of snuck up on me and I know next to nothing about it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't decide who I want to marry more, Felicity, Rosetta or Mist.

D:

I hope this is as good or (preferably) better than Friends of Mineral Town.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Stupid Harvest Moon DS.

Anyways, about RF. I've had the Japanese version for quite some time now. But I really suck at Japanese, so I probably shouldn't have had my brother pick it up when he was over there. Still, I like what I played, though trying to go through a HM game without knowing what the fuck you are doing is a lot harder than you'd imagine. It's very import unfriendly, moreso than a lot of other titles I've went through. Mother 3, DQ V and VI and a few more titles all easier than this fantasy farming sim.

On a slightly different note, which game is the PSP Boy and Girl based off of? It just kind of snuck up on me and I know next to nothing about it.

I believe it's Back to Nature; the PSone game.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Taya wrote: »

Stupid Harvest Moon DS.

I believe it's Back to Nature; the PSone game.

BtN, a game almost entirely ruined by having ridiculously long SAVING times. Hell, I can understand an unoptimized N64 sequel having bad loadtimes (it does sometimes) but the game takes forever to save. Same with FF IV on the Chronicles release.

BtN is the forerunner of Friends of Mineral Town though, so it can't be all that bad.

I'd kill a man for HM64 on the Wii's VC. Even though I own the game. Twice.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Man you think I don't know that? I know she doesn't do anything. I basically had to know because if you want any chance of marrying her, you pretty much have to look up her requirements online and they'll tell you she doesn't do crap. But if I'm going down mines to destroy my life by getting those stones for mythic tools, kappa stones, and the teleport stone, then I might as well go for the gusto and marry the goddess. At least the guys actually got to marry her though. The girls got the kappa, which is just disgusting. More disgusting than Gourmet though? I'm not sure.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, wow. I completely forgot about this game.

Looks awesome. Can't wait.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

Man you think I don't know that? I know she doesn't do anything. I basically had to know because if you want any chance of marrying her, you pretty much have to look up her requirements online and they'll tell you she doesn't do crap. But if I'm going down mines to destroy my life by getting those stones for mythic tools, kappa stones, and the teleport stone, then I might as well go for the gusto and marry the goddess. At least the guys actually got to marry her though. The girls got the kappa, which is just disgusting. More disgusting than Gourmet though? I'm not sure.

I was gifted MFoMT awhile back, from a friend who just couldn't handle the awesome. I could understand her position, as it took me about three/four years to actually play FoMT, a game that's too damn big for any system, let alone the GBA. There is almost no chance I'd ever actually play MFoMT, with its hideously ridiculous extras.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have had this reserved for the longest time. If it doesn't come this week, I will be crushed. Thank goodness Luminous Arc is coming out too. Though it'll be hard to balance the two. I just hope the new monster-combat parts aren't crap. And that it isn't buggy as hell.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll just say that this game is thankfully legitimately visually pleasing, and "Yeah for eyepatches!"

Frosteey on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I'll be damned, it looks like this will be released almost at the same time in the E.U as well. I have a feeling that my girlfriends DS will "dissappear" for a while at that date.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Natsume, you better not delay this game again or else... OR ELSE!

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    ZizZiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saved up and am picking my copy up on Wednesday if they don't delay it. Still, I'd gladly accept just one more delay if they promised it meant a good translation and no glitches. :P

EDIT: Anyone know when the PS2 Innocent Life comes out? I might try it if I have the cash when it comes out.

HM Tradition, HM Fantasy, HM Futuristic, we're missing HM Stoneage and that's about it. :P

Ziz on
    218.jpg219.jpg217.jpg220.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gaaah, I can't decide between Rune Factory, Persona 3, and Luminous Arc. Just got a DS and need something to ward away the murderous tendecies one gets from Trauma Center.

Valkun on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ziz wrote: »
    I saved up and am picking my copy up on Wednesday if they don't delay it. Still, I'd gladly accept just one more delay if they promised it meant a good translation and no glitches. :P

EDIT: Anyone know when the PS2 Innocent Life comes out? I might try it if I have the cash when it comes out.

HM Tradition, HM Fantasy, HM Futuristic, we're missing HM Stoneage and that's about it. :P

HM D20 Modern, HM40k would be quite appropriate. :P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait, are there crops that aren't growing in monster infested dungeons? Not that I mind killing my way for food and profit, but still seems kind of strange to always have to raid the undead's turnip patch.

So getting this in any case.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So wait, are there crops that aren't growing in monster infested dungeons? Not that I mind killing my way for food and profit, but still seems kind of strange to always have to raid the undead's turnip patch.

So getting this in any case.

The game is quite simple. You grow plants. You can pick them as normal, but if a plant is left whole and fully grown it recharges your stamina points (called rune points), needed for adventuring and daring do. Thats where it gets the name, Rune Factory, because you need to grow these fields in various dungeons to help you explore them without running out of juice.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm definitely going after the commander.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So violently getting this. I wish it was boy or girl like Magical Melody and Tree of Piece but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

Sharon is so mine.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    lol i made a thread about this game awhile back, and then it got delayed, and forgotten. and here we are, again! im gonna gut someone if it gets delayed again. thanks for making a new thread though, revive some interest in it

Lethardicus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Having only played A Wonderful Life, I have to say, that's a lot of bachelorette options.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So uh, how fast does time fly in this one? Is that an issue in RF? Do you run out of stamina or RP for working so hard and eventually pass out?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like how the sub title reads that this is a fantasy harvest moon, as opposed to the more serious and realistic nature as the other Harvest Moon titles.

Still, I love me some Harvest Moon.

piL on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Having only played A Wonderful Life, I have to say, that's a lot of bachelorette options.

You poor poor thing. A Wonderful Life can be good if you get into it, but its not really like the other games.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's really not like Animal Crossing at all.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Then cool. Should I check out previous Harvest Moon offerings?

This one will be my first Harvest Moon too. I think I'm gonna wait and see if I like this one before I consider investigating the back catalog.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Depends on who you ask. I think More Friends of Mineral Town is the best version out there personally followed by Magical Melody. The Wonderful Life games are at least worth trying. Harvest Moon DS would have been the absolute greatest if it hadn't been so horrifically glitched. A lot of people swear by the N64 version but Mineral Town is an updated, updated version of that already. I didn't like the N64 version myself because of the camera angle.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Friends of Mineral Town for GBA is basically the pinnacle of the series proper. HM-DS would rival it, and maybe barely edge it if it weren't so bugged out.

I've played the majority of the Harvest Moon games extensively. I played both of the Animal Crossing games for a few weeks each. I like the concept, but it just never seemed like there was much to do, and what there was wasn't all that exciting. To really accomplish anything, I pretty much needed to fiddle with the clock. And I could never arrange my house like I wanted because the furniture selections were always crappy.

The Harvest Moon games on the other hand just work in a way that pushes you to want to see tasks through to the end. Days of Harvest Moon are like turns of Civilization. Is there any deeper significance to that batch of turnips that I'll ship tomorrow? Not at all, but they're getting shipped, dammit.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, the main difference between AC and HM is in AC your day is defined by "What do I want to do today?" whereas in HM it's "This is what I need to do today and OH GOD HOW WILL I HAVE THE TIME".

They really are strategy games first and foremost.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Harvest_Moon_GBC_ScreenShot1.jpg

This was the last Harvest Moon I really played, and the one I played the most. It wasn't as fully featured as the one for the SNES at the time, but I needed to be able to farm anywhere any time damnit. Honestly, I'm afraid of what might take me if I buy this.

But if there's one thing Harvest Moon taught me, it's that a man can only truly love one thing, and so any poor woman to be seduced by my rugged good looks and honest/hardworking demeanor had best be willing to step aside. Next Harvest Moon should include domestic disputes.
    I thought Azure Dreams was Harvest Moon with magic and monsters. And one more thing: shy women are apparently always into books. I don't think they'll ever put a shy girl in a video game that likes gymnastics or glass animal statues.

piL on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man, if you only ever played the GBC games I can't understand how you like the series. They were awful.

Azure Dreams is nothing like HM. It's just a Mystery Dungeon clone.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Magical Melody is my favorite HM game, but then again, I never really got to play much of FoMT.

Either way, Rune Factory looks ridiculous. I have high hopes.

AshtonDragon on