As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Double Nosed Dogs and the People Smashing Meteorites

WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6940289.stm

I guess weird discoveries come in twos. I think the dog's more interesting, though. Apparently individuals from that breed are much more likely to be born with two noses, which supposedly makes their sense of smell even better than a normal dog's. Maybe the double nose is the next stage of dog evolution?

Windbit on

• Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That is a strange story...if they could successfully breed dogs like that they could be quite useful for certain things. In the story the dog is described as aggressive more than once, that could hamper their usefulness if that breed of dog is aggressive.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't read the story.

I think China may be involved.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seems like the double nosed ones also have a tendency to die young.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "This breed could be used for sniffing out mines or narcotics because they have an enhanced sense of smell."

Futurama_morbo.jpg
    "That is not how noses work!"

Glal on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    That is a strange story...if they could successfully breed dogs like that they could be quite useful for certain things. In the story the dog is described as aggressive more than once, that could hamper their usefulness if that breed of dog is aggressive.

Maybe he just hates smelly people twice as much as an average dog.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't read the story.

I think China may be involved.

BBC's blocked in China. Badge of honour really.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

Maybe he just hates smelly people twice as much as an average dog.

then i fart in his general direction!

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the real story here is that there's an explorer in the Amazon called Colonel Blashford-Snell. I mean, come on, I wouldn't expect to see a name like that outside of a Edgar Rice Burroughs novel.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That doesn't look like two noses. It looks like one nose split in two. He has two half noses.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I say, Blashford-Snell, the quality of these primitive people is quite better than those on that excursion to Ghana.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will... did you put "the" infront of the thread title?

Johannen on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DarkHawke wrote: »
    I think the real story here is that there's an explorer in the Amazon called Colonel Blashford-Snell. I mean, come on, I wouldn't expect to see a name like that outside of a Edgar Rice Burroughs novel.

You don't hear those kinds of names very often because people like them keep being sent into jungles.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

What?

No!

[tiny]maybe[/tiny]

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »

What?

No!

[tiny]maybe[/tiny]

[tiny]Another cool feature of the new forums rears its head, it seems. Is there a list of these tags anywhere?[/tiny]

jothki on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's pretty interesting. How would something with two noses smell, I wonder.
    Terrible, I'll wager.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    "This breed could be used for sniffing out mines or narcotics because they have an enhanced sense of smell."
    Futurama_morbo.jpg
    "NOSES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait... how DO noses work?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im pretty sure that having two noses would enhance your sense of smell (more receptors = better sense - it's why one-nosed dogs have a better sense of smell than humans), so unless there's some kind of nose-brain interface thing going on here...

Also:

My dog has two noses!
    How does he smell?

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can see it now the perfect dog...

Four noses! Two normal eyes, and one chameleon eye in the center! Giant ears that can be used as wings! Two long, powerful, double jointed legs! A tail that can fire poison-tipped darts!

Windbit on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    It's not the bit outside that detects scents, it's the receptors inside the snout. Unless he has two snouts or his snout is twice as large as normal, neither of which seems to be the case from the photos provided, this is not so.

Glal on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, it looks like each of those noses only has one nostril (as Al_wat said). So he might be able to smell a wider area because his nostrils are further spaced, but the actual smelling receptors are further back.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    The GlockThe Glock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why does the article tell you that he likes salty biscuits?!

The Glock on
    Hard at work on this side,
    Let the truth magnify,
    Devils can't stop me,
    But they damn sure try...

-Mos Def
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Two noses shouldn't make a considerable difference to the number of receptors, seeing as most are in the muzzle. Maybe inter nose comparison is better than inter nostril comparison, but that should only be useful for scent tracking. Maybe they're just overestimating these dogs' abilities.

I wonder if the dog has a differently formed vomeronasal organ; it might explain some of his aggression. Or maybe he's just a bit of a dick.

Low Key on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Glock wrote: »
    Why does the article tell you that he likes salty biscuits?!

Because wookita coot ittle doggie.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it possible that he has double the number of receptors up in there?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    the tongue works as part of smelling, so it's more like 1.5x the smelling power.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    It's not the bit outside that detects scents, it's the receptors inside the snout. Unless he has two snouts or his snout is twice as large as normal, neither of which seems to be the case from the photos provided, this is not so.
    Could the sniff receptors be denser owing to the fact that it's duplicate organs?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't think it's likely an animal would have a sensory organ as huge as a canid's nose without getting as much crammed in there as possible by default.

Glal on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, there's no way to no until someone takes a look inside the dog, but I'm suspicious as to why two noses makes it sense of smell any better than one. Tracking smells maybe, but even that's a stretch.

Low Key on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He spotted a rare breed of Double-Nosed Andean tiger hound, which has two noses, on a recent trip to Bolivia.

Apparently this writer works for the department of redundancy department.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Two noses shouldn't make a considerable difference to the number of receptors, seeing as most are in the muzzle. Maybe inter nose comparison is better than inter nostril comparison, but that should only be useful for scent tracking. Maybe they're just overestimating these dogs' abilities.

I wonder if the dog has a differently formed vomeronasal organ; it might explain some of his aggression. Or maybe he's just a bit of a dick.

Just sounds like that Gregory is a bad influence to me, you know how pigs are.

As for two noses, would it be better far as working out the direction from which smells are coming from? Guess that would depend on how long two nosed dogs have been around.

Tastyfish on