As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lifetime for Men - The SciFi Channel

amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhourThe woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Social Entropy++
So my girlfriend called me on this the other day.... I noticed her switching to lifetime to watch yet another "battered and abused" movie starring John Stamos and/or (insert washed up soap opera actress here) and I remarked on how lame those movies are, and she immediately called my bullshit on this, reminding me that I'm constantly watching the SciFi channel, which is notorious for doing the exact same thing, but subbing the "battered woman" for the "killer mutant (insert animal DNA here)"

Anyone else like the SciFi channel, excited about the new lineup? Still watching Enterprise on Mondays? Does the new Flash Gordon suck or what? Personally, I'm not a fan of the new Flash Gordon. Ming should be a horrible stereotype, and they shouldn't be jumping back and forth between dimensions. That's just me though.

are YOU on the beer list?
amateurhour on

• Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1187192597035.jpg

Trexy on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i only watch sci-fi for the outdated movies and 50-year-old twilight zone episodes

potatoe on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPERHERO

Green on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ming was the only thing I didn't like about the new Flash Gordon. He should be a horrible stereotype.

I liked everything else about it though.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually I did kind of like that Fear Tactics show they used to have

"Oh no a giant rat mutant running around a laboratory"

Green on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    SpikeTV is Lifetime for men.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    553659785548b9c2ff7oxj3.gif

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sci Fi has the best awful movies on the weekends. Like not even good enough for a direct-to-dvd release. The titles are always one or two words: The Basilisk, Gargoyles, Alien Apocalypse, etc etc. so good to watch when you have nothing better to do.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Sci Fi has the best awful movies on the weekends. Like not even good enough for a direct-to-dvd release. The titles are always one or two words: The Basilisk, Gargoyles, Alien Apocalypse, etc etc. so good to watch when you have nothing better to do.
    They had one about space vampires that I guiltily enjoyed. Michael Ironsides was in it.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I am looking forward to Sam being on Atlantis next season.

Also, Jewel Staite.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Honestly though, half the reason I watch SciFi is for the commercials. Their commercials rock.

Can anyone relate?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SojakFA wrote: »
    Honestly though, half the reason I watch SciFi is for the commercials. Their commercials rock.

Can anyone relate?

They don't play the head-on commercials so they're ok in my book.

MKR on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

S.S. DOOMTROOPER oh man was that movie dumb. But I do watch them when I have nothing else to watch.

I watched Scifi all the time for Stargate and some of the better series/ mini series they show.

M.D. on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    The had one about space vampires that I guiltily enjoyed. Michael Ironsides was in it.

Oh man, I never heard of this, but it sounds awesome. Looking it up on imdb, its called Bloodsuckers, and is described as "Buffy meets Star Trek in a Mad Max world". I hope this is out in dvd.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Can anyone relate?

You mean the one where the guy inflates a dog like balloon by blowing into its asshole?

Green on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This is probably more true than it being SciFi. But I do loves me some Scifi Channel.

Ghost hunters? Yes please.

They were running Dead Like Me for awhile as well and that was some great stuff too.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

No it's not.

Well... maybe a little.

Lifetime makes an effort to try to be supportive of women and portray women in a positive way while still appealing to interests that are common among women (with a dose of "ZOMG M3N R T3H 3VIL!!1!")

SpikeTV merely panders to all that idiotic stereotypes applied to men because nobody's got the balls to stand up and tell the mainstream media that not all men are beer-swilling, car-obsessed, violence-loving, emotionally stunted ignorami.

The former doesn't appeal to me, the latter offends me, so I'm stuck watching Grey's Anatomy (which I love intensely) on CBS.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    S-S-S-S-S-S-Supernaturaaaaaaaal

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Werrick wrote: »

No it's not.

Well... maybe a little.

Lifetime makes an effort to try to be supportive of women and portray women in a positive way while still appealing to interests that are common among women (with a dose of "ZOMG M3N R T3H 3VIL!!1!")

SpikeTV merely panders to all that idiotic stereotypes applied to men because nobody's got the balls to stand up and tell the mainstream media that not all men are beer-swilling, car-obsessed, violence-loving, emotionally stunted ignorami.

The former doesn't appeal to me, the latter offends me, so I'm stuck watching Grey's Anatomy (which I love intensely) on CBS.
    Both channels by their very nature appeal to gender stereotypes.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    1187192597035.jpg

lawlchair.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SpikeTV is G4 for people like the writers for G4.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Green wrote: »

Can anyone relate?

You mean the one where the guy inflates a dog like balloon by blowing into its asshole?

Yeah, the stuff like that.

MKR, not the regular product commercials. The little 10 second clips for SciFi channel they show before the show comes back on.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

Can anyone relate?

Yeah, that one's just creepy.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Geek wrote: »

Can anyone relate?

Gotta wonder who thought that one was a good idea.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw Killer Klowns from Outer Space on the Sci-Fi channel, and I've never really forgiven it since.
    That film was actually fucking hilarious, thinking about it.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    bent wrote: »
    I saw Killer Klowns from Outer Space on the Sci-Fi channel, and I've never really forgiven it since.
    That film was actually fucking hilarious, thinking about it.

That is a fantastic movie

Green on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

Can anyone relate?

Gotta wonder who thought that one was a good idea.

:winky:

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPERHERO

Mr. Mitzvah got cut.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, do they still show those crazy UFO documentaries and whatnot?

I love that sort of shit.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Man, do they still show those crazy UFO documentaries and whatnot?

I love that sort of shit.

Recently they've been doing alot of ghost stuff. My room mates watch all of them.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I was watching that star trek movie.. Generations? on the tv. the one where data has his emotion chip in during most of it.

anyways they cut out the bit at the end where Data finds his cat spot in the wreckage of the enterprise, still alive and he starts to cry. the best fucking scene in that movie was cut out. I was so upset

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    they had first contact on the other day, too, but I had just watched it the other day, so I didn't record it.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    I was watching that star trek movie.. Generations? on the tv. the one where data has his emotion chip in during most of it.

anyways they cut out the bit at the end where Data finds his cat spot in the wreckage of the enterprise, still alive and he starts to cry. the best fucking scene in that movie was cut out. I was so upset

Data was the best part of that entire movie

The rest I could take or leave

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

Data was the best part of that entire movie

The rest I could take or leave

"Oh shit"

also killing off kirk was so lame

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I mean seriously. scotty has been brought back from the past already. kirk and scotty teaming would've been so awesome

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kirk is lamesauce, whatever. It's all about Sisko.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mysst wrote: »

sisko is cool when he's not being jesus

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mysst wrote: »

I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT!

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Eureka is the shit too. Not like from a butt or anything, but THE shit. It's f'ing hard to follow if you missed season one, but basically it's about some shmo who ends up on the wrong backroad and goes into a government run town of supergeniuses, so he becomes Andy Griffith there.

The best movies are the team ups, like Boa vs Python, which came after boa and python. Plus, scifi totally owns the genetically engineered shark franchise, and lou diamond phillips. They own him too.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    eureka is a neat premise but the show is so boring. maybe its all the no name, un-talented actors in it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg