As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do YOU study?

joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So yeah, 1st D&D thread. Flame on guys.

With mid-semester exams approaching, once again I find myself searching for the *perfect* way to study. Each and every year i try and improve my methods, hoping to boost my test taking potential. So far one of the more effective ways has been to consume large amounts of caffiene and sugar, crank on some metal, and stare at my notes and attempt re-write them in a creative *new* way. Then rinse and repeat. Seems to sorta work, but always in exams I seem to break out in stupid. Oh well.

Previous methods of mine include, but weren't limited to:

Having a beer or two while studying -> often failed cause I drank more than two.
Listening to classical music -> failed cause that got as boring as hell
Studying outside -> Got sunburnt
Group study -> partially sucessful, but usually ended up talking rather than studying.
Absolute Silence -> went insane.

Thats me. Now for the Debate and Discourse part. Have you any, in your opinion, sure fire study methods? How do you study? Do you think there are methods that apply to everyone and anyone, or do you think we all need our own methods. Does rote learning work, and should we bring it back? Are exams stupid?

TL;DR - Study Sucks. How do you study?

joshua1 on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Somehow I've managed to do it. Finding the subject really interesting helps a lot. Looking back I'm really not sure how - I do remember history was really easy because I just ended up reading the text book so many times that it got to the point I could recite it word for word at one stage.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not good at just memorizing blocks of text, so I find I have to read a section, then stop at the end and go back over it making sure I understand the whole concept then make point form notes. It made grasping complex chapters and concepts a lot easier for me. And as a bonus you end up with a little Cole's notes version to go along with your textbook and full length notes.

Also I don't find studying in a group works too well, but getting together after to quiz each other before the test helps a ton in my experience.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frankly I'm happy I don't have to study any more in useless ways - all my reading is now done because I genuinely need to know about stuff which has utility to me in a non-nebulous way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I seem to have a problem where I read page after page of the textbook, then suddenly it occurs to me that I actually haven't taken ANY of it in. Then i have to read it again. Then again. I try to break it into small parts to examine in detail, but that gets very tiresome fast. Unfortunatly, that does seem to work. So tiresome = win i guess

joshua1 on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Somehow, I got through college alright, and I had horrible study habits.

So I might be pretty much the worst person to ask about this.

But I want to reiterate perhaps the most important point: studying works so much better if you do it a couple times a week the two weeks before an exam, as opposed to a couple (or one) marathon session(s) the night(s) before.

But I'm the worst person to ask about it, ever.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    CalciumCalcium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So far I've been highlighting key passages in textbooks. Then I read over these passages and tag them. Seems to work a little better than regular reading as you're concentrating on extracting the key information.

Then again, I have the same problem as you.

Calcium on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I try to do much of my studying WAY before the exam. I have a similar problem as others here where, if I try to just read out of a textbook, I'll read and read and not really retain any of it. So instead, I try to take very clear and concise notes in class, both from the textbook and the lecture. Then I try and read that section of text again soon afterward to help with retention. Then, when I go to study for an exam, I have my short outlines in my notes, and I can recall specifics as I'm going over them.

The other thing that helps too is to do the large block of studying the day before the exam, but then to also do a fairly intensive study session in the hours before the exam. The problem is that, as more time goes on, the less you retain. If you go over your stuff right before the exam one more time in an organized way, you'll have much better retention.

Of course, this applies to non-Math courses. For Math/Physics/Engineering stuff, I just do as many problems as possible in the week leading up to the exam, and then do nothing for a full day before the exam to keep my stress levels low. This has served me fairly well so far.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A couple of things I do;

I usually get the best results taking notes, and then just going over the notes. And then once I have the key points fairly ingrained, I'll read the wall of text again. With the key notes already memorized, it helps further segment the wall of text and usually it will fill in the rest of the cracks in my mental picture.

Also a good way to measure how well you have it down is to pretend to, or really if someone will listen, explain to someone what you're studying. if it's fairly seamless then you have it down. if it's extremely fragmented and vague, well...

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would read the section, then attempt to write a summary of it. If I couldn't write the summary, or if after finishing it didn't contain all the important parts, I'd repeat the process. Boring, but it worked.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get away from the internet. Too distracting. Likewise, no music, no TV, no outdoors. Nothing, basically. Anything is more interesting than studying, therefore I have to cut off everything to manage to study.

I usually study alone. I like to make a list of things to do (chapters to read, problems to solve, and so on) and mark them off as I go along. That way I can see myself making progess. It's motivating.

I once tried to put the notebook under my pillow while I slept. Didn't work.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah, I too have tried gaining knowledge via osmosis. I was heart-broken. What about studying for particular subjects? For example, im very heavy on the biology this semester, so is there a *better* way for studying that?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »
    yeah, I too have tried gaining knowledge via osmosis. I was heart-broken. What about studying for particular subjects? For example, im very heavy on the biology this semester, so is there a *better* way for studying that?
    Disect stuff? I know my bio textbook was boring as hell, and when I read through to the bottom of a page I couldn't remember what it said at the top, but I remember disections pretty clearly after all these years.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When I studied, I talked to myself a lot. Not in a normal, occasional "A-HA!" kind of way, more of a sing-songy, scary mental patient kind of way, chattering to myself about vector calculus and trigonometric integrals.

Does that help you? Probably not. I think it works, though, because things you actually say stick easier than things you only read. To this day, I will start chattering with myself if I'm working on a math- or logic-related problem and there's nobody around to hear me.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes I also imagine myself teaching the topic to someone else, as opposed to just learning it. It's a different perspective. It helps. Sometimes.

Also, it's nothing like actually teaching a topic.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bet it depends on what you're studying.

But I had good luck with the "explaining it to myself" routine, either out loud or interior monologue.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've never studied for a test in my life.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't studied much since 6th grade but to say never would be a blatant lie. I usually go with a movie on (but I always have this going on so it might as well be nothing) and also being on here. I'll do about 20 minutes of focused work, read a little forum, and then go back (retesting on what I've already read).

It works well enough. when I actually study I do well. This is also my method for writing papers.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Badly

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I just close the door and study. I lose myself to whatever I'm doing pretty quickly.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not much good at studying, but I'm pretty good at retaining information presented in lectures, so I do OK at Uni by going to all my lectures and listening intently. Studying I can do, but I reckon 80% of the stuff I'd put down in an exam is stuff I remember from lectures rather than from reading textbooks.

Anyway, one tidbit I'll offer is that listening to music I know is terrible, I always want to sing along. If it's loud, if it's quiet, it doesn't matter, I'll follow the song rather than the stuff I'm reading. I also hate perfect silence when studying.
    So- put the radio on quietly, a station which doesn't play music you hate but also won't constantly play songs you to which you know the words. Or study somewhere with an acceptable low level of background noise that you won't find yourself trying to follow along with :).

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What really helps for me, back when I had friends in the same class, is to study as a group. Not a large group. I'd say no more than 3 people. And it would help if the friends weren't retards and were smarter than you so you actually get something out of it. Take turns testing each other on the material and help each other come up with ways to remember the facts. Or if it's not a "facts" type of class (math) then each of you print out a copy of the study guide or practice problems and start working on them individually, and if you get stuck your friend is right there to help you out and explain how he got that and vice vs. I fucking love studying with a friend.

TheBog on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't study with other people, nor can I really do any work, either.

Also, I need the TV on when I write/study. I have no idea why I just cannot study/write/read without this background noise/light.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Depends what you are studying. If its just something you have to read and remember, I will usually read the material about twice.

With anything involving math, you just do as many problems as you can and then you study the solutions to your problems afterwards as a refresher. If you know that you can do any type of question you would reasonably see in that course, you're probably good.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Naked. Rage Against The Machine. 2 am the night before. The only way.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I reread my notes once, just a nice once over, and then go to bed.

Maybe I'll review a couple things that aren't sticking while I chomp down breakfast (You do eat breakfast before a test right?)

Then, right before the test I just close my eyes, focus on my breathing and think about nothing but that.

Works like a charm for me, your mileage may vary.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I reread my notes once, just a nice once over, and then go to bed.

Maybe I'll review a couple things that aren't sticking while I chomp down breakfast (You do eat breakfast before a test right?)

Then, right before the test I just close my eyes, focus on my breathing and think about nothing but that.

Works like a charm for me, your mileage may vary.
    This is what I do. I know I'm probably not a special case in this regard either, because most of my friends do this. Foreign language classes are the only instance in which this might not work. They're a little more hard core than your average class.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, for language classes you pretty much should try to study everyday.

Assuming you have a good teacher, just hit the homework hard and learn it inside out and you should do fine. The real problem with language classes is if you get behind, because everything just builds on top of itself.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, for language classes you pretty much should try to study everyday.

Assuming you have a good teacher, just hit the homework hard and learn it inside out and you should do fine. The real problem with language classes is if you get behind, because everything just builds on top of itself.
    I'm worried about the fact that I got a C in my 102 class, because I have 201 coming up.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Just review your old books/notes or try to get buddy buddy with someone who knows the language better then you, preferably a cute girl.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just review your old books/notes or try to get buddy buddy with someone who knows the language better then you, preferably a cute girl.
    Eh, the only cute girl I can consult with is my best friend's girlfriend.

I'll just have to get help from my male friend that looks like a girl. That's kinda similar.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Whatever tickles your fancy mate.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a BFA major in Acting, so studying is few and far between. We make up for it with hours upon hours of rehearsal and memorization

However, for the occasional class I do have to take that requires studying, I usually employ the "flash card" method. I also find that designating a study partner helps. It won't end in talking if you refuse to leave until the shit is memorized and learned.

That's how I roll.

Double_Faces on
    SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't study (or even read) with music on unless it's completely instrumental, so usually I just go for silence (although I do need to have a fan or something running to keep that horrible dead-silent ringing out of my head).

Aside from that, I just pray the topic is interesting and read away.

Unless it's math. Then I do as many practice problems as I can get my hands on until I completely understand the process. I do prefer that, since it seems like more of a conclusion. If you can do a problem without messing up, making sure to navigate around the twists and tricks they might try to throw at you, then you're done studying. It's a lot easier to tell when you can do that than to tell when you've committed to memory the important bits out of chapters and chapters of information.

Also, this.

Taximes on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll review the key points of the material with as little effort as possible. I find that the more effort I put into studying, the more effort it takes to retrieve. It's like putting boxes in a closet. If you bury things back in a deep corner, you have to drag them out of that corner to get them back. If you stash them at the threshold, they're right there waiting for you when you return.

It's a shit analogy but it's the only way I can explain it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I'll review the key points of the material with as little effort as possible. I find that the more effort I put into studying, the more effort it takes to retrieve. It's like putting boxes in a closet. If you bury things back in a deep corner, you have to drag them out of that corner to get them back. If you stash them at the threshold, they're right there waiting for you when you return.

It's a shit analogy but it's the only way I can explain it.

I am the exact same way. I usually attribute it my to subconscious though. I rely on it to retrieve general knowledge when it is needed, so when I over study I rely to much on the part of my brain the isn't meant to store information permanently and it reaches a limit and/or dumps the whole lot.

The subconscious to me is like those teeny tiny however many kilobyte procedural games. Everything you need is right there, in a neat set of processes used to abstract important information into usable knowledge.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When it's for a Spanish class, I use flash cards and study with friends who are in the class with me. It really helps a lot. I've never used flashcards before (or outside of) my college Spanish classes, though.

For everything else, I write and rewrite what I need to know, usually while listening to some good music (read: mewithoutYou, Of Montreal, Death Cab, or if I'm writing a paper, Jay-Z) that will keep me awake but won't distract me.

The most effective way I've found to study is to get together with someone who really doesn't understand much about something you have a fairly good grasp on, and then teaching them all about it. For me, there is nothing more effective.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was a crammer during college, never took notes during class, didn't study at all until the night before the test then i'd just sit down with the book and re-read the chapters over and over again from around 6 pm to 4 in the morning, grab a couple hours sleep and be off to write it...man i don't know how i graduated.. and thats for long answer, for multiple choice i'd spend a couple hours reading the book the night before if it was a big test like a midterm or final, but thats it

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks to the horrible school system here, I haven't had to study for a year and a half and now I'm going to be dumped right into classes preparing me for my Leaving Cert(Like the S.A.T.'s I think... its the test which determines whether you get into college or not). I'm royally fucked :D

Tav on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It took me until half way through my third year of uni to work out how I study best. Up until then I'd sat alone in my room just reading through my notes and making notes upon them. I noticed this wasn't working when I scraped a pass in two exams which I should have destroyed (it didn't help I was jetlagged, but I didn't use that as an excuse given how badly I did).

From that point on I'd work in the library and I'd just set off doing the problem classes (the work from the weekly or fortnightly classes in which we were given questions relating to the course as an aid to making sure we understood). Once I'd completed every question the lecturer had given us I'd start on doing past exam papers. Notes and text books were only used as and when a question required me to look something up.

I worked from nine until at least five (sometimes I worked until the library closed at about ten if I was getting behind). I worked at a table with my friends but I had my MP3 player so I could effectively shut them out if I wanted. When a friend can't do something explaining the answer to them is a great way of learning, as the exam draws closer I spent roughly a third of my day helping others (it's a tactic which might be a little counter intuitive as really you want everybody else to do badly in their exams). Just before the exam I'd give my notes a full read through to ensure that there wasn't a section which had escaped my notice somehow.

As I went along I also wrote down all the little facts and formulae that weren't going to be provided in the exam. I'd write a few copies of this sheet the night before the exam.

To avoid insanity, I'd go for a coffee a few times a day. But yes, the revision periods sucked, but my technique worked as I got a first.

The problem with this is that id doesn't transfer to work outside of science type exams. I used to struggle with motivating myself to write essays or lab reports (I eventually accepted I simply could not work at home and so would sit in the computer room listening to music and doing my best to avoid the distraction offered by the internet).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To clarify, I still have not figured out how to study. High school, where I never studied and got A's, left me quite unprepared for my first year of college. One of the big distractions is the internet. And being in the library makes me depressed... so big.. and quiet..
    Like when we have a few days off for studying for finals.. I never manage to study until the very last day, even though I try very very hard to study.. I don't understand why I never can. I try, but it just never happens, and I waste entire days.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo