As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh my god(s)! (Edman's New Stuff) [nsf56k]

EdmanEdman Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
Here's what I've been up to lately...

portrait08082007.png

Also, granted, I'm definitely no Moss, but I thought I might do a few shirts.
I went with Cafepress, as I've bought a couple of their shirts before, and liked the quality.
Anyhow, the next two are pretty much redos of older art.

sageredux.png
playinggodredux.png

Also, with e campaign season coming up, I thought it might be a nice time to get in on the action.
The first one was something I saw a while ago, but thought I could do better, and the second was something I came up with on a whim.

votecthulhu08.png
votelavos08.png

Have at it, gentlemen (and ladies).

Edman on

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LAVOS '08 - A CANDIDATE FOR THE AGES would work better, I think. I mean, I guess. The real changes line doesn't make sense to me there.

I like the rest of it.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I like that slogan too, although I opted for the more subtle approach.
    As far as an explanation goes, knowing full well it will kill the joke, I would say that when Lavos emerged, it caused some massive changes (ie: wiping out civilization for the most part, new ice age, etc).

The joke is now dead. So sad.

Edman on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    If you switched to the slogan "A candidate for the ages" I would totally throw down for that Lavos image on a shirt.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I may take you guys up on that, and change the slogan.
    Any other suggestions?

Edman on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    sageredux.png

I can't help but see this as a two parter, where in the following scene, a random normal fellow has just ran up and booted him into the horizon.. And of course I laugh.

He's... just so bootable...

Interesting stuff though. I know I'm a bad for asking, but is the campaign related to Zelda bosses?

Shiboe on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shiboe wrote: »
    I know I'm a bad for asking, but is the campaign related to Zelda bosses?

How did you get Zelda bosses from Lavos and Cthulhu?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shiboe wrote: »
    I know I'm a bad for asking, but is the campaign related to Zelda bosses?

How did you get Zelda bosses from Lavos and Cthulhu?

He's probably just taking a stab in the dark, which is a fair assertion.

And Shiboe, Cthulhu is from the dark and tormented mind of the writer H.P. Lovecraft while Lavos hails from the SNES game Chrono Trigger.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like the limited palette and simplicity of the paintings. They seem to work very well together. I'd probably stay away from rougher pieces like that bottom t-shirt design and focus on making everything very smooth, it seems to work better at keeping the eye focused from a design perspective.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks Rolo, I'll definitely keep that in mind. It seems to be my forte.

In any case, about the Lavos design. I went back and forth with the slogan for a while, but after doing a lot more polling, the original one seemed to come out on top. Thanks everyone for the input.

Also, a new piece. It's a reworking of an old piece, made with a t-shirt in mind, (you can buy one here if you want.) but also making some changes that I'd anted to make for a while now. Two birds, one stone, etc.

reapingandsowingredux.png

Edman on
  • Options
    HythlothHythloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love your use of colors in that latest picture; i also like the trees in the background juxtaposed with the newspaper-like tree in the forefront.

And I love the Lavos "real changes" slogan. He does go through... a lot of... real changes.

Hythloth on
  • Options
    XerusXerus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Please change the slogan of Lavos to the suggested one, and then produce t-shirts so that I may buy one. Also stickers.

Xerus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xerus: Sorry friend, I may consider a PA:AC special edition shirt in the future, but for now I'll be keeping the design as is.

In any case, been trying to stir the creatives juices (flex the creative muscles, maybe? these analogies never work out so well.) lately, primarily using two exercises:

The first, I have created a template of a city backdrop. I am now working on making 13 different monsters to destroy that city. Here is the first in that series.

monstrareI.png

The second exercise is to just pull ideas from a random phrase generator, and just keep working on it in an improvisational way, until I stumble across something nice, or until I'm done. It's a great way to make really random stuff.

Anyhow, this one's called "chimera's day off."

chimerasdayoff.png

Edman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xerus wrote: »
    Please change the slogan of Lavos to the suggested one, and then produce t-shirts so that I may buy one. Also stickers.

For realz. I dig the design, but changing the slogan would tip the scales for me to actually lay down money for it.

• Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would buy the T-shirt too.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Xerus wrote: »

For realz. I dig the design, but changing the slogan would tip the scales for me to actually lay down money for it.

If the slogan on the shirt was real, and I were advising that person, I'd also suggest you change it. Don't talk about the other guy! You're giving him free promotions!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I'm not sure who this "other guy" is, but I went ahead and made a special PA:AC edition of the shirt, just because you guys were so persistent.

You can find it here.
    Also, you can find buttons which only have Lavos and the LAVOS '08 here.

So there it is.
    Anyhow, have a look around while you're there, tell me what you think. I have some of the stuff from further up on this page in the store as well.

Edman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is the bee's knees! Is that screenprinted on there? I've never ordered a Cafepress shirt, how's the quality?

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Mars: They use something called "direct printing," which embeds the ink directly into the fiber. The result is a much softer feel than screenprinting, though not quite as durable. I've bought one myself on a lighter shirt, and the quality seems pretty nice. The shirt has held up through a number of washes, so I don't think durability is a huge issue.

Also, new piece for "monstrum" series:

monstrareII.png

Edman on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmmm, I wonder how that'll look on a darker Tee. Regardless, I'll take my $20 chance on it when I get my student loans next month.

• Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow $25 is more then I thought it was going to be, but hell yeah!

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, that's my one small issue with Cafepress...their base price is pretty high.
    I have *very* little markup on the shirts, but I hope that the quality of the art will make up the difference in people's minds.

I bought a sample of one of my shirts last night, but it was a lighter shirt. Let me know how the darker ones come out.

Edman on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haha, awesome. I'm totally going to grab one of these shirts.

Ein on
  • Options
    Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Chimera is very cute, Ed. I love your style and use of color.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh crap I just noticed there were buttons! C'mon hurry up and get here student loans!

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Dead China Doll.
    Here's the new one:

monstrareIII.png

Also, I've been working hard and finally got my new website up and running.
    Link is in my sig for those who want to see it.

Edman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I like your site layout, do you use wordpress for that?

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Mars. No, I didn't - I pulled a template from this guy, and kept tweaking it until it matched what I wanted.

Edman on
  • Options
    Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love how the city encircles the squid fiend. Very nice touch.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ok, new stuff. I've been working on a story to accompany most of my art, so thing shave slowed down a bit.
    First, new piece, Monstrare IV:

monstrareIV.png

Next up, new merchandise. This one you can find on my site, and it comes as a t-shirt, tote bag, and buttons.:

thetree.png

Also, and this would be great to know - if anybody here has bought something, could you PM me or e-mail me and let me know the quality of the product? I've bought a couple things to test, but haven't seen the dark shirts in particular.

Thanks.

Edman on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like the tree-fetus (...tree-tus?)

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You know, I think I called it a tree-tus the other day while talking to a friend.
    Seems like the logical name for it.

Edman on