Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

God of War II- Kratos is an asshole

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I've been playing GoWII for a while now and its pretty great. I love it how they have a whole civilization's mythology and pretty much decide the player is going to have to kill everything in it. I'm up to
Spoiler:
.

I have been constantly amazed whilst playing through this game just how much of an evil bastard kratos is. There are some of the terrible things you do, including and not limited to:
Spoiler:

This game got alot of praise at release, but everyone seems to have forgotten about it. So far its probably my favourite game of the year. I don't think a game has ever provoked a feeling of moral disgust in me before, but Kratos (and by extension you) are pretty much that evil.

Its pretty freakin hard too.
So...
spear or blades?
favourite finisher?
best 'kratos moment'?
favourite figure from greek mythology you brutally murdered?

DodgeBlan on
OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
«1

Posts

  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, this game kicked a lot of ass, probably my favorite game this year so far. I liked it a lot more than the first one - the brutality, the sheer fun, it all came together to form a really great game. The ending was super cool too.
    Spoiler:

    I enjoyed walking around fucking up my favorite characters from Greek Mythology. The fight with
    Spoiler:
    was awesome.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The spear was fucking amazing, and damn near necessary on the higher difficulties... being able to poke enemies away from you was a godsend.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User
    edited August 2007
    I picked it up recently after finishing the first one. For me to make it through a game with such ridiculous jumping and spinning blade bullshit it has to be a terrific game. The awesome story and setting pushed me through the first one, on easy mode albeit.

    Once I finish Tomb Raider Legend, and Bioshock I'll be revisiting Kratos and his warped sense of morals.

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God of War II is definitely my favourite game of the year so far and probably still will be by the end of it, seeing as I won't be able to play Bioshock until I get my new computer next year.

    Favourite moment? Well it's been a while since I've played it so I can't actually remember too much. Uh, I guess:
    Spoiler:

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I loved God of War, but GoWII was a little disappointing for me, I'm not entirely sure why either.

    7civoyfa87k5.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I loved God of War, but GoWII was a little disappointing for me, I'm not entirely sure why either.

    I fully agree. Once the launch hype faded, GoWII really just felt like more of the same.

    I mean, it was okay, but it really paled compared to the arc of the original. The original went from 0 to 60 almost instantly and never let off the throttle (aside from the spinning blade hell of Hades); the sequel went from 60 to maybe 65, and it really felt stretched out for the sake of Padding The Trilogy, which I hate with most trilogy-based media nowadays. The only really notable part of the game for me was
    Spoiler:

    Everything else just felt like a retread of moments from the original.

    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • cemetery mancemetery man Registered User
    edited August 2007
    I'm just not looking forward to the flying parts. When they showed those unfinished levels in the first one's special features I was just thinking " oh fuck I'm gonna have to fly over and under spikes in the sequel."

  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought it was great fun. It was so great i beat it, then went right back in on extra hard mode.
    Spoiler:

    Witchsight.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Spoiler:

    sig_zpsf0994cbd.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Spoiler:

    That's Theseus.

  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I loved God of War II. It was visceral and brutal and I felt like a goddamned badass the entire time I was playing it. Kratos is one evil motherfucker and is one of my favorite characters EVER.

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Who was that blue titan who got wrecked by Hades in that cutscene?

    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I thought it was great fun. It was so great i beat it, then went right back in on extra hard mode.
    Spoiler:

    Hehe, I had almost this same experience.

    I liked the second game much more than the first. Yes, it doesn't have quite the arc that the first story did, but it is a giant, epic continuation and build-up to the third game. I also think it's the best looking PS2 title.

    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • GinoGino Registered User
    edited August 2007
    My friend and I just went Halvesy's on this game and are playing the shit out of it. Originally I thought it was going to be across 2 disc but after 15 hours I had to look agian and see that the second disc was "Special Features".

    Still an awesome game. I'm to the sisters Island and am probably getting pretty close to the end.


    Here are my complaints though:

    Puzzles can be rediculasly diffecult. The one puzzle where you have to lower the spikes and freeze time and then lower a door with a crank... I did it about 15 times before I realized that I wasn't supposed to raise the door completely... GAAA frustrating. Also when I walk into a room and they show me like fifteen things that are all going to be part of a some silly puzzle I want to tare my hair out. The puzzles stop being fun at 8 hours and start getting tedious.

    I fighting is still fantastic though. I just really didn't enjoy the palace before you get to the sister Island and this sisters Island seems like it's going to be more of the same.

  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gino wrote: »
    My friend and I just went Halvesy's on this game and are playing the shit out of it. Originally I thought it was going to be across 2 disc but after 15 hours I had to look agian and see that the second disc was "Special Features".

    Still an awesome game. I'm to the sisters Island and am probably getting pretty close to the end.


    Here are my complaints though:

    Puzzles can be rediculasly diffecult. The one puzzle where you have to lower the spikes and freeze time and then lower a door with a crank... I did it about 15 times before I realized that I wasn't supposed to raise the door completely... GAAA frustrating. Also when I walk into a room and they show me like fifteen things that are all going to be part of a some silly puzzle I want to tare my hair out. The puzzles stop being fun at 8 hours and start getting tedious.

    I fighting is still fantastic though. I just really didn't enjoy the palace before you get to the sister Island and this sisters Island seems like it's going to be more of the same.

    See, I enjoyed the puzzles. I thought they were well-made and hard enough to keep my interest.

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited August 2007
    I pretty much hated the first game, the combat was just way too dull for me and the best moments were all split up by 'Kill 50 bad guys, backtrack to here, solve puzzle, kil 50 bad guys, pretty cool moment, kill 50 bad guys, repeat' I loved GoW 2 though because all the gameplay to me consisted of 'Kill 50 bad guys while figuring out puzzle during an awesome moment'. The first just felt a little too disjointed to me but GoW 2 felt very smooth, never boring and always epic. The combaty didn't get too stale as there was enough variety in the bad guys and situations to keep every fight fresh.

    Favorite moments?
    Spoiler:

    I think the whole game was entertaining because I loved seeing Kratos find his own special way of dealing with problems.

    tf2_sig.png
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I found GoW2 to be much better than GoW. They at least fixed the need to be some sort of button mashing GOD to do some of the kills.

    I recall fighting some monsters in GoW after playing GoW2 and I could not do the death thing because it would require me to hammer the attack button stupidly (and I do mean stupidly) fast. I fought the same monster again in GoW2 and it was 5x easier. Also, making you invincible (while unrealistic) during the kill animations was a nice touch.

  • GinoGino Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Gino wrote: »
    My friend and I just went Halvesy's on this game and are playing the shit out of it. Originally I thought it was going to be across 2 disc but after 15 hours I had to look agian and see that the second disc was "Special Features".

    Still an awesome game. I'm to the sisters Island and am probably getting pretty close to the end.


    Here are my complaints though:

    Puzzles can be rediculasly diffecult. The one puzzle where you have to lower the spikes and freeze time and then lower a door with a crank... I did it about 15 times before I realized that I wasn't supposed to raise the door completely... GAAA frustrating. Also when I walk into a room and they show me like fifteen things that are all going to be part of a some silly puzzle I want to tare my hair out. The puzzles stop being fun at 8 hours and start getting tedious.

    I fighting is still fantastic though. I just really didn't enjoy the palace before you get to the sister Island and this sisters Island seems like it's going to be more of the same.

    See, I enjoyed the puzzles. I thought they were well-made and hard enough to keep my interest.

    Well, It's not so much that they are to hard. I don't mind that. THe problem is that I'm doing this really hard puzzle and I finally figure it out then I walk into the next room and BOOM what a surprise another really hard puzzle.

    I mean Zelda has hard puzzles too but they let you progress for a while before you hit the next one so you feel like your getting some where. GOW2 starts to feel like it's just puzzle after puzzle stuck together with either tiny fights in between or on occasion really satisfying boss battles.

  • MetalChickenMetalChicken Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Who was that blue titan who got wrecked by Hades in that cutscene?

    That would be Atlas I think.

    The whole series are easily among the best games I've played.
    Spoiler:

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't think any of the puzzles in the game approached anything resembling 'difficulty', to be honest. Could just be me, though.

    Titan Mode was a fucking bitch though.

    Point of advice to anyone trying to beat it: Make use of the Medusa weapon and the 'shotgun' move of the Spear. Stone + scattershot = Instant death on ANYTHING (outside bosses). This will make even the strongest enemies easy. It even allows you to quickly kill the later medusas who only stay stoned for ~2 seconds.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wish I could get into the whole God of War series. I played the first one about a week or two before the 2nd one was supposed to come out, but it bored me to tears.

    It was probably the fact that everyone kept telling me: "DUDE! You've never played God of War?!! It's the best game ever made!!! YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT! IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!one!!" and when I played it, it was quite 'meh'.

    I'll probably pick it up a long way down the road when everyone stops talking about it... so I don't get pulled and hit by some sort of hype train.

  • GinoGino Registered User
    edited August 2007
    The puzzle where you have the frozen walls and you have to melt them with beams of light was really tough for me. I was trying to knock the icicles down with my blades and figured it couldn't be done so I wandered back and forth shifting around the symbols until I was so frustrated I just started casting the earthquake spell which of course knocked down the icicles and let me redirect the light beams. I found it really frustrating because the Ice wouldn't fall even when I was hitting it with my blades...

    That one, and the rising spikes where you have to freeze time really pissed me off last night.


    I still really enjoyed most of the game, the last few puzzles have just really pissed me off. Also it just seems like the puzzles are strung to closely together. Like I said there are tough puzzles in zelda but they are broken up by exploration, traveling in the overworld, and fights. The only thing between the puzzles here are fights, and often they are minuscule compared to the amount of time you spend in the fight.

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I wish I could get into the whole God of War series. I played the first one about a week or two before the 2nd one was supposed to come out, but it bored me to tears.

    It was probably the fact that everyone kept telling me: "DUDE! You've never played God of War?!! It's the best game ever made!!! YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT! IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!one!!" and when I played it, it was quite 'meh'.

    I'll probably pick it up a long way down the road when everyone stops talking about it... so I don't get pulled and hit by some sort of hype train.

    I was the same way. Trust me, GoW2 is just so much more fun.

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gino wrote: »
    The puzzle where you have the frozen walls and you have to melt them with beams of light was really tough for me. I was trying to knock the icicles down with my blades and figured it couldn't be done so I wandered back and forth shifting around the symbols until I was so frustrated I just started casting the earthquake spell which of course knocked down the icicles and let me redirect the light beams. I found it really frustrating because the Ice wouldn't fall even when I was hitting it with my blades...

    That one, and the rising spikes where you have to freeze time really pissed me off last night.


    I still really enjoyed most of the game, the last few puzzles have just really pissed me off. Also it just seems like the puzzles are strung to closely together. Like I said there are tough puzzles in zelda but they are broken up by exploration, traveling in the overworld, and fights. The only thing between the puzzles here are fights, and often they are minuscule compared to the amount of time you spend in the fight.

    For the icicles, you just climb the northern walls and then onto the ceiling. From there you can use your blades. Quake/Lightning spells work just as well, though.

    For the spikes what I did was lower the spikes and instantly freeze time. Then I would turn the second lever for about 4-5 seconds and then freeze time again. The only reason I had trouble with this was because I never realized you could destroy a wall and thus reveal a time statue. A friend was like "Man, it'd be nice if you could destroy that wall!" and I was like "But all the destroyable walls thus far have been shiny!". That is, I think, the only destroyable wall in the entire game that doesn't shine. Lamez.

  • GinoGino Registered User
    edited August 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Gino wrote: »
    The puzzle where you have the frozen walls and you have to melt them with beams of light was really tough for me. I was trying to knock the icicles down with my blades and figured it couldn't be done so I wandered back and forth shifting around the symbols until I was so frustrated I just started casting the earthquake spell which of course knocked down the icicles and let me redirect the light beams. I found it really frustrating because the Ice wouldn't fall even when I was hitting it with my blades...

    That one, and the rising spikes where you have to freeze time really pissed me off last night.


    I still really enjoyed most of the game, the last few puzzles have just really pissed me off. Also it just seems like the puzzles are strung to closely together. Like I said there are tough puzzles in zelda but they are broken up by exploration, traveling in the overworld, and fights. The only thing between the puzzles here are fights, and often they are minuscule compared to the amount of time you spend in the fight.

    For the icicles, you just climb the northern walls and then onto the ceiling. From there you can use your blades. Quake/Lightning spells work just as well, though.

    For the spikes what I did was lower the spikes and instantly freeze time. Then I would turn the second lever for about 4-5 seconds and then freeze time again. The only reason I had trouble with this was because I never realized you could destroy a wall and thus reveal a time statue. A friend was like "Man, it'd be nice if you could destroy that wall!" and I was like "But all the destroyable walls thus far have been shiny!". That is, I think, the only destroyable wall in the entire game that doesn't shine. Lamez.

    Also the chains in the spike part are shiny like you can distroy them... Just trying to mislead you or something. Pissed me off.

  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Funny story. The first game was released to great acclaim and these forums went nuts about it. I managed to snag a demo from one of those overly expensive "gaming mags", and upon fighting the Hydra, I thought "this might be kinda fun". Upon rental, I was dissapointed. Cant place my finger on why... but the settings, fighting.. art... it just didnt mesh with me.
    When GoW2 came out these forums exploded again, lots of critical acclaim etc. I think that what made me buy the game was that PA comic talking about it... and while my gaming tastes dont run parallel to theirs.
    I was absolutely stunned by the game. I think to this day, its one of my most favorite games. And I think that the biggest reason for that is art direction. Everything is cohesive and absolutely gorgeous. Running on the chains of steeds of time, or the fight with ... the invisible guy. Escape from hades. All of those events were made memorable to me because they looked and felt epic.

    GoW1... not so much....

  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited August 2007
    I really can't explain how much I enjoyed GoW2 over GoW1, they feel like completley different games to me.

    tf2_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sigh... With all those responses it looks like I'm going to go ahead and buy GoW2 when my funds increase, and when the game goes on the greatest hits.

  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I guess for me it boils down to liking the story more in GoW1, and the refined gameplay more in GoW2.

    The second one was prettier and played better, but i didnt find myself as compelled by Kratos' motives as i did in the original story... Where one thing seemed to naturally lead to another and then HOLY SHIT KRONOS.

    Witchsight.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Sigh... With all those responses it looks like I'm going to go ahead and buy GoW2 when my funds increase, and when the game goes on the greatest hits.

    Only took me a weekend to beat it when I rented it.

    tf2_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    Funny story. The first game was released to great acclaim and these forums went nuts about it. I managed to snag a demo from one of those overly expensive "gaming mags", and upon fighting the Hydra, I thought "this might be kinda fun". Upon rental, I was dissapointed. Cant place my finger on why... but the settings, fighting.. art... it just didnt mesh with me.

    GoW1... not so much....
    I felt much the same way about the first.
    Personally, I think it was that the first boss battle was so impressive that the rest of the game kind of fell flat.
    I mean you go from "I just impaled 2 smaller hydra heads with loading hooks then impaled the giant hydra head on the mast of a ship so I could crawl down it's throat to get a key" to "Oh, now I have to jump to that platform after I push this lever..."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • csstriker4csstriker4 __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    Love how the game (to varying degrees of accuracy) takes a large amount of characters from Greek mythology and ties them into a coherent plotline. Kratos himself is not just a really badass guy you want to play as but he is somewhat believable within the context of the mythology. All in all, the story is some great Greek "fan fiction" and I really can't wait to see where they take the story with GOW III.

    Got to say that my favorite moment is GOWII when you can rip out the cyclops eyes. Absolutely brutal. :P

    Xbox Live Gamertag: CSstriker4
    PSN: Csstriker4
    CS:S Handle: hurricaneditka

    Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source, Gears of War, Resistance, FIFA 07 (360), The Darkness, and Daxter

    Can't come soon enough: FIFA 08, Assassin's Creed, MGS4, Halo 3, GTA 4
  • SolidSnaku401SolidSnaku401 __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    Not going to lie, I was a bit nervous when this game was coming out seeing that the producing reigns were handed to Cory Balrog (sp?) from GOW creator David Jaffe. Needless to say, my reservations were unfounded. GOWII kicks more ass than GOW I, in my opinion. The inclusion of the Pegasus and the Icarus sequences alone are so incredible. One can only wonder what SCEA Santa Monica is going to throw in for GOW III.

    Trying to beat God of War II on Titan Mode right now... incredibly difficult but still so fun. Everything is just so much more intense when your life bar is in the red the whole game. Love it.

    Now Playing: The Darkness, Resistance: FOM, God of War II, and Wii Sports

    Can't Wait For: MGS4, GTA4, ET: Quake Wars, and UT3

    "Fortune favors the brave." - Virgil
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are spoilers in this thread about parts of the game I have not yet reached. I do not understand. Do you mean to say it is actually possible to beat that impossibly retarded, incredibly frustrating part where you need to lower a hook (after the ice walls puzzle) while a gillion flaming birds spit unblockable projectiles your way, making the ascension (and even just lowering the hook) the worst videogame moment I have ever experienced in my life?

  • GoatmonGoatmon AHOY! I'M ADMIRAL ZHAO!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I loved both GoW games, but GoW II did what a lot of sequels these days have been doing, both in games and in movies. They gave it an ending that wasn't an ending. The ending was just a point where the game stops, leading straight into the third title. This is a tactic along the lines of Matrix Revolutions and POTC: Dead Man's Chest, and those went over SO WELL, didn't they?

    I preferred the ending to the original GoW , where they didn't know for sure that people would love the game, and therefore didn't know that there would be any money or interest in a sequel. They left it so that there was plenty of room for another title, but the players were given a cool ending in case that was where the series ended. It would've been nice if that had been the aim of the second title, especially considering I don't intend on getting a PS3. =P

    aik7511.jpg
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    There are spoilers in this thread about parts of the game I have not yet reached. I do not understand. Do you mean to say it is actually possible to beat that impossibly retarded, incredibly frustrating part where you need to lower a hook (after the ice walls puzzle) while a gillion flaming birds spit unblockable projectiles your way, making the ascension (and even just lowering the hook) the worst videogame moment I have ever experienced in my life?

    You can climb up the walls to the nests, and stop them spawning. I didn't notice until my second time through, so I feel your pain.

    -

    Anyway: I loved the gameplay, and there were a fair few really awesome moments (like the steeds, and the first boss fight in the sisters' temple). Kratos himself annoyed me a lot, because he couldn't seem to make up his mind whether he was an asshole or not, and a lot of the stuff he does just seems done for the sake of being 'badass.' Also he's crazy schizophrenic.
    Spoiler:
    Plus it kind of irks me that they just throw in a bunch of my favourite characters for Kratos to maul.

    Anyway, it's an awesome game, but I think GoW1 had a more coherent story and theme. I'd still pick it up, though.

    hellboysig.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really didn't care for the first GoW. I mean, I played through it and it had some great parts, but the combat system is just so formulaic and, well, dull. This is mostly due to every single enemy in the later parts of the game being much more annoying to fight than challenging or fun - this is really one of the few games where I had a real distate for the enemies, and not because of the difficulty level. Most of the time they actually made the game worse. In a combat-heavy game, thinking "oh God, I hate fighting these guys" isn't the best reaction. There were also some other, completely retarded points that really tested my patience, such as, well, the entirety of Hades (Fuck that climbing trip).

    The best part of the game was the boss fights, without a doubt... too bad there are only 3. There were definitely some things I liked about the first game, but I really don't think it was great, and I wouldn't want to play it again. Since some of you say the second one is better in every way, I might check it out if I can get it cheaply, though.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I actualyl think the hydra boss fight in GoW is far, far less interesting than the regular combat, for the simple reason that it's really dull. No variety in attack patterns or strategy needed.
    Block, hit. Block, hit. Block, hit. Do silly QTE. Repeat until bored.

  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, well, I felt that way about the regular combat, so the hydra fight was a highlight.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The regular combat had the minor advantage of giving you room to maneuvre, and of not taking as long.

    On the other hand, I've just discovered I can trade the game in for more than I paid for it. To the shops!

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.