As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Planning/Work Advice

ApolloTreatingYouApolloTreatingYou __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My life is at a bit of a crossroad right now. I'm 21, I've worked as a civil engineering draftsman since highschool. I was recently fired from my job where I worked for over a year. They were my best reference and now it is going to be very difficult to find another position. I should be getting unemployment and if not I guess I'll have to just get a job wherever.

School: I was planning to go back this semester but I had to put it on hold till January hopefully. I am filling out FASFA and unless I get a new job, will be relying solely on the hope that I can get student loans. I have played guitar for over 5 years now and I am pretty good. I want to go to school for a music related degree, but I am not sure what all my options are. Being a teacher or something would be fine I just don't want to get out and be like "well I can play guitar really well... but I have no job." So what kind of things can I pursue that will help me financially stable as well as pursuing my passion?

I am heavily worried that I will not be able to get another drafting job. I don't really like doing it but it pays almost 20 bucks an hour. If I can't get a job doing that what are some other jobs that pay close to that? My roomate told me about a van driving job for a fed ex like place that pays like 14. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Lastly, what do you think my chances of getting loans for all of school are?

no you cannot have a sig that size. especially with compression that crappy.
ApolloTreatingYou on

• Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you don't make very much money, your chances are higher, but it depends on the income of your parents (which is considered until you are 23 years old), and the cost of the school, and several other factors. But it doesn't hurt to apply.

I don't really have many suggestions on the "what should I do degree/career wise" front. If you want to work in music education, that's certainly a valid option, but if you just kind of enjoy playing as a hobby, then you might want to consider something else.

Murphy on