Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

ITT Casket is the stupidest stupid to ever stupid it up in D&D

2»

• ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    Do not assume the experiments are fucking around and giving you false data or whatever. They are giving you the plain simple statistics that they gathered. After sitting down and looking at the statistics, and looking at the subjects, and looking at the test material (all this is given information), then you can make a good prediction.

Sure, the reasons for believing the prediction may be horribly wrong, but if the prediction comes out right anyway, then everybody wins. Jump into the crowd and surf away.

Making a prediction based on data is better than making one based on nothing at all.

For fuck's sake you stupid idiot, no you don't. You can't make a good prediction because you haven't established a mechanism for that prediction to be true. You are making a blind stab in the dark. And in fact, if you had that data, then you'd sit down and say "why the fuck would a test score be related to shoe size?" - unless apparently, the hypothetical person was you, but I'm ok with that because I'm pretty sure I can trick you into killing yourself by showing you a correlation between toddlers getting electrocuted from sticking metal into powerpoints. You're not a toddler, so you should have nothing to fear.

:lol:

Medopine wrote: »
    Fuck that woman going "oh god oh no!!"

It's nature, bitch
  • CasketCasket __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2007
    Well, clearly theres no more possibility of civil discussion here. I'm leaving this thread before it gets nasty.

casketiisigih1.png
    edited August 2007
    Well, clearly theres no more possibility of civil discussion here. I'm leaving this thread before it gets nasty.

When everyone tries to explain something to you and you refuse to accept it, or even comprehend what they are saying, it should be understandable that they are, at some point, going to run out of patience. That point will be around the time when people realize that you aren't well-equipped enough, education-wise or brain-power-wise, to hold a rational position in the discussion.

It's nature, bitch
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nice escape.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    stand up! It was the smallest on the list but
    pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

When everyone tries to explain something to you and you refuse to accept it, or even comprehend what they are saying, it should be understandable that they are, at some point, going to run out of patience. That point will be around the time when people realize that you aren't well-equipped enough, education-wise or brain-power-wise, to hold a rational position in the discussion.

I think the real cause for this is that when one person is arguing one point by himself, and like 5 or 6 other people are arguing another point as a group, the one guy that is arguing by himself starts talking to several different people at the same time, and then people start responding to shit that wasn't written for them in the first place, and what you end up with is a cluster fuck of posts tripping over each other, much of them saying the same thing, except just in different words over and over again. Precision is quickly lost, and the original arguments get blurred. But in these cases, the people who are arguing as a group ALWAYS have the advantage over the one guy arguing alone, making him look like retard, because he has to say the same things over and over again, where as each group member says things maybe only once.

casketiisigih1.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think the real cause for this is that when one person is arguing one point by himself, and like 5 or 6 other people are arguing another point as a group, the one guy that is arguing by himself starts talking to several different people at the same time, and then people start responding to shit that wasn't written for them in the first place, and what you end up with is a cluster fuck of posts tripping over each other, much of them saying the same thing, except just in different words over and over again. Precision is quickly lost, and the original arguments get blurred. But in these cases, the people who are arguing as a group ALWAYS have the advantage over the one guy arguing alone, making him look like retard, because he has to say the same things over and over again, where as each group member says things maybe only once.

Well actually, no, because I'm lazily lurking, and while Elec, Ege etc are completely right, they haven't impressed me due to their superior numbers. If anything, I've been thinking 'for gods' sake, just say that correlation doesn't mean causation, and tell Casket and Windbit to go find out what that means.' They argued with you probably because they are annoyed and want to explain something to you. Their angry arguing does not make you look like a retard.

The fact is correlation is not the same as causation. Go find out what that means.

I figure I could take a bear.
    edited August 2007
    I know correlation isn't the same as causation.

That wasn't really what I was arguing though.

Hell if I know what I was arguing now. Too damn blurry.

casketiisigih1.png
    edited August 2007

I've had my fair share of getting gang-raped by the D&D bandwagon, but this is not such a case. I unblurred the original argument for you by summarizing it in the hopes of getting an intelligent response. I got none.

If you don't want to argue against ten people, don't. Nobody is forcing you to. In arguments like this, just because person A agrees with person B does not mean you have to respond to both.

It's nature, bitch
2»