As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Heresy: Black and white morality is for pussies

• Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Remember that short story in first person of a guy on a medieval world cleaning out an entire Rok with just a knife?

And then he hopes that the Black Ship takes him somewhere nice?

I need to find it so I can use the description how the Black Ship looked in the eyes of that guy.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This does indeed look awesome, I very much look forward to burning me some heretics.

As far as a 40k MMO here, there is a pretty obvious answer and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. One word Gentlemen. Gorkamorka

Neaden on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neaden wrote: »
    This does indeed look awesome, I very much look forward to burning me some heretics.

As far as a 40k MMO here, there is a pretty obvious answer and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. One word Gentlemen. Gorkamorka

They cannot come out with a Gorkamorka MMO. Because then my life would shut down and I would have to suck dicks on a street corner to pay for my horrible, horrible addiction.

SJ on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SJ wrote: »

They cannot come out with a Gorkamorka MMO. Because then my life would shut down and I would have to suck dicks on a street corner to pay for my horrible, horrible addiction.

Dude, you've got some.... Waaagh on you chin. ;)

From a practical standpoint, any 40K MMO will include playable Space Marines. There's just no way that they wouldn't cash in on their most populous faction. There's really no need to be that worried about the balance difference between SM and other factions. I'd love to see an instanced PVP battleground with 4 marines versus 12 guardsman or something similar.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    zenpotato wrote: »
    SJ wrote: »

Dude, you've got some.... Waaagh on you chin. ;)

From a practical standpoint, any 40K MMO will include playable Space Marines. There's just no way that they wouldn't cash in on their most populous faction. There's really no need to be that worried about the balance difference between SM and other factions. I'd love to see an instanced PVP battleground with 4 marines versus 12 guardsman or something similar.

It'd be interesting if say a person who wanted to play as a member of the IG would play as a Commissar fresh from the Schola, and had a unit of IG minions with him, sort of like a summoner (but with lasguns and field executions). That'd be one way to make an IG player even with an SM player.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Only way I could see that happening is thus: Space Marine players would play a single character. A single scout, then battle brother, assault marine/devestator/tactical/whatever, then veteran, terminator honors, etc... And then they can achieve the rank of Sergeant in order to organize groups of players in PvP, and then captain, then chapter master. So, like, BF2 style, sergeants lead 5-10 marines, captains lead X number of sergeants, and in humongous PvP areas you could have a chapter master rank that would organize the captains.

But it couldn't work quite that way with the other factions, since everyone else is so squishable. For IG you would start out as a Stormtrooper Sergeant or IG Platoon Lieutenant. The higher rank you get, the more weapons you can use, and you can get additional drop troops / transports / valkyrie support / orbital bombardments / tanks / etc. And then of course as you go up in rank you'll be able to command larger and larger troop formations. A lieutenant would become a captain and therefore have access to an extra squad in his platoon. Then for PvP areas the highest ranking individuals would be warmasters or what have you to organize the actual players forces.

I think that would be sweet.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That would also be just about the coolest pet class ever.

I'm really hoping they break away from the "all players must be equal" model of doing things. There's no reason not to have players with different power levels, except for a simplified design. You could be a SM scout and earn XP killing small mobs and doing scout like missions, or you could be a centuries old Dreadnaught and only earn XP by killing much larger, nastier mobs and running Dreadnaught like missions (support a squad of marines, drop into a hot zone and help secure an objective, etc).

For PVP (this is surely going to be a PVP heavy game) the simplest way to get around the power imbalance is obvious: use point values just like the tabletop system. Have a FoC to keep class balance around. There are some really great, revolutionary things that could be done by a 40K MMO.

Actually on topic though, I like that they're focusing their games around particular power levels. It only makes sense for Marines to be able to play with Marines. There are so many great things you can do just as humans though, so I'm glad that base is covered as well. I just may have to pick this up.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Space Marine: Solo character, Scout to Battle Brother to specialties (Assault, Techmarine, etc.) to Veteran, on upwards. With enough points from PVP they can sacrifice certain abilities for the ability to resurrect as a Dreadnought upon death, only now you've got completely different missions and such.

Imperial Guard: Platoon Leader or Commissar, you lead a small squad, progressively growing in size.

Eldar: The different Aspect temples and such should make them pretty easy to separate into classes.

Ork: Start out as a Slugga Boy, then pick Shoota Boy (which becomes Flash Gitz!), Mekboy (possibly Kult of Speed), Mad Dok (becoming a Painboss), or just stick with Slugga Boy and eventually become a warboss. Every level you get, you gain an inch of height, and you get more red paint with which to draw (splash) on yourself.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Ork: Start out as a Slugga Boy, then pick Shoota Boy (which becomes Flash Gitz!), Mekboy (possibly Kult of Speed), Mad Dok (becoming a Painboss), or just stick with Slugga Boy and eventually become a warboss. Every level you get, you gain an inch of height, and you get more red paint with which to draw (splash) on yourself.

I think it'd be do-able to start out as a basic Boy (regardless of which weapons you wanna use), but I think that after completing, say, some sort of tutorial, they would need to be a Nob, or trukker, or Bike Boy, or something else, upon getting into the meat of things. A single Ork is about as worthless as a single Guardsman, and if guardsman can be platoon leaders, Orks should start as Nobs. Whether or not you want to lead a big mob, steal a trukk and zoom towards the enemy, nab a looted tank or lead a team of sneaky kommando gitz', however, would be up to the player.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Space Marine: Solo character, Scout to Battle Brother to specialties (Assault, Techmarine, etc.) to Veteran, on upwards. With enough points from PVP they can sacrifice certain abilities for the ability to resurrect as a Dreadnought upon death, only now you've got completely different missions and such.

Imperial Guard: Platoon Leader or Commissar, you lead a small squad, progressively growing in size.

Eldar: The different Aspect temples and such should make them pretty easy to separate into classes.

The non Ork involved ideas sucked.

Also, it should be dependant on clan, Goffs get taller(an teir arms get longer and better), Gold Toofs Grow more Teef, Blood Axes get more...stuff(learning languages for example, getting sneakier, etc)etc

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So guys, lets get back on topic. BI has released a Demo booklet here.

Im reading it through right now. Seems pretty good.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Downloading now. I'll report in when I've had a chance to read it over.

Edit: The trailer looks cool, but why use Apple II-like monochrome green lettering when you've got that cool looking gothic border? Someone needs to figure out a way of making text look awesome and gothic but still kind of techno-liscious.

Edit 2: Looks neat. I'm not sure what they really gain by using a d10 and d100 system though, over something like d20. Other than not using d20, which I guess has its own marketing value. I'm interested to see how the character creation process works, since these characters don't seem all that remarkable to me.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What they get by using percentile dice is continuity between WFRP and the 40K version, since they would seem to be more or less the same system. Also, they've managed to hold it down to exactly one type of dice, sometimes used in multiples, rather than the relative confusion of d20 which doesn't actually use a d20 that often...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    My impression is that it is pretty much the same system as WFRP, in space. It looks pretty solid, i would have liked to see more interesting classes, but hey, you can't ahve everything. The actual adventure was a little 'meh' but could prove an interesting playthrough. I thought some of the fluff was subtly wrong though.

Asher on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's a very brief demo but it seems promising and has a really solid & simple engine. Definitely something I'd want to try out.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What they get by using percentile dice is continuity between WFRP and the 40K version, since they would seem to be more or less the same system. Also, they've managed to hold it down to exactly one type of dice, sometimes used in multiples, rather than the relative confusion of d20 which doesn't actually use a d20 that often...

I cannot think of any action in d20 that doesn't involve a d20 somewhere.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The WFRP ruleset is pretty solid I've found, so I look forward to seeing how it's changed for this. The demo doesn't fully explain how weapons work (Reloading, clips etc) so it will be interested to see how that goes.

Asher on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Just damage and hit dice, really.

Honestly, I do quite like the fact that throughout WFRP I only ever needed the two dice.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    My impression is that it is pretty much the same system as WFRP, in space. It looks pretty solid, i would have liked to see more interesting classes, but hey, you can't ahve everything. The actual adventure was a little 'meh' but could prove an interesting playthrough. I thought some of the fluff was subtly wrong though.

My favorite part was definitely
    that PCs got recognition (and XP from a good GM) for killing off anyone in their party who gets a mutation.

That detail was just right.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, that bit was certainly good. It was more the bits about the Guardsmen that ifelt was a little off.

Asher on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You got that backwards. Pretty much everything in D20 _except_ damage and hit dice use d20s.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sensing approaching doom, the Commissar withdrew his troops
    What? No.
    This section culminates in a meeting with the Commissar, whose authority they need to enter into the Gorgonid Mine
    What? No.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    UncleKingyUncleKingy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Honestly, I do quite like the fact that throughout WFRP I only ever needed the two dice.

Except during character generation or if you play a wizard, where a D4 comes in handy (thought you can annoy the crap out of everyone by using a D6 and re-rolling a million 5s and 6s!).

UncleKingy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Those character sheets in Shattered Hope look awesome.

And it looks like a surprising amount of work was put into the characters themselves.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sensing approaching doom, the Commissar withdrew his troops
    What? No.
    This section culminates in a meeting with the Commissar, whose authority they need to enter into the Gorgonid Mine
    What? No.

Uhuh, What the hell kind of pussy-ass Comissar is this. Also, why is he in charge? Did he admister the Emperor's benediction to the poor sap who was in charge before? Besides the PCs are the frikkin' inquisition the outrank everyone! Also, what was with the 'brigade' designation. And its a Sentinel! not a "walker". Pft. They could have a done a much better demo adventure to go with this.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    whine whine whine.

Someone, take that adventure and run it as a one-shot for the boards. I love the pre-gen characters.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    But I'm so full of Nerd-rage!
    All bitching aside, its perfectly sevicable, I'm just being petty. If no one else wants to, I'll volunteer to run it, PBP style. However, my time is somewhat limited by Uni Commitments, so if theres someone else who wants to run I'll happily defer, but may try to claim a character.

Asher on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I heard in WFRP you could have an Elf and a Dwarf in the same party! :o

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    After just reading the character bios on that Shattered Hope thing (I really, really love the Albino who offed her parents), I'm tempted to read through the entire adventure, because I expect the whole thing to be that awesome.

But I'm holding out to be clueless in case an opportunity to play the crazy albino chick ever surfaces.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I heard in WFRP you could have an Elf and a Dwarf in the same party! :o

Sacrilege!

Unfortunately the rest of the booklet is not as awesome as the characters. Still, I like the idea of running through it on the boards.

So, provisionally:

INeedNoSalt: Cimbria - Crazy Albino Arbiter
    Asher: GM or Mir - The Feral World Guardsman if someone else more qualified wants to run it.

Anyone else?

Asher on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hai! Me too! Call me Ishmael.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hai! Me too!

Okay then, who do you want to be? The scrawny hive Scum or the crazy chick with the knives?

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I realized I forgot to include the name in my first reply.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ok then, Ishmael. As it appears that no one has stepped forwards to claim GMship, it looks like I'll be "in Charge".

Asher: GM

INeedNoSalt: Cimbria - Crazy Albino Arbiter
    Gabriel_Pitt: Ishmael - Old Hive Scummer

Asher on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh fuck. It's that close already?

I've run so many ad hoc 40k RPG games over the years. An actual game is going to be awesome.

It's not a real 40k game if half the players don't sacrifice themselves in the name of the Emperor.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »

I've run so many ad hoc 40k RPG games over the years. An actual game is going to be awesome.

It's not a real 40k game if half the players don't sacrifice themselves in the name of the Emperor.

I'll sacrifice you in the name of the Emperor.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »

I'll sacrifice you in the name of the Emperor.

If you question my faith in the Emperor again, I will shoot you in the face and burn your corpse with holy promethium.

Shit. Once is enough. Burn.

In nomine Imperator!
    I once took a bunch of psychadelics and thought I was a Grey Knight for about four hours.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, there are specific rules for sacrificing yourselves or each other in the name of the Emperor in this adventure.

So, should I go ahead and create an OOC/prep thread for this? Or wait another 12 hours to give people a chance to claim . . . Something.

Asher on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Asher wrote: »
    Well, there are specific rules for sacrificing yourselves or each other in the name of the Emperor in this adventure.

So, should I go ahead and create an OOC/prep thread for this? Or wait another 12 hours to give people a chance to claim . . . Something.

I could claim something if you've got something left and the times aren't conflicting with my own.

Let's say we talk about this?

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, so far we have 2, possibly 3 characters left. The Feral World Conscript and the Feudal World Murderer are still available. Not sure about the Arbiter, I'm not sure whether Salt is definite or not.

Asher on