As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Geometry Wars: Ugly as Butts

SnorkSnork wordJamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just saw Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved is availible on Steam and I bought it on a whim because I love it so much. I then started it up and notice it was ugly as butts and nothing like the Live Arcade version it claims to be a 'pixel perfect' port of, and nothing like the screen shots on the Steam page. I then realised for Vista you are supposed to buy it from MSN and not through Steam, as that is the XP version.
My question is this, before I pay for it a second time, is the one through MSN the one with the 360-quality graphics? Or is it just the same and they have you do it by operating system for no reason?

Snork on

• Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    doesnt matter if you bought it from MSN or not it'll look the same. when you maximize it'll be some low resolution stretched. It sucks. I just play it in windowed mode

tracertong on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    The problem is that a TV doesn't have 1600x1200 pixels on its screen. It's pixel perfect to whatever resolution the original ran it. Which is going to be much lower than your monitor's resolution.

So play it in windowed mode.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Except it doesn't have remotely the same visuals. It doesn't have the whole warping grid background that the 360 version had or anything like that.

EDIT: Which the screenshots seem to lead you believe that it has.

Snork on
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno what you guys are talking about. I'm running it through Steam, and it looks fine at full screen, warping backgrounds and all.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Are you serious? Is there any reason it would automatically downgrade itself for my system? FYI Steam doesn't recognise my chipset.

Snork on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I've never played Geometry Wars on the 360, but it looks pretty on my PC. What are your system specs? I don't think I'd be of any help if I saw them, but someone else might know the issue based on your specs.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Intel Core2 Processor, 1.66 and 1.67GHz
    2GB RAM
    Mobile Intel 945GM Chipset Family
    And I actually cannot find my graphics card on the system manager, but I know I have an adequate one, just not sure which. I'll research.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I booted into Windows to illustrate:

Original Xbox version
    My computer
    Original Xbox version
    My computer

Granted, I'm not running at 1600x1200, but by your logic it should still look like shit because I have more lines of horizontal resolution. However, the game ends up looking the same in both windowed and fullscreen.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Maybe I wasn't being clear when I said it looked nothing like the original.
    geo.jpg

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, ok, shit for you just isn't rendering.

First step is to check video card drivers and ensure they're up to date.

Edit: It could also be a Vista problem, in which case getting the MSN one might help.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would be doing that if I could only figure out what fucking video card I have. I can't even find my laptop ont he HP website and it si not even half a year old.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The DirectX Dialog should be able to tell you. Run the command "dxdiag" in the search bar without quotes. Then go to the Display tab.

Andorien on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Intel's 950 thingy isn't a proper graphics card. It'll cope with Vista, but not games. Onboard isn't really the right way of putting it for a laptop, but it's definitely at the bottom of the market. I'd bet that's your issue.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Intel's 950 thingy isn't a proper graphics card. It'll cope with Vista, but not games. Onboard isn't really the right way of putting it for a laptop, but it's definitely at the bottom of the market. I'd bet that's your issue.

I was under the impression that that was his mobo (I'm really not familiar with Intel's shitty integrated graphics chips), but if that's not the case and it is indeed the video card, yeah, that's your problem right there. It's not just a matter of speed, it simply wont support certain effects, and rather than trying to emulate them in slow as hell software mode (IE, the DirectX Reference Device, which I don't think is even enabled for non-development .dlls), the game just culls them.

Andorien on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    It doesn't look like you're playing Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It looks like you're playing the original Geometry Wars.

Are you sure you downloaded the right version? And if so, is there some setting that makes it look like the original instead of the sequel?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It doesn't look like you're playing Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved. It looks like you're playing the original Geometry Wars.

Are you sure you downloaded the right version? And if so, is there some setting that makes it look like the original instead of the sequel?

It says Retro Evolved right there in the window title ;-)

Andorien on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Retro Evolved" is the full name of the game. Are you sure you are playing Evolved and not Retro?

I am pretty sure you are, though, and like someone else said, it's just not rendering everything that it should.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There is no option to play retro. That was the first thing I checked.

So I basically bought a laptop without a video card? What the fuck. If I send it in to HP (it's a pavilion 6263cl) will they give it a good one for moneys?

Snork on
  • Options
    Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's not Retro, as Retro contains the entire boundary on the screen.

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • Options
    SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're typically stuck with what you have, as far as video cards go, in the laptop world. There are external cards, I think, now.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This makes me want to kill myself. This is the second time I've bought a new computer and somehow ended up without a video card. How do external cards work?

Snork on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Synapse wrote: »
    You're typically stuck with what you have, as far as video cards go, in the laptop world. There are external cards, I think, now.

Buh

What

No there aren't

You can get an external unit for capturing video

You cannot get an external video card because guess what USB 2.0 is juuuust a touch slower than PCI-e (hint, it's more than just a touch slower)

To the OP:
    Next time look at the specs on the laptop before you buy it. Most laptops come with low end videocards. All laptops have integrated videocards. Some of them are just a lot better than others. There are very, very, very few very, very expensive upgradable videocards in laptops, but I don't know if anyone even makes those any more or if those died out a couple years ago.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. It just so happened that the day I went to go buy my laptop from Costco (parental condition) they were out of the model I was going to get, so I just bought the next one up thinking it would be okay, and the 'computer guy' wasn't there. Wonderful.

Snork on
  • Options
    Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, how long ago did you buy it?

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    May?
    I can't even find my model listed on the HP website.

Snork on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it this?

dv6263cl linky

If it is, then yes its an intel 950 graphics chip, which isnt very games-friendly.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Since you bought it at Costco, they have a pretty good return policy, see if that will work.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    all you can do is wait for this
    http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    From wiki:
    The GMA 950 is Intel's second-generation Graphics Media Accelerator graphics core. It is used in the Intel 940GML, 945G, 945GU and 945GT system chipsets. The amount of video-decoding hardware has increased; VLD, iDCT, and dual video overlay windows are now handled in hardware. The core clock is 400 MHz, boosting pixel fill-rate to a theoretical 1600 megapixels/s.

The GMA 950 shares the same architectural weakness as the GMA 900: no hardware geometry processing. Neither basic (DX7) hardware transform and lighting.[1], nor more advanced vertex shaders (DX8 and later) are handled in the GMA hardware.
    My guess is that your problem is right there.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    From wiki:
    The GMA 950 is Intel's second-generation Graphics Media Accelerator graphics core. It is used in the Intel 940GML, 945G, 945GU and 945GT system chipsets. The amount of video-decoding hardware has increased; VLD, iDCT, and dual video overlay windows are now handled in hardware. The core clock is 400 MHz, boosting pixel fill-rate to a theoretical 1600 megapixels/s.

The GMA 950 shares the same architectural weakness as the GMA 900: no hardware geometry processing. Neither basic (DX7) hardware transform and lighting.[1], nor more advanced vertex shaders (DX8 and later) are handled in the GMA hardware.
    My guess is that your problem is right there.

Yep, that'll do it. The hardware T&L might not be that much of an issue, but no geometry/vertex processing = slow slow slow.

Andorien on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My friend's laptop has the GMA950 chipset as well and I can confirm that grids don't appear on his machine either.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes the onboard video on most laptops is hardly comparable to the capabilites of the xbox 360.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg