As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alien vs Predator 2: It can't be any worse then the first one...right?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, who's directing this one if not Anderson?

And is he still writing it? (He has a habit of at least throwing together scripts* for sequels.)
    *that suck

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The way I see my film unfolding:

It is the future.
    Opens with a Predator ship landing and they seeding some places on a planet with Xeno eggs.
    Cut to five years later. The Corporation has set up a colony on the planet, not knowing about the Xenomorphs that are about to hatch.
    Colonial Marines receive distress call from the colony. They show up and investigate. This segment is like Aliens only instead of being led by an idiot they actually fall back to their dropship competently without losing many people. However...
    This is when the Predators come back. They launch a couple shuttles, but then the Marine ship in orbit comes around to that side of the planet and spots them. The capital ships trade fire, destroying them both.
    Now the Predators and Marines are trapped on the planet, with a whole bunch of Xenomorphs running around.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OmegaRedToothOmegaRedTooth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why the fuck do they keep doing these things present day?

Correction: Predator 2 (made in 1992) took place 4 years in the future! You could REALLY tell the difference.

The worst part of AVP was that
    2 predators die in the first 30 minutes of the movie without killing a single alien. On top of which, an alien ( using some kind of magic ) ninjutsu stabbed the predator in the back. This was followed by WWE AVP.

OmegaRedTooth on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God, god, why couldn't they have just followed the original comic? Future setting, Predators seeding a planet with Aliens for practice. Stupid human colonists in a wrong place/wrong time scenario.

The only thing they took from that comic was the lone human female getting buddy-buddy with the last Preadator... and getting her cool scar. And they managed to make that stupid...

Tach on
  • Options
    SiseraSisera Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    evilthecat wrote: »
    *sobs*

someone correct me if i'm wrong but predators are there to hunt worthy prey, right?
    So how is disc-ing a running, weaponless female honourable?
    also I'm getting the feeling the predators are all noobs .. again.

She was packin' heat.
    bscap0001.jpg

Sisera on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We have similar qualifiers for hunting and fishing. Throw the little one back, don't kill does, that sort of thing.

Again, does it make you feel better being hunted if your hunter has "honor".
    Are we talking honor or "honor" here?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The way I see my film unfolding:

It is the future.
    Opens with a Predator ship landing and they seeding some places on a planet with Xeno eggs.
    Cut to five years later. The Corporation has set up a colony on the planet, not knowing about the Xenomorphs that are about to hatch.
    Colonial Marines receive distress call from the colony. They show up and investigate. This segment is like Aliens only instead of being led by an idiot they actually fall back to their dropship competently without losing many people. However...
    This is when the Predators come back. They launch a couple shuttles, but then the Marine ship in orbit comes around to that side of the planet and spots them. The capital ships trade fire, destroying them both.
    Now the Predators and Marines are trapped on the planet, with a whole bunch of Xenomorphs running around.

I want to get a womb transplant so I can bear your children.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wouldn't the predator capital ship annihilate the colonial one though? The marines are still using ballistics while preds run around with plasma stuffs and energy shields. I'd assume they would have superior tech on their spaceships aswell.

oh god, the inner nerd is waking up in me

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Neli wrote: »
    Wouldn't the predator capital ship annihilate the colonial one though? The marines are still using ballistics while preds run around with plasma stuffs and energy shields. I'd assume they would have superior tech on their spaceships aswell.

Someone whip out the Colonial Marine Manual and start giving us some specs on USCM weapons!

We've never seen their big ordnance, have we? Biggest thing we've seen (but not actually fired) have been the dropship with tons of missiles.

...so we don't know what cap ships are armed with.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Neli wrote: »

oh god, the inner nerd is waking up in me

Honestly, I would like to know which would be more efficient/deadlier -- plasma weapons or railguns/coilguns. Seems to me like railguns would do the job a hell of a lot faster. Besides, there's the bonus of throwing the enemy ship off-kilter, or even into a spin.

Railguns are super cool.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nothing says love like a ten-ton chunk of metal accelerated to near-light speed in your face.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Nothing says love like a ten-ton chunk of metal accelerated to near-light speed in your face.

Seriously.

I mean, really what weapon system could be better than railguns? Lasers are terribly inefficient, and seems like plasma would be ridiculously hard to store and control.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ya. Energy-based weapons would have to focus immense amounts of power on a very small area in a very short time. That, or have a large beam, requiring even more energy. Easier to just lob rocks at enemies.

Why, yes, I read lots of hard science fiction.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ya. Energy-based weapons would have to focus immense amounts of power on a very small area in a very short time. That, or have a large beam, requiring even more energy. Easier to just lob rocks at enemies.

Why, yes, I read lots of hard science fiction.

:)

While we're at it, we should probably mention that having fighters really doesn't make much sense at all, either.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Or even humans (emergency?) landing on a world that was the result of a predator hunting trip gone awry, and is now fairly teeming with aliens, while coincidentally the predators land also due to wanting to acquire an alien queen for their egg farming shenanigans. Enter Samuel L. Jackson. Go 56 minutes of blue lasers and acidic blood, examples of predator discipline, i.e. one breaks ranks/tries to steal a kill and gets his shit wrecked, and i'll definitely rent it when it comes out at the $1 machine in Krogers.

EDIT: Also, marines crucial. I want to see military exosuits, the whole shebang.

so 300 with Predators? I can dig it.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OK, I just got around to watch the trailer.

Jesus Hubbard Christ, that's a lot of gore.

Echo on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Marine ships had nukes, those are pretty devastating.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Marine ships had nukes, those are pretty devastating.

I forget what exactly the reasons are, but I remember there being several problems with deploying nuclear weapons in space.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In at least one comic, a comparativley small yautja craft assulted a ship of roughly comparable design to the colonial marine vessel from the second aliens movie. Smoked it in a single attack.

And whoever suggested doing a movie based on the ryushi debacle: fuck yeah.
    Broken tusk for the win

Gaddez on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The heat wave and pressure wave are what cause most of the damage from a nuke.

Pressure waves do jack shit in space. Radiation might do some damage, but I think it would have to detonate pretty close before the radiation disperses too much.

Now get some actual physics guy in here. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They should just base the movie off of the War graphic novel, but that'd never happen.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm sure a nuke detonated in space would still be pretty devastating. Assuming that whatever you are nuking is actually hit by the nuke, it will be hit by rather large amounts of pressure and heat, not to mention radiation.

I know what you are thinking about there being no pressure waves in space cause you know.. its space. But if the blast of the nuke hits the spacecraft, then yeah there is a shitload of matter exploding with high amounts of force and therefore pressure.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's so refreshing to see so many real Alien/Predator scholars in one thread. Ryushi would make for a fantastic movie.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I know what you are thinking about there being no pressure waves in space cause you know.. its space. But if the blast of the nuke hits the spacecraft, then yeah there is a shitload of matter exploding with high amounts of force and therefore pressure.

Is your nuke conjuring matter out of nothing, or do you mean it hitting the ship directly and asploding it?

I'm thinking more of realistic combat with relativistic effects, not "trading broadsides from one klick away".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Is your nuke conjuring matter out of nothing, or do you mean it hitting the ship directly and asploding it?

I'm thinking more of realistic combat with relativistic effects, not "trading broadsides from one klick away".

Oh man, you really do mean hard sci-fi.
    [/boner joke]

I mean, I'm all for some realism in my sci-fi, but like with any fiction, I'm willing to suspend a certain amount of disbelief. Trading broadsides looks hells of cool.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

The pressure and radiation the target sees will decrease as a function of the inverse square of the distance between the target and the detonation, so since a nuke might not have more than a few hundred kilograms of mass, it'd have to be pretty close to do more than make a noise.

If it was super duper close though, or like, an armor penetrating missile or something, then the ship would probably be fucked.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Im talking like a nuke impacting here.

Inverse square law would make a nuke pretty useless at distances.

edit: close distance detonations would still be damaging I'm pretty sure. Depends on the size of the nuke and how far away. I don't know figures and I'm not about to go calculating a bunch of physics equations but it stands to reason that a nuke of sufficient size and detonation distance would still fuck shit up.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »
    Trading broadsides looks hells of cool.

Sure does. Just saying there's a good reason navies stopped doing it. :P

Dread Empire's Fall has some nice realistic space combat. No shields, no anti-gravity, people need to strap down every time the ship changes [strike]direction[/strike] heading or is under heavy acceleration. And probably black out for long periods of time as well.

The combat is in the style of "oh shit, we discovered the enemies launched missiles, they'll arrive in ten hours! Prepare counterattack! Then let's have dinner!" and tons of tactical maneuvering to outwit your enemy and premature detonation of missiles to make a screen of radiation to hide your movements. Good stuff.

edit: heading, not direction. Different things in space. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gaddez wrote: »
    In at least one comic, a comparativley small yautja craft assulted a ship of roughly comparable design to the colonial marine vessel from the second aliens movie. Smoked it in a single attack.

And whoever suggested doing a movie based on the ryushi debacle: fuck yeah.
    Broken tusk for the win

Yes yes yes. Jesus why can't they just go with what works instead of this present day bullshit.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'll just geek out completely and quote some Transhuman Space with technology from the year 2100.
    Space battles are fought with high-energy ultraviolet lasers and neutral-particle accelerator weapons. A multi-megawatt laser with a 3-yard focal array (the practical maximum in a robust weapon) can focus a beam on a dime-sized spot at a range of 5,000 miles with sufficient intensity to punch its way through a few inches of armor plate. At longer ranges, the beam begins to spread; the laser rapidly loses its ability to harb an armored hull, but can still disable exposed systems, such as laser irises and external heat radiators.

[...]

Nuclear missiles are rare; there's still a stigma against going nuclear, and in any case, with no atmosphere to carry a blast wave or electromagnetic pulse, a direct hit or very near miss is needed to inflict damage. The exception is the X-ray laser warhead ("Teller mine"), a stand-off weapon which detonates a nuclear bomb and uses its radiation to energize multiple coherent X-ray beams. The bombs are kicked out a few miles from the firing craft by electromagnetic coilguns, coordinated by communications lasers, and directed using the main vessel's sensors, where they deliver a short-ranged but lethal one-time punch.

Why, yes, I am a hardcore scifi geek.

Echo on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    According to Hudson in one of the cut scene's in Aliens, they have all kinds of funky big future weapons, including some kind of weapon that can fry half a city.
    Hudson: I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
    Apone: Knock it off, Hudson. All right, gear up.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Or even humans (emergency?) landing on a world that was the result of a predator hunting trip gone awry, and is now fairly teeming with aliens, while coincidentally the predators land also due to wanting to acquire an alien queen for their egg farming shenanigans. Enter Samuel L. Jackson. Go 56 minutes of blue lasers and acidic blood, examples of predator discipline, i.e. one breaks ranks/tries to steal a kill and gets his shit wrecked, and i'll definitely rent it when it comes out at the $1 machine in Krogers.

EDIT: Also, marines crucial. I want to see military exosuits, the whole shebang.

so 300 with Predators? I can dig it.
    Damnit, now I want to see Aliens vs. Predators vs. Spartans.

The Spartans would get like swarmed by xenomorphs at first and be absolutely slaughtered, but they'd put up an amazing fight, and the Predators who are there for their own hunt watch and are like "HOLY SHIT THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME" so they invite the Spartans into their hunt and they all use Predator tech to hunt the Aliens.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    itt descent into fanfic madness

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Madness?

THIS IS SPARTA!

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Madness?

THIS IS SPARDA!
    spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.gif

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Madness?

THIS IS SPARDA!

Homoeroticism.tiff

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »

Madness?

THIS IS SPARDA!

Homoeroticism.tiff
    swap.avi
    Don't look that up.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That trailer was pretty good. Lots of gore, which is usually a good thing.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It felt more like a disaster movie than a science fiction film.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I couldn't forgive the first one for that cheesy bitch who got a trophy from the Predators after going through some alien romance with him. Danny Glover had to kill one of the god damn things and he got an ancient relic for his trouble. She did squat-didly and got a Predator spear. She's no Sigourney Weaver and if you ain't Ripley, you don't make it through the movie. Even then.

Was just terrible, terrible, terrible and Andersons obsession with uberfemsch just really fucks with it.

DarkWarrior on