As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanguard: SoH - How is it?

FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Was just wondering if anyone here played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and could give me a little insight on how it plays. I had a MMORPG craving and thought I'd give it a try since I have no real desire to go back to WoW.

Also, is there any way to trial it without buying a copy of the game first?

Frostozuna on

• Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're better off hitting your junk with a hammer.

There isn't a trial, either. They don't want you to see how bad it is.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    :lol:

In that case, how about we try the same OP, but replacing Vanguard with EQ2

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *AHEM* Real men wait for WAR. *looks to your sig* ;-)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Vanguard had a terrible release, and it hasn't recovered from that. Low populations and upcoming server mergers have been plaguing it for a while now.

And now that SOE is running the show... no thanks!

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Believe me, the second I get into that WAR beta, my life is over

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ever tried EQ2? It feels a lot like EQ2, with the difficulty ramped up. I actually found it pretty fun, but its hardware demands, instability, annoying death system, double annoying zoning and the sloooooow level gain made me give it a rest after the default month was over.

The combined experience felt like a game filled with good ideas... and really, really bad ideas and wonky execution. Things like having an ENORMOUS world, then giving you a slow mount and making you spend 20 minutes at a time just riding from one location to the next. Fun.
    It also seems to have kept EQ2's idea of "no potions for youuuu!", resulting in 'hilarity' like dying from a weak DoT 15 seconds after its caster has already died because, well shit, you're not a healing class and you're soloing, tough shit!
    How about being KoS to certain NPC factions, but not being able to tell which those are without dying first thanks to "disliking" and "hating" being the same con colour? Or even better, being able to take quests that require you to talk to NPCs that won't talk to you because you're KoS to them? Good thing you spent 10 minutes riding to discover that! Hey, is that long-distance ship, the only mode of travel between continents, in a KoS zone for you? Good luck!
    Also, the environment design quality wildly varies. You can run through one zone and marvel at little details and the atmosphere... and then you start a feline character and feel sick at the utter SHIT that their starting area is. Grass has a blue reflective glow, for fuck's sake.

And then to contrast that the game has some fantastic quests. The writing in a lot of them makes you want to finish them just to read more about them.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Or being a race that can't go to Qalia.

at all

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm in the beta and it's so messed up I can't even log in properly.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Give up your account then. :D

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Give up your account then. :D

This man gives sage wisdom. Do as he asks.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    NEVER!

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frostozuna wrote: »

EQ2 is quite a lot of fun. Its a cross between WoW and EQ1 these days. They really made the leveling easier for the low level player and in the upcoming expanion they are going to be reworking the spells somewhat. I think there are still 2 free trials. Trial of the Isle puts you on either good or evil noobie island and you can do all the quests there but it caps you at level 7 or 8 I think. The play the fay one starts you out in greater faydark in a regular zone but you can only play a fay. I dunno if that one has a level cap.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    Solar FlareSolar Flare Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frostozuna wrote: »

EQ2 is quite a lot of fun. Its a cross between WoW and EQ1 these days. They really made the leveling easier for the low level player and in the upcoming expanion they are going to be reworking the spells somewhat. I think there are still 2 free trials. Trial of the Isle puts you on either good or evil noobie island and you can do all the quests there but it caps you at level 7 or 8 I think. The play the fay one starts you out in greater faydark in a regular zone but you can only play a fay. I dunno if that one has a level cap.

The play the fae trial actually only makes the first character you roll be a fay, any other character after that can be most of the other races, and you can go to the original noobie isle if you want to. You can also play some evil characters, but not all of them.

Solar Flare on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played the Vanguard beta for a little while.

It felt clunky and bland and it looked like shit because I had to run it on the lowest settings possible and even then I was at like 7-10fps.

I had a mediocre computer at the time (Athlon 64 3000+, 2GB PC3200, GeForce 6600GT) but man.. I've never seen a game fucking rape a system so badly.

I actually upgraded to my current rig (C2D 6400, 2GB PC6400, 1950XT, overclocked) while I was still in the beta but I got such a poor impression from my first attempt that I didn't even bother redownloading it. The 7->21GB download/install outweighed any slight questions I had about whether it would be any good even with better performance.

As for EQ2, I played it for a while, but it gets boring. If you have people to play with it would probably be a decent game, especially on a PvP server. But I prefer solo play and it gets monotonous, and you can't really play a solo char on the PvP server unless you play a scout (aka stealth class).

If you can find the Echoes of Faydwer expansion on the cheap somewhere (it comes with the original + all previous expansions) I would say it's a decent stopover point while waiting for WAR. It kept me entertained for 2-3 months anyway. Plus if you ever played EQ there is some nostalgia factor with old zones (completely different as they may be) and whatnot.

TLDR: Vanguard = sucked lol, EQ2 = pretty decent but boring without friends to play with.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The number of former Vanguard players who come to EQ2 (they got free EQ2 time as compensation) and say that EQ2 is like Vanguard, but good, is really astonishing. I have some doubt that SOE will be able to overcome Vanguard's many faults even with a total relaunch. Of course, EQ2 is lacking some of Vanguard's more "controversial" difficulty elements, but I continue to believe the folks who want those things are a minority of MMO gamers.

EQ2 is really a great fantasy MMO. They've fixed pretty much all of the original design flaws, and it's a nice experience overall. The art that they had in at launch is the only big lacking area still around, and it gets a bad rap not because it's bad art but because it's good art that's designed to look "real." The level of detail is pretty nice, but it's lost because the detail is on plain wood, bare metal armor, or plain-cut clothing. As you advance in levels and go to the newer expansion areas, the art gets noticeably more interesting.

Also, this thread would probably be better off in the MMO subforum.

And re Flight Test: EQ2 is NOT designed for PVP. Some folks like it, but it makes the main point of the game (questing) very tough to do, especially solo. And fighting twinks or having to twink to compete doesn't sound like much fun to me.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes, I actually got a post card from SOE for a free copy of Everquest 2.

That would be the SECOND free copy of Everquest 2 I have received from SOE.

I wish I could get free copies of World of Warcraft.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Yes, I actually got a post card from SOE for a free copy of Everquest 2.

That would be the SECOND free copy of Everquest 2 I have received from SOE.

I wish I could get free copies of World of Warcraft.

Sony seems to take a bit of a departure from their usual money-sucking ways to promote EQ2. It's kinda nice. In addition to the "sorry Vanguard sucked" copies, they sell the base game + 1 month playtime for like $7 in stores, or the game plus all expansions and a month for $40. The base game is like an extended trial, though... you essentially need the expansions because they offer the two achievement trees and access to some nice new areas and the Fae races which have really great racial traits.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Maybe I will avail myself to it... I don't know. I don't know anything about Everquest, I have never played anything with the name Everquest on it, ever.

I don't even think I have seen Everquest being played, be it on a video or in person.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I looked at my account, it looks like they took the liberty of setting up my EQ2 account for me... here's a screenshot...

eq2.jpg

So... did they give me everything? How do I even start playing? Is there a patcher I can get that will just download the whole client?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jasc, it does look like they gave you everything: Base game plus all 3 expansions AND the 3 adventure pack add-ons (normally $5-$8 apiece) plus Station Players which is their enhanced website thing. And the Vanguard folks all got subs going into September. Roughly $80 worth of stuff.

There should be a Launcher application you can download, that will then dl the rest of the client. It'll take a while.

If you (or anyone else) decides to try EQ2, give a holler in the EQ2 thread in the MMO forum or shoot me a PM. I'm on the Antonia Bayle server (highest-population PVE server, also an RP server but RP isn't very evident in-game) along with a few other PAers. There's also a couple PAers who are on the Venekor PVP server, if that's what floats your boat.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Sweet, well, I guess I will be seeing you after I download a game client and three expansion packs.. what server is PA on?

*edit*

Ok, cool.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I added the bit about Antonia Bayle (and Venekor). The PA presence used to be on Mistmoore, but there's only a couple active there now. I wish there was still a concentrated PA presence... maybe when the next expansion hits (November).

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    edited August 2007
    4 hours to go on broadband, yeah baby

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And re Flight Test: EQ2 is NOT designed for PVP. Some folks like it, but it makes the main point of the game (questing) very tough to do, especially solo. And fighting twinks or having to twink to compete doesn't sound like much fun to me.

The original EQ wasn't designed for PvP either, but that didn't stop SZ from being the best server/game experience they ever released.

The OP is waiting on WAR, which is primarily a PvP game, so I talked about PvP. If you don't like PvP so be it, personally I think playing on an RP server doesn't sound like any fun. Grats me.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I added the bit about Antonia Bayle (and Venekor). The PA presence used to be on Mistmoore, but there's only a couple active there now. I wish there was still a concentrated PA presence... maybe when the next expansion hits (November).

I only know of one other player beside myself on AB, and we've never been on at the same time. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All these people waiting for Warhammer Online are fools

Real men wait for Age of Conan

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »

Real men are willing to settle for any PvP MMORPG they can get their hands on. We're so starved for games.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Nothing quite like chopping a head off while riding top speed on horseback. :^:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I would if I weren't so unsure about the combat not lagging stuff to hell/being dysfunctional.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played vanguard for a while. I'd have to say that the few levels that I did play in the game I had a blast, and the crafting I thoroughly enjoyed. Ultimately, however, I quit due to extreme instability. Someone once said that if they had waited a full year to continue developing the game it would have been vastly improved. I would have to agree with him.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966