As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HUNT ON] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - Keep on Huntin'

• Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heh, I resisted so long getting online with MHF2, but now I realize how much more fun it is with multiple people cause you're not the only target to get killed. What a self-esteem boost! :lol:

geestack on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh man. i just played some mhf2 through ad-hoc party with some dude from quebec. i'm in austin. voice quality was fucking perfect and the game had no lag. amazing.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    good times tonight geestack

sorry i was was so quiet, still not a fan of typing with the dpad

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah, no probs, my mic was getting low on juice since I forgot to charge it. Hopefully have all the technical problems ironed out soon

geestack on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone for some Ad Hoc Party?

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey vare, sorry I couldn't make it on earlier today, was spending time with Killzone 2. If you're up for some ad-hoc partying tomorrow, I'm definitely up for it.

geestack on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No worries dude, I need to take off of work tomorrow, I'm not feeling well. Renzo, you around tomorrow as well? We can get a Penny-Arcade group together to really have some fun.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    oh shiiit.

yeah man, i'm down.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just post up a time and I'll be there

geestack on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I pretty much just occasionally check into the MH threads to ask:

Any word on a release date for MH3 in the US yet?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I pretty much just occasionally check into the MH threads to ask:

Any word on a release date for MH3 in the US yet?

At least 2010, AFAIK.

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How's 1 pm EST sound for everyone?

Varega on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Varega wrote: »

You guys are making me jealous.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's been a while since anyone has mentioned Monster Hunter Frontier. I recall someone saying that they blocked US IP addresses from the game, but has anyone tried to get in on the Korean game? If there is a way to do that, I'd totally be down for some action. I really wish they'd release Frontiers to the US audience, or at least give us a server. =\

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Varega wrote: »

I am so down

geestack on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am ready and waiting dudes.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    i'm getting on, be there in a sec

geestack on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Vare, let me restart real quick, seem to be having some problems with my ps3 internet connection

geestack on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's people's schedules for the week? We should try to set up a day of Monster Hunting.

Varega on
  • Options
    AquamaniacAquamaniac Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shiola wrote: »
    Haha, yeah, sorry about that. I'm playing 2G. Desert Cone and Magnitude are both very powerful hammers. I'm working on making a good greatsword next, but I haven't decided on a weapon path.

I'm sure ranged weapons would make gravios fairly easy, but I think I still prefer the challenge of melee. That, and I don't have any good gunner armor. < <;

My main problem with gravios is avoiding the er, emissions, following the beam of death. They happen frequently, and have range enough to push you away even when standing at the edge of grav's model. The only relative safe strategy I've heard of involves repeatedly attacking the wing as it lowers itself for attacks... but its wings aren't exactly weak, so this takes ages.

Honestly though, I haven't really tried forming/perfecting my own strategy against gravios since I pretty much avoid fighting it at all costs. That's probably all I need to do, I just hate dealing with this mob. :|

I finally figured out how to beat G-Rank gravios! The dual swords Holy Knight Sabers with sharpness +1 armor skill let you own it with bout 5-10 minutes left solo. (Less if you capture it when it starts limping.) Just get under it's belly and demon combo away. When it does it's gas attacks, demon combo the tail. (Takes more damage than the wings.) If you're lucky you can even get a few hits on it as it charges past you. You barely even have to worry about it's beam attacks because you're close to it the whole time. Not sure if this strategy works against black gravios, but I'll try it when I get a chance.

Aquamaniac on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, took a short vacation to San Francisco this weekend. Stopped by the WonderCon comic convention. Capcom was one of the sponsors/exhibitors, and were mostly showing off Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5.

They did, however, have a couple of screens looping a Monster Hunter Freedom Unite promotional trailer, as well as 4 PSPs set up running an English-translated Unite. It didn't draw as many crowds as the other games on display, and it was a bummer that they just set up a couple of generic characters on the systems that were pretty much using the stock weapons and kut ku armor at best. But still!

I asked one of the guys there about a date, and he said July. Take that with a grain of salt though.

On a personal note, I somehow squeaked by and took on Four Horns on the plane ride. And managed to get a whole lot of materials to finish some weapons that I'll have to go try out now!

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, took a short vacation to San Francisco this weekend. Stopped by the WonderCon comic convention. Capcom was one of the sponsors/exhibitors, and were mostly showing off Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5.

They did, however, have a couple of screens looping a Monster Hunter Freedom Unite promotional trailer, as well as 4 PSPs set up running an English-translated Unite. It didn't draw as many crowds as the other games on display, and it was a bummer that they just set up a couple of generic characters on the systems that were pretty much using the stock weapons and kut ku armor at best. But still!

I asked one of the guys there about a date, and he said July. Take that with a grain of salt though.

On a personal note, I somehow squeaked by and took on Four Horns on the plane ride. And managed to get a whole lot of materials to finish some weapons that I'll have to go try out now!

Amazon has the release of Unite listed as April 30, 2009. Take that with a bigger grain of salt, I guess.

• Options
    edited March 2009
    So, does anyone with 2ndG ever do the ps3 adhoc tunneling? I'm going to try to figure out how here soon, and am wondering if I would see anyone from here... there.

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I've noticed a few 2ndG players on ad-hoc, I don't think it would be a huge problem to find someone hosting a game.

And yeah, if anyone's up for ad-hoc partying this weekend, post it up and I'll probably be there.

geestack on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just thought I would let you know that the pricing for Monster Hunter G and probably Monster Hunter 3 has been released in Japan. Since it is a Wii game they will use the wii points system, but in Japan 30 days will be 800 points 60 days will be 1500 points and 90 days wll me 2000 points. This is just for the network play stuff so you can still solo all you want to alone.

I expect it will be the same for Monster Hunter 3, what would be nice though is that if we get both games in the US that we can use that "ticket" system as they call it, to play both games online, but that won't really make them as much money so I would expect double the charge if they release both, but from what I understand only 3 has been announced for state side and not G.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    3 has not been announced for state side and neither has G.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    3 has not been announced for state side and neither has G.

Unless you mean an actual confirmed release date, Monster hunter G is coming to the US as Unite.

From Kotaku (also on a number of other sites):
    Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G has shifted 2.5 million copies since going on sale March 2008. The game is being localized for the U.S. as Monster Hunter Portable Unite and will get beefed up via PSN.

They've also hinted at bringing MH3 to EU and NA markets.
    ...we plan to release our leading titles overseas to acquire game users, as the overseas market for Wii is extensive. One of our leading titles is "Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)." If we can gain recognition of this product in the European and North American markets, our market strategy will see a noticeable change.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, he's talking about Monster Hunter G, which is the Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G remake for the Wii.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I thought Monster Hunter G for the Wii was just a port of the original Monster Hunter G for the PS2.

Renzo on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Renzo is correct.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    No, he's talking about Monster Hunter G, which is the Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G remake for the Wii.

Actually my understanding is Hahnsoo is correct.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5117519/capcom-announces-monster-hunter-g-wii
    In the upcoming issue of Japanese game mag Famitsu, Capcom reveals another Monster Hunter Wii title, Monster Hunter G.

Originally released as a PS2 title and later ported to the PSP, the game was released in the West as Monster Hunter Freedom.

There, it's settled.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good job Renzo now what will we talk about?

How bout how I need one more rath ruby and silver rath won't give it up for me. Everyday we kill him sometimes my partner gets 2 of them, think he has 8 extra right now. I haven't seen one for like two weeks. I just need one more you bastard.

Atleast I am getting fairly wealthy as I am just selling everything. Sitting around 300k right now iirc.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What can I say, I enjoy ruining people's fun.

Renzo on
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you guys willing to pay a monthly fee when it comes out on wii? If they end up charging a fee in the US, I'll probably stick to Freedom Unite for psp.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Svevin wrote: »
    Are you guys willing to pay a monthly fee when it comes out on wii? If they end up charging a fee in the US, I'll probably stick to Freedom Unite for psp.

I am willing to pay for MH3. For G? Yeah not so much.

corin7 on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'll definitely pay for a few months worth, and then when I suffer burnout I can just quit or stick to local co-op. Obviously it would be even better if it were free, but them's the breaks.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

How bout how I need one more rath ruby and silver rath won't give it up for me. Everyday we kill him sometimes my partner gets 2 of them, think he has 8 extra right now. I haven't seen one for like two weeks. I just need one more you bastard.

Atleast I am getting fairly wealthy as I am just selling everything. Sitting around 300k right now iirc.

If I recall, the percentages might be better in a capture, though I seldom do it myself.

Other than breaking the head, hoping for a tail carve (I've been using a hammer, so I just ignore this), the only other thing I usually try for upping my odds is wearing a high fate set. I just need to make a fate set with earplugs, and I'd be all set....

My recent nemeses (nemesises? nemesis's?) have been ash lao and HR6 gaoren. I can repel ash, but I'm just not putting out enough damage to kill him. Gaoren, I think I just have to look at new strategies, 'cause I'm just not making a dent.

My initial gut reaction to a monthly fee for 3 was: ugh, screw that. But I guess it'd be okay depending on how the game is, and what exactly a monthly is paying for.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Same. I'm not going to pay for a monthly fee.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

If I recall, the percentages might be better in a capture, though I seldom do it myself.

Other than breaking the head, hoping for a tail carve (I've been using a hammer, so I just ignore this), the only other thing I usually try for upping my odds is wearing a high fate set. I just need to make a fate set with earplugs, and I'd be all set....

My recent nemeses (nemesises? nemesis's?) have been ash lao and HR6 gaoren. I can repel ash, but I'm just not putting out enough damage to kill him. Gaoren, I think I just have to look at new strategies, 'cause I'm just not making a dent.

My initial gut reaction to a monthly fee for 3 was: ugh, screw that. But I guess it'd be okay depending on how the game is, and what exactly a monthly is paying for.

That's the thing. I'm pretty sure the only thing we're paying for are the servers. It's not like an MMO where free content patches will be released every now and then. I know servers aren't free, but if it's only used for matchmaking, it's no different than a standard FPS game server, and those never ask for a monthly fee.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png