As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Command Bunker - Battle Reports for any games

Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punkhedge witchRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
This topic is for the discussion of your recent playthroughs of any tabletop wargames, be it 40k,Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Warmachine, or even using Risk pieces to whack/shoot each other (Just kidding, though a friend and I did this once).

Remember to try and post army lists, and give as much detail as you can about the battle. A good strategy is to record it play by play on a piece of paper.

Feel free to discuss other people's battles, however, to keep the topic controlled:
Don't just go "LOL u suck" if someone loses. Instead, go "Here's what you did wrong, and how to fix it".
At the same time, don't make a post just saying "LOL, gratz on teh win". Give the guy a pat on the back, and give him any of your advice. Peacefully, mind you.
Don't derail the thread. That's not fun for the people who want to actually talk about their megabattles and such.
Keep discussions about specific battles within the range of 2 pages. After that, let it die down if you can.

Let's get this party started!

Mortal Sky on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would suggest editing in a better title, such as... well, anything a little more catchy and descriptive than what you've got, that also better delineates what's going on in here. "The War Room - Battle Reports and Tactics for all table top games."

I'll repost some of what I've got when I'm off work.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goddamnit. I was going to create this after I play my game today. We actually need some, y'now BATTLEREPORTS. And yes, gabe is Right, we need a better title. Something like "Tales of Glory: Battle reports from wargames"

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Or better yet, combine the two!
    "Wartales of Gloryroom!"

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about 'Waaaagh! for the Blood Emperor: One thread, 40,000 Warhammers'

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Report from 7-17, Witch Hunters vs Necrons.

First off, my apologies for neither pictures, nor my usual report structure. The Witch Hunters I fought were all only basecoated, and I wasn't in the mood for taking my usual thorough notes, train delays due to Earthquake having tripled my travel time to actually get the place of gaming.

Well, I said I was going to field my Sisters today, along with their shiny new Penitent Engine, but I hadn't done much work on them since my last game on the 1st, and the Soritas were all still bare metal and I didn't want to put them on the table again without any signs of progress. So instead I took my Necrons, and I'm glad I did. On the one hand, three other players there had Witch Hunter armies, and on the other, I got to re- fight the historical battle of Sanctuary 101 (at least, that's what my opponent and I decided at the end of turn 8. [For those of you not intimately familiar with Witch Hunter fluff, Sanctuary 101 was the first confirmed Imperium contact with the Necrons, where they wiped out all the inhabitants of a Soritas fortress-convent. That might give you a hint as to how the game went.]

So, after rolling for mission a couple times and being dissatisfied with the results, we did a strategy rating roll off, and my opponent decided on Seek and Destroy. He wanted to play gamma level, but around here games are always gamma level, so I suggested rolling for it, just for the sake of variety. We ended up with Omega, which was good for me, and terrible for him, because our lists looked like this.

Necrons:
    Lord w/Staff, Res Orb, Veil
    11 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    6 Immortals
    10 Pariahs
    4 Destroyers
    3 Hvy Destroyers

Witch Hunters:
    Cannoess w Jetpack
    Seraphim
    10 Sisters in rhino
    10 Sisters in rhino
    10 Sisters in rhino
    Inquisitor
    Callidus
    2x Exorcists

Omega Escalation meant that as of first turn, I started with everything on the board save my two destroyer squads, whereas he could deploy nothing but his Inquisitor, and no other units could be brought on till turn 2 at the earliest. So I stuck all my units right on the edge of the deployment zone, while his inquisitor hugged the dust behind some area terrain ruins in the NE corner of his deployment zone. Didn't do him much good though, because I won the roll for first turn, and veiled my Lord along with the 11 Warrior squad in right behind him, and gauss flayed the Inquisitor right down to his boot laces, the expected outcome of one model being the focus of 25 shots.

So WH first turn, there was nothing on the board, and my opponent was distinctly nonplussed. Turn 2, my Destroyers came on, and I turbo boosted them towards the area terrain forest in the middle of the board (thank the stargods, because they needed that invulnerable save) and everyone else went forward another 6", my other Warriors taking up position in the aforementioned forest, my Immortals lurking behind the southwest corner of the ruins that the late, not-so-great Inquisitor was gunned down near, Lord and Warriors teleporting to appear by the southeast corner of the ruins and Pariahs heading towards another patch of forest close to the WH deployment zone to set up a fire base.

It was very lucky of me that I was advancing with such a mind on defensive positions, because on turn 2, the WHs made their reserve roll for both Exorcists, the Seraphim, the Cannoness, and two squads of sisters with rhinos. I'm lucky I teleported the Lord and Warriors out, because if I'd walked them into the ruins like I'd previously intended to set up a firing line to greet his arriving forces, they would've borne the brunt of 4/5s of the army's supply of righteous indignation.

Fortunately, with most of my guys within cover and out of sight, the Sisters were not able to unleash the full fury of their firepower upon their living metal keesters. One Exorcist shot at my destroyers, who, with their turbo-boost invulnerable saves, were able to shrug it off, and the other at my warriors in the woods, whose cover save kept them safe. Then it was my turn again.

Turn 3: Lord and warriors walked out from behind the ruins to target the Rhinos near the right edge of the board. Immortals walked in the opposite direction to target the other. Pariahs edged to the side of the small forest to get a side shot on one of the Exorcists, Destroyers drifted to the left to line up a side shot on the other. In shooting, I managed to pop the Rhino facing my lord and company, and stunned the other one. One Exorcists was destroyed outright, and the other was shaken, then had it's pipes blown off.

Boy oh boy were the Soritas pissed. The Callidus came on, popping up behind my Lord and his squad. The sisters from the destroyed rhino came forward, and with melta, heavy flamer, and Divine Guidance, shot down 8 Warriors. The Callidus used her neural shredder to drop one more, then killed the last two in assault, really rubbing it in my face by using her c'tan phase blade, leaving her and the Lord face to face.

Meanwhile, the Seraphim jumped right over the ruins (one managing to splat herself against a pillar as she landed), and between them, the sisters from the Rhino that the Immortals shook, the Cannoness, and some more Divine Guidance, all six of them were gunned down, never to return.

Necron turn 4, the Lord said, 'To hell with this!' and teleported across the board, coming down between the Destroyers and the Warriors in the forest to lend them both the use of his Res Orb. With the vehicles mostly accounted for, the Pariahs cut a hard right, heading to where the Immortals used to be. Warriors and Destroyers killed half of the Seraphim squad, and the Pariahs, with 20 gauss blaster shots, wiped out the second squad of sisters.

On his turn, my opponent realized that even though they had no guns, since they were both still mobile, his remaining Rhino and Exorcist could block LOS and tank shock my units, since almost all my forces were concentrated in the same part of the board as they were. Both the Rhino and the Exorcist moved forward, limiting my LOS into his deployment zone, in preparation of his last squad of sisters finally arriving. The Seraphim shot and assaulted my warriors in the forest, killing 2 with a flamer, and two more in hand to hand. Because of the way I had the Warriors strung out in a firing line through the forest, this cleared all the BtB models, and the Warriors luckily failed their Leadership check then fell back 12" (avoiding my usual fate of the whole unit being run down and slaughtered). Realizing what a threat he could be, the Cannoness jumped into inferno pistol range of my Lord, and managed to ding him for 1 wound, then assaulted, achieving no further wounds, and taking none in return.

Turn 5 started with my Warriors regrouping, two of the four casualties making their WBB rolls, and my Heavy Destroyers finally making it onto the board. I brought them up on the right of where the Warriors had fallen back to. My opponent spent a faith point to give his Seraphim an invulnerable save as the surviving warriors and Hvy Destroyers opened up on them, but when the shooting stopped, only the Sister Superior was still flying. My Lord teleported out of combat with the Cannoness, reappearing 8 inches away, and between his shooting and the Pariahs standing right behind her, she was quickly reduced to a cloud of randomly drifting molecules. My regular Destroyers drifted left a little bit, lining up the side armor of the Exorcist to stop its attempts at tank-shocking shenanigans, succeeding in immobilizing it, although it fell to the Pariahs to explode it. Pariahs meanwhile, had moved right, trying to get the squad of sisters into range as it came around the side of the ruins.

The last squad of sisters finally made it in, the Rhino cruising onto the battlefield in the upper left quarter of the board, and slewing to a stop so that it's riders could pile out in range of my Destroyers. Actually, due to the intervening terrain, only two of the Destroyers could be targeted, but they were both shot down, hard. The other surviving Rhino, with my Pariahs in its sights, attempted a tank shock, and learned the hard way what a very, very bad plan that was. It wasn't hard for the Pariahs to pass their leadership check and get to pull a death or glory, which meant one model got to make an automatic hit against the tank shocking Rhino. Pariahs are s5 to begin with, and their warscythes give them 2d6 to penetrate. It was a very anime-like moment, as the Rhino bore down on the lone Pariah implacably holding his ground, he drew back his warscythe, and in a flash of fractal-edge sliced photons, split the Rhino right down the middle. The Callidus managed to tag one of my Hvy Destroyers with her neural shredder, but was thankfully out of charge distance. The lone Seraphim made it back into assault with my Warriors, but there was a lot of embarrassing whiffing on both sides, and nothing much happened.

Turn 6, both Destroyers made their WBB rolls, and all four lined themselves up to shoot at the fresh squad of sisters, being very careful to stay out of charge range. The Lord teleported himself in that direction as well, scattering just far enough to be at the very limit of his firing range. The Hvy Destroyers (their single casualty also made his WBB roll) drifted to the left to make sure the surviving sisters couldn't hurt them too much, and that the Callidus stayed out of charge range, and then unloaded their shots into her. One wound, on failed Invulnerable save, and one instant kill later, she was no longer a problem. Shooting at the fresh squad produced surprisingly few casualties, and they stood their ground. Assault with the Seraphim again involved much swatting of air, but this time she used her hit and run move to disengage.

The surviving squad of sisters on the far right advanced, but were out of shooting range of the Hvy Destroyers. The Seraphim ran right at my Warriors, not accomplishing much with shooting, and again charging into assault, getting dragged down and messily clobbered by my Warriors before she could bring her eviscerator to bear.

This ended turn 6, and since it was Omega level, the extra turns rule came into effect. I rolled a 4, and thus turn 7 began. Things weren't looking good for the Witch Hunters. The Hvy Destroyers and Pariahs opened up on the sisters by the ruins, wiping the squad out. Shooting from the Destroyers killed most of the sisters on the right side of the board, leaving only the rhino and the sister superior standing. She failed her morale check, and started falling back. The Lord charged the Rhino, but whiffed with his warscythe.

On the WH turn, the Sister Superior fell back to the edge of the board, not quite making it. The Rhino targeted the Destroyers with it's stormbolter, but failed to hurt them.

My opponent rolled for the extra turn this time, and with a 6 on the die, turn 8 started. The Destroyers took care of the last sister on the board, and since the Rhino stayed stationary, the Lord charged it again, and carved it up but good, eliminating the last of the Soritas forces on the battlefield.

It was during the last couple turns, when it seemed highly unlikely that my opponent would be able to score the last seven casualties he needed for Phase Out, and highly likely that I would completly wipe out the WH forces that I said, 'it's just like a replay of Sanctuary 101' and he said, 'no, this _is_ Sanctuary 101. The Inquisitor was messing around with something he shouldn't have and woke up the Necrons. They suddenly appeared, killing him, but not before he could get a warning out. The Soritas responded in force, but were too unprepared for the strength of this unexpected foe, and despite a valiant fight, died to the last." It was really cool, being able to construct such a fluffy narrative to the battle after the fact.

I'm going to say that my Pariahs earned 'most valuable unit' in this game. Just like my Landraider in the last one, one of the reasons why it got my MVP was the fact that it was not shot at even once. My opponent was concentrating solely on killing necron Necrons to try and force the Phase Out, which meant this 10 strong unit was pouring 20 gauss blaster shots a turn into every available target. Every character in the WH army had a Book of Saint Lucius, which nullified the Pariah's fear effect, but it didn't really matter too much, because their shooting left everything too dead for leadership to be an issue.

What do you think, sirs?

tl:dr: BOOM! Dakka dakka dakka!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Game 1: Witch Hunters vs GRey Knights
    Game 2: WH vs GK/Chaos

Inquisition War
    Game 1:
    Cleanse-Gamma-1500
    Witch Hunters vs Daemon Hunters (under the command of Lord Inquisitor Nomura-san)

I won the roll to deploy first, with Celestine and the Seraphim settled in and around the trenches. The Culuxes hugged the border of my deployment zone as closely as he could, to make the trip to the opposing lines as brief as possible.

7-1bh011.jpg
    The Exorcists (the first down between the stormtroopers’ Chimera and the Inquisitor’s pimped ride in the southwest corner of the board, the other up on the west side of the ruins to maximize fire lanes) were positioned with a good view of the Ordo Malleus’ deployment zone.

7-1bh012.jpg

I deployed both my Sisters and the Inquisitor in the ruins in the SW corner, getting them settled in nice and cozy to provide fire support as needed. The DH command squad started off inside their LR Crusader with the rest of the Grey Knights huddled in its shadow to protect them from the intensely colonic cleansing experience of multiple holy missile barrages.

DH: 1 The Crusader slid forward into a better firing lane, the Gks humping along after it to keep in cover from my side of the field.

7-1bh013.jpg

Thus, only the Crusader could do any shooting, opening up on the Living Saint, but neither Hurricane Bolter, nor Donkey Gun managed to beat her 2+ save.

WH 1: I start sliding my tanks forward into better firing positions, and started a trend that would persist unbroken the entire day of rolling 3s and only 3s for the number of shots my Exorcists could get off. The organ-launcher Exorcist fires at the Crusader, scored one hit, nailing it with a 6 on the penetration roll, and then a further 6 on the pen table (Emperor bless you, my little AP1 baby). Since they were all hugging its shadow tight, a good portion of his army makes their saves against the ensuing shrapnel (and they all did). As the command squad was blown ass over ass cannon out of it’s ride, the southern Exorcist was able to get LoS to them, and three missiles, three hits, three wounds, and finally, three failed invulnerable saves later, only the Brother-Captain is left standing on the table. Combined fire from the Land Raider, Chimera, and Heavy Bolter Armsmen failed to do anything other than make him appear even more ruggedly battle worn. However, Celestine unleashed the purifying fury of the Argent blade, frying both the Brother-Captain, and the gaggle of fan club photographers who’d clustered around him for ruggedly battle worn souvenir photos. She then used her assault move to close on the Grey Knight squad huddling in the wreckage near where their land raider used to be.

7-1bh016.jpg

DH2: Two squads of fast attack Grey Knights nail a 5 on their reserves roll and come teleporting in-

7-1bh014.jpg

-to have serious words with my Exorcists on the matter of appropriate forms of inter-ordos communication Said chastisement was so severe that the southern Exorcist went up in an expanding sphere of flame that took three of the chastising Gks with it-

7-1bh015.jpg

-while the western Exorcist shrugged off their rebukes like so many bolter shells pattering impotently off it’s armor. Concentrated fire, and a lot of 1s on armor rolls killed Celestine, but the benevolence of the Emperor diverted her to great waiting lounge in the sky, and she entered reserves. One seraphim was blown from the sky. In assault, the Grey Knights bolstered their criticisms with Nemesis Force weapons, slicing the pipes off the surviving Exorcist.

WH2: The Culuxes puttered around the center of the board, pretty far removed from all the action. The Sisters started piling out of the ruins to bring their flamers to bear on the approaching Grey Knights, but rolled a 1 on their difficult terrain check. Seraphim hand-flamers left 4 grey knights nice and crispy, their sister Superior’s plasma pistol accounting for one more. The sounds of bolterfire and big explosions pulled the Storm troopers out of their Chimera, and they avenged the fallen Exorcist in a hail of plasma, finishing the job that the exploding Exorcist started. The Inquisitor’s heavy bolter arms-men down two more Gks from the squad that had been following the Crusader. The Seraphim piled into their still smoking targets, but inflicted no wounds, took one in return, failed their leadership check, and went flying back 30 cm via hit and run.

DH 3: The grey knights milled around, trying to consolidate from last turn’s casualties. The Daemon-hunter’s ship in orbit got on the ball, and started raining lance strikes onto the battle field. Unfortunately, the terrain they targeted was a wall near the middle near where my assassin was putzing around, and not the ruins where a good third of my army was holed up.

7-1bh010.jpg

The blast scattered just right to nail the Culuxes, who managed to hit the ground and hug his own shadow hard enough to emerge unscathed. Shooting took out one more Seraphim, and the remaining one bolted for the board. One squad of Grey Knights made it into assault with the Battle Sisters, killing two.

WH 3: Hitting a six on my reserve roll, Celestine deep struck in behind the Grey Knights assaulting the battle sisters, because in a moment of inattention I forgot CC would prevent her from flaming their shrouded asses.

7-1bh017.jpg

The lone Seraphim vanished off the edge of the board. The Chimera was up near the center right of the board, hunting Grey Knights, and the Storm Troopers, having nothing better to do, start hoofing it to the east to secure that table quarter, angling northwards to support the Chimera. The LR opened up on the exposed Grey Knights at the top of the board, the remnants of the original troop units, its lascannon downing two, heavy bolter one. 3 more sisters bit it in the assault, while the Inquisitor’s retinue stood fast, hoping to ventilate the Grey Knights once the assault was finished.

DH 4: All Ordo Malleus units worth noting were tied up in assault. (except this one) The Justicar that survived the hail of fire from the Chimera ran up and popped that tank but good, his one surviving squad mate cheering him on, lacking the strength to actually hurt the tank himself . The Culuxes was charged, and fell to seven unsaved wounds. One more casualty, and the Sisters finally broke and fall back, just managing to keep ahead of the pursuing space marines.

WH 4: I roll minimum for the battle sisters fall back move, leaving the Grey Knights nicely within flamer range. The Storm Troopers, pissed about the loss of their sweet ride, plasmafy the Justicar and his lone buddy. The Land Raider uses its lascannons to neatlt excise the last two troop Grey Knights from where they were lurking in the terrain in the northwest corner of the board. The remaining sisters, bearing flamer, heavy flamer, and plasma pistol, unload on the grey knights standing just outside the ruins, the two flame templates managing to take down just one marine between them. The superior sister took her sweet time aiming, filling two separate noses with the sweet sweet smell of plasma scorched flesh, leaving a mere two Grey Knights left on the entire board, whom Celestine then promptly reduced to their most basic meaty bits.

7-1bh018.jpg

Soundly victorius, the force of the Ordo Hereticus couldn’t help but wonder just what had prompted the all out attack against them by the Ordo Malleus. Little did they know, they were about to find out…

Game 2: In Which I Discover the Grey Knights Are Eeeeeeevil.
    Take and Hold – Alpha - 1500
    Witch Hunters vs Grey Knights 1000/Chaos 500 (Arch Heretic Hiroko is fairly new to the game, and only commands a 500 point legion. Ex-Lord Inquisitor Nomura filled out the other 1000 points, and played mentor).

My Inquisitor’s worst suspicions were realized as Grey Knight reinforcements appeared, bolstered by a small force of chaos space marines. The opposing forces deployed across the center of their deployment zone, with the CSM rather out in the open.

7-1bh019.jpg

I tried to concentrate my forces a bit more this time so that the inevitable deep striking Daemonhunters wouldn’t rip-shit my Exorcists quite so easily again, but given the concentration of the opposing forces, and the clear firelanes between me and them on either side of the center ruins, I spaced out my Exorcists to maximize their firing. Somewhere on the battlefield I also had a Callidus assassin lurking, but I forgot to use her ‘Word in Your Ear’ ability.

7-1bh020.jpg

C/DH 1: Greatly lacking long-range weaponry, everyone piled forward, Chaos putting itself even more squarely in my Exorcists’ sights, not that it did much good. I will admit that I waited until after Chaos was done moving to clearly explain what effect staying out in the open right in front of an Exorcist would probably entail.

WH 1: The Stormtroopers scooted forward in their Chimera towards the ruins in the center of the board, where I intended to dig in to make a stand around the objective. Once more, both Exorcists managed to get three shots each, the organ-launcher killing 1 Berserker the other one giving me three 1s on the to-hit roll. 4 CSM fall toe the mighty firepower of my fully operational Deathticle- I mean, Chimera.

C/DH 2: Once again two fast attack Grey Knight squads drop in from reserve, coming to do unto my Exorcists before me Exorcists could do unto them. Both scattered pretty badly. If the one going after the organ-launcher had just gone one centimeter farther, it would’ve been off the board. Unfortunately, it was still in a perfect position to rip the tank’s rear wide open.

7-1bh021.jpg

WH 2: I made my role to bring in the Callidus assassin, and sandwiched the berserkers between her and Celestine up by the central ruins. Neither of their template weapons did any damage, a trend that, much to my extreme discomfort, typified my shooting does for that entire turn, although in close combat, Celestine and the Callidus cut down half the squad. Then both popped out of combat, seeking cover in and around the ruins in the middle of the board, where I had positioned my Seraphim during the movement phase in preparation of flaming and assaulting the knickers off of Chaos during their next turn.

7-1bh023.jpg

My Stormtroopers piled out of their Chimera to move into the ruins in support of the Seraphim, but for the time being were still in the open. Unfortunately, by parking the Exorcist right next to the trench my Inquisitor was in, it blocked line of sight between her retinue, and the two squads o f Grey Knights wreaking havoc in my back field. The Battle sisters who’d spent the first turn hopping the wall and hedges to head towards the middle did an about face, hopping the wall once more to try and deal with the problem. Ignoring the Grey Knights threatening it’s flank, my surviving Exorcist opened up on the Command Squad, occluded LoS meaning that the traitorous Brother-Captain had to be one of the two casualties removed when the rain of missiles ended.

C/DH3 : Nomura-san had learned from the last game, and after rolling for the last squad of fast attack Grey Knights, he dropped them right behind my recently disembarked storm troopers, wiping them out in one round of shooting.

7-1bh022.jpg

Taking care of my plasma squads before they could be brought to bear was not the only lesson he’d learned from the previous game. Correcting his previous gaff of orbital strike placement, this time he chose to drop it right on top of that nice, tempting, cover save-a-riffic piece of area terrain in the center of the board housing the center marker, figuring that it was surely where I would surely try and set up and firebase, and was in fact right where I’d just parked Celestine, the Callidus, and my Seraphim. After much hemming and hawing over where to drop the pie-plate, the lance came down right on top of my seraphim.

7-1bh023.jpg

The Lance strike hit two of them, but the roll to wound came up snake eyes. Shooting took one wound off Celestine, and in the subsequent assault each side accomplished a whole lot of nothing. My Exorcist wasn’t so lucky this time around, getting glanced thrice and penetrated twice, going up in an immense spray of detonating ordnance. A highly problematic turn of events as the Exorcist was parked right next to the Inquisitor and her retinue. Fortunately, the heretical Nomura rolled minimum on the explosion distance, and no one was actually touched by the blast.

WH 3: The Land Raider, which I’d completely forgotten about on the previous turn, reved up the hill in front of it, giving it a nice firing lane at the surviving terminators. It’s heavy bolter turned one more termie into a shattered mess, leaving the command squad with only a sole survivor.

7-1bh024.jpg

I started hustling the Inquisitor forward so her retinue’s firepower could support the growing problem around the objective, so her armsmen were sadly unable to lend assitance in the matter of the Grey Knights in my back field. The Battle Sisters however were finally in range to start unleashing flamey death on the edge-riding Daemon Hunters. Too bad I’d dropped the Vet Sister to make room for the Callidus, so no acts of faith this time to bolster the attack (not that I remembered to actually use them even once in either game), or plasma to provide additional punch. The Heavy Flamer charbroiled two where they stood, and although the regular flamer didn’t accomplish anything, the combined shooting of eight pissed-off chicks with bolt weaponry reduced the traitorous malleus marines to a grease stain dripping the edge of the table. The Chimera turned in place to take on the Knights that slaughtered its stormtroopers, downing one.

Celestine killed one grey knight in CC, making two 4+ saves from retaliatory power weapon attacks. The callidus dropped a couple of chaos marines. The seraphim charged and achieved precisely zilch in assault, but at least didn’t take any wounds in return. All three of them once more pop out of assault, falling back into the central ruins (I’d completely forgot about the orbital strike).

GK/C 4: Orbital strike be damned, all the surviving chaos and grey knight forces on the north side of the ruin went clambering for a piece of the action of the Adeptus Soritas dug in within. To prevent themselves from further shootination, the Grey Knights by the Chimera lined up along it’s side and Bonny & Clyded it till it went boom. The Assassin was brought down in a hail of bullets, but the Lance Strike scattered too far to hit anything, and in the subsequent assault Celestine gutted one Berserker, then popped out of CC, a good fifteen inches. She kept rolling so high on her fallback that I started calling it her ‘runaway!’move.

WH 4: Between Celestine and the Seraphim, flamer templates wiped out an entire squad of Chaos Space Marines and a couple of grey knights too. The Seraphim then assaulted, did nothing, lost the combat, and were then run down. Celestine massacred the rest of the stormtrooper alayers, and then Hit and Ran back into the ruins (I never learn).

7-1bh025.jpg

With all the Grey Knights on my side of the board firmly dealt with, the Inquisitor and Sisters rank up and head towards the center.

GK/C5: Ragged, tattered, but not yet beat, the remaining members of the foully heretical force move in towards the center of the board. The sole remaining Berserker rages after Celestine, putting them both under the template when the Lance comes down again. The Berserker survives (to-wound roll of 1) and so does Celestine (4+ invulnerable save). The Berserker assaults Celestine to no effect, and she flits off towards the hill my Land Raider is chilling on.

WH 5: Battle Sisters and Inquisitor + crew advance towards the center of the board, trying to get into 24 cm circle around the center. Both were at full strength, having taken zero fire during the course of the game, and this gets them within 12” of the sole Berserker. This lets the whole retinue open up for the first time ever. The berserker shrugs off everything, save for a single shot from the medical servitor’s articulated scalpel (laspistol), dropping him face first in the smoldering ruins.

7-1bh027.jpg

A solitary missile launcher-toting chaos space marine had spent the last three turns humping his way around the central ruins to line up a shot on my land raider, and got just far enough to be square in it’s sights this turn. The Land Raider then proceded to blow off not just his pants, but everything else in between the soles of his boots and the top of his helmet.

7-1bh026.jpg
    Portrait of man about to have very bad day.

Celestine’s flamer leaves the last terminator pleasantly baked, not fried.

GK/C 6: One partial squad of CSM and Grey Knights are all that remain of the doubly traitorous forces, and they manage to force Celestine to save against two wounds.

WH 6: The sisters drop one more Grey Knight with massed bolter fire. Celestine manages to tag one Grey Knight and one CSM with her flamer, and then with aesthetic style vomiting all over common sense, instead of assaulting, she used her 6” jet pack move to fall into the lead of my two remaining units, leaving the remaining Chaos and Malleus units at exactly half strength, and within 24cm of the center of the board. With Celestine an independent character, and the Land Raider a dedicated transport for the Inquisitor, I also had only two scoring units within range of the center, ending the game in a draw.

7-1bh028.jpg

It was only after the second game was over that we realized we'd completly forgotten about Shrouding for the Grey Knights. I think my Land Raider got MVP in each game, because there was very little in either game that was up to handling AV 14. In fact, I don't think anything actually took a shot at the Raider in either game.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ein v Manny: Two men walked in, but only two walked out again!

Chaos v Daemonhunters

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [FONT=&quot]Necrons vs Chaos 03/07
    Alpha Recon – 1000 points[/FONT]

Chaos List:
    Chaos LT: Plasma Pistol
    Chaos Marines[A] x 10: Flamer, Banner, Plasma Pistol, Power Fist
    Chaos Marines x 8: Plasma Pistol x2, Power Fist, Icon Bearer
    Obliterator
    Havoc Squad x 5: Heavy Bolter x 2
    Dreadnought: Plasma Cannon
    Bloodletters x 7
    Plaguebearers x 6
    chaossetup.jpg

Necron List:
    Lord: Resurrection Orb, Veil of Darkness
    Warriors[A] x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Scarabs x 6
    Destroyers x 4
    Heavy Destroyers x 3
    Phase Out: 7 Models
    necronsetup.jpg
    One of my heavy destroyers lost its targeter in transit. Other than that, they fared much better than the nids did.
    Chaos won the dice off, and chose first turn.
    Chaos 1:
    Movement:

Both Marine squads and the Oblit moved forward, the Havocs and Dread staying where they were.
    Shooting:
    The Dread missed Warriors with it’s plasma cannon. The Oblit attempted to Las the Destroyers, but setting a trend that would continue the rest of the game, it failed its Leadership check to bypass the closer target, and instead vaporized one of Warriors[A]. The Havoc’s Heavy Bolters manage to clip one member of Warriors.
    Necron 1:
    Warriors’s casualty sticks his legs back on and pops back up. The Lord and Destroyers teleport out. The Dreadnought worried me, but was too close to the corner to risk trying to teleport behind, so instead I had them reappear in front of it, scattering forward 4”. With a front armor of 12, that meant I’d be relying on 6s from the Destroyers to hurt it.
    Movement:
    The Scarabs went forward, hugging the edge of the middle hill, ready to charge in and tar pit whatever unit I decided was deserving. The rest of the Necrons cut to the right, Warriors[A] hopping onto the hill recently vacated by the Scarabs, Warriors moved into the spaceship wreckage. I was hoping to force the Marines to string themselves out as they came after me, so I could concentrate my firepower.
    Shooting:
    The Heavy Destroyers discombobulate two of the Havocs. While the Destroyers have no problem hitting the Dreadnought, the penetration rolls are terrible, and only one 6 shows up. I got lucky, and rolled another 6 on the glancing table, scrapping the dread.
    dreaddown.jpg

Chaos 2:
    The Plaguebearers put in an appearance, apparating on the opposite side of the hill my Scarabs are lurking against.
    Movement;
    Both Marines and the Oblit marched forward again. Not once in the whole game did the Obliterator move less than 5” in a turn. Once again, the Havocs stayed where they were –
    Shooting:
    -blasting away at Warriors, knocking down the same guy just as he was dusting himself off from the last fall. The Oblit tried to line up a lascannon shot at my Heavy Destroyers, whiffed the priority check and instead melted a hole through the face of another member of Warriors[A].
    Assault:
    Plaguebearers charged my Scarabs, making 24 attacks, wounding with 10. Using nothing but a 5+ save, the Scarabs managed to soak 7 of them, losing only one base, while killing 2 Plaguebearers back.

Necron 2:
    Hacking up a couple of Heavy Bolter shells, Warrior’s casualty popped back up like a Gauss armed jack-in-the-box. The Lord and his Destroyer posse teleported a mere 10” forward, bringing the Havoc squad into range of the Lord’s Staff of Light.
    Movement:
    The rest of my army kept drifting to the right, Warriors getting hung up in the spaceship wreckage with a terrible difficult terrain check, a problem that would bedevil them for the rest of their brief existence.
    Shooting:
    The Destroyers and Lord managed to drop just a single Havoc between them, leaving it up to the Heavy Destroyers to Gauss-filet the last two.

necron2.jpg

Assault:
    The Plaguebearers inflicted five more wounds on the Scarabs, who saved four of them, the plucky little mecha-bugs refusal to die starting to draw attention from nearby spectators, as well as my opponent’s ire. They then managed to tear one more Plaguebearer apart into itty bits of random immaterium.
    assault2.jpg

Chaos 3
    Movement:
    All the marines continued their steady march forward, Marines[A] heading towards the combat to see what the Plaguebearers were having so much trouble with, Marines sliding towards the left side of the table.
    chaos3.jpg
    Shooting:
    Since he seemed so good at it, the Obliterator lased another member of Warrior[A], intentionally this time.
    Assault: The scarabs’ luck ran out. They saved only 1 out of 4 wounds inflicted on them by the Plaguebearers. When Marines[A] charged in, they only inflicted three wounds, but the Scarabs managed to soak neither them nor the extra two wounds they took for being out numbered during resolution.
    Necron 3:
    Here’s where things started going wrong. Getting cocky, Lord and his posse teleported in to get a firing angle on the Obliterator, scattering directly towards it and ending up way too close.
    Movement:
    Heavy Destroyers tubro-boosted across the board to come up behind the Destroyers, giving them a line on the Obliterator. Both Warrior squads tried to drop towards the back of the board, but Warriors got a 1 on their difficult terrain check to withdraw from the wreckage.
    Shooting:
    Lord and Posse served the Obliterator up a heaping helping of weaksauce. I’m not sure it even noticed it was being shot at.
    Assault:
    So much for plucky bugs. The Marines and Plaguebearers squish the remaining Scarabs, and then roll doube 6s on their consolidation move, the Marines heading towards Warriors and the Plaguebearers edging around the hill in a move that I realize will quite possibly get them into charge range of my Heavy Destroyers.

Chaos 4:
    Oh look, the Bloodletters finally decided to check their messages, and show up at the battle. Oh look, they scattered directly into charge range of the Lord and Destroyers. Yeah, I screwed the pooch on that one all right. In fact, it’s still spinning as we speak.

chaos4.jpg
    Movement:
    The Plaguebearers keep on hugging the hill, heading towards my Heavy Destroyers. Marines[A] bear down on Warriors while the LT and Marines take a less direct route down the left side of the table, coming towards Warriors[A] from their flank. The Obliterator takes a few ponderous steps towards the Destroyers.

chaosassault3.jpg

Shooting:
    Marines inflicts one casualty on Warriors with their flamer. The Obliterator twin-linked Meltaed a Destroyer, just to make sure it took.
    Assault:
    The Plaguebearers charged, but the Heavy Destroyers shrugged off both their attacks, and the effects of Nurgle’s Rot. The Bloodletters charged, and ripped the Destroyers apart. Fortunately, the Lord was tucked in the middle of all those flying bases, and was out of reach and unscathed, leaving the Oblit with its Powerfist up it’s butt when Intiative 1 finally rolled around. With all the negative modifiers, he had to roll below 5 to keep from breaking. Coming up with a cool 3, he told the daemons to bring it, confident in the power of the Res Orb to return his Destroyers to life. Marines[A] dog pile Warriors, knocking down 5 Necrons, the Aspiring Champion’s powerfist liquefying one more. The Warriors hold fast, and everyone piles in.

chaoscharge.jpg

Necron 4:
    Fun Fact: When no one was looking, the Deciever replaced the Lord’s Res Orb with a luminescent bowling ball. This explains how all four Destroyers failed their WBB roll, leaving the Lord standing there all by his lonesome with a goofy look on his face. My backup plan was to have the Lord teleport out of there with the Heavy Destroyers, saving them from the Plaguebearers, but they turned out to be 6.5 inches away. So, the Lord said, “Screw you guys, I’m going home,” and teleported back to the deployment zone, reappearing on the hill with Warriors[A].

HDovershoulder.jpg

Meanwhile, two members of Warriors made their rolls, and climbed back to their feet.
    Movement:
    Warriors[A] Headed towards the left edge of the hill to engage Marines, but only six shots were in range, none of them managing to wound.
    Assault:
    The Marines knocked down three more Warriors from , the Powerfist crunching a fourth. Still no casualties inflicted in return. I made a Leadership roll of 3, and the squad held fast to keep on fighting.

necron4assault.jpg

Chaos 5:
    Movement:

The Obliterator reversed course (rolled a six for movement again), heading back for my side of the table. The Chaos LT and Marines moved forward into rapid fire range.
    Shooting:
    The Obliterator opened fire on Warriors[A] using a Heavy Bolter to try for maximum casualties (after all, with the Lord there, there was no advantage to using the Lascanon when more shots would be more effective). Still only managed to knock down one. A flurry of rapid fire plasma from Marines took down four more Warriors.

chaos5.jpg

Assault:
    Marines[A] knocked down one more warrior, and then the Aspiring Champions Powerfist finished off the last survivor of Warriors. The Bloodletters charged the Heavy Destroyers and had their twisted way with the Necron’s attractively shaped discharge conduits. At this point, I had only three models left on their feet. The only way I could avoid Phase out would be for all five fallen Warriors to make their WBB roll next turn.
    Necron 5:
    Well look who finally figured out how to turn on a Resurrection Orb. All five Warriors get back to their feet, ready to make a final stand.

necron5.jpg

Movement:
    The Lord takes the lead, and the remaining Warriors line up at the edge of the hill to pour atomically disassociating death down on the Chaos Lieutenant and his lackeys.
    Shooting:
    The Lord’s Staff of Light left one Chaos Marine with a smoking hole where his torso used to be, gauss fire flaying five more down to their constituent atoms.
    laststand.jpg
    Assault:
    With nothing left to lose, the Lord and Warriors charged, getting a 6 on their difficult terrain roll to make it down the hill and pile into the Lieutenant and his two remaining Marines.

final.jpg

After the brilliance of their shooting, one warrior gets knocked out before getting to attack, the Lord misses completely, and the warriors fail to cause any wounds before the Aspiring Champion’s power fist squishes one more warrior. I make one last roll for Leadership, the Necrons break, and are run down.

Final thoughts:
    Y’know, I don’t think that there’s a single game I’ve lost with Necrons that you cannot point to stupid teleporter tricks as the initial cause of my undoing. I knew that I was going to have to work to keep the Chaos units at a distance and whittle them down. My initial tactic of popping around the Destroyer squad, where they would have a 36” field of fire to decimate select targets worked quite well (although I simply got lucky in regards to taking down the dreadnought). I screwed up by getting way too close to the Obliterator, although I would’ve had a pretty decent chance to recover from that, had not the Bloodletters appeared just then. That was a good half my army I lost to daemons. I was trying to minimize my vulnerability by sneaking around behind my opponent, but in order to do that, I had to sacrifice the so very needed range advantage, and employing the Destroyers against the Obliterator wasn’t a very effective choice of targets anyway. If I had taken both Destroyer units back to the left side of the table, I would’ve been able to target the Obliterator with the Heavy Destroyers (who would’ve probably proven more effective against it’s 2/5+ save) and had the Destroyers use their volume of fire to greater effect against ranks of more space marines. Not only would the Warriors havethen been available for additional support, but it would’ve kept the Lord in the thick of my forces, where his special abilities could’ve been brought to bear wherever hot spots developed, instead of being all the way across the table, and unable to react in an effective manner.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Alpha Cleanse – 1500 points
    Necrons vs Tyranids
    Lots of 1s on the dice rolls to determine mission and level.
    Necron list
    Lord: Gaze of Flame, Solar Pulse, Veil of Darkness
    Warriors[A] x 10
    Warriors x 10
    Scarabs[A] x 6
    Scarabs x 6
    Immortals[A] x 10
    Immortals x 7
    Heavy Destroyers[A] x 3
    Heavy Destroyers x 2
    Phase Out: 11 models

necronarmy.jpg

Tyranid List:
    I suffered heavy casualties before the game, with the CC ‘fex losing both scything talons and a crushing claw in transit, all of the ravenors also losing at least one arm and the venom cannon coming off the shooty 'fex. Strangely, it was only those unpainted models that seemed to suffer. Even the Flying Hive Tyrant, whose wings seem to have a preternatural will to be anywhere but on his back, made it through okay.

Hive Tyrant: Flesh Hooks, Winged, Scything Talons (x2), Warp Field
    Hormagaunts x 12
    Gaunt Brood x 14: Fleshborer
    Genestealers x 8: Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks
    Gargoyles x 8
    Ravener[A] x 3: Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Devourer
    Ravener x 3: Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Devourer
    Carnifex: Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin; Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon
    Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Bonded Exoskeleton, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin, Spine Banks, Crushing Claws; Scything Talons
    Zoanthrope [A] [C]: Synapse Creature, Warp Blast

niddeployment.jpg

My opponent won the dice off, but gave me first turn (sensible, since the only thing I could do was throw myself at him).

Tyranid 1:
    Movement:

Everything advanced, with the Gargoyles sneaking off behind the Cemetery to work their way around and nail Warriors when they were worrying about bigger things. This plan might’ve worked better, if I hadn’t forgotten that Gargoyles are Jump Infantry, and get to move 12 inches, instead of 6. With the exception of my gargoyles, my army was divided so that all the shooty was going down the right side, while all the stabby was heading down the left.
    Shooting:
    I rolled pretty well on my Fleet rolls, but the shooty 'fex and Zoanthrope [C], firing at Immortals[A] failed to accomplish anything. The Necron player didn’t even need to roll armor saves.

nidturn1.jpg

Necron 1:
    Movement:

Both sets of scarabs came up the middle, Scarab[A] hopping up on the middle hill and heading for the back of my lines (bizarrely stopping about six inches from my assault ‘fex), while Scarab stretched out between the cemetery and the hill, forming a tar pit to slow up my assault forces and hopefully leave them staring down all the gunlines once the combat finished. The heavy destroyers all hopped up on the rearmost hill for better LOS. Immortals[A] formed into a better firing line.
    Shooting:
    Warrior[A] killed 5 Hormagaunts. The heavy destroyers managed to put one wound on the Hive Tyrant. Warriors killed one Genestealer. Immortals[A] wiped out the entire Genestealer squad, while Immortals took down one Ravenor.

Tyranid 2:
    Movement:

I was counting on the number of targets presented to help buff the survivability of my troops, as well as having more shots used up on the bigger, tougher targets. That plan certainly failed in regards to my genestealers. With the stealers wiped out, I was hoping to get everyone else through that open kill zone as quick as I could.
    Shooting:
    Once more, I rolled well on the fleet moves. Zoanthropes&[C] were now in range of Immortals[A], and they managed to knock down one, with the Carnifex’s Barbed Strangler taking out two more.
    Assault:

nidturn2.jpg

The Hive Tyrant charged into Scarabs, smashing three bases, and taking one wound in return, while the accompanying Hormagaunts accounted for 2 more bases. The surviving two Ravenors made it into CC with Immortals, taking one 1 wound, and rending 1 Immortal.

nid2assualt.jpg

Necron 2:

1 Immortal got back up. The Lord teleported Immortal out of combat with the Ravenors (I realized how clever the set up was then, because almost the entire army was within six inches of the Lord at the start), reappearing in the back of my table quarter, leaving me with the unsavory prospect of six Gauss Blasters and a Staff of Light coming at the rear of my forces.
    Movement:
    Warriors jumped the wall, moving up to get my gaunts and ravenors into rapid-fire range. Immortals[A] formed a circle around the perimeter of the hill in order to make assault more difficult. Warriors[A] advanced on where Ravenors were standing around with a grasping limb up their anal orifice, bringing them into rapid-fire range. Both Heavy Destroyer units advanced back towards the spaceship wreckage.
    Shooting:
    Despite the volume of fire, Warriors only managed to inflict 3 wounds on the raverors, killing one, and leaving the last at one wound. Warriors[A] on the other hand, tore Ravenors[A] apart, wiping out all three. Immortals [A] put the last wound on the remaining Ravenor. Immortals and the Lord failed to hurt Zoanthrope[A], but the Heavy Destroyers managed to take three wounds off the shooty 'fex.
    Assault:
    The whacky 'fex and Tyrant finished stomping the scarabs into welding solder, with the ‘fex lumbering back towards where Immortals reappeared, the Hormagaunts heading towards Immortals[A] while the Flyrant advanced upon Warriors[A].

Tyranid 3:
    Movement:

Once more, everything I have goes scurrying forward.
    Shooting:
    The Gargoyles, still puttering along at a 6’, keep getting 2s on their fleet rolls as they change course to come through the graveyard. The Gaunts manage to knock down one Warrior. This is the only time all game that I remember to use my “Livng Ammunition” reroll. Zoanthropes&[C] along with the shooty 'fex turn around to shoot at Immortals and miss badly with everything, save the Barbed Strangler, which, in a surge of 5s and 6s, wounded the entire squad plus Lord. The dice surge continued unabated, with the Necrons then making all of their armor saves.
    Assault:
    The Gaunts charge into assault and knock down three Warriors, while the Flyrant tears into Warriors, killing three outright. The hormagaunts throw themselves up the hill against Immortals[A], inflicting one casualty.

nid3assault.jpg

Necron 3:

1 Immortal [A] and two Warriors [A] made their We’ll Be Back roll and stood up. Realizing that he might not be so lucky next time, the Lord teleported himself and Immortals the heck out of Dodge, attempting to reappear near the graveyard to ambush my Gargoyles. Fortunately, a 8 inch scatter back the way they came takes them out of range of the Gargoyles, and right back into range of the shooty 'fex and Zoanthropes&[C].

necron3.jpg

Movement:

The Heavy Destroyers advance-
    Shooting:
    -and annihilate Zoanthrope . The Lord and Immortals took some potshots at the whacky 'fex, but accomplished nothing.
    Assault:
    The Hive Tyrant took down three more warriors, but they held fast and the battle dragged on. The Gaunts failed to wound Warriors, but suffered one casualty. With Zoanthrope dead, they were out of synapse range, and so broke, falling back towards Zoanthrope[A], leaving them right out in the open in front of the Heavy Destroyers.

Tyranid 4:
    Movement:

I finally remembered that Gargoyles move 12”, so they finally made some progress, ripping through the graveyard and coming up behind Immortals.
    Shooting:
    The Gargoyles fleeted forward. Having fled back into the Synapse range of Zoanthrope[A], the Gaunts turned around, and opened fire on Heavy Destroyers[A] knocking down two of them. Zonathrope[A], finally getting its act together, blew away the third.
    Assault:
    The Gargoyles descend upon Immortals and the Lord, with whacky 'fex crashing in on the other side. The Gargoyles knocked down one, and taking three wounds in the process. Whacky 'fex tears three Immortals into scrap. The Necrons whiff their Leadership roll to stay in combat, whiff their Initiative roll to flee, and are turned into decorative ash trays by Stabby’s single attached crushing claw. The Lord becomes a nice spittoon. The ‘fex starts heading towards where Warriors are causing trouble, while the Gargoyles head towards Immortals[A] The Hive Tyrant kills two more Warriors, they fail their leadership roll, break, and the much faster Flyrant begins work on a new line of art deco codpieces, then moves towards Heavy Destroyers. Victory through phase out seems quite likely at this point.

Necron 4:
    The remaining two Heavy Destroyers in [A] fail their WBB roll.
    Movement:
    Heavy Destroyer falls back towards the hill in the corner, getting a line of fire on the Flyrant. Warriors finishes ranking up behind the wall and waits for the gaunt’s counterattack.
    Shooting:
    The heavy destroyers manage to take The Tyrant down to one wound. Warriors kills five more Gaunts. Immortals[A] wipe out the Hormogaunts suffering no casualties.

nidassault4.jpg

Tyranid 5:
    Movement:

Shooty 'fex takes up a nice shooting position on top of the central hill. Whacky 'fex keeps on trucking towards the remaining Warriors. The Flyrant stops an inch away from the heavy destroyers.
    Shooting:
    Shooty 'fex managed to rip apart two Immortals with its Barbed Strangler and obliterated one more with it’s venom cannon. Gaunt shooting took down one more Warrior.
    Assault:
    The heavily wounded Flying Tyrant charged the Heavy Destroyers, killing one, then running down the other when it broke from combat. The Gaunts leapt back over the wall, pulling down three Warriors.

Necron 5:
    Two warriors and two Immortals stood back up.
    Assault:
    1 Warrior, and 2 Gaunts went down in the subsequent fracas.

Tyranid 6:
    Movement:

The Hive Tyrant bears down on the Immortals, whacky 'fex got into charge range of where the Warriors were making a mess of my gaunts. Shooty 'fex lumbered towards the Immortals, preparing to lend its talons to the fray.
    Assault:
    At this point, time out is called, and both sides pause for tea and mochi, as everybody either whiffs, or makes their save in this turn of combat. No casualties to either side.

Necron 6:
    Assault:

The Immortals slaughter the rest of the Gargoyles, losing two of their own in return. Three Gaunts trade their lives for two Warriors, and the game grinds to a close with 9 Necrons still on their feet. Unfortunately, since Phase Out is calculated at the start of the Necron turn, and there isn’t a turn 7, outright victory slips through my grasping talons.

final.jpg

All occupied quarters are contested, and so don’t count towards victory. When victory points were tallied up, due to my inability to adequately whittle down that last expensive Immortals squad, he ended up leading me by about a hundred points, and so the game concluded in a draw. Things might’ve been different had all three of my monstrous creatures not gone off to play ‘hide the pseudopod’ in turn six.

Closing comments:
    I really enjoyed the way my Flying Tyrant just completely ripped the pants off of everything that crossed it’s path, and when combined with a trailing unit of Hormogaunts is real nasty when thrown against anything not geared up for close combat. I’m disappointed that being Alpha level, I didn’t get to be more creative with my setup, deep striking in the Gargoyles, and Infiltrating the Ravenors. This meant that I started the game with all my units hugging the edges of my deployment quarter, and my first phases were a headlong rush, trying to get my units into contact without getting shot to pieces. In hindsight, I probably should’ve tried to screen my genestealers behind my gaunts, giving the cheaper, more numerous unit a chance to soak up casualties. The ravenors would’ve been better off if I’d remembered that they had a 12” charge range, but as with the Gargoyles movement, I had them pegged at 6”. Still, for my first game with the ‘nids, and a very different play style than my usual IG and Necron armies, I think I did pretty well.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    03-06

Necrons vs Blood Angels:1500 points
    Secure and Control
    Gamma

Risen of Aurchist
    The Nightbringer
    13 Warriors
    12 Warriors
    5 Immortals
    4 Destroyers
    10 Scarab Swarms
    1 Monolith (deep striking)

Blood Angels
    Death Company: Chaplain, 8 Marines (1 from Tac Beta, 1 from Scouts)
    Scouts: 9 Marines
    Assault Marines: 2x Flamers, Melta Bombs, Sarge w/ Plasma Pistol
    Terminators: 5 (deep striking), 2 Assualt Cannons
    Tactical Squad Alpha: 6 Marines, Razorback, Las/Plas
    Tactical Squad Beta: 9 Marines, Sarge w Power Weapon and Plasma Pistol
    Predator w/Lascannons
    Nearly everyone unit was deployed out of sight clustered on the left side of the board, with the exception of Tac Beta, who started on the right side in a position to make a move on one of the loot markers.
    BAstart.jpg
    I put the Nightbringer out in the open, confident that he could take anything thrown his way in the first turn, and putting him as far forward as I could get him, so that he could get into combat ASAP.
    necronstart.jpg
    The Blood Angels got turn one.

Blood Angels 1:
    Movement:

No one Black Rages. Assault Marines, Tac Alpha, Death Company, and Tac Beta all advance. The Scouts take up a better shooting position in the ruins they infiltrated in.
    Shooting: The Razorback takes a potshot at the Nightbringer.

Necron 1:
    Movement:

The Scarabs turbo across the board to try and jump Tac Beta when they reach the loot counter. The Nightbringer, Immortals, and Destroyers break from cover and advance, the Warriors bringing up the rear.
    Shooting: The Nightbringer kills one of the Assault Marines, the Immortals taking down four more. The Destroyers shake the Razorback twice.

Blood Angels 2
    Movement:
    The Terminators Deep Strike in, right by my Destroyers, everything else advances in their general direction, save the Scouts, who sit tight, and Tac Beta, who move towards the loot counter and my Scarabs.
    Shooting:
    Between them, the Predator and the Assault Marines manage to kill two Destroyers. The Terminators kill two members of Warriors Alpha.
    Assault:
    The Assault Marines annihilate the last two Destroyers.

Necron 2:
    Movement:
    My Monolith Deep Strikes in, right in the middle of all those nicely arranged Blood Angels. All my forces advance (except for the Scarabs, who I forget about). The Nightbringer walks through a building, getting well within charge distance of the Assault Marines.
    necron2ndturn.jpg
    Shooting:
    The Nightbringer fries an Assault Marine. Rapid-fire from Warriors Alpha slays a Terminator. The Immortals detonate the Razorback with three glances, and one penetrating shot. The Monoliths’ Gauss Flux Arc kills one Termie, one Assault Marine, and four scouts. Particle whipping kills one more termie. The termies break, and run off the board. The Assualt Marines break, and make it within an inch of the edge.

Blood Angels 3:
    Movement:

Since Warriors Alpha are too close, the Assualt Marines don’t regroup, and run off the board. The Death Company Advances, Tac Beta stays on top of the objective. Tac Alpha sits tight on top of its objective, pulling back a bit to make sure it stays out of the Monolith’s firing arc.
    BAthirdturn.jpg
    Shooting:
    Tac Beta kills three scarabs. The Death Company manages to drop one Immortal from shooting. The Predator kills a member of Warriors Alpha.
    Assault: Death Company hits my Immortals and wipes them out.

Necrons 3:
    Movement:

Warriors Alpha moves up to try and rapid fire on the Predator. Warriors Beta advance to engage the Death Company. Remembering the Scarabs, I advance them to make trouble for Tac Beta. The Nightbringer wub-wubs his way through terrain towards where my Immortals used to be.
    Shooting:
    The Monolith’s Gauss Arc kills one scout, and three Death Company marines (having scored six hits). The Particle whip lands square on the Death Chaplains head, and a couple of ones later, he keels over, along with one other Death Company marine. The Nightbringer fries another DCM.
    Assault:
    The Nightbringer charges the remnant of the Death Company, and six attacks later, the last two are neatly torn into bite sized chunks.
    Bereft of time, that’s where the game ends. I control one counter, while the Blood Angels have control of two.
    bringer.jpg
    BAEnd.jpg
    Victory points come out to 1477 v 1340, leaving me just 14 points shy of a solid victory. Considering that he had 500 more Victory Points than I did for controlling two counters, I’d say that’s pretty good.

I think I’m getting better at pulling a refused flank on the setup, because in this game I had my entire army coming in against one flank of his, allowing me to focus quite a bit of firepower in one place at a time. Getting my Monolith on turn 2 was pretty lucky, and the fact that he had so many of his units in that one section of the board meant that I got to use it to maximum effect. It was very interesting to play without a Lord there to teleport my troops around the board, and definitely had me having to play a different tactical game. I only get to game one day a month, and I’ve never had a chance to use my Nightbringer before, and really wanted him in this game. It meant dropping my Lord, and half the Immortals, but I think it worked out pretty well. If the game had continued, over the next three turns, Warriors Alpha probably would’ve wiped out the Scouts. I would’ve sent the Nightbringer to take care of Tac Alpha where it was hiding in the ruins, and I would’ve had the Monolith harass it as it drifted across the board towards Tac Beta.
    Just for kicks, here's what the room we played in looked like after we put everthing back:
    after.jpg
    This one is kind of embarassing to look back on, given some of the mistakes I made while playing, such as firing the Gauss flayers, and the particle whip in the same turn.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    03-06
    Necrons vs Unlimited Marines: 750 points.
    Unlimited Marines:
    Master w/ Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Aritficer Armor, Iron Halo
    Tactical Squad Alpha: 9 Marines and a Sarge w/ Power fist
    Tactical Squad Beta: 4 Marines and a Sarge w/Bolt Pistol + CCW
    Assault Marines: 7 Marines, 1 Flamer 1 Plasma Pistol
    Devastator Squad: 3 Missile Launchers, 1 Lascannon, 2 marines and the Sarge w/bolters.

Risen of Auchrist

1 Lord w/Staff of Light; Veil of Darkness
    10 Warriors (alpha)
    10 Warriors (beta)
    4 Destroyers
    3 Scarab Swarms

Mission: Gamma Cleanse

I once again found myself facing off against the Unlimited Marines, this time in a 750 cleanse mission. Setup was conservative, with both of us placing most of our units out of sight, midway through our quarters.

I found solid cover a little scarce on my side, and tucked the Lord and Warriors Alpha behind a building deep in my corner, clearly telegraphing that they would quickly be getting up to teleporting hijinks. He put the Devastators in the ruins near the center of the table, giving him a commanding view of the battlefield, but also allowing me to put my Scarabs exactly 18 inches away, guaranteeing a first turn charge. I won the roll and chose to go first.

deployment.jpg
    umdeployment.jpg

Necron 1:
    Movement:

The Scarabs scurried towards the Devastators. The Destroyers skirted to the right, getting a bead on Tac Alpha, whom the Master was attached to. Warriors Beta break cover, and attempt to close to rapid-fire range on the Devastators. Warriors Alpha and the Lord teleport, and due to bad scatter, land much closer to Tac Alpha than I’d wanted.
    teleportin.jpg
    Shooting:
    The Destroyers manage to drop one marine from Tac Alpha, as does the Lord with his Staff of Light. Warriors Alpha manage to take down three. Tac Alpha then gets boxcars on it’s morale check, and falls back 6 inches.
    Assault:
    Scarabs charge the Devastator squad, but don’t accomplish anything other than tying them up.

Marines 1:
    Movement:

The Assault Marines, Tac Alpha, and Beta all advance towards my Lord and Warriors.
    Shooting:
    Obviously shaken by the barrage and sudden appearance of enemies in their midst, marine shooting fails to accomplish anything.
    unlimitedshooting1.jpg
    Assualt:
    Tac Beta charges in first, and manages to knock down two Warriors. The Assault Marines score seventeen hits, five wounds, and I fail two saves. The Master inflicts one wound, and smart casualty removal has left the Sarge with the fist unable to attack. However, then I rolled boxcars on the morale check, and my Warriors and Lord get run down. Suckage at maximum.
    unlimtedassualt1.jpg
    The squads try and consolidate out of sight from my Destoyers.
    The Devastators finish off one scarab base, who do nothing in return.

Necron 2:
    Movement:

The Destroyers angle up to get a shot at the Assualt Squad. Warriors Beta advance towards the Devastators. I’m hoping that my Scarabs will die during his assualt phase, so that I can shoot the pants of the Devastators with Warriors Beta.
    Shooting:
    The Destroyers take down two Assault Marines.
    Assualt:
    The Scarabs finally kill a marine, and take two wounds in return.

Marines 2:
    Movement:

Now everyone starts heading towards my Destroyers. Shooting fails to hurt anything.
    Assault:
    My Destroyers are within range of the Assualt Marines by a quarter of an inch. They fail to kill the only Destroyer in contact, preventing me from trying to break away and get the hell out of dodge, and everyone piles in.
    Necron4.jpg
    The Devastators roll really well, and finish off the Scarabs.
    Necrons 3:
    Movement:

The Warriors head towards the Devastators, trying really hard to get within assault range (and fail).
    Shooting:
    Warriors Beta kill one Devastator, and brace for a rain of missiles and las blasts.
    Assault:
    One Destroyer goes down.

Marines 3:
    Movement:

Both Tac squads move towards the Destroyers.
    Shooting: The Devastators open up with everything they’ve got on my exposed Warriors, and in one of the worse spates of rolling I’ve ever seen, fail to get a single hit.
    Assault:
    The Destroyers take one more casualty, and boxcar the morale check, roll a one for distance, and get run down.

Necrons 4:
    Movement:

Warriors get a five on their difficult terrain check, and move into the ruins, getting out of sight of the Devastators, and shoot Tac Beta through a window.
    necron5.jpg
    Shooting: No casualties inflicted.

Marines 4:
    Movement:

All marines head towards the ruins my Warriors are lurking in. The Devastators drop down to the second floor, getting within vertical charge range.
    Shooting:
    Assault Marine flamers knock down 2 Warriors. Rapid fire shooting from Tac Alpha and Beta knock down four more.
    Assault:
    The Devastators reach the first floor, one marine getting himself cacked by the ‘crons.

Necrons 5:

3 Warriors make their WBB roll. Phase out will occur after two more casualties.
    Movement:
    You’re kidding, right?
    Shooting:
    Ha-ha, no.
    Assault:
    Warriors drop one more Marine, who break and get run down, leaving my Warriors hanging in the breeze before the rest of the SM army.

Marines 5:
    Movement:

The Marines line up the side of the building, so that they all can shoot the tin bitz off my Warriors.
    Shooting:
    Bolt pistol fire from the Assault Marines knocks down one more Warrior, the flamer does nothing, while the marine with the plasma pistol cooks himself. The Master manages to kill one more Warrior with his plasma pistol, leaving me at the Phase Out number.

Necrons 6:

WBB brings me back to one Warrior above Phase Out.
    Movement:
    I get a six on my difficult terrain test, letting the Warriors make it up to the roof, leaving them probably out of charge range of everything except the Assault Marines.
    necron6start.jpg
    Shooting:
    Gauss fire inflicts one casualty on the Assault Marines, sending them running.
    necron6.jpg

Marines 6:
    The Commander manages to kill one more Warrior with plasma. The game ends with me contesting one quarter, the same quarter where every unit remaining in the game happens to be (save the Assault Marines, who are both below half strength and falling back, and doubly don’t count). However, with the victory points he’d gained from kills, it was a crushing defeat for me.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    02-06
    Necrons vs Space Marines: 1500 points

Mission: Recon-Gamma. 1500 points. Rolled for Dawn/Dusk, and got dusk, then forgot about it. It probably didn't matter, since there was only one unit shooting in the last round, and it was from rapid fire range. Everything else was assault.

My oppenent's list is just out of memory. It was an Ultramarines successor called the 'Unlimited Marines,' and had a wicked Purple and Silver paint scheme.

1 Master
    4 Command Squad

1 Librarian
    4 Command Squad

1 Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon; Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter

7 Tactical Squad (Alpha)
    1 Sergeant

7 Tactical Squad (Beta)
    1 Sergeant

7 Scout Squad
    1 Sergeant

9 Assault Squad
    1 Sergeant

7 Devastator Squad
    1 Sergeant

There was also a Chaplain in with the Tac Beta, but I'm not familiar enough with how they work to tell you how he got there.

Risen of Auchrist (Necrons [Me])
    1 Lord
    WarScythe; Resurrection Orb; Veil of Darkness

10 Immortals
    Gauss Blaster

10 Warriors (Alpha)
    Gauss Flayer

10 Warriors (Beta)
    Gauss Flayer

10 Scarab Swarms

4 Destroyers
    Gauss Cannon

2 Wraiths
    Claws

1 Monolith
    Gauss Flux Arc; Particle Whip; Power Matrix
    1 Power Matrix @ Ύ] Pts

Here is a picture of my Monolith. It is very shiney.
    monolith.jpg

I lost my pen, and so didn't write this report as it happened, and am reconstructing it based on memory.

Deployment was on a scenario heavy table. Remembering what happened my last game, I deployed my Monolith out of sight behind a building. In fact, that building was were just about all of my forces ended up huddling, as I pulled a refused flank, leaving another ruined building and several patches of debris shielding my forces from the bulk of his. He had tactical squad Alpha all by it's lonesome on the left side of the aforementioned building, and the Devastator Squad positioned on it's second floor, with a commanding view of the battlefield. All the ruins were difficult terrain, so anything that wanted to assault the Devastators would have to get into the building, then make a 6 on their terrain check, if they wanted to make it the five and a half inches up to the second floor. Or so he thought.

His scout squad infiltrated into the ruins in the center of the table.

I got first turn.

Necrons Turn 1: I turbo boosted my Wraiths and my scarabs out of the building they'd been lurking in, and into the area terrain ruins to the left of the building where the Devastator squad was holed up. My opponent expressed surprise, as 12 models suddenly crowded a formerly vacant corner on his side of the table. I then teleported the Lord and Immortals, dropping them dead on behind Tac Alpha (the building was narrow enough that reinforcements could've gotten around it in about a turn, so it must not've seemed so isolated, before all my buddies showed up). The rest of my forces advanced around the corner of the ruins they'd been sheltering behind, keeping themselves shielded from the rest of the Marines, save for Warriors Beta, which broke left, to make it difficult for those scouts if they tried to sneak into my deployment zone. I lined up the Destroyers for a shot on the Devastator squad, but then changed my mind in the shooting phase, and had them go after the tac squad. After taking fire from my Immortals and Destroyers, Tac Alpha was down to 2 models, which broke and ran.

Marines Turn 1: The squads on the other side of the building beat feet to try and get to my Lord and Immortals, but couldn't quite make it, and only a few members of the Assault Marines were able to get LoS past the corner of the building. Between them and the Devastator Squad firing out of holes in the walls, four Immortals were knocked down (and only one got back up later). The two fleeing marines regrouped and came back for more.
    =====================
    Necron Turn 2: Deciding to bow out of the Marine's promised fracas, Lord teleported out of there. An icky scatter roll almost carried him into terrain, but he and all the remaining Immortals made it safely. They then shot the pants off those last two marines. The Monolith ponderously lumbered forward, and I realized what a mistake I'd made by not deep-striking it. It might not be in any danger, but I realized it was too far back to be of use to my engaged troops, or put its weapons into play until late in the game.

The Destroyers fired at the Devastator Squad, to murderous effect.

The Assault phase worked just like I hoped it would. 12 inches was more than enough to get both my Scarabs, and my Wraiths into the building, and since neither was subjected to difficult terrain checks, they had no problem bum rushing the second floor and the Devastator Squad. My opponent was betrayed by his dice, and between the two units, the Devastator Squad was slaughtered. Getting a 6 on the consolidate roll, my scarabs retreated to the first floor. Only getting a four, my Wraiths chilled on the second. I declared this building to be the Necron House, and ended my turn.

Here is the scene just before the last two marines gets pantsed. You can see my Wraiths and Scarabs in the foreground, the cluster of Immortals right in front of the Destroyers, Warriors Alpha behind them, the 'lith peaking out from behind the building, and Warriors Beta off on the very right.
    aftermath.jpg

Marines Turn 2: Unfortunately, the second floor was missing almost the entire side wall facing out over the Unlimited Marines' forces, leaving my Wraiths wide open to their nougat filled vengeance, Everything else he had on the board marched towards the building, and blew my Wraiths from here to Jigoku and back again. Only the Assault marines were in a position to attack my Scarabs, and although a flamer was used to good effect, getting a +1 to my cover save rendered the bolt pistols ineffective. Deciding that even with WS 2, assaulting my scarabs in cover would be too much of a risk, he refrained from Assault.
    =====================
    Necron Turn 3: I decided that things were getting a little too hot and told me opponent if he wanted the building so bad, he could have it. I then turbo boosted my scarabs back into the ruins they'd come from (and shortly realized that this was a bad idea; I'd intended to have them in my opponent’s deployment zone for scoring purposes, but Scarabs aren't worth that much, and they would've been put to much better use using their ability to zip through dangerous terrain to assault those pesky scouts).

I positioned the Destroyers to start shooting up the Assault Squad. Although that left them in charge range, I didn't fear reprisal, since to charge them would've put them right in the line of fire of one of warrior squads, and I would've pulled the Destroyers out of combat with the Monolith.

The massed firepower of the rest of the marines was worrying me, especially that Donkey Cannon dreadnaught, and I decided to take a big risk, teleporting my Lord and Immortals in behind it, shooting it up, and then hopefully living long enough to teleport back out again. My dice failed me spectacularly on the scatter. My Lord survived, barely, but I lost five out of six Immortals. I made the best of what I had, plinked at the Dreadnaught, then charged. My Warscythe came through, getting a 15 on the penetrate roll, and a 5 on the Penetration table. I got a six on my consolidate move, which let me move my Lord into BtB with the Unlimited Marines Commander, which at least saved me from being the target of vast amounts of shooty wrath.

The scouts had one model within range of my Particle Whip, but I maxed on the scatter roll, missing the entire unit by a good six inches.

Marines Turn 3: No shooting this turn. The Assault marines skulked around, sneaking towards my side, as I'd predicted. Tac Beta cut around the back of the house of carnage.

In the Assault phase, the Master would not stop rolling sixes, and my Lord got wasted before he could do anything. My Immortal managed to hold on though.
    =====================
    Necrons Turn 4: I advanced Warriors Alpha into the terrain where the Scarabs were chilling, intending to have them in the deployment zone as well. Warriors Beta moved to intercept the scouts, as they were getting ready to rush by edge of the table. My Destroyers fell back, and shot at the Scouts, to minimal effect.

During my assault phase, my last Immortal got squished, bad.

Marines Turn 4: Once again, no shooting. Tac beta had no LoS to my Warriors or Scarabs in the ruins. The rest of his army was on the far side of the board, with a great deal of terrain between him and me, and advanced without being able to see anything. Tac Beta cleared the side of the building and advanced in maximum coherency distance to minimize the particle whips my opponent knew was coming.
    =====================
    Nercron Turn 5: Getting a 6 on my difficult terrain test, I moved the warriors out of cover to confront the Tac squad.

The Monolith dropped a particle whip on the tac squad, scoring a solid hit, and subjecting the Power Fist sarge to an AP 1 Instant kill hit. There was now nothing left in his army that could hurt my Monolith. Too bad it wasn't in any position to capitalize on that.

Warriors Alpha rapid fired on the tac squad next, bringing it down to about half strength. Warriors Beta advanced and rapid fired on the scouts, taking down all but two.

My Destroyers drifted a bit, and fired at the assault squad, bringing it down to half. I blundered though, because not only were they within assault range, but that assault would also leave the marines in my deployment zone.

Space Marines Turn 5: Tac Beta advanced, and then assaulted my foolishly too close Warriors, but only inflicted one casualty (who stood up again the next turn). The assault marines fired on my Destroyers, knocking down one, then charged, knocking down two more in the subsequent assault. The last one made his morale check, despite being outnumbered 5-1, and all three got back up next turn. The scouts regrouped and shot at Warriors Beta, but did nothing.
    =====================
    Necrons Turn 6: I teleported Warriors Alpha out of close combat, and then rapid fired the tac squad, but did nothing. The Gauss Flux Arc fizzed and sputtered at the tac squad, killing one marine. My other warriors killed the last two scouts. My Destroyers did nothing in close combat, and suffered one casualty.

Space Marines Turn 6: The tac squad shot up by warriors, but overall did very little. The master and his retinue continued their advance across the board, but were too far out to get anything done. The Assault Marines inflicted two more casualties on my Destroyers, but once more the last one held, and the game drew to a close.

In the end, my opponent won by 176 points, giving him a solid victory. At least this time I didn't even come close to phasing out. Comments, crticisms, cookies?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    01-06
    Necrons vs Blood Angels: 1500 points

This was the very first game in which I've used Necrons in anything beyond theory hammer. It was a learning experince. I was trying to take adequate notes, but especialy at the end when things were getting hairy, it started slipping my mind. My oppenent also gave me a more thorough breakdown of his units, but by the time I got to a place I could sit down and write, they'd slipped my mind. Sorry about that Morticon, let me know if I made any serious errors.
    Necrons:
    1 Lord Staff of Light; Resurrection Orb; Veil of Darkness
    10 Warriors Alpha
    10 Warriors Beta
    4 Destroyers
    2 Wraiths
    6 Scarab Swarms
    -Disruption Field
    6 Immortals Alpha
    6 Immortals Beta
    1 Monolith
    1509 Points

Blood Angels:

Death Company 10 strong, lead by Chaplain with Death Mask
    Librarian
    8 Devastator Squad Alpha w/Heavy Bolters
    6 Devastator Squad Beta w MLs (lost two to the Death Company)
    6 Tac Squad Alpha (lost two to Death Company, and because of poor loot counter placement on my part, right on top of one of the counters)
    7 Tac Squad Beta (lost one to death company)
    8 Tac Squad Gamma

The game was Secure and Control, Omega, with 3 Loot Counters, I won the dice off for to go first.

There was a good amount of cover providing terrain, along with two area terrain forests. All units from both sides set up behind cover of one sort or another.

Turn 1: Necron - My forces advance towards the objectives. My Lord, along with Immortals Alpha teleport in next to Tactical Squad Alpha (the guys standing right next to the loot counter) and open fire, leaving just the sergeant, and the guy with the lascannon still standing. This was the start of my run of incredible scatter rolls. I hit dead on about two thirds of the time for the next two games.

Turn 1: Blood Angels: Tac squad Gamma rages forward one inch. Devastator Squad Alpha fires on my Lord and Immortals, causing one wound. The remnants of Tac Alpha charge, and inflict two more wounds on the Immortals. The rest of the Angels sit more or less tight.
    Turn 2: Necrons - 2 Immortals stand back up. Destroyers and Wraiths come onto the board. My forces all break cover and start advancing on the objectives. I teleport the Lord and Immortals Alpha out of CC, dropping them back in a little more than 12 inches away from Tac Alpha. They manage to kill the Lascannon marine, leaving the Sargeant all by his lonesome. He breaks and runs for the board edge for a turn.

My Destroyers advance 12 inches, and get a clear shot at Tactical Squad Gamma, killing three, but they stand fast.

Turn 2: Blood Angels - The Death Company and Assualt Marines both Deep Strike in, managing to come down almost on top of Immortals Beta, and Warriors Alpha (If the Death Company scatter had been just a bit worse, they would've come down right on top of my Immortals, and that would've sure made me happy). Tactical Squad Gamma fired at Immortals Alpha, knocking down two. The Death Company fires at the Immortals right in front of them (Beta), but fails to do anything. Devastator Beta fires on Warriors Beta, knocking down three.
    Turn 3: Necrons - 2 Immortals, and 2 Warriors fail their WBB rolls. Scarabs deepstrike on (losing one base by getting to close to Tac squad Beta). I deepstrike the Monolith near Devastator Squad Alpha, scattering onto them and pushing them out of the way to make room for the big hunk of shiney.

The Warriors and Immortals near the Assault Marines and Death Company fall back, while the Destroyers move forward to get a shot at the DC, but fail to inflict casualties. The Warriors and Immortals shoot at the Assualt Marines, killing all but 2.

The Monolith Gauss Fluxes the lone sarge, and inflicts a couple of casualties on Devastator Alpha.

Turn 3: Blood Angels - Devastator Alpha rages at my Monolith, and scuffs up the finish a little. The Librarian finally arrives, sending a Fury of the Ancients winging across the board to ping Warriors Beta with one wound, and moves to engage my Lord and Immortals Alpha in assualt, failing to do much of anything.

The Death Company advances on Warriors Alpha, and Immortals Beta. The Last two Assault Marines advance on the Destroyers. I realize that I have made a very terrible tactical mistake.

Tac Squad Beta takes a few pot shots at the Scarabs, causing one wound. Then it charges, and four bases are completly wiped out by four instant killing power fist wounds. Ouch.

In assault, the Immortals are chewed up by the Death Company, who get a few hits in on the Warriors as well.. The Destroyers take a casualty from the two Assault Marines, and then on a terrible Leadership check, break and flee off the board. The Warriors(Alpha) are left standing around looking dumb.

I'd been sneaking my Wraiths around to give them a shot at grabbing one of the objectives, but since I'd been forgetting to use the 24 inch turbo boost, I left them in a spot to get assualted by Tac Squad Gamma. They held up their own end decently, and managed to not die.
    Turn 4: Necrons - 3 Warriors make they're WBB rolls, and close combat continues. I realize that with my Lord and Monolith both chilling on the far side of the board, more than 1/4 of my force has been doomed to messy annhilation.

The Lord and Immortals Alpha teleport a short distance away, and shoot the pants off the Librarian.

The Monolith drops a Particle Whip on Devastator Alpha, doing not much of anything.

Warriors Beta charge in to give the Wraiths a hand, since they can either walk out of cover and be shot, or wait for the Wraiths to die, and then be counter-charged. They inflict no casualties.

The scarabs die ignomiously.

Turn 4: Blood Angels: The Death Company wipes out Warriors Alpha, and then rages a mighty inch.

The Warriors engaged with Tac Gamma take two casualties, lose combat, and then run.
    Turn 5: Necrons All my WBB rolls fail, and I fall below phase out. The sound of WubWubWubWubWub fills the air, and the necrons go home.

Well, thise was my very first game with the Necrons, and I'd say it didn't go as bad as it could. The big mistakes I made was throwing my Lord, and Monolith in the same place way across the board from everything else. It was certainly intimidating dropping the 'lith right where he had most of his guys hanging around, and it drew all the ML fire away from my infantry, but it didn't get much done, and when I really needed it to be saving my bacon from CC, they were both way out of range. I spread my forces out too much at deployment, making it hard to bring much to bear at any given time.

I also underestimated how fast the DC and Assualt Marines would advance, leaving more than 1/4 of my army to be caught up and pounded. If I'd realized how hard it was to put down Death Company Marines, I would've had my Destroyers finish killing off the Assualt marines instead.

Interesting note: My dice roll better when I stand on one leg, and cast the dice in a full arm across the body motion, while singing 'You Are My Sunshine.' Especially when making WBB rolls.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Y'all got evil space robots coming out of your ears yet?
    Necrons vs Eldar: 750

This was my second game using Necrons, and this time I found myself up against the Eldar.
    Necrons:
    Lord w/ Ressurection Orb, Veil of Darkness
    10 Warriors (Alpha)
    10 Warriors (Beta)
    4 Destroyers
    760 points.

Eldar: (it slipped my mind to actually count how many models there were total for the units...)
    Farseer
    Wraithlord
    Dark Reapers (five or six)
    Swooping Hawks
    Striking Scorpions

Mission was Gamma Recon. We used pretty much the same board setup as my first game (lots of 4 and 5+ cover, with two obscuring area terrain forests). The Eldar player won first turn, and things commenced.

Turn 1: Eldar - The Scorpions and Hawks deployed behind a wall clustered around the Wraithlord. The Reapers and Farseer deployed behind another wall to their left. The Reapers knock down three warriors, and the Wraithlord strolls out and uses a Starcannon to knock out on Destroyer.

Turn 1: Necron - One Warrior stands back up. Feeling gutsy, I teleported the Lord and Warriors Alpha in nearby the Wraithlord (another hit on the scatter die) and lay into it with Gaussy fury, inflicting two wounds.

The Destroyers advance to get a clean shot at the Wraithlord, and then fail to scratch it.

Warriors Beta sensibly take cover behind one of the forests so that the Dark Reapers don't kill any more of them.
    Turn 2: Eldar - The Wraithlord, Swooping Hawks, and Scorpions move in to beat the tar out of the Lord and Warriors, now just swinging in the breeze. The Wraithlord inflicts a wound. The Hawks pile into assualt, and then the Scorpions, and something like 40 attacks later, my Warriors(alpha) take two wounds.

The Dark Reapers annhilate my Destroyer squad, making me a very sad panda. 200 points go kablooie without doing anything. Should've been a bit more careful with the cover.

Turn 2: Necron - All three Warriors who fell down stand back up. The Lord decides that this party sucks, and teleports himself and Warriors Alpha over to where the Farseer and Dark Reapers are hanging out to see what they're up to, just barely avoiding scattering onto the Dark Reapers. They then shoot the hell out of the Reapers, leaving just two standing..
    Turn 3: Eldar - The Farseer attempts to Mind War my Lord, but manages to cook his own brain instead, taking one wound. The Reapers knock down two warriors. Deprived of their previous fun, the Hawks move towards Warriors Beta, pulling them into assualt. The Scorpions mill around the Wraith Lord. The following assaults are very silly, as the Farseer charged into the Warriors and Lord, armed, apprently, with a wiffle bat, while the Hawks and Warriors Beta managed to inflict one casualty each.

Turn 3: Necron. The two warriors the Reapers knocked down stand back up. No shooting or moving this turn. All my forces are locked in CC, and I realize that it's all that's saving them from being shot up by the Wraithlord and Reapers, so I stay my mettle kan there. The Hawks' Exarch kills one warrior in assault with his web of skulls, and they take down one Hawk.

Absolutely nothing is accomplished by either side in the CC between the Farseer and the Lord w/ his Warrior buddies.
    Turn 4: Eldar - Scorpions and Wraithlord head towards the Farseer's position, expecting to shoot the heck out of my Lord and his Warriors when they finally finish off the Farseer. The Dark Reapers retreat so that if I kill the Farseer, I can't consolidiate into them/

The Hawks' Exarch makes sixteen attacks with his Web of Skills, inflicting one casualty on Warriors Beta. The rest of the Hawks do even worse. The Warriors inflict one casualty in return.

The slap fight with the Farseer continues.

Turn 4: Necrons - My Lord gets tired of this game, and teleports out of CC, leaving the Farseer standing triumphant (sort of). He and Warrios Alpha pop back into existance in front of the Dark Reapers, and blow them away.

The fight with the Hawks yields one more kill to each side, leaving me with four warriors in that engagement.
    Turn 5: Eldar - Making twelve power weapon attacks with his Web of Skulls, the Hawk's exarch finally manages to wipe out the last four members of Warriors Beta. That dropped me below phase out and just to wrap it up, his Farseer pulled another Mind War on my Lord, wiping him from existance. Nothing else could shoot at Warriors Alpha, and when my turn started, Phase out commenced with a WubWubWubWubWubWub.

My greatest error in that game was not realizing how much pain the Dark Reapers could throw my way. Wiping them out felt very, very good.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Eleven posts in a row. Feth, I could use a cigarette, and a hot brunette to light it off of. I hope y'all enjoy reading them as much as I did writing them.

This is the sum total of what I've got. Much to my chagrin, I can't find any of my IG reports. They're lost to the dark and impersonal shelves of the Imperial Archives. Which is too bad, because there are some great moments like my Rough Riders wiping out a squad of termies in one round, being slaughtered by bolter fire, and then the lone surviving sergeant charges a dreadnought, slaps it with a melta bomb, and dies in the ensuing blast when the dread vaporizes.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Damn, Gabe, you've just erased the rest of my night.

Also that Rough Rider story is solid gold.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow. Gabe, those are some devoted writeups. I wonder, how did the Eldar guy get off with no Troops choices? Seems kinda funny.
    I would suggest editing in a better title, such as... well, anything a little more catchy and descriptive than what you've got, that also better delineates what's going on in here. "The War Room - Battle Reports and Tactics for all table top games."

I'll repost some of what I've got when I'm off work.

How do I edit titles? I can't find whatever menu does that function.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Those are pretty awesome. Im sure I've seen some of those around before. Possibly on Warseer. Anyway onto what I played tonight.

System: Warhammer Fantasy
    Scenario: Pitched battle
    Combatants: High Elves vs Blood Dragon Vampire Counts

In this game I had to borrow a friends High Elves, so used an army somewhat different to what I would pick normally.

My army was as follows (as best I can recall):
    Archmage: Extra level, Ring of Corin, Jewels of Dusk - High magic
    Mage: Extra Level, Annulian Crystal - Heavens Lore
    Commander: Gem of Hoeth Steed, full armour and lance - Lore of Fire
    2 Units of 5 Silver Helms, Full command
    2 Units of 10 Archers
    6 Dragon Princes, Full command, Champion with Helm of Fortune, Banner of Arcane Protection.
    20 White Lions, Full Command, inspiring Tome, Banner of Sorcery
    2 Repeater Bolt Throwers.

His army was (more or less):
    Blood Dragon Vampire Count (5+ ward)
    2 Level 2 Necromancers (1 with Staff of damnation, other with some Danse macabre bound item thing)
    Wight Lord (Cursed Book)
    Banshee
    1 huge unit of Skeletons 25-30ish
    1 Unit of Skeletons - 20ish
    2 small untis of zombies - 10ish
    1 unit of 15 Grave Guard
    1 unit of 5 Black Knights
    2 Batswarms
    10ish Ghouls
    He had an assortment of magic Items which I don't really remember, I have included what I remember)

Terrain: A scattering of woods with 2 hills on one side of the table (It played very little part in the battle, so I've generally ignored it)

Deployment: He won the roll and chose the side with the hills to deny them to me. He deployed with a mass of Skeletons and Zombies in the centre, Skeletons in from, Zombies behind, Banshee to the fore. He deployed he Grave Guard on one flank and his Black Knights on the other. His Necros joined the Zombies, the Wight Lord the massive unit of Skellies and the Vamp joined the Black Knights.

I deployed one unit of Silver Helms on each flank, The White Lions in a wood in the very centre. The bolt throwers were placed immediatly either side of them. The archers were then placed on the outside of the Bolt throwers. The Dragon princes were placed on the Right flank. 1 mage joined each bolt thrower, the Commander joined a unit of Silver helms. Intrigue at court meant that my Commander was General. He took Fireball. The archmage got the first 4 spells of high magic, while the other mage got the first 2 heavens spells.

I lost the roll-off for first turn and he elected to move first.

Turn one:

As he started to move, he realised that he had placed his General on the extreme of one flank, meaning that none of his army apart from the Knights could march. As such the horde shuffled slowly forwards. In his magic phase, he attempted to Cast Vanhels danse Macabre to move his units faster but all attempts were dispelled. However, he managed to get an Invokation of Nehek through, raising a unit of zombies directly infront of my RBT and Archmage. Then, as I had run out of Dispel dice, he used a bond item to propel them into combat. Turn one and my squishy 360 point archmage just got charged. Fuck.
    As it happened, the archmage killed a zombie for the loss of a crewman, leaving the Combat tied.

In my turn, I charged the White Lions into the newly summoned zombies and generally rearranged my army, not advancing much. In the magic phase, I crippled one of his necros with Drain Magic and the ring of Corin, and zapped some other stuff with Fury of Khaine, Fire ball and got some rerolls with Heavens law. In the Shooting phase I shot the bats who had advanced quicky towards my archers. Under the assault of the White Lions, the Zombies crumbled.

Turn 2:

As turn two started, the Horde advanced again, his unit of Knights moving to within line of sight of my Dragon Princes. In the magic phase, all he managed to do was summon some more skeletons to replace casulties.

In my turn, I charged the Dragon Princes into the Knights, and generally redressed my line of battle. In the magic phase, I used Heavens lore to aid the Dragon Princes, and whittled down some more skeletons. I also used Fury of Khaine to vape the banshee In the shooting phase more skeletons fell. As we got the the combat phase I realised I had made a critical error. I had forgotten that the Banner of Arcane protection does a wound to all undead in contact in the magic phase. Oh well. In the combat, my champion accepted the Count's challenge and was cut down. However, thanks to the champions 1+ rerolalble save, the count only scored a single point in Combat Res. The Black knights were wiped out by the Princes and combat res, leaving the Count alone.

Turn 3 and 4

About this time I can't really remember where one turn starts and ends. Thus I will recount the rest of the battle as best I am able. He continued to advance his horde of Zombies and Skeletons as I poured Magic and normal Missiles into them in a desperate attempt to thin their numbers. I also caused the Ghouls to flee via shooting, though they rallied later. He occasionally got off a spell to make more skeletons. The Count Butchered the Dragon Princes, but the lone survivor held, inspired by his General, holding up the Count for another turn. However, he then cut down the last Prince and smashed into a Bolt thrower and Mage, killing the mage. The crew fled but outpaced him. On the right flank, the Silver Helms with commander moved up and charged a depleted unti of skeletons, wiping them out and overtunning into a unit of zombies + necromancer. They then wiped this unit out, ending in the VC deployment zone.

Turn 5

He advanced again, his last ghoul charging a unit of archers. The Vampire Count charged the fleeing Bolt Thrower Crew and persued off the board. He would play no further part in the game. Magic and Shooting phases continued as usual. The Ghouls failed to kill and archers and fled. They persued but could not catch him.
    In my turn, my other unit of Silver Helms charged the Grave Guard. More shooting and magic. The magic was somewhat restricted as I had one mage dead, and the Commander in combat. The Silver Helms fluffed their attacks again't the Grave Guard and fled from the bord. The unit with the commander swung around to charge next turn.

Turn 6
    Unable to do much, he merely shuffled his troops around. His last necro left the unit of zombies to avoid being charged by the remaining Silver Helms. his vampire stood around and looked threatening.

I charged my unit of White Lions into the big unit of skeletons and the Silver Helms into the small unit of Zombies. My Archmage and archers did their best to nail the Vampire but all the wounds I caused were saved. At this point he revealed that his Wight Lord had the cursed book, meaning I get -1 to hit. The Silver Helms, with this penalty, fail to wipe out the unit of zombies, and thus couldn't overrun into the rear of the skeleton unit as I had hoped. The White Lions and Skeletons exchange blows and the Lions win by 2 points, causing another couple of Skellies to crumble

At this point we had been playing for somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours, mainly due to the huge amount of magic I had. We counted up the Victory points and got as follows:

VICTORY POINTS
    High Elves: 850ish
    Vampire counts: 720
    Result: DRAW

Overall it was a very fun game, if somewhat drawn out by the amount of magic. I had 11-13 Power dice per magic phase and 7 Dispel dice in his. Still, I took the chance to use units I haven't used before (DPs and White Lions) and experimented with different magic items. All in all a highly enjoyable game. I apologise for the somewhat vague nature of this report. Fear didn't have much of an effect. My troops were well diciplined and didn't fail a single check.

Asher on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Topic suggestion: Lies I have told regarding my various inglorious defeats.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have a game tonight, I'll update this when I get home from it.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Wow. Gabe, those are some devoted writeups. I wonder, how did the Eldar guy get off with no Troops choices? Seems kinda funny.
    This was before the new Eldar codex was out, and Biel-Tann craftworld could take Aspect warriors as Troop choices.
    How do I edit titles? I can't find whatever menu does that function.
    The edit button is in the bottom right corner of your post. After you click it, the title will be in upper left corner.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Title edited.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gab thanks for all of those write ups, in addiction to them being a great read i'm starting a Necron army so it's good to read up on some tatics.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "The War Room: You Can't Fight In Here"

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So is the ultra shiny Monolith painted to be that way, or is it a metal kit?

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Put it this way, if it was a metal kit, it would weigh more than a Warhammer(40k or otherwise).

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So is the ultra shiny Monolith painted to be that way, or is it a metal kit?
    It's painted gloss aluminium with a coat of gloss sealant over the top. I also applied reflective chrome paint around the crystal and other bright points. Pretty much every piece of green plastic you see on there has an LED behind it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's cool.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not enough Warmachine/Hordes love in here, so here's something to fill in both of those:

Went down to my FLGS tonight and had a wonderful time, battling Philodox from PA forums (thanks man!). I'll get the gist of the battle down, but we didn't really keep track of turns or anything.

Me: Khador
    Kommander Sorscha
    -Destroyer
    -Juggernaut
    Winterguard Mortar Crew
    Manhunter
    Total: 349 points

Him: Legion of Everblight
    Lylyth
    -Carnivean
    -Seraph
    -Shredder
    -Shredder
    -Shredder
    -Shredder
    Total: 358 points

We started off on a standard 4'x4' table, put down terrain, he won initiative and chose to go second. I put my 'jacks and Sorscha on my right, and Mortar and Manhunter on the left. He grouped his stuff mostly together in the center, with Seraph on my left.

First couple turns went by somewhat uneventfully, with my mortar and bombard scattering a lot, and hitting on Shredder for a few points. His Seraph took off to kill my Mortar, and his troops swung to my right, so the Manhunter carefully tried to cross the table diagonally. (At this point it should be noted that he forgot about his power to see through Stealth, and I did not know about it).

As my caster and jacks and his warlock and beasts closed, he used his Carnivean's breath to damage my Juggernaut, just barely reaching with the 8" spray template. This of course filled me with glee - I proceeded to cast Boundless charge on my Juggernaut, and give him the max amount of focus. When the dust settled after 3 or so attacks total, the Carnivean was destroyed (as well as frozen from a crit, for good measure).

About 7" away on the other side of a small rock formation, my Destroyer was facing 4 Shredders, one somewhat hurt. Figuring "Hey, I can take care of the little buggers" I stepped into melee. One round later, the Destroyer had lost movement and Bombard systems, and had only three (3!) boxes left undamaged (One hull, one cortex, one right arm). At this point Sorscha had to step in and freeze the little guys, but it was too late. I definitely learned to respect Shredders.

During all this the Seraph walked over to my Mortar crew, vaporized them, and returned to where the Shredders were, but it took him a long time, being outside Lylyth's control zone. By the time he got there the Shredders expired, thanks only to Sorscha's feat (Which ironically also stopped them from frenzying and killing each other.), and he easily finished off the Destroyer.

While Sorscha was busy exterminating Light Warbeasts, the Juggernaut and the Manhunter were chasing Lylyth away from the action. She fired her bow damaging the 'jack's tough defense, and was finally backed into a corner, facing a free strike from the Manhunter if she were to continue retreating. She dealt out quite a bit of damage in melee, actually disabling movement on the Juggernaut and filling in a lot of boxes, but at this point Sorscha had met up with the melee group, catching Lylyth from behind, and the combined force of the three models finally brought the Herald of Everblight to her knees. (It is also worth mentioning that Sorscha was sneaking up on Lylyth just as much as she was running away from the fast-approaching Seraph)

I really enjoyed the battle, and my opponent said he did as well, so we agreed on having another match soon. We both forgot a couple rules, but it was a learning experience, and I don’t think we missed anything game breaking.

I also had some comments on the individual performance of my units that I am unsure would fit in this thread, so you can go check it out in my site if you're into that sort of thing.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While I couldn't believe that my Carnivean did about as well as a snowman fighting a transport truck, I was very happy with the performance of my shredders. The pack mentality ability is definitely something that shouldn't be underestimated.

My takeaways from that battle:
    -seraphs don't have to be forced to get their +D6 ranged attacks :P
    -Sending a very valuable unit off on a mystical voyage to take out a mortar team may not always be the best idea (a single shredder probably could have done the job)

Hopefully the forces of Everblight will put Khador in its place next time.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I just had my very first game of 40K. Like all first times, it was sweaty, fumbling, and awkward, a little disappointing, and yet I can't wait to do it again.

The game was 500 points, a basic table quarters cleanse mission. My friend D was playing my Blood Ravens, with a list Asmodai wrote up for me a few months ago:
    HQ
    Reclusiarch @ 115pts
    Terminator Armour, Bolter, Rosarius

Troops
    Tac Squad 1 @ 75 pts
    Sergeant w/ bolter, Space Marines x4 w/ bolters
    Tac Squad 2 @ 90pts
    Sergeant w/ bolter, Space Marines x2 w/ bolters, Space Marine w/ plasmagun, Space Marine w/ Heavy Bolter

Elites
    Terminator Squad @220pts
    Terminator Sergeant w/power weapon and storm bolter, Terminators x3 with storm bolters and powerfists, Terminator with assault cannon and power fist

I was playing my Imperial Guard:
    HQ
    Command Platoon @ 91pts
    Junior Officer w/ Honorifica Imperialis, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
    Guardsman w/ lasgun
    Guardsman w/ plasma gun
    Guardsman w/ meltagun
    Guardsman w/ laspistol + ccw

TROOPS
    Infantry Platoon @ 179pts
    Command Squad
    Junior Officer w/ laspistol + ccw
    4x Guardsman w/ lasgun
    Squad 1
    Sergeant w/ laspistol + ccw
    8x Guardsman w/ lasgun
    Guardsman w/ flamer
    Squad 2
    8x Guardsman w/ lasgun
    Guardsman w/ grenade launcher

Armored Fist Squad @ 180pts
    7x Guardsman w/ lasgun
    Heavy Weapons Team w/ lascannon
    Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy bolter, track guards

FAST ATTACK
    Sentinel Squadron @ 50pts
    Sentinel w/ autocannon

Pictures of the minis involved can be found here. Sadly, I don't have any battle photos (forgot a camera), and didn't keep track of exactly what happened from round to round - we were too busy flipping frantically through rulebooks and our army lists. I'll do my best to describe everything from memory. All directions are from my perspective.

The table was pretty basic, set up using terrain they keep in the back room of the game shop. Dominating the center of the table was this cool sort of Acropolis style ruin, a gentle green hill with a roofless temple on top that had two parallel rows of stone columns. To my left there was a large, steep hill with about a foot of clearance between it and the ruin; to my right there was a row of barbed wire and a listening-post sort of building. I won the setup roll and set up on my left corner with the flamer squad to the left, the command squads in teh middle and the sentinel and chimera to the right, then D set up his two tac squads on opposite wings and his terminators in the center. He won the roll to go first.

Oh, and here's my charmingly crude MS Paint rendition of the battlefield:

1349382632_34669c0298.jpg
    First turn, his non-heavy-weapons tac squad marched around the acropolis to my left, while his other squad went around to the right. The termies and the Reclusiarch went straight ahead like they were going to go up and through the acropolis. Early shooting from the left tac squad took out a couple members of my flamer-equipped infantry squad, who had deployed a bit too far forward.

My turn, the flamer squad moved further up, trying to reach the cover of the hill, and engaged in some harmless, flirty shooting with the marines. Both my command squads and the Sentinel stayed close together and headed for the center to try and hold back the Terminator advance for as long as possible. My Chimera zoomed around to the right (with my other infantry squad hanging behind it for cover) and pegged a member of the right tac squad with heavy bolter fire.

---

Next turn the tac squads advance more. The left tac squad killed a couple more of my flamer squad, and the plasma gunner in the right tac squad scores a glancing hit on the Chimera, stunning the crew. Moving up some more, the Terminators shoot through the temple at my Sentinel and don't do much, while the Reclusiarch veers to my left to help shoot up the hapless flamer squad.

My turn, the flamer squad moves and shoots some more, scoring a lucky hit and killing a marine. Sadly they're barely out of flamer template range. Fuck, fuck, fuck. In better news, my HQ squad breaks left to assist the beleaguered infantry there and the plasma gunner fries a marine out of his shoes. The Sentinel shoots his autocannon through the temple at the termies and can't even hit - apparently drunk driving, he rolled ones and twos the entire game, except for one time (which you'll read about later). The infantry squad with grenade launcher fire on the right tactical squad and don't do anything; meanwhile their buddies in the Chimera hop out to join in the ruck, setting up on the Chimera's right side for cover.

---

D's turn, the left tactical squad and the Reclusiarch kill a couple more of the guardsmen, taking the squad below half strength (they make their check). By all rights they should have been slaughtered but the dice were giving D a hard time, he got a lot of ones and twos. The Termies stay put and trade fire with the Sentinel again, and bad luck with the dice means the assault cannon isn't able to penetrate any armor. The marines on the right fire at the Chimera but again, neither the plasma gunner nor the heavy bolter manage to penetrate the armor.

My turn comes around and my HQ squad stays put and opens up on the tactical squad. The melta gunner and the plasma gunner both kill a marine apiece, reducing the squad to a marine and a sergeant. The platoon command squad fire at the Reclusiarch but are totally ineffectual - as is the Sentinel, still hitting those ones and twos on his autocannon like his life depends on them. The Chimera, its crew recovering, open up on the right tactical squad with multilaser and heavy bolter fire, as do both the infantry squads behind it. The Chimera nails two, the massed guardsmen get another and the lascannon fries a fourth, leaving just the heavy bolter marine, who passes his morale check.

---

D's turn, most of his marines suddenly gone, he walks his Termies towards the Chimera but doesn't manage to score any storm bolter hits. The two remaining marines from the tac squad annihilate the last of the left guard squad with bolter fire, and the Reclusiarch pegs a member of the command squad with the storm bolter - I dropped the guy with laspistol and ccw since he wasn't doing much anyway. The heavy bolter marine stands his ground and kills a couple more guardsmen.

My turn, the Sentinel gets bored of trading potshots with the Terminators and heads to the left to try its luck at the Reclusiarch instead. Its luck holds. :| My command squad wipes out the remnants of the left tactical squad; meanwhile, a well-placed krak grenade lobbed over the temple puts the bolter marine out of commission as the Chimera zooms around the hill to try (and fail) at lasering some Terminators. Better luck is had by the guardsmen - with the Termies now out to the right of the hill and in LOS, they open up and the lascannon manages to punch through one. The platoon HQ, having inched their way up the acropolis hill and sensing the crucial moment approaching, howl their battle cries and charge the Reclusiarch. Which, they immediately realize, was the stupidest idea ever, as he turns four of them into red mush and sweeping advances the survivor.

---

The Reclusiarch shoots at my command squad, killing two - it was down to my commander and the melta gunner. The Terminators hold their ground and shoot at the Chimera but score another round of ones, twos, and threes on their penetrate checks. The Reclusiarch then charges my Sentinel - you can't fault this guy's balls - and they trade blows to little effect.

The melta gunner, bless his heart, gets a wound on the Reclusiarch and the Sentinel, having exited the melee, gets double twos again. No matter what happens it's pretty much a certainty that this guy's getting summarily executed for incompetence. One squad of guardsmen begins moving through the temple to get a bead on the Terminators (for all the good it'll do them) while the armored fist guardsmen keep plugging away with the lascannon, nailing another termie. The Chimera sits and shoots and doesn't do much.

---

The Terminators turn to fire on the guardsmen coming through the temple, killing three - thank god for cover saves. The Reclusiarch shoots at the Sentinel again, but again isn't able to muster the sixes to punch through that armor.

All of a sudden the Sentinel pilot is apparently moved by the divine spirit of the Emperor and gets like double sixes on his autocannon shots, riddling the Reclusiarch (who then fails his saves) from like an inch away. I'm picturing some ED-209 in the boardroom type stuff here. That sort of puts paid to things as D, who was getting progressively more bummed out about his anti-armor shortfalls, opted to resign. As it happened, I guess this was the end of Turn Six anyway, but with all this other stuff we hadn't really been keeping track.

So it was a victory, but I felt kind of lousy because it didn't seem like D had been having a good time - this was both our first times, but I'm the one who's been pushing this really hard, the armies were mine so he hadn't had a chance to really think tactics, and he's a pretty intense strategizer in general - usually whenever we play a new game like Twilight Imperium or whatever, he cleans up. But he said he was just worried about losing track of time and being late for work, and as we discussed the battle afterwards (he still had twenty minutes till he had to leave), he seemed to have a pretty good grasp of what had gone right and wrong - for instance, after looking over the rules a bit more, he knew right away that he'd been too conservative with his squads, having them stand still and shoot instead of charging my nearby formations. And he ended up buying a Space Marine battleforce, so I guess the experience hasn't put him off the game.

For myself, it was an interesting experience - a lot of fun, once we sort of got past the scanning codexes and frantically looking for combat tables stuff. It was slightly weird having our first time in the game shop because we attracted quite the audience and I was a bit self-conscious about what I didn't know - especially since I'd be, like, "uhhh, okay, front armor for a Chimera is, uh... (flip)" and someone would impatiently call out "twelve!"

Of course, they were just trying to be helpful, and D and I made the rounds and chatted with people afterwards - there were a couple dudes behind us doing a 2,250 game with a mostly unpainted Armored Company going up against a gorgeous Black Legion, and a kid busy painting his huge (and quite swell-looking) Tyranid army. It definitely felt like I'd undergone some sort of initiation and taken my first steps into a wider (nerdier) world.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well done with your first game! It sounds pretty good, even if your opponent found it a little rough. As for feeling self conscious, there really is no need. Its just a form of knowledge sharing. At my club people always butt in with helpful comments and clarifications, we find it helps people learn what the rules are and is just convenient.
    Also, I really should try to write up about my games last friday. Ill get right on that.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks! I'm definitely hooked, I think. And this other friend of mine tells me that one of his co-workers revealed - in strictest confidence, because this is a horrible dark secret - that he plays 40K too (for like ten years), and has dug out his Blood Angels army in preparation for Apocalypse. My friend says this guy is pretty cool, so we're going to try setting up a night to meet at my buddy's place and I can learn at the feet of the master. So hopefully I should have more of these soon.

And yeah, Asher, definitely type yours up if you have time! I'm totally addicted to these reports.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Battle Reports are pretty fun so here goes:

System: Warhammer Fantasy
    Scenario Pitched Battle
    Combatants: High Elves Vs Empire

High Elves:
    Commander with Lion Guard, heavy Armour and Halberd
    Commander with Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Shield and Lance
    Mage with level 2 Upgrade, Jewel of Dusk and Dispel Scroll

2 units of 5 silver helms with heavy Armour and Barding, Both with Standards, 1 with Champion and Warbanner - 1 Joined by Commander
    2 units of 5 Shadow Warriors
    1 unit of 20 Swordmasters with Full Command - joining by Lion Guard Commander
    1 Bolt Thrower - Joined by Mage

Empire:
    Captain on barded horse with Shield, Full Plate and lance.
    Level 2 Bright Wizard

Unit of 20 Spearmen
    Unit of 20 Halberdiers
    2 Units of 12-14 handgunners
    1 Cannon - joined by wizard
    1 Unit of 10 Inner Circle Knights with banner of Extra Charging - Joined by Captain (Holy Shit these guys terrified me)

Deployment:
    We deployed Terrain as the book recommends, but neither of us had done this before. As such we ended up with a very crowded table. I won the toss for Edge and nabbed the one with a hill, which I put my Bolt thrower on. I also won first turn.
    BR1Dep.jpg
    Spoiled for biggish. It doesn't break H-scroll for me, but if you are running less that 1280x1024 it will.

Turn 1 - Maneuvering
    As I took first turn, I immediately set about reorganising my Battle Line. The left Unit of Helms swung about putting a wood between them and the Handgunners. The other unit advanced up behind the shadow Warrior infested wood and hid from the cannon. The Shadow Warriors all moved so that they could see the cannon, but not be seen by handgunners. The Swordmasters Moved forwards, out from behind the Wood. I was feeling cocky, 1 Bolt Thrower and 10 Longbows, combined with Lore of Heavens should be able to stuff up a cannon, right?
    WRONG! It started out well, as I entirely forget the Magic phase. Whoops!
    Bereft of Re-rolls, the Bolt Thrower only managed to put a wound on the wizard (this was a pleasant surprise). The Shadow Warriors caused 2 hits on the crew but failed to get any wounds. Damn. About this time, my Swordmasters felt very exposed. He started by making a general advance. with everything moving forwards. His big unit of Knights moved towards my shadow warriors for some unknown reason. In the magic phase he tried to Fireball the front unit of shadow warriors but it was dispelled. now came the part I was really dreading. Sure id maneuvered so his handgunners were useless, but that cannon could prove very dangerous. He aimed it at (yes you guessed it) the Swordmasters, but he guessed too far and the ball sailed harmlessly over their heads (Joy, Rapture etc.).
    That brought turn one to a highly uneventful close.

Tunr2.jpg

Turn 2 - God to Wizards: Fuck you!
    Seeing an opportunity to shut down the cannon I marched the far Right unit of helms up to right in front of it. Maybe not the smartest idea, but I had completely forgotten about grapeshot so it seemed logical at the time. The Swordmasters advanced full apce towards the halberdiers and the other unit of helms moved up to support them. The front unit of shadow warriors moved a bit to make sure the Uberunit of Knights couldn't see them, but was still march blocked.
    Alright then, onto Magic, see I remembered this time. The bolt throw dearly needs some Portent of Far loving, so three dice then, 1, 1, 4. Miscast! The mage takes a wound and the magic phase ends. Sniff.
    The Bolt Thrower Shoots a single bolt at the Knights in the hopes of Shish-Kebabing them, but I roll a 1. See? This is why I need Portent of Far. The Shadow warriors kill 3 Halberdiers. There is no combat, so its the Empire players turn.

His handgunners stuff around in the woods, the Knights shuffle a little, unsure what the hell they are doing, His 2 blocks of infantry for up, his halberdiers moving back a little. His wizard opens up with a Burning Head, but miscasts and is vaped as the spell explodes in his Face. Turns out the wound on him earlier helped a lot.
    The cannon, noticeably concerned About the Elven Horsemen bearing down on them load the cannon with nails and old boots. A passing Wood Elf player (I fought him too, but Ill get to that later) reminded us about Grapeshot. So, one S10 Flame Template later, I remove 3 Silver Helms. Fortunately the Commander with them has Pure of Heart and so the unit is immune to panic. Once again, no combat

Turn2.jpg

Turn 3 - My Camera dies so I can't remember as well what happened. (except for one more photo I took later)
    Well then, first things first. CHAAAAAAARGE! The Silver Helms charge the Cannon. He Holds. The Swordmasters advance a little bit, the other helms move up to support them. The Shadow warriors continue playing Silly Buggers. i the Magic phase I actually manage to get a Spell off. The Bolt thrower receives the benefits of Portent of Far. In the shooting phase, the Shadow warriors Ping some arrows off the knights with no visible damage, but the Bolt thrower hits with a single bolt which kills three knights as it pieces ranks. Result! In the Combat phase the crew of the cannon are butchered without mercy and their machine destroyed as the Helms overran off the table. It should be noted that about this point, one of the Roleplayers from the club sat in for a while, making snide comments about how the Empire General should throw himself upon the mercy of the Elves and that if he keeps this up, all he should expect from the Emperor is a swift execution.

His turn starts with his halberdiers declaring a charge on my Swordmasters. Despite my best estimates he turns out to be in range. His knights shuffle around a bit still being vexed by the Shadow Warriors. His left (unpainted) unit of handgunners still buggers around in the woods while the other reforms, ready to greet my returning Helms with a hail of Shotte. No magic and no Shooting, onto Combat. Despite striking first, his Halberdiers 6 strength 4 attacks result in a single Casualty. Arandar of Chrace and the remaining Swordmaster strike back and slaughter the whole front rank. Unsurprisingly they flee and are run down by the vengeful Elves.

Turn 4 - Uneventful
    At the start of this turn, My Helms and Commander return and duck behind some woods to avoid the attentions of the hand gunners. My Swordmasters turn to Face the Spearmen they are now behind and the other unit of Helms wheels a bit to face the Spearmen but otherwise doesn't move. The Shadow warriors continue to play in the woods. Magic is uneventful, and in the shooting Phase the Bolt thrower misses the Knights. Woo! Feel the excitement!

In his Turn, the Knights finish up what ever the hell the found so exciting that corner of the battlefield and advance 7" towards the centre. His Spearmen move to face the Swordmasters and his Handgunners move a little, achieving nothing. No combat in his turn either.

Turn 5 - Kill! Maim! Burn!
    Seeing an opportunity to Slaughter more puny Humans in the Name of Khaine, I charged my Fresh Unit of Helms into the Flank of the spearmen. The Swordmasters reformed to face the oncoming knights, while the other unit of Helms Stayed behind the woods, ready to counter charge his Knights if they engaged the swordmasters. The Shadow warriors continued dicking around in the woods. In the Magic phase not much really happened. The bolt thrower was Buffed and in the Shooting phase killed a couple of Handgunners. The Shadow Warriors tried to emulate this but failed to inflict any harm. In the Combat Phase 5 spearmen died as they were impaled by Ithilmar Lances or trampled by Elven Steeds. With no chance to strike back, they lost the combat by miles are fled, only to be cornered and killed by the waiting swordmasters. The Helms successfully restrained pursuit.

He started his turn by announcing that his Knights were going to charge the Swormasters. Oh ho! Said I, surely they must be out of range! Then he unfurled his "banner of +D3" to charge range", rolled a 5 and slammed into the swordmasters. Bugger. The rest of his movement consisted of reforming one unit of handgunners to finally get them out of the woods. In the shooting phase, his other unit of handgunners took aim and shot the Farthest unit of Shadow Warriors. Despite needing 7s to hit he managed to kill 2, but they passed their panic test. In the Combat phase, men and horses lashed out, killing 5 or 6 Swordmasters. Arandar and the Champion struck back, accounting for a Knight a piece. I can't remember exactly how the combat worked out but after banners were waved and horns blow, it ended in a dead tie. For me, this was actually a very good result. He had lost his best chance of breaking the unit and I had 2 units of Helms in reserve.

Turn 6 - "They think it's all over . . . IT IS NOW!"
    Raising high the red banners of revenge, both units of Helms smashed into the unit of Knights, one in each flank. My shadow warriors moved so that no one could shoot them. In the magic Phase, the Mage protected himself and the Bolt thrower with Shield of the Heavens. The bolt thrower then killed a couple more handgunners. What followed was little more that a slaughter. The sheer number of Strength 5 attacks that rained down on that unit of Knights was brutal, and by the time they got to strike back, only the Empire Captain and the Standard bearer remained.

Slashstab.jpg

Despite earning back some honour by killing another couple of swordmasters, they broke and fled like whipped curs, outdistancing the pursuing elves. it was at this point I realised that the Pursuit had taken my units into the line of fire of his Handgunners. Oh well.

His turn started with his General failing to rally and promptly running into some shadow warriors who Gleefully cut him and his standard bearer down. The rest of his turn was one unit of handgunners firing on the Bolt thrower, only to have the singular hit bounce of the Shield of Heavens. The other unit opened up on the reduced Silver Helms, Causing a wound on the Commander with them. With that final act of Defiance, the game was over.

Total VPs:
    High Elves: Lots, 1200+
    Empire: Not much, maybe 150

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And that, silly humans, is what you get for sending riderless, colorless horses into combat against the flamboyantly sparkly and rainbow-riffic High Elves.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I specifically tried to make my Elves non-rainbow-riffic, but as for Sparkly? Guilty as charged.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Details details...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Alrighty, this's gonna be somewhat short and sweet since I'm doing this from memory and it's kinda late at night, but I had a helluva fun game with my Orks this last Friday.

Iron Warriors vs Orks, 1850 points, seek and destroy gamma

Iron Warriors (Legion Rules)
    Speed Demon Prince w/Furious Charge, spiky bits etc
    3 x 8 Marines with heavy bolter, plasma gun, champ with powersword
    12 marines with 2 meltas, champ with powerfist, infiltrating
    5 obliterators
    2 defilers
    vindicator
    basilisk

Orks (Gen'rul Skrag Bad Grimtuff's Freebootin' Facebeatas)
    Da Gen'rul (Warboss) 3+/5+, PK, Choppa, Iron Gob
    Big Mek w/Choppa and KFF
    20 orks with 3 Big Shootas, Nob with PK, Choppa, Boss Pole, Iron Gob
    20 Orks with 3 rokkit launchas, Nob as above
    19 shootas with 3 Big Shootas, nob with choppa, Iron Gob, Big Shoota, Boss Pole
    10 tankbustas, 3 rokkit launchas, nob with choppa, rokkit launcha, Iron Gob
    10 Burnas boyz, 4 burnas, mek with KFF

5 buggies with twin linked rokkits, spikes 'n blades, armor plates, grot riggers, red paint jobs
    5 bikes

1 Killa Kan with big shoota, armor plates
    Looted Russ with 3 heavy bolters, armor plates, grot riggers

Unfortunately I won't be able to give a super detailed turn by turn analysis. This's all gonna be from the perspective of my Orks.

The Terrain was fairly evenly placed, a few hills and level three forests spread throughout for decent fire lanes and approach areas, except there was a bunker on his side of the board on the extreme left flank since he got to choose table edge (but I got first turn!).

He deployed two of his three heavy bolter squads in, and on top of the bunker, his basilisk behind the bunker, and his vindicator to the left of the bunker to prevent my russ from getting side armor shots on his bassie. His third heavy bolter squad was in a central forest in his deployment zone, flanked to the right by both of the defilers. The five obliterators deployed in between the bunker on the far left and the central forest of the lone heavy bolter squad.

In retaliation I deployed my tankbustas in a forest on the left side to counter his vindicator threat, and with so many other boys I was hard pressed for deployment area. My tankbustas, shootas, and big shoota slugga squad was deployed opposite the bunker on my left flank, with my big mek in the middle of the mess for a mobile 5+ cover save. In the center I had deployed my burnas, killa kan, and rokkit launcha slugga squad. On my extreme right flank I deployed my bikes and all 5 buggies in an effort to get around the flanks of his defilers and take them out with the buggies.

In response he infiltrated his 12 man melta squad on my right flank to try and intercept my bikes and buggies, as well as deploying his speed lord near his right-most defiler.

In the first two turns a number of spiky bastards in the bunker fell to massed big shoota fire and decent battlecannon scatters while his vindicator and defilers ignored all of my rokkit launcha hits by means of Demonic Possession. Fortunately his obliterators and heavy bolters were producing a minimum of casualties after my killa kan absorbed two turns of autocannon fire from, I believe, 3 of the obliterators - the other two causing insignificant casualties with their heavy bolters. His Heavy Bolter squads produced a decent number of casualties but I was consistently thwarting his shooting phase with my kustom force fields - my big mek, and the mek in my burna squad were placed so that the entirety of my infantry had 5+ cover saves.

Things heated up during turns 3 and 4 as I neared assault range. My bikers were wiped out by the demon prince on the charge and I followed up with by assaulting the bastard with my center-field slugga squad (the rokkit squad), eventually destroying him but leaving them open to a rapid fire by his infiltrating marines, wiping the squad down to a wounded nob with PK and a single boy, who managed to stay in the game and consolidate into cover. His right-most defiler vaulted the hill he was behind and assaulted those two Orks to finish them off. Well, he whiffed his attacks, and my Nob pimp-slapped the Defiler into oblivion - far too successfully, in fact, because the resulting explosion killed off the nob and boy. Unfortunately my Killa Kan was destroyed just outside of charge range of an obliterator.

Totally awesome.

Turn 5-6, I managed to fail a series of morale and mob checks for my shoota boyz (whom I love, because they always absorb tons of enemy fire), and tankbustas and utilized the re-roll for the mob-up (from those boss poles I love so much) to turn my big shoota slugga boyz mob into a giant amalgamation of sluggas, tankbustas, and shootas, stretching a large portion of the board. By this time my Warboss had gotten squashed by the center-field defiler, who was counter-dismembered by the Burnas that I lit his ass up with. The 12-man infiltrators and center-field heavy bolter squad got caught by my Super Mob. The heavy bolter squad was wiped out - the infiltrators took significant casualties and fled off the board.

Earlier in the game I had blown the big cannon off his vindicator and then proceeded to annihilate the vindi with a side shot from my russ.

By this point in time both of the heavy bolter squads in and around the bunker had taken significant casualties and jumped out to try and charge into my Orks while they were tied up with the obliterators. His obliterators walked up to my super mob and flamered the shit out of them - fortunately I had spaced them all out to the maximum with my consolidation move after scaring his infiltrators off the board. Casualties were heavy, but considering I was staring down four flamers, much better than they would have been if I hadn't spread out.

I caught one obliterator unit after another in subsequent assault rounds and managed to stay in combat through the end of turn 6, during which I wiped out the last of the obliterators as well as wipe out another of the heavy bolter squads.

The last squad was below half with 3 men left, and his bassie was still on the board untouched.

I had a below half burna boy squad, my mega squad had 11 models left in it, and since the original squad they had formed up into (the big shoota sluggas) were originally 20 man, I still had an above half slugga squad, so I got full points for them. As well, my Leman Russ was completely undamaged.

Solid Victory to da Gen'rul!

Okay, so.. I said it wasn't gonna get too specific, but apparently I remember a heckuva lot more about how the game went down than I thought. Anyways.

It was an extremely fun game and my opponent was very fun to play against. He had a lot of fun making a huge pile of dead Orks on the side of the board! It's nice to know that Orks, as they stand, are still capable of putting up a good fight - and we're only gonna get more dangerous after the new codex comes out!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading - lemme know if you wanna hear any more about my battles!
    Waaaagh Ork!

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That was great, SJ, and it sounds like it was a carnagetastic game. I especially loved the bit about the Nob and the Defiler.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, it occurs to me that I have 3 battles which I have not posted here, including the one from last week. These will be rather slapdash in nature because I'm tired and tack time and effort. Pictures may happen, but my camera has shit itself and refuses to function properly.

The first tale I will recount is my loss to Wood Elves last Week. It was a close game that In the end turned into a Solid Victory for him as I fail a number of critical Rolls. Rather that go through turn by turn, I will instead talk about the various areas of the battle field and what happened where.

I had a large amount of success on My left flank and in the centre, while the right flank was where I got absolutely hammered. On my left, I deployed a single unit of Silver Helms, while he had a unit of Tree-kin and a Unit of Dryads. I the centre I had my Bolt Thrower and mage, while he had 2 units of 10 archers. On the Right, we massed out forces. I had my unit of Swordmasters with Hero, Another unit of Helms, with Hero, and my 2 units of 5 shadow warriors. He had a unit of Dryads, a unit of Wild Riders, an Alter Noble with a magic bow and his mage.

The left flank went very well for me. My unit of helms avoided the Tree-kin and smashed through the dryads. They then lost 2 members as they charged a unit of archers in the centre who were quickly put to flight and were pursued off the table. In the centre, my Bolt Thrower traded fire with the archers, protected by the wizards Celestial Shield. This stalemate was broken when my Remaining helms Wiped out one unit, then the other when they came back on to the table. Now all of this was pretty positive, but I got my arse handed to me on the other side of the table.

The first couple of turns were maneuvering. Both sides had cavalry, and neither wanted to be charged. My Shadow Warriors killed 3 wild Riders and My Silver Helms moved up to face the Dryads. They got closer, so I announced a Charge. 1 failed fear test later my unit of Knights with the accompanying general sat around looking very silly. The next turn they were charged by 12 Dryads, 2 Wild Riders and the Alter Noble. Horribly outnumbered by Fear Causing stuff, they lost the combat by 1 point (I forgot I had given them a Warbanner) and fled from the table, the Dryads pursuing off. meanwhile, His mage moved into the same forest as my Shadow warriors and he Announced that he had the Deepwood Sphere. I enquired what the strangely named bauble did, and jokingly suggested that it killed everything in the same woods as the mage. His response? "Pretty much". 8 Shadow Warriors died, completely wiping out 1 unit.
    Seeing a chance to regain some honour, and possibly score a Draw, I positioned my Swordmasters to charge the Dryads when they returned. The dryads returned to the table and were promptly charged. 6 WS6 S5 attacks do nothing. The dryads kill a few Swordmasters but lose the Combat. The proceed to hold. In the last turn, the Swordmasters are charged in the flank by the wildrider (Only 1 was left by now) and the Alter Noble who had paused briefly to finish off the shadow warriors. Swordies lost, fled and were run down. Fortunately the game ended before the rest of my army could be mopped up.

Overall it was a very tense game, that could have easily gone wither way. I feel my tactics were more or less sound, but I suffered some bad luck. Oh well. That was the first time the Wood Elf player had beaten my High Elves (he's given my Skaven A good kicking though) so he was pretty pleased. I was soundly beaten. We didn't bother to add up VPs, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was massacred.

Later: More Battle Reports! Vengence against the Asur's hippy kin! Just another Zombie Hunt. With Pictures!

Asher on