As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

let's talk..cardio

SaniusSanius Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Social Entropy++
So I love cardio, love it love it it makes me feel better then people who don't run and are fat. Lets just talk cardio, get that heart racing. Not weight lifting or anything like that, but the act of using your two legs in a continuous motion for a fucking long ass time. I'm not sure if there are many active runners in SE but i'd love to find out and discuss running and techniques thereof.

I love to run, I have been for the past six months. I've love 40 pounds in six months from it for gods sake I don't feel fat and slow, how can I not enjoy it. I went from not being able to run more then twice a week and less than half a mile to five times a week at 3 miles a day. No music, no nothing. Just a big ass track, running clothes and a 32 oz bottle of water. Not only do I enjoy it because I get fit, but when I get back from work or school, and I'm fucking pissed at someone, running is my way of relieving stress.

So what do you do? Power-walk, HIIT? Jog, Run? how long, how far, ect.

Sanius on

• Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i am a lazy fatty

potatoe on
  • Options
    candanaviancandanavian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ran about a mile a day during the summer.

I'm trying to get in about four or five miles a week during this semester.

Tomorrow my brother and I are going to a spinning class. Hot chicks all up ins.

candanavian on
    firamedferris5.jpgfavicon.ico favicon.ico favicon.ico
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My snazzy gym spoiled me, because they have a tv for every treadmill. So now I try to run outside and get bored too fast with just listening to music. I try to do about 4-5 miles a day on weekdays, and rest on the weekends. Not really losing too much weight, it just feels good to do in the mornings. Worth getting up at 4:30 am errday for.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to jog for about 3 miles everyday. I really should get back into it again.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I run about 3-4miles every other day(unless I feel like being lazy). I had a routine for working out at the gym, but I had so much work the last 2 months haven't been keeping with it. But i'm starting up my gym work out starting next week. Besides all of that I do pull ups every day as well as sit ups.

Running in the morning is pretty awesome. You feel crappy before hand but during the rest of the day you feel pretty good.

M.D. on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't run anymore, I now cycle for about 4-5 miles a day. I follow up with weight training. School and winter are coming soon so the amount of cycling that I do is going to go down quite a bit. However, two of the classes I will be taking this semester happen to be weight training. I wont be getting as much cycling in once I start school and the weather gets shittier, but the added weight training will more than make up for that.

Linksville on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's an exercise bike in this room. I like to start riding it when a show like Futurama comes on so I can focus on that while still getting some exercise. There's also a parking lot on campus which is 10 flights of stairs below the main campus. All the people who park there are either in fantastic shape or late for class and desperately trying to find any parking spot.

The latter are always taking breaks halfway up. There's a little outcropping area for them to do so.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Walking 20-25 minutes from my dorm to my class 2-4 times a day gives me an excuse to reward myself with a tall, frosty IBC root beer every day

Also, why is my campus so large that it takes nearly half an hour to walk from one place to another, and merits a train to get around on campus?

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Boots and utes.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know whats better then cardio?

Weightlifting.

Fuck you runners.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wait a minute, I run but I've put on 25 lbs. Does this mean I'm fat and lazy?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Running is so boring, even with an mp3 player. I can't take it.

I want to work on my gut, but I can't think of anything else to do besides sit ups or jogging.

Is there anything else or am I boned.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

I want to work on my gut, but I can't think of anything else to do besides sit ups or jogging.

think about how you won't be a lard ass if you run

Sanius on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

diet

bicycle crunches
    6 inches
    bridges
    etc

christ there is a plethora of ab exercises but mostly you're going to get rid of the gut through diet

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I rode 100 miles in 5:02

enjoy your crappy knees 5 years from now

Euphoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't have to.

My knees are crappy now.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love cardio! I usually run 4-5 miles, 3-4 times a week or bike 8-12 miles.

Back in my cross country days I ran 4:40 miles but now I'm happy when I break 6 minutes.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2007
    I didn't do legs all week so tomorrow I have to do squats and deadlifts on the same day

plus shoulders

:(

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You do legs and back in the same day?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I hate squatting.

Except squatting on the toilet.

Which I try to do at least 4-5 reps a day.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

nope. I do legs throughout the week

Monday chest and deadlifts

Wednesday back and calf raises

Friday Shoulders and squats, and whatever isolation work if I've been a good boy

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    deadlifts are a leg exercise dammit

Tube on
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I don't see that being a problem as long as you isolate the muscles...

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I enjoy running when I go for long runs and 45 mins at the fastest pace I can handle, but HIIT I do not enjoy, although I do it twice a week. I just keep it to twenty mins, sprint a lap, run a lap, repeat, and fuck is it torture. The track was really busy the other day so I ended up just timing it in my head running around the block and I went a little too fast and ended up on my knees puking on some dudes lawn. He was taking his kids to school. I felt bad, but so much better at the same time.

I just started the velocity diet so no running this month, just weight lifting and elliptical. Hopefully I won't die.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    squats are really tiring I'm not fond of anything strenuous

instead I will parade around in lycra like a fairy and dance with my legs in perfect circles

Euphoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Squatting is actually my favorite exercise because it's my strongest and I improve at it the fastest, but I never look forward to deadlifts, although they are my second strongest.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Benching and military press is where I really fall flat. I can barely move any weight at all at either of those exercises. I enjoy doing them, but I get really impatient about how much longer it takes for me to improve at them than everything else.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I did my whole run at 8mph today.

Refreshing

Weaver on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    due to the lack of strength in my ginglymi, i don't do much high intensity cardio. i have, however, been walking 4 miles a day for the last few weeks. 2 miles before work, 2 miles after.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The other day I figured I'd do swimming for cardio, thinking the endurance I've managed to gain from running would port over to swimming.

I was wrong.

I want to go swimming at least once a week now so I can see some improvement there, it just can't be between lifting days because motherfuck, that shit works your muscles.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sanius wrote: »
    So I love cardio, love it love it it makes me feel better then people who don't run and are fat. Lets just talk cardio, get that heart racing. Not weight lifting or anything like that, but the act of using your two legs in a continuous motion for a fucking long ass time. I'm not sure if there are many active runners in SE but i'd love to find out and discuss running and techniques thereof.

I love to run, I have been for the past six months. I've love 40 pounds in six months from it for gods sake I don't feel fat and slow, how can I not enjoy it. I went from not being able to run more then twice a week and less than half a mile to five times a week at 3 miles a day. No music, no nothing. Just a big ass track, running clothes and a 32 oz bottle of water. Not only do I enjoy it because I get fit, but when I get back from work or school, and I'm fucking pissed at someone, running is my way of relieving stress.

So what do you do? Power-walk, HIIT? Jog, Run? how long, how far, ect.

I don't run. Bad for the knees. And as we all know, you can't be a good fighter if you have bad knees. Cardio's super-important, but I just don't think running is a good long-term solution. Cycling and swimming seem much better. My own personal cardio choice, as many here can figure out, is martial arts training. Also, kettlebell workouts can provide an enormous amount of cardio work if you just change what muscle groups you're using and don't stop between sets. It also helps that I have a certified kettlebell dude as a personal trainer, so, like, it's getting done right and I don't injure myself.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Soulburner wrote: »
    Benching and military press is where I really fall flat. I can barely move any weight at all at either of those exercises. I enjoy doing them, but I get really impatient about how much longer it takes for me to improve at them than everything else.

oh my god I am a machine on the bench press

get this, babies

115x4

Euphoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Uh, what do you mean, 115 x 4? 4 reps at 115 lbs, 4 sets at 115 lbs?

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007

nope. I do legs throughout the week

Monday chest and deadlifts

Wednesday back and calf raises

Friday Shoulders and squats, and whatever isolation work if I've been a good boy

My friends and me do Legs one day, then back and shoulders the next, we do deadlifts as back.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I can't see squat being good for your knees or your back in the long run.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    that was my last set

halfway through the fifth repetition it fell right back down to my chest

I had to yell out, "dude, duuude, duuuuuuude" before I got help

Euphoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is that supposed to be impressive or a joke?

I really can't tell :(

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to run about a mile and a half every time I got home from work if I was closing. Stopped for about a month but I'm trying to get back into it. Usually beforehand I do some pushups and ab stuff, usually throw in some stuff with dumbells too.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have the arm definition of a 12-year-old girl

I can leg press a mean 600 lbs. though

Euphoria on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If you want to make your arms look good, do lots of curls, hammerheads, and dips.

Bench press doesn't work your arms nearly as much as those exercises will.

EDIT: Make sure you get your shoulders, back, and chest too though or else your big arms will look all dumb.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]