As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Workers of the World UNITE! (Labor Day Thread)

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FYI, law and order special-victims unit marathon on USA.

labor day rules.

too bad i have to work.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Keep on rockin in the free world!

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yet the money for welfare is appropriated via a violation of individual rights. You can't protect rights by violating them. When rights are properly defined, there can be conflict between them.
    Wait, what? Of course you can! We do it all the fucking time! If I try to kill you, and the cops shoot me, they just violated my right to life, but protected yours. Hey, protected your rights by violating mine! See also: the example I posted earlier, wherein the TV salesmen has to pay a fee for every TV he sells, in order to protect the rights of the rest of us to have clean water, air, and soil. See also: the banning of child labor. See also: every good government that has existed in the history of the world. For fuck's sake, I've already addressed this fucking retarded platitudinous assumption, which has no evidence whatsoever to back it up. You're a fundamentalist, just like Pat Robertson, the only difference is that there's a chance his god exists, unlike "unlimited inviolate individual rights."
    There is no conflict between a government protecting its citizens from physical force, and refraining from redistributing their wealth. If the government pays people on the premise that they would somehow be destined to commit crime otherwise (a premise which is questionable, at best), it is effectively acting as a middleman for the crime they would have otherwise committed, and furthermore, by paying people with its citizens' money on the premise that those people would commit crime otherwise, it is putting its honest, law-abiding citizens in the position of extortion victims.
    Yes, yes, yes, taxes are extortion, blah, blah, blah.

Taxes are a necessary evil. Without taxes, there is no government. There are certain things which the government decides to spend our money on. In this case, we can either spend $X on law enforcement, to punish people for committing crimes, or $Y on welfare, so that fewer people are placed in a position of desperation, and have to commit crime. To a certain point, $X will be greater than $Y. Where that point is is very, very debatable, but a small amount of money spent on welfare will make up for a much larger amount of money that would otherwise be spent on law enforcement. Now, I don't know about you, but I'd rather the government take less of my money, and spend it on helping people, rather than take more of my money, and spend it on hurting people. Then again, I haven't yet Seen the Light of Libertarianism. :roll:

A Libertarian is just a liberal who doesn't understand the concept of a collective action problem.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I plan on getting so drunk tomorrow that I will forget I actually have to work for a living.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    How can anybody owe something to "society"?
    Were you shot or stabbed today? Do you benefit from public education (and if you're living in the first-world, even if you and your children go to private schools, the answer is "yes")? Been on a road, lately? Sidewalk? Any house in your town had a fire put out in your lifetime? Do you use electricity, clean, running water, natural gas, and/or propane? Do you engage in commerce? Been invaded by a foreign power, lately? Hey, look, you're getting a bunch of benefits from "society." I'd say that maybe you owe them something in exchange for these benefits, because that's how things work in a capitalist society, isn't it? The exchange of goods and services, right? In this case, you're exchanging your goods--in the form of taxes--for the benefit of not having to live in Thunderdome, where, instead of being in prison, Bubba would be in charge, and your ass would be there for his pleasure.
    There's no such thing as society, at least in the sense that you're talking about: when a bunch of people start acting in concert to pursue their own individual interests, they have not created some new, supernatural entity with rights and interests independent from, and greater than, those of the individuals involved.
    Other than the "supernatural" part, yes, they have. This is fundamental to human civilization, and if you don't believe in it, I suggest you move somewhere where it doesn't exist. This, in general, involves being somewhere where there are no other people.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish I was working tomorrow, this weekend is far too long.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How do you figure that? What is the nature of that entity? Does it have any discernible characteristics?

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    Whoa whoa

What

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Whoa whoa

What

The last thing I need right now is a lot of time to sit around and think, work would at least be a distraction for me.

EDIT: Or that explanation would work, I guess.

TDL on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man, I manage the surgical floor of a hospital, TFS, get that shit out of my face. Three days off is fuck awesome.

I can understand it if you need the money, I guess.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Whoa whoa

What
    when adults get good jobs they enjoy the act of working at them and getting paid

I get paid for tomorrow and I don't even have to go in. I enjoy that way more.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I'm getting payed for tomorrow.

I just wish I was working, is all.

TDL on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't get paid, as it's not a holiday for me.

I just don't happen to be working.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That sounds like a horrible party.
    Unless Clinton was there.

Say what you want about that guy, he probably knows how to turn a mother out.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    How do you figure that? What is the nature of that entity? Does it have any discernible characteristics?
    All sorts of them. Just look at our body of laws, rules of etiquette, traditions, etc., etc. It's a lot like a corporation, actually.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BANANNARCHY

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

well you see

when you get more than one person together

you get a group of people

and when you get a very large group of people together

we call that a society

I hope I haven't gone too fast for you.

Tomorrow we'll learn how to count to ten!

And what sound a horsie makes!

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I mean jesus fuck

asking us to define what a society is

everyone knows what a fucking society is

you're the kind of jackass who thinks he's taking the higher ground in an argument by going just so we're clear, can you specify what you mean by "is" for me please?

god

fucking asslicker

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    just a group of people is not a society

I mean yeah he was being pretty petty

but you're being a huge condescending asshole too, who just happened to completely oversimplify something that you really shouldn't

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    also I'm the kinda guy who jerks it to Lincoln-Douglas slashfic

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I mean jesus fuck

asking us to define what a society is

everyone knows what a fucking society is

you're the kind of jackass who thinks he's taking the higher ground in an argument by going just so we're clear, can you specify what you mean by "is" for me please?

god

fucking asslicker
    Because making sure you're debating over the same thing is for assholes?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    almost there

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Lincoln slowly removed his stove-pipe hat, "So, what exactly is justice, Stephen?"

He then quickly dropped his pants, revealing his natural stove-pipe hat

where's my column, jerusalem! am i going to have to suck it out of you again?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Orik, where were you when we needed you

you forsook us in our hour of need

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    what the hell are you talking about

i spent today watching a bruce lee movie with ping-pong instead of kung fu, i firmly believe that it is time well-spent

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I get to work tomorrow, it is great! Double time for doing nothing. On top of that, I am working overtime today so my next check will be major extra $$ for my Vegas trip. I love holiday pay.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the furries, they were everywhere, and oh god they got filler and veretas

they got filler and veretas

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Frog wrote: »
    I get to work tomorrow, it is great! Double time for doing nothing. On top of that, I am working overtime today so my next check will be major extra $$ for my Vegas trip. I love holiday pay.

you're going to be living up the hedonistic lifestyle in las vegas huh

you hedonist you

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I love vegas because it's the only place I know of where you can choose to just not sleep for an extended period of time

and everything there will accommodate you and your decision to do so

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    FrogFrog Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Frog wrote: »

you're going to be living up the hedonistic lifestyle in las Vegas huh

you hedonist you

I had to Google hedonist. O_o

I would also rather think of it in Freudian terms. I will venture to Vegas, where I will suppress my Superego and let my Id consume my every action for five glorious days. I will then place the constraints of morality back upon my weary soul for another year.

Next year is Barcelona. New gay hot spot of the world.

Frog on
    EdwardEyesSig.jpg
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    All sorts of them. Just look at our body of laws, rules of etiquette, traditions, etc., etc. It's a lot like a corporation, actually.

That's nothing more than a series of individual choices. It's not some other entity acting independent of that.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    That's nothing more than a series of individual choices. It's not some other entity acting independent of that.
    So, are you saying that a corporation is nothing more than the sum of its shareholders?

Thanatos on