As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PCXL -- OMG THEY'RE BACK

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love a good games magazine, in the UK we have Edge which is easily my top choice for reading on a train. Just like online news never really replaces the satisfaction of sitting down to read a newspaper, theres a certain satisfaction in reading a good games magazine.

I doubt I will see this one in the UK though :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    i remember being subscribed to game players, then ultra game players, then PCXL. I'll probably be subscribing to this too.

Aye. I just need a link to a subscriber page and I'm set.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »

O_o What form did this supposed prior "bringing it back" take? Does anyone have details? Curiosity++

They briefly revived it as an online-only magazine that you had to subscribe to (it was like $10 a month or something I forget) and hardly anyone subscribed so they closed it after like a month.

also this is horseshit thers absolutely nothing about this online, not even on the publisher's website. you'd think they would want to promote their fucking product

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jinx wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Well hot damn. I need to hit up the local newsstand.

It should be out everywhere by Tuesday.

edit: and this is the cover

jinx!
    very cool. i'll be sure to look for it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »

O_o What form did this supposed prior "bringing it back" take? Does anyone have details? Curiosity++

They briefly revived it as an online-only magazine that you had to subscribe to (it was like $10 a month or something I forget) and hardly anyone subscribed so they closed it after like a month.

Man, I didn't even have internet when PCXL attempted this comeback , so A. I didn't know, B. I am blame-free

The rest of you, though....:x A pox, a pox I say, upon your houses! For lo! The second coming of the print magazine is at hand, and those who herald its return shall lord over the unfaithful, and shall tickle their wives and eat their pie.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved PCXL and I'm glad they're back. I could do without having to hear anymore about the frag dolls though.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looking at that cover, I can't help but feel the magazine will be dead within a year.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Have to agree with both sides here.

On the one hand I was a long-time subscriber to PCXL and still have most of the issues buried in a box somewhere. Great mag, fun writing, etc..

On the other, it's 2007 and I think I'm beyond having any desire for magazines at this point. Anything I want or need is available on the internet for free. I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way.

I can't see the magazine doing any better than it did the first time. Maxim-type magazines may be a bit more known now, but I really think tech magazines are far less relevant since the target audience is a bunch of intertron nerds who don't need print material.

I wish them luck but it's a hard sell to get me to pay for stuff I can get for free at this point.

(btw, the frag dolls are average looking girls and I wish faggot video game nerds and reviewers would shut up about them, it's pathetic)

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So any word if they will bring back the web site and offer subscriptions? PCXL almost felt like a parody of other gaming mags. I still have a stack of old issues somewhere around here.

I feel though as if I'm the only one that still buys magazines heh. Gotta have something to read on the crapper :lol:

powersurge on
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know if PCXL is "back" in the traditional sense. This issue is going to be out for 3 months. I don't know if that means PCXL is the new special issue PC Gamer, or if they're going to do it quarterly, or only this once...

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    So any word if they will bring back the web site and offer subscriptions? PCXL almost felt like a parody of other gaming mags. I still have a stack of old issues somewhere around here.

I feel though as if I'm the only one that still buys magazines heh. Gotta have something to read on the crapper :lol:

Ive never understood the desire for people to read things while taking a shit, unless you're horribly constipated every day, it doesn't take more then a couple minutes to do your business and get out, because really, who would want to spend their time relaxing in a bathroom?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Reading while pooping is a luxury.

Because you are forced to be tethered, to one spot, for upwards of five minutes.

I have finished entire series of books in the bathroom, over time.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jinx wrote: »
    I don't know if PCXL is "back" in the traditional sense. This issue is going to be out for 3 months. I don't know if that means PCXL is the new special issue PC Gamer, or if they're going to do it quarterly, or only this once...

quarterly would be nice. They could be much more in depth in the articles and reviews. I don't think magazines can really compete with the internet on speed, so they should go for quality.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The mag cost 9.99 US and 12.99 Canadian, so yes it's mad expensive.

Even so I must have it.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    MastashakeMastashake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is the best news in forever.

Now if only there was a way to buy all the old issues simply for nostalgia's sake.

Mastashake on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    1) by then it isn't news anymore,
    2) I do it every single day on my Blackberry

What I like about magazines is, that there are snippets of information which get me interested in other games or genres. You could argue that the PA G&T board does the same, but magazines -to me- add another layer. It might be that most written game mags in the US (or your country) are publisher whoring advertisment shitfests which aren't worth reading. If so, then more power to you.

Secondly, accessing the internet while using a phone provider is not possible anywhere or it is to slow or to expensive. And no - wifi hotspots aren't always available here. I rather pay a few euros than viewing/paying data transfer costs for a mangled interpretation of a website on a 320x240 screen. (or a newsletter, or a RSS feed)
    Ive never understood the desire for people to read things while taking a shit, unless you're horribly constipated every day, it doesn't take more then a couple minutes to do your business and get out, because really, who would want to spend their time relaxing in a bathroom?

Indeed its a luxery. I personally think it isn't healthy either to squeeze everything out in a timespan of 1 minute. But not every body is the same or operates with/within exactly the same parameters. ;)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FightTest wrote: »

(btw, the frag dolls are average looking girls and I wish faggot video game nerds and reviewers would shut up about them, it's pathetic)
    Lol faggots that are enamored with average looking girls. That reminds me of a classic episode of The Simpsons.

"Dude you just kissed a girl.. That is so gay!"

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but when a group of female players are enamored considerably moreso for their gender than they are for their game playing skills, doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, isn't it a case of blatant sexism, somehting I don't think most women are big fans of?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lol faggots that are enamored with average looking girls. That reminds me of a classic episode of The Simpsons.

Because the term "faggot" in today's world is always used to imply homosexuality and never used as a simple derogatory term intended as a general insult.

Fag.
    I mean, isn't it a case of blatant sexism, somehting I don't think most women are big fans of?

Broads are dumb.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Reading while pooping is a luxury.

Because you are forced to be tethered, to one spot, for upwards of five minutes.

I have finished entire series of books in the bathroom, over time.

This man is a genius.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "I dont know why they call it number 2. it feels so good it sure is number 1 to me" - Louis C.K.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FightTest wrote: »

Because the term "faggot" in today's world is always used to imply homosexuality and never used as a simple derogatory term intended as a general insult.

Fag.
    I mean, isn't it a case of blatant sexism, somehting I don't think most women are big fans of?

Broads are dumb.
    Aww somebody doesn't want to laugh at something that is obviously funny. ;-)

And yes I am a fag thank you very much..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but when a group of female players are enamored considerably moreso for their gender than they are for their game playing skills, doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, isn't it a case of blatant sexism, somehting I don't think most women are big fans of?

Like how Gametrailers and Kotaku can't mention Jade Raymond without tagging 'beautiful' onto her name, as if that's somehow the most important thing about her. It's hard for me to see those PCXL covers and not instantly remember why there used to be a complete lack of girls into games.

That said, I think the FD are kinda different, since they're themselves celebrating the fact that they're girl gamers, rather than just happening to be girl gamers that guys pant over in a vaguely pathetic way.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    that guys pant over in an incredibly pathetic way.

Fixed.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Frag Dolls are different because they're paid to have extremely mediocre gaming skills and claim they are doing it to improve the female image in gaming. Glamour shots and sucking at games really gets girls interested in playing Ubisoft games.

Fall on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I am confused.

Why is Team Fortress 2 listed with Tribes 2 and Halo?

Are you being sarcastic or ignorant? I can't tell.

I'd go with uninformed. I didn't realize Team Fortress 2 had been in development so long.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fall wrote: »
    The Frag Dolls are different because they're paid to have extremely mediocre gaming skills and claim they are doing it to improve the female image in gaming. Glamour shots and sucking at games really gets girls interested in playing Ubisoft games.

I know the Fragdolls got alot of flack within their own community for doing the PCXL photo shoot. Some of their community felt/feel they have "sold out".

In a way I can understand, particularly given that PC Accelerator was always unabashedly proud that the magazine was about two things ... games and hot women accused by some of being almost sexist in it's pursuit of this.

Personally I disagree ... but there were alot of haters, even back then.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, they sold out a long time ago, as soon as I had heard of them. They even came knockin' around here one time acting like they were something because they were females that enjoyed games. No matter how hard the community tried, we couldn't get that bitch to leave.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    well, we'll see how long this lasts

should be fun though

capable heart on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fucking sweet.
    I am one of those people who subscribed to PCXL for the year or so they were actually running. One of my favorite blurbs they did basically said that after System Shock came out, the games that came after can be traced back to SShock like a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

And since I was also in highschool at the time, a mag with girls, video games, and smartass humor was perfection in print.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have nothing of substance to contribute, being eurotrash and all but, except to say that the frag girls are about as useful as wheels on a tomato.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    I have nothing of substance to contribute, being eurotrash and all but, except to say that the frag girls are about as useful as wheels on a tomato.

oh man i lol'd

wheels on a tomato. how fucking surreal!

i completely agree. the fact that some mediocre skill and mediocre appearance players can be elevated to their status just because they are female is a pathetic knock on our industry.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So it's already at the news stands?

I keep trying to look for anyway I can sign up at the site and can't even find it (As was explained earlier in the thread).

Even Amazon lists it as unreleased: PCXL

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man.

I watched the PC Gamer vidcast, and then I went and read the thread started by Rhoulette on the FD forums. A bunch of people whined about this photoshoot and how it somehow harms the integrity of the Frag Dolls.

I'd just like to call those people misogynistic retards.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And now reading back in this thread, I'd just like to say that the Frag Dolls are some of the most down-to-earth gamers/girls/gamer-girls (all three, separate) you can find.

Even if they aren't the most skilled gamers in the world, there is a very male-dominant perception in this industry that needs to be broken, and I think the Frag Dolls are helping move toward that end, which is a moral end.

Drez on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah enough with the girl gamer crap. Just be a gamer, no one really cares if you're a girl who can "kick guys asses in Halo" or something. If you like playing games just do it and stop trying to be gimmicky like those other PMS people. Ughhh.

Sorry to rant but I hate all this gimmicky shit, I'm sure there are plenty of non attractive girl gamers too but you don't see them represented by the dolls or the PMS bimbos because they wouldn't sell the gimmick.

Eh.. it's 6:15am and I'm at work half awake... I know it rambles so forgive me.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah enough with the girl gamer crap. Just be a gamer, no one really cares if you're a girl who can "kick guys asses in Halo" or something. If you like playing games just do it and stop trying to be gimmicky like those other PMS people. Ughhh.

Sorry to rant but I hate all this gimmicky shit, I'm sure there are plenty of non attractive girl gamers too but you don't see them represented by the dolls or the PMS bimbos because they wouldn't sell the gimmick.

Eh.. it's 6:15am and I'm at work half awake... I know it rambles so forgive me.

You know what, though? Ugly-ass guy clans probably wouldn't be represented in the media either. You can blame the media, if you want, but don't blame the girls or the group, who are all rather intelligent and have good attitudes. The media has a bias toward beauty, but that certainly isn't the FD's fault.

There's also nothing wrong with identifying yourself as a part of a community that shares specific character traits, unless we'd like to call cultural/ethnic/gender-specific school/college clubs (not talking about frats or sororities here, really) "bad". I mean, what's the difference between "a clan for girls" or "a clan for people that like Halo." In both instances, you are limiting clan membership on some rather arbitrary criteria. There's nothing worse about a clan that professes being "girl gamers" than a clan that professes their love or skill for Halo.

Drez on
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My problem with stuff like Frag Dolls is if you want it to be normal, accepted behaviour for girls to be treated equally in a certain field, then having a load of second-rate actresses dress up and play isn't going to help. Girl gamers will be normal/seen as normal when they compete in mixed clans, just like anybody else. The thing (or absence of said thing) between your legs really, really shouldn't matter.

I mean, think if, while trying to get more males in to nursing, you had some hairy bugger dress up in a nurse's uniform on the front of "Health care professional monthly". That shit just wouldn't fly.

Edit Reply to post underneath me:

OK well then I guess it would fly :( Oh well another reduction in my faith in mankind. My idea that it's all a load of, albeit well-intentioned, horrible sexism still stands. And I really don't see anyone, neither male nurses nor girl gamers, being inspired by those pictures.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    i'm pretty sure they've done that in the past, for issues of mclean's or time or whatever that focused on male nursing

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    My problem with stuff like Frag Dolls is if you want it to be normal, accepted behaviour for girls to be treated equally in a certain field, then having a load of second-rate actresses dress up and play isn't going to help. Girl gamers will be normal/seen as normal when they compete in mixed clans, just like anybody else. The thing (or absence of said thing) between your legs really, really shouldn't matter.

I mean, think if, while trying to get more males in to nursing, you had some hairy bugger dress up in a nurse's uniform on the front of "Health care professional monthly". That shit just wouldn't fly.

Can you please explain "second-rate actresses"? They are genuine gamers. They don't need to be particularly good at it. They don't need to be experts or win every competition they enter. They are gamers and they are represented as gamers.

So I don't really get "second-rate actresses." They are presenting themselves as they actually are.

You're right in that it doesn't matter whether or not they have a penis. But I'm not the person focusing on that. The people saying that they shouldn't be allowed to:

a) Identify as girls
    b) Dress however they want

Are the ones that are focusing on the fact that they have a vagina. There's nothing wrong with identifying yourself to others at least in part by your gender. The fact that people are taking that identification so severely and focusing on it like it matters is the problem. It's the perception, not the representation. They are like any other group representing gaming, and they happen to be girls. It's nothing sinister, yet people are taking umbrage to it.

Drez on