As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EA Releases Command & Conquer for Free

• LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vathris wrote: »
    FYI there is a NOX online community that is still active, I have played recently online with them, I would post the link but I don't know the legality of their hosting and I don't want a ban.

PM or email me and I will be forever in your debt!

LoneIgadzra on
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    First Ubisoft, then EA? Seriously, what's going on here?

EA is trying to change its image. Ive heard a lot out of there about this. Producing a quality madden, skate, free games and a change in marketing is an attempt to return ea to the old days before they supposedly 'turned evil'

The competition by activision for top spot has made them turn good again.

Also, MOH:Airborne is hot shit. I was all like "oh, great, another WWII game. Another addition to the increasingly crappy number of console MOH games. Woo."

I then downloaded the demo on a whim and proceeded to have my face completely rocked off.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    First Ubisoft, then EA? Seriously, what's going on here?

EA is trying to change its image. Ive heard a lot out of there about this. Producing a quality madden, skate, free games and a change in marketing is an attempt to return ea to the old days before they supposedly 'turned evil'

The competition by activision for top spot has made them turn good again.

Also, MOH:Airborne is hot shit. I was all like "oh, great, another WWII game. Another addition to the increasingly crappy number of console MOH games. Woo."

I then downloaded the demo on a whim and proceeded to have my face completely rocked off.

Where does charging two dollars and fifty cents to max out the player in the newTiger Woods game come into this?

Couscous on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Torrent plz.

rayofash on
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, accourding to the installation document: *Command & Conquer is not online compatible

Hmmmm.

rayofash on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can I play this without the CD burner?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2007

Of course. Go get Daemon Tools.

rayofash on
    edited September 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Of course. Go get Daemon Tools.

Cool, thanks.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Though I have never played any game in the C&C series, this thread has led me to wiki'ing it, and realizing it has a kick-ass compilation, I now intend to get The First Decade.

I'm a sucker for well-made compilations. Expect the rantings of a newly deflowered C&C virgin sometime in the coming weeks.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Though I have never played any game in the C&C series, this thread has led me to wiki'ing it, and realizing it has a kick-ass compilation, I now intend to get The First Decade.

I'm a sucker for well-made compilations. Expect the rantings of a newly deflowered C&C virgin sometime in the coming weeks.

And that there, is why they did this. :P

devoir on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, accourding to the installation document: *Command & Conquer is not online compatible

Hmmmm.

Virtual LAN using Hamachi...?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Hmmmm.

Virtual LAN using Hamachi...?

the patch that makes it work on XP disables LAN.

FyreWulff on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm assuming this is still buggy, though? I remember trying to play this with the Decade pack, and on a lot of the missions, it freezes every time I tried to scroll the map up to a certain spot. I eventually ended up opening up the maps in Notepad, and deleting stuff from the map in that area until it stopped crashing (I think I narrowed it down to certain units or something).

Needless to say, that got annoying really fast, and finally on the final Allied mission, nothing I did would get it to work, so I gave up. It's a pity, I really enjoyed the game otherwise.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    You wouldn't happen to have the Office toolbar, would you? That bug is mentioned somewhere in the patch notes..

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »

And that there, is why they did this. :P

Oh fuck I walked straight into that one. :S

Well whatever, I'm still gonna get it, it's cheap enough and there's enough game in there to fill the time left till Starcraft 2 comes out.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    The .isos were taken down. :?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2007
    I get back home and the downloads have failed.

Damnit, I wish the Opera devs would fix that. I always have to use Getright to grab large files...

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I get back home and the downloads have failed.

Damnit, I wish the Opera devs would fix that. I always have to use Getright to grab large files...

It's not you. I tried the link a while ago and it says the files were not on the server. EA probably pulled them because of extensive traffic.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff on
    edited September 2007
    Nice find. I figured it would only be a matter of time before someone re-hosted it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vathris wrote: »
    FYI there is a NOX online community that is still active, I have played recently online with them, I would post the link but I don't know the legality of their hosting and I don't want a ban.

PM or email me and I will be forever in your debt!

Hey man I sent you a PM with the happy haps lol

BTW SimBen, your avatar is rocken! Way to show some Chrono culture lol.

Vathris on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So can anybody confirm that there is no way to play this online?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you can get a virtual LAN going (through Hamachi, as someone else suggested), then this patch (http://www.understorm.net/thipx/) should work. I've tried it with the Win95 versions of C&C and Red Alert at home on a LAN and can confirm it works beautifully.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i can't get this to install:(
    mounted it in Daemon Tools, set install.exe and setup.exe to Windows 95 compatability, tried running one of them, and i still get the "16 bit Windows Subsystem" error.
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications

i usually just ignore this and go on to something else, cursing my misfortune, but dammit, i want this to work. Any suggestions?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are you using XP or Vista?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited September 2007
    XP. I seem to get this problem a lot whenever i try to run something a little older, so i'm guessing it's a dodgy file on my pc.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God damn not having a CD burner.

What ubisoft games are you guys talking about?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited September 2007
    Use Daemon Tools.

Malkor on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Ubisoft games that were released on Fileplanet. Farcry, Prince of Persia and some others. There should be a thread around for it.

devoir on
  • Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »
    I can't wait for free Covert Ops!
    Yes I can!

The only good Covert Ops mission was the one with 5 bases, and you start out with 1 commando

That mission made the entire pack worth it, though

Is that the one where at the start you have nothing, and the chick goes "reinforcements have arrived", and a chopper drops off a lone commando who then says "time to rock and roll!"?

If so, I laughed so hard at that.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What the... 1 GB for a 1995 game? This could take a while...

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited September 2007
    I started playing and wondered what the fuck was going on when my soldier didn't get a cover bonus for being next to a sandbag!

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    I started playing and wondered what the fuck was going on when my soldier didn't get a cover bonus for being next to a sandbag!

Hint: This came out before Starcraft. Its only competition back then was Warcraft 2. :P

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    !@#$

I just want them to release the whole mess that was C&C Sole Survivor (and servers and sources) for free. That was the most fun computer gaming part of my late childhood, for sure.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2007
    Anyone want to try some games on Hamachi?

Malkor on
  • BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think EA's large download server just said, "Fuck this shit, life isn't worth it" and quit.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vulpine wrote: »
    If you can get a virtual LAN going (through Hamachi, as someone else suggested), then this patch (http://www.understorm.net/thipx/) should work. I've tried it with the Win95 versions of C&C and Red Alert at home on a LAN and can confirm it works beautifully.

So it's actually running with Hamachi? Great, I'm gonna have a LAN party tonight!

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited September 2007
    any suggestions on how i can get this working?

XP with SP2, and it seems to have some kind of compatibility error, even though the installer's set to run in Win95 mode.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vulpine wrote: »

So it's actually running with Hamachi? Great, I'm gonna have a LAN party tonight!

I've only tried it on an actual physical LAN, but since Hamachi emulates one fairly transparently it should work. Since I'm on a Mac I've no way of testing it for certain but I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed all the C&C games up until the point where the missions became hard enough that you'd need to spend 40 minutes harvesting resources to mass enough troops and then just storm them.

I never finished any of them.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif