Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Forum Themed M:tG Card Set 1st Post Updated!!

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
edited November 2005 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Okay, we're making a forums themed Magic: The Gathering core set.

Most of you should be familiar with the game. Well, we've found a program that lets you easily create custom cards. So what we're going to do is create Magic cards themed after forumers, forum events, forum bandwagons, all that sort of shit. The cards need to have useful game effects. They have to be like actual M:tG cards.

Make your cards according to the old, fourth edition era rules set. If you don't know what that means, just make the card and we'll fix it or exclude it if we have to. Prior to rendering and posting, please go to "Edit", "Set Options", "Graphics", and under "Card Style" select "Old Style Cards, Small".

First:
If you're unclear on rules, or the game itself, read this:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tourneyplayer

Second:
Now, go get this program:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/download.html

People, save your source files and MSE files and renders. Keep it all. We might need it down the road. Thanks.

Now there are five colours in M:tG, plus the non-coloured artifacts.
White Land Type cards will be themed after Help/Advice
Green Land Type cards will be themed after Games and Technology
Red Land Type cards will be themed after Debate and Discourse
Black Land Type cards will be themed after SE++
Blue Land Type cards will be themed after the Artist's Corner

Monkey Den themed cards should be Artifacts.

Now, just as Magic colours tend to have certain properties associated with them (illusion with blue, healing and defense with white, direct damage and destruction with red, undead swarms and pestilence with black, poison and natural forces with green), our cards for each colour should be themed after the forum associated with that colour.

Keep the interforum rivalry light hearted. Anyone using this as an opportunity to be a cock towards other forums and other forumers, rather than as part of a fun thing we're all going to do together, will get booted from it and if it gets excessive guilty parties will face jails and bans.

If you're going to make a card for a specific forumer, run it past them first and get their permission. As funny as it might be, cruelty will not fly here.

For the first couple of weeks we're going to just take submissions as they come. LINK YOUR CREATIONS, DO NOT POST INLINE OR IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THIS THREAD.

Then we will disqualify obviously overpowered and unsuitable cards, and we will set quotas for card types to fill out a balanced core set.

We will later do themed expansions if this takes off. For now let's get cracking.

Imran's HIGHLY Important Program Notes:
Imran wrote:
Some notes on the program:

Unfortunately, it sticks a little "Created by:" thing at the bottom of every card and the default name is some guy who I'm relatively sure is either fictional or got beat up a lot on grade school. To change this, go to Edit -> Set Preferences and change the name. This has to be done everytime you close the program, so if you have a problem with the name, make sure to change it.

Secondly, to save an image, once you're finished, click "Render" at the top. It will pop-open a new window with your finished card. There's a save button right there that will only save the file as a bitmap. Yeah, bitmaps are huge, but pretty much any image program will convert them to JPG (without any quality loss) easily enough.

That should more or less be it. Have fun with it.

To upload files to the group FTP account for this project:
PikaPuff wrote:
OK! Everythings working (I think).

to upload: [url]ftp://pamtg:wangwang@guilder.dreamhost.com[/url] (IE is easier to use than firefox, sorry peeps. or just get your own ftp client program)

to view files: http://www.vgrants.com/pamtg

The D&D contingent has an important message:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190107
The fine folks over at D&D are getting all the red cards in order, any and all red/D&D cards or ideas can be shuffled over there, and they will be dealt with in due time.

You may think it'd be helpful to compile an MSE and make your own cuts, and "fix" cards, and balance things, but it won't be. Don't do it. If you do it, don't post it here. I'll delete your posts, as will the other mods. Unless you have been asked to, and are a part of the committee that will be formed for this task, you are not helping, you are adding unnecessary confusion and should find a more productive way to contribute: Like making more cards.

Once we get around 200 solid cards, I'm going to get a few of you who've expressed interest to help me sort these out. We're going to fix any broken cards, correct grammar and so forth, and get stats for the number of cards of each colour, number of each type within each colour, and so forth. Then we'll know what we lack, and I'll lock this thread and push it to AFK for safe keeping.

Then we'll start a new one, with quotas and goals in mind to round out the set properly.

Pheezer on
IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Personally, I'd shuffle the color orientations a bit;

D&D/AC/Writers' Block = Blue, as it's the most intellectual and artistic of colors.
    G&T = Artifact, pretty self-explanatory.
    SE++ = Red, as there is no greater force of chaos on this domain.
    Linksville = Black, as it's damn near a graveyard. :P

That does still leave green open, but I can't really think of a forum here that would correlate to its ideals. One of the MtG.com editors did a little series called 'The Colors of Magic" that dealt with the 'personality' of each color. I'll see if I can dig it up.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited June 2005

D&D/AC/Writers' Block = Blue, as it's the most intellectual and artistic of colors.

That does still leave green open, but I can't really think of a forum here that would correlate to its ideals. One of the MtG.com editors did a little series called 'The Colors of Magic" that dealt with the 'personality' of each color. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Shush. My way will be more fun.
    Okay, I'll shuffle the AC to blue. D&D stays red, it's like SE, but less SE like. Red and Black have that relationship.

G&T can be green because green has a lot of horde themed cards, and we have a large volume of rather green users.

• thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited June 2005

Writers Block= green...? *shrugs*

I'v done a few mock-up cards, and I gotta say, the editor is easy as fuck to use. Amazingly easy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Some notes on the program:

Unfortunately, it sticks a little "Created by:" thing at the bottom of every card and the default name is some guy who I'm relatively sure is either fictional or got beat up a lot on grade school. To change this, go to Edit -> Set Preferences and change the name. This has to be done everytime you close the program, so if you have a problem with the name, make sure to change it.

Secondly, to save an image, once you're finished, click "Render" at the top. It will pop-open a new window with your finished card. There's a save button right there that will only save the file as a bitmap. Yeah, bitmaps are huge, but pretty much any image program will convert them to JPG (without any quality loss) easily enough.

That should more or less be it. Have fun with it.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited June 2005
    thorpe wrote:

Writers Block= green...? *shrugs*

I'v done a few mock-up cards, and I gotta say, the editor is easy as fuck to use. Amazingly easy.

The WB, Comic forum and PAX forum are all too new/too small to get their own colours. They'll share an expansion, and each one will have cards in a variety of colours, as they function as meeting grounds of sorts for PA users that align with the basic colours.

edited June 2005
    omgboomlol wrote:

Minor deviations from the set format will be fiiiiiine by me. It only makes sense that he'd be associated with the water element.

Except:
    It needs to have a game effect. Like these cards need to actually be useful so that they could in theory be played in game.

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I'll get in on this. The card making that is. This will be my one post that I'll edit all of my cards into, that way searching through the thread won't be a bother.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • ceresceres Just your problem OoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2005
    This program is a .exe, so unfortunately I can't use it. I can throw in some ideas though.

I've got my own life and I've got my own plans
    I hope you understand, and like the way that I am
  • ZclyhZclyh Registered User
    edited June 2005
    So, can we still create cards based on little thing that we often bring up? Example: Zim and Soviet Russia stuff?

edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    So, can we still create cards based on little thing that we often bring up? Example: Zim and Soviet Russia stuff?

Yes. Try to associate forum bandwagons to their originating forum colour. For instance, a white SOI card wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, right?

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Man, what?[spoiler:1a449cd388]This is actually pretty awesome.[/spoiler:1a449cd388]

l8kt.png
    edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Yes. Try to associate forum bandwagons to their originating forum colour. For instance, a white SOI card wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, right?
    Awesome. But I'll have to do some research on the rules of MTG and stuff.

Another thought: what if we aren't really good at creating the actual cards? can we throw out our suggestions so someone else can create said card (that way, all rules and effects would be correct)?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Space is the Place Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Ooh, this sounds like a lot of fun.

edited June 2005
    I'm getting an error when tring to run the program.

Component 'mscomctl.ocx' not currently registered: file is missing or invalid

Edit - Nevermind, just saw the problem.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Awesome. But I'll have to do some research on the rules of MTG and stuff.

Another thought: what if we aren't really good at creating the actual cards? can we throw out our suggestions so someone else can create said card (that way, all rules and effects would be correct)?

Why not? I see no reason whatsoever why collaborative efforts along those lines wouldn't be appropriate.

• ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    ceres wrote:
    This program is a .exe, so unfortunately I can't use it. I can throw in some ideas though.
    You can just talk to someone who can make the card for you and they'll give you credit.

Hit me up on AIM if you want me to make any for you.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited June 2005
    I'm extremely confused as to how, if at all, this software works.

Among other things, there doesn't seem to be any way to (1) Change colors, (2) Add text, or (3) Do anything.

Edit: Nevermind.

sig.gif
    edited June 2005
    Example card.

Oh shit, I just realized a minor rules problem with the way the second part is phrased now. I'll fix it when I get back.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Why not? I see no reason whatsoever why collaborative efforts along those lines wouldn't be appropriate.
    Very cool, since the program doesn't seem to be working for some of of (myself included).

Now, a concern that I have is this: we know that some forumers are going to be made into cards, and seeing as there are a lot of people who want themselves (grammar problem) made into a card, how are we going to work around this little problem? And should we have a designated person/s handle the forumer cards?

edited June 2005
    That's fucking awesome.

- @Ludious
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited June 2005
    ...yeah.

I think I'm going to forego this. I have absolutely no idea what most of these fields mean.

sig.gif
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Very cool, since the program doesn't seem to be working for some of of (myself included).

Now, a concern that I have is this: we know that some forumers are going to be made into cards, and seeing as there are a lot of people who want themselves (grammar problem) made into a card, how are we going to work around this little problem? And should we have a designated person/s handle the forumer cards?

We'll just let it happens as it happens. If there're four pheezers, I'll pick which three go on the disqualified list and which one stays. If there're 8 Zclyh's, you'd choose which 7 are booted. The forumer in question will choose, pending the ruling of our rules lawyers who'll judge if a card is inappropriate based on whether or not it violates the rules. Any cards which do that will be automatically disqualified.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The forumer in question will choose, pending the ruling of our rules lawyers who'll judge if a card is inappropriate based on whether or not it violates the rules. Any cards which do that will be automatically disqualified.
    Unless it's just a minor phrasing error or issue that can be changed with slight alteration of the card text.

Stuff like "1G: destroy target creature" is right out.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The forumer in question will choose, pending the ruling of our rules lawyers who'll judge if a card is inappropriate based on whether or not it violates the rules. Any cards which do that will be automatically disqualified.
    Unless it's just a minor phrasing error or issue that can be changed with slight alteration of the card text.

Stuff like "1G: destroy target creature" is right out.

Exactly.

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    So if we made a card for a forumer, would it make sense to use their avatar? That's probably a dumb question.

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
    edited June 2005
    ShimSham wrote:
    So if we made a card for a forumer, would it make sense to use their avatar? That's probably a dumb question.

It's really up to you, but yes, generally.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

We'll just let it happens as it happens. If there're four pheezers, I'll pick which three go on the disqualified list and which one stays. If there're 8 Zclyh's, you'd choose which 7 are booted. The forumer in question will choose, pending the ruling of our rules lawyers who'll judge if a card is inappropriate based on whether or not it violates the rules. Any cards which do that will be automatically disqualified.
    Okay, I'm sorry to bug you again, pheezer, but you just made me think of something. Should people PM the forumer (whose card is being made) before actually making the card?

edited June 2005
    Are we going for the old style or the new style? I prefer the old style, but whatever gets your preference.

l8kt.png
    edited June 2005
    How do you insert graphics into the card text for things such as colored mana, colorless mana in various amounts, the variable amount of mana symbol, and the tap symbol?

edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Okay, I'm sorry to bug you again, pheezer, but you just made me think of something. Should people PM the forumer (whose card is being made) before actually making the card?

That would be polite, but if you're relatively sure it won't be a problem, and your thread isn't called "TOTAL JACKASS FAGGOT" and has my picture on it, you'll be fine and the worst that'll happen is that your card won't make the official list. If you start making threads to specifically mock people without making sure it's cool with them first, expect to get in trouble for it.

edited June 2005
    Chen wrote:
    Are we going for the old style or the new style? I prefer the old style, but whatever gets your preference.

Old style. 4th Edition era.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Chen wrote:

Old style. 4th Edition era.
    Cool. You better work on an expension symbol too.

l8kt.png
    edited June 2005
    Awesome. Thanks for answering my questions Pheezer. I appreciate it.

Also, anyone who makes the forumer cards, use whatever avatar they are most known for. There are quite a few forumers that change their avatars a quite often or have rotating avatars (alpha and Kilogre come to mind). Pick one if you can, or ask people for suggestions on which to use. And I don't mean to sound like a dick, but try to pick well known forumers, and don't forget to ask a person for their permission to use their likeness for a card.

edited June 2005
    Something to keep in mind about the colors is that they are each allied to 2 others and enemies to the remaining 2. White often has cards that have protection from black or red, green doesn't like blue and black, etc.

It's basically:

White: Likes Green and Blue, hates Black and Red
    Blue: Likes White and Black, hates Red and Green.
    Black: Likes Blue and Red, hates Green and White.
    Red: Likes Black and Green, hates White and Blue.
    Green: Likes Red and White, hates Blue and Black.

It isn't a huge deal, but it's basically the traditional rivalries between the colors.

edited June 2005
    So I made a card just to test the water, and uh... I can't log into Photobucket.

- @Ludious
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I can't get the program to work, for some odd reason. But what is the recommended size of images that the style needs. I was going to work on some images and such but I'd rather not have to resize them, once I can get it to work, to avoid stretching.

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
    edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    So I made a card just to test the water, and uh... I can't log into Photobucket.
    Send it to me, bro. I'll host it.

edited June 2005
    How do you insert graphics into the card text for things such as colored mana, colorless mana in various amounts, the variable amount of mana symbol, and the tap symbol?
    Is there any way, or will we have to do something ugly like " (2)(G)(G), Tap: "