Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Forum Themed M:tG Card Set 1st Post Updated!!

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
edited November 2005 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Okay, we're making a forums themed Magic: The Gathering core set.

Most of you should be familiar with the game. Well, we've found a program that lets you easily create custom cards. So what we're going to do is create Magic cards themed after forumers, forum events, forum bandwagons, all that sort of shit. The cards need to have useful game effects. They have to be like actual M:tG cards.

Make your cards according to the old, fourth edition era rules set. If you don't know what that means, just make the card and we'll fix it or exclude it if we have to. Prior to rendering and posting, please go to "Edit", "Set Options", "Graphics", and under "Card Style" select "Old Style Cards, Small".

First:
If you're unclear on rules, or the game itself, read this:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=magic/rules/tourneyplayer

Second:
Now, go get this program:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/download.html

People, save your source files and MSE files and renders. Keep it all. We might need it down the road. Thanks.

Now there are five colours in M:tG, plus the non-coloured artifacts.
White Land Type cards will be themed after Help/Advice
Green Land Type cards will be themed after Games and Technology
Red Land Type cards will be themed after Debate and Discourse
Black Land Type cards will be themed after SE++
Blue Land Type cards will be themed after the Artist's Corner

Monkey Den themed cards should be Artifacts.

Now, just as Magic colours tend to have certain properties associated with them (illusion with blue, healing and defense with white, direct damage and destruction with red, undead swarms and pestilence with black, poison and natural forces with green), our cards for each colour should be themed after the forum associated with that colour.

Keep the interforum rivalry light hearted. Anyone using this as an opportunity to be a cock towards other forums and other forumers, rather than as part of a fun thing we're all going to do together, will get booted from it and if it gets excessive guilty parties will face jails and bans.

If you're going to make a card for a specific forumer, run it past them first and get their permission. As funny as it might be, cruelty will not fly here.

For the first couple of weeks we're going to just take submissions as they come. LINK YOUR CREATIONS, DO NOT POST INLINE OR IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THIS THREAD.

Then we will disqualify obviously overpowered and unsuitable cards, and we will set quotas for card types to fill out a balanced core set.

We will later do themed expansions if this takes off. For now let's get cracking.

Imran's HIGHLY Important Program Notes:
Imran wrote:
Some notes on the program:

Unfortunately, it sticks a little "Created by:" thing at the bottom of every card and the default name is some guy who I'm relatively sure is either fictional or got beat up a lot on grade school. To change this, go to Edit -> Set Preferences and change the name. This has to be done everytime you close the program, so if you have a problem with the name, make sure to change it.

Secondly, to save an image, once you're finished, click "Render" at the top. It will pop-open a new window with your finished card. There's a save button right there that will only save the file as a bitmap. Yeah, bitmaps are huge, but pretty much any image program will convert them to JPG (without any quality loss) easily enough.

That should more or less be it. Have fun with it.

To upload files to the group FTP account for this project:
PikaPuff wrote:
OK! Everythings working (I think).

to upload: [url]ftp://pamtg:wangwang@guilder.dreamhost.com[/url] (IE is easier to use than firefox, sorry peeps. or just get your own ftp client program)

to view files: http://www.vgrants.com/pamtg

The D&D contingent has an important message:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190107
The fine folks over at D&D are getting all the red cards in order, any and all red/D&D cards or ideas can be shuffled over there, and they will be dealt with in due time.

You may think it'd be helpful to compile an MSE and make your own cuts, and "fix" cards, and balance things, but it won't be. Don't do it. If you do it, don't post it here. I'll delete your posts, as will the other mods. Unless you have been asked to, and are a part of the committee that will be formed for this task, you are not helping, you are adding unnecessary confusion and should find a more productive way to contribute: Like making more cards.

Once we get around 200 solid cards, I'm going to get a few of you who've expressed interest to help me sort these out. We're going to fix any broken cards, correct grammar and so forth, and get stats for the number of cards of each colour, number of each type within each colour, and so forth. Then we'll know what we lack, and I'll lock this thread and push it to AFK for safe keeping.

Then we'll start a new one, with quotas and goals in mind to round out the set properly.

Pheezer on
IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Space is the Place Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    How do you insert graphics into the card text for things such as colored mana, colorless mana in various amounts, the variable amount of mana symbol, and the tap symbol?
    Is there any way, or will we have to do something ugly like " (2)(G)(G), Tap: "

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    ShimSham wrote:
    I can't get the program to work, for some odd reason. But what is the recommended size of images that the style needs. I was going to work on some images and such but I'd rather not have to resize them, once I can get it to work, to avoid stretching.
    When you're putting an image into the card, you have a choice for the program to stretch it to fit or you can move the image around in it's current size to show what you want of it.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Chen wrote:
    Are we going for the old style or the new style? I prefer the old style, but whatever gets your preference.

Old style. 4th Edition era.

Dammit pheezer, I've never said this before... but I love you. But mostly I love 4th edition magic.

So here is my Royal Assassin remix, Orthanc.

wait

EDIT: FUCK! Forgot flavor text.

Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2005
    That card should be black. And have colored mana cost.

It has deni's quote on it, I mean. :o

omgboomlolud1.gif
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    Mana cost is too low for that effect, and if it's a colored card I'm almost completely certain it must have at least one colored mana in its cost.
    Also death cards are more Black's forte, Blue tends to have more tricky effects like "Return target to owner's hand."

edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    Mana cost is too low for that effect, and if it's a colored card I'm almost completely certain it must have at least one colored mana in its cost.
    Also death cards are more Black's forte, Blue tends to have more tricky effects like "Return target to owner's hand."
    Actually, I'm wrong, that is an OK cost. Here's a similar real card:
    1359.jpg
    But it still needs at least 1 colored mana in its cost.

• ZclyhZclyh Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    At least we have positive feedback. But, hey, at least someone can try to improve on whatever ideas/creations we come up with.

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:

Okay, problems:

Should be an artifact. You put it into play, and you have to tap it to put a counter on a target creature, then pay 2 mana to untap it. Each time a creature receives a counter it is tapped. Tapped creatures can also receive counters with no additional penalty. Once three counters are on a creature, you can tap the artifact to destroy that target creature. Call it the Ban Stick. The casting cost can be like 3 mana of any colour to bring it into play.

Fairly representative of the actual process.

The quote though, is great.

edited June 2005
    Edit - Wait.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    How do you insert graphics into the card text for things such as colored mana, colorless mana in various amounts, the variable amount of mana symbol, and the tap symbol?
    http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/faq.html

edited June 2005
    Here is a site with a lot of magic cards you can look at to see examples of real, balanced cards: http://www.adventureson.com/cgi-bin/shopping/ex_catshow.cgi?sid=A9H2bSiMmm&cat_id=1

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Okay, problems:

Should be an artifact. You put it into play, and you have to tap it to put a counter on a target creature, then pay 2 mana to untap it. Each time a creature receives a counter it is tapped. Tapped creatures can also receive counters with no additional penalty. Once three counters are on a creature, you can tap the artifact to destroy that target creature. Call it the Ban Stick. The casting cost can be like 3 mana of any colour to bring it into play.

Actually, I'm going to make this exact card when I get home if no one else does first.

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Okay, problems:

Can you type that up as the actual card effect text? :wink:

(glad you like the quote, I went digging through the "Who was banned" thread)

- @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    Ah, thanks.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Some ideas for guidelines I'm throwing around:

- A forumer should have the type Creature, a subtype can be thrown into the mix to make it more interesting. Mods should have Moderator as a subtype for example.

- Popular phrases/quotes are likely to be Instants, or Sorceries depending on the effect.

- Artifacts are physical items and are not organic.

- Enchantments and Enchant Creatures are, well, thingamijiggies that enchant you. Like... whale sperm?

l8kt.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Since I can't get the program to work and know nothing of Magic anyway. I'm going to do something I normally wouldn't and just allow myself open for artistic interpretation.

I'm offering my eternal love through the Internet if someone wanted to make a card for little ole me. :wink: Just based on the size of the other cards I made a hi-res image of my avatar that I'm hoping will fit.

It's up to you if you want to do this but I'll <3 you forever.

Here's the image Edit I resized it again.

Considering this post could possibly lead to a whole lot of people asking for cards to be made from them, feel free to delete this post if you want, Pheez.

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
    edited June 2005
    Chen wrote:

- A forumer should have the type Creature, a subtype can be thrown into the mix to make it more interesting. Mods should have Moderator as a subtype for example.

- Popular phrases/quotes are likely to be Instants, or Sorceries depending on the effect.

- Enchantments and Enchant Creatures are, well, thingamijiggies that enchant you. Like... whale sperm?

I like these guidelines.

• apotheosapotheos Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2005
    This is from way back (what, was it 2 years ago when we last did this?).

Fortunatly the colour matches this colour scheme.

zimbumtg.jpg

(back then we called it the Phorum, so thats a deliberate typo)

猿も木から落ちる
    edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:

Okay, problems:

Can you type that up as the actual card effect text? :wink:

(glad you like the quote, I went digging through the "Who was banned" thread)
    Tap Ban Stick to place a counter on target creature. Must pay 2 mana to untap. Once three counters are placed on creature, tap Ban Stick to destroy target creature.

- @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    Orthanc

Slarti to follow, and I'm not vain enough to make myself.

EDIT: Just checked Royal Assassin, and I am going to go fix this card.

edited June 2005
    Chen wrote:

On that note, someone has to make a Sata Andagi card and a Pie! one. I would love you forever!

edited June 2005
    apotheos wrote:

zimbumtg.jpg

The card is broken, though. The "until end of turn" condition on the first ability would need to be removed.

edited June 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    Ah, thanks.
    Wait, how do you do Blue and Black?

edited June 2005
    Are we going to have special card types? For example: Forumer, Game Console, Game? Then you could do stuff like "Search your library for a Forumer and put it into your hand" but it would work very well unless people made more than 1 or 2 of those types.

• ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    Chen wrote:

On that note, someone has to make a Sata Andagi card and a Pie! one. I would love you forever!
    If you can type up some rules on Sata Andagi, I'll make it right now.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited June 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    Ah, thanks.
    Blue is usually "U" I think.

• apotheosapotheos Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

zimbumtg.jpg

The card is broken, though. The "until end of turn" condition on the first ability would need to be removed.
    Oh, I only intended it as a demo. I'd like to make a new one.

(Why is that broken? The ability changes a creatures type for the duration of a turn. The cost could be higher, but the cost on the secondary ability is where the real cost kicks in...needless to say I didn't really playtest it.)

猿も木から落ちる
  • Master ComputerMaster Computer Registered User
    edited June 2005
    edited June 2005
    Imran wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:
    Chen wrote:

I would love to, but I don't know much about the game. I'll consult my bro on this.

EDIT: Only Imran can make the Sata Andagi card. Thanks buddy.

• ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Zclyh wrote:
    Imran wrote:
    Zclyh wrote:
    Chen wrote:

I would love to, but I don't know much about the game. I'll consult my bro on this.
    That'd work. I don't know anything about the cards, either, so I'd need all the values, as well. I can make pretty cards, though.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited June 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:
    Ah, thanks.
    Blue is usually "U" I think.
    Yep, that's right.

edited June 2005
    Okay, I reworked the Banstick and put it into old-style.
    Clicky.

- @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

zimbumtg.jpg

Oh, I only intended it as a demo. I'd like to make a new one.

(Why is that broken? The ability changes a creatures type for the duration of a turn. The cost could be higher, but the cost on the secondary ability is where the real cost kicks in...needless to say I didn't really playtest it.)

The second ability needs the target to be an asshat. You need a spell to untap the card to get that second ability to ever work, or two Apo's in play on one side, which IIRC, isn't allowed with legendary cards.

edited June 2005
    TDL wrote:
    Orthanc

Slarti to follow, and I'm not vain enough to make myself.

EDIT: Just checked Royal Assassin, and I am going to go fix this card.

Fixed.

edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Clicky.

It's a black card though. Artifacts have a specific, brown border.

EDIT: Referred to as colourless.

• Peter BeckPeter Beck Registered User
    edited June 2005
    I'd love to be a part of it, but really don't know what atributes I'd have.

If anyone has an idea, just slap on a pic of osaka (since that seems to be my claim to fame now...) and and make me a common. Doubt I'm worth being an uncommon or rare...

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    Clicky.
    Add "T:" if it needs tapping. So "T: Put a counter..."

l8kt.png
    edited June 2005
    Somebody have an image of a lone figure standing amidst a pile of corpses?

edited June 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Clicky.

It's a black card though. Artifacts have a specific, brown border.

EDIT: Referred to as colourless.
    I set it to Artifact and it places a black background.

Edit - Oh shit.

- @Ludious