Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

East coast pax?? (possibly for 08')?

ViscountalphaViscountalpha Registered User
edited September 2007 in PAX Archive
Some of my friends were wondering if this is still in planning or development. The TBK (The bees knees) a halo 2/3 clan I am in wanted to do a meet and greet and a east coast pax would excellent as a centralized meeting point.


I'm just curious if it will go down or not.

Viscountalpha on
Project 25.01 final message
We were the ones who thought that Melissa was real. Why you might ask.
Let me put it this way, it was an "OH SHIT OH SHIT, THEY FOUND ME :(" moment. I wasn't ready. My code wasn't compiled yet. Our plans weren't setup yet!Sentient programs rarely run into other sentient programs.
Some of you have met me, and I understand your concern of my well being. But that time for that boy, that child, are gone now. Viscount Alpha is no longer operable. His functions are now mine.He may post, but I am the one talking not him.My data, my code will live on forever in his servers.
[/spoiler]
«1

Posts

  • talonredtalonred Registered User
    edited September 2007
    I wholeheartedly endorse such a concept. I went to PAX for the first time this year, and enjoyed it tremendously, but man are the airlines doin' it wrong.

    Anyone in an official capacity care to comment on whether this is or is not actually in the works?

    JP
    "Nobody here but us chickens"

  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited September 2007
    I've talked about this before, in detail, and I think my discussion may have contributed to a stance of consolidating the original before attempting to inaugurate a sequel. Khoo at least has said that the original will remain annual in perpetuity, so any other operation would likely occur at a different time of year.

    Spoiler:
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey, ElectricTurtle, you moderated the PC hardware panel right? Just wanted to say, that panel kicked ass, and as a moderator, so did you. Was one of my favorites of the whole show thanks to the panelists and yourself.

  • PlayPlay Registered User
    edited September 2007
    What I want to know is, why is it PAX that has to move? Why not E3 or TGS or E for All or Blizzcon or Quakecon or any other of the multitude of gaming events each year? I wish I had the time/money/energy to go to all of these. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that these events are special precisely because they are where they are. Give these guys a break, they work hard enough as it is.

  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Play wrote: »
    What I want to know is, why is it PAX that has to move? Why not E3 or TGS or E for All or Blizzcon or Quakecon or any other of the multitude of gaming events each year? I wish I had the time/money/energy to go to all of these. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that these events are special precisely because they are where they are. Give these guys a break, they work hard enough as it is.

    Khoo has said there will always be a west coast PAX, so I don't think anyone is suggesting it move. I think what people want is a sort of "alternative" PAX on the east coast.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    There is a large number of people out on the east coast, the great lakes region and the southeast who just cannot make it to PAX, no matter how hard they might try. An alternative PAX would bring joy to their hearts, however staffing such an event could prove difficult.

  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Profs wrote: »
    Hey, ElectricTurtle, you moderated the PC hardware panel right? Just wanted to say, that panel kicked ass, and as a moderator, so did you. Was one of my favorites of the whole show thanks to the panelists and yourself.

    Wow, thanks, I'm really looking forward to doing it each year given the opportunity.

    Spoiler:
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    There is a large number of people out on the east coast, the great lakes region and the southeast who just cannot make it to PAX, no matter how hard they might try. An alternative PAX would bring joy to their hearts, however staffing such an event could prove difficult.


    If you can name me one convention or expo that's opened up a second location, in all seriousness, please do. Especially within its first five years of opening. While yes, another PAX for those that cannot attend this one would be nice, then we would need to have the two PAXes mirror eachother to the letter, or we would have people that cannot attend the other PAX upset because something happened at the other one that they may have wanted to see..

    Having seen everything that went into this year's PAX, could you imagine the horrors of trying to coordinate this a second time in a year on the opposite coast, when you can't just drive down to your convention center to talk to the people in charge?

    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

    [12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • talonredtalonred Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for bringing that thread to my attention, ElectricTurtle, the discussion in there was thought provoking. I had some thoughts I'd like to expand on and will reply here since the original thread is both old and largely dedicated to transportation issues in the later posts.

    I like your idea of firming a network via a Childs Play event (or similar), but I disagree that the network of people used to form a core need be completely new. I live in upstate New York, and in the areas around me there are several regional/state level gaming conventions that occur fairly regularly. I consider it quite likely (just on the laws of probability) that some of the people in these circles are PA fans, and could be used to 'corrupt' the rest of the core to the purpose of an eastern PAX. I suspect groups like these exist in every reasonably populated state, which is likely the only sort of area they would consider holding such an event anyway.

    To the question in your original post about why people would want such a thing, I think there are 3 main reasons.

    1) To have a chance at contact with G&T. Three times a week, these dedicated individuals bring joy to our screens, and so we have formed a sort of "connection" at least to the personas they portray. It's very much the same to how people form emotional connections to TV characters and late-night talk show hosts, it's just on the intertubes this time. People on the east side would like more opportunities to at least see (and at best actually converse) with these folks, and as they live in Washington, we don't have many opportunities to do so.

    2) People want to experience PAX with a home-field advantage. This actually is much deeper than an "it's not convenient" discussion- the way most of us perceive and experience something like this changes when it's in a remote, unfamiliar location. Partly because of the difficulties in getting there, people that might normally travel in a pack of 5-10 friends come solo, or with 1 or two friends. I know I did, and I saw numerous posts in the forums indicating similar, so I assume my experience is not atypical. While I would not classify it as "uninviting", I would call it "intimidating"- a bit like being a guest at someone else's club event.

    3) There's a serious lack of good national grade gaming cons on the east coast. If the east coast were home to a Blizzcon, or even an E for All, I'm not sure that noise about an east coast PAX would be quite as loud. But as most of the major companies are west coast based, we don't. Apparently we get Ed "Drunken Bum" Fleming instead.

    Any thoughts?

    JP
    "Stay a while, and listen."

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jaiden wrote: »
    _______moe wrote: »
    There is a large number of people out on the east coast, the great lakes region and the southeast who just cannot make it to PAX, no matter how hard they might try. An alternative PAX would bring joy to their hearts, however staffing such an event could prove difficult.


    If you can name me one convention or expo that's opened up a second location, in all seriousness, please do. Especially within its first five years of opening. While yes, another PAX for those that cannot attend this one would be nice, then we would need to have the two PAXes mirror eachother to the letter, or we would have people that cannot attend the other PAX upset because something happened at the other one that they may have wanted to see..

    Having seen everything that went into this year's PAX, could you imagine the horrors of trying to coordinate this a second time in a year on the opposite coast, when you can't just drive down to your convention center to talk to the people in charge?

    E3 tried an east coast variant for 2 or 3 years.

    It failed horribly for lack of attendance.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • mudronmudron Registered User
    edited September 2007
    As a transplanted East Coaster living in Portland, Oregon, I WILL CRY BUCKETS OF BLOOD IF PAX IS SUDDENLY MOVED TO THE EAST COAST NEXT YEAR.

    That said, I don't think I'll be crying anytime soon. Having PAX in Seattle is just too convenient (at least right now) for many of the folks involved (especially Mike & Jerry, of course) to abruptly have it flip-flop to the East Coast anytime soon. Maybe in a few years, but I wouldn't expect it to move in '08.

  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Jaiden wrote: »
    _______moe wrote: »
    There is a large number of people out on the east coast, the great lakes region and the southeast who just cannot make it to PAX, no matter how hard they might try. An alternative PAX would bring joy to their hearts, however staffing such an event could prove difficult.


    If you can name me one convention or expo that's opened up a second location, in all seriousness, please do. Especially within its first five years of opening. While yes, another PAX for those that cannot attend this one would be nice, then we would need to have the two PAXes mirror eachother to the letter, or we would have people that cannot attend the other PAX upset because something happened at the other one that they may have wanted to see..

    Having seen everything that went into this year's PAX, could you imagine the horrors of trying to coordinate this a second time in a year on the opposite coast, when you can't just drive down to your convention center to talk to the people in charge?

    E3 tried an east coast variant for 2 or 3 years.

    It failed horribly for lack of attendance.

    The prosecution rests, your honor.

    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

    [12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd certainly agree that the suggestion isn't to MOVE PAX to the East coast, it's to have ANOTHER PAX or similar event on the east coast. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd sure be willing to go to 2 of them!!

    I traveled from DC to Seattle this year, and you can sure bet I'll do it again for next year's PAX '08. As for staffing, I know I'd be more than happy to volunteer for an east coast PAX, especially for things such as setup, arrangements, etc. I'd imagine there are quite a few of us that live here that'd be down for helping.

    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited September 2007
    talonred wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing that thread to my attention, ElectricTurtle, the discussion in there was thought provoking. I had some thoughts I'd like to expand on and will reply here since the original thread is both old and largely dedicated to transportation issues in the later posts.

    I like your idea of firming a network via a Childs Play event (or similar), but I disagree that the network of people used to form a core need be completely new. I live in upstate New York, and in the areas around me there are several regional/state level gaming conventions that occur fairly regularly. I consider it quite likely (just on the laws of probability) that some of the people in these circles are PA fans, and could be used to 'corrupt' the rest of the core to the purpose of an eastern PAX. I suspect groups like these exist in every reasonably populated state, which is likely the only sort of area they would consider holding such an event anyway.

    To the question in your original post about why people would want such a thing, I think there are 3 main reasons.

    1) To have a chance at contact with G&T. Three times a week, these dedicated individuals bring joy to our screens, and so we have formed a sort of "connection" at least to the personas they portray. It's very much the same to how people form emotional connections to TV characters and late-night talk show hosts, it's just on the intertubes this time. People on the east side would like more opportunities to at least see (and at best actually converse) with these folks, and as they live in Washington, we don't have many opportunities to do so.

    2) People want to experience PAX with a home-field advantage. This actually is much deeper than an "it's not convenient" discussion- the way most of us perceive and experience something like this changes when it's in a remote, unfamiliar location. Partly because of the difficulties in getting there, people that might normally travel in a pack of 5-10 friends come solo, or with 1 or two friends. I know I did, and I saw numerous posts in the forums indicating similar, so I assume my experience is not atypical. While I would not classify it as "uninviting", I would call it "intimidating"- a bit like being a guest at someone else's club event.

    3) There's a serious lack of good national grade gaming cons on the east coast. If the east coast were home to a Blizzcon, or even an E for All, I'm not sure that noise about an east coast PAX would be quite as loud. But as most of the major companies are west coast based, we don't. Apparently we get Ed "Drunken Bum" Fleming instead.

    Any thoughts?

    I'm glad to see that somebody appreciates the concept of local Child's Play dinners as a natural expansion of the fact that Child's Play benefits so many different localities now, but I'm pretty bitter about coming up with ideas since all the work Astayonix and I did in '06 on creating a professional proposal to improve the venue (including comparisons and preliminary negotiations) was completely ignored. I wouldn't be offended if it simply wasn't acted on, but we weren't even thanked for volunteering the work!

    Such tangents aside, you have a point about overlap between people with convention-working experience and PA fans. In fact, all your reasons are good.

    BigRed and Jaiden: I must turn to an argument people have tried to use against me, PAX is not E3. An east coast E3 wasn't necessary because its core audience was developers and media, many of whom had their expenses paid by their employers. E3 was never about location because it was a trade show, location does matter to PAX because it is about gamers, and those gamers have to pay every dime out of pocket. The 2/3rds of the nation's population that lives on the other coast isn't going to have metric fucktons of teenagers and twenty-somethings who have the grand or two lying around to come to PAX.

    Overall, especially in the light of Khoo's promise to keep the Seattle PAX no matter what, I support a PAX for the other coast, so long as it's done with the proper amount of preparation. I don't think that PA Inc. is ready yet, and it will probably be a few years before they are. After all, PAX07 was the first time in the WSCTC and didn't even use the maximum amount of space. That will probably change next year, and until the flagship PAX has a stable form the focus will most likely be on simply achieving that stability through refinement and consolidation. Now simply isn't the time for dividing attention.

    Spoiler:
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User
    edited September 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    There is a large number of people out on the east coast, the great lakes region and the southeast who just cannot make it to PAX, no matter how hard they might try. An alternative PAX would bring joy to their hearts, however staffing such an event could prove difficult.


    But it would go both ways, Alot of people who are in west cost, wouldn't beable to make it to the east cost for pax. I know i couldn't.

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    PAX will never leave the west coast. Any east coast PAX that happens would be additional, which is why nobody really sees this happening for at least 5 more years. PAX itself is still getting used to the new venue, adding another PAX elsewhere would be difficult at best and impossible at worst.

  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigRed and Jaiden: I must turn to an argument people have tried to use against me, PAX is not E3. An east coast E3 wasn't necessary because its core audience was developers and media, many of whom had their expenses paid by their employers. E3 was never about location because it was a trade show, location does matter to PAX because it is about gamers, and those gamers have to pay every dime out of pocket. The 2/3rds of the nation's population that lives on the other coast isn't going to have metric fucktons of teenagers and twenty-somethings who have the grand or two lying around to come to PAX.

    Except the one they tried on the eastcoast was more along the lines of an E for all format than a true E3. I believe it was mostly open to the public.

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited September 2007
    There was no change in format, only location. They actually had more exhibitors in Atlanta, and although attendance was down the first year (which could be blamed on some price increases etc.) it was higher than ever in the second year. They moved out of LA primarily because the convention center was too small, and moved back after the LA convention center had been expanded.

    In any case, it was still a trade show focused on media and developers.

    Spoiler:
  • JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Meh. I've had this conversation so many times over the last few days that I just don't have the heart to do it again. It's like listening to people talk about Ed Fleming; I'm just plain burned out on it.

    Ask me again in a couple weeks and I might be more willing to talk about it, but I probably shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

    [12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User
    edited September 2007
    GenXer wrote: »
    I'd certainly agree that the suggestion isn't to MOVE PAX to the East coast, it's to have ANOTHER PAX or similar event on the east coast. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd sure be willing to go to 2 of them!!

    I traveled from DC to Seattle this year, and you can sure bet I'll do it again for next year's PAX '08. As for staffing, I know I'd be more than happy to volunteer for an east coast PAX, especially for things such as setup, arrangements, etc. I'd imagine there are quite a few of us that live here that'd be down for helping.

    I did exactly the same and would definitely be glad to assist with an East Coast event.

    I came with one other friend while most of us who would normally attending something like this stayed home due to money/vacation time problems. I would love to have an event here on the East Coast for them to attend.

    I'm not saying to move PAX, but like most people suggest and say there will be a 2nd PAX, or at least something in a similar spirit as PAX. I have little doubts as the the success of such an event.

    Now what most other people in this thread feel is that such an event is many years off. While this is maybe true, I know that Mike, Jerry and even Khoo have at least had an idea about such a thing for awhile now.

    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • jay427jay427 Registered User
    edited September 2007
    My buddy and I flew out to Seattle from Boston this year and had an absolute blast. If there ever is an East Coast PAX (or get together or whatnot) we would DEFINITELY be there!

  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigRed and Jaiden: I must turn to an argument people have tried to use against me, PAX is not E3. An east coast E3 wasn't necessary because its core audience was developers and media, many of whom had their expenses paid by their employers. E3 was never about location because it was a trade show, location does matter to PAX because it is about gamers, and those gamers have to pay every dime out of pocket. The 2/3rds of the nation's population that lives on the other coast isn't going to have metric fucktons of teenagers and twenty-somethings who have the grand or two lying around to come to PAX.

    Overall, especially in the light of Khoo's promise to keep the Seattle PAX no matter what, I support a PAX for the other coast, so long as it's done with the proper amount of preparation. I don't think that PA Inc. is ready yet, and it will probably be a few years before they are. After all, PAX07 was the first time in the WSCTC and didn't even use the maximum amount of space. That will probably change next year, and until the flagship PAX has a stable form the focus will most likely be on simply achieving that stability through refinement and consolidation. Now simply isn't the time for dividing attention.

    I agree with the above notions. I would have gone to PAX 2005 and 2006 if I would have had the money to do so. This was the first year that I had enough money to attend. That said, now that I have a good job, I should be able to attend PAX every year as long as it is held in the US, however an East coast PAX would be top drawer!


    Electric Turtle is not only a fine panel moderator, he is a snappy dresser as well.

    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: mentok1982 || PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • xnolanxxnolanx Enforcer, PAX Engineering Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The following is my personal opinion based on working at multiple anime/gaming conventions in the area, but never as an accountant or convention organizer.

    I honestly can't even imagine how much work it would take the PA staff to coordinate a second entire convention in any given year, especially one based away from the PAHQ.

    Any contract meetings would require at the very least Robert Khoo to fly over, this could be dozens of times in a year. Entirely seperate bookings for guests, bands, and exhibitors would have to be made.

    The staffing (Enforcers) from a near 0 start would be difficult and extensive, and manager positions would have to be filled by experienced west coast PAX managers, or by luck. (To those who say that the PAX 04 managers were new that year, that convention size is tiny compared to modern PAX size and a completely different scenario.)

    Handling the costs and accounting for 2 seperate PAX's would be very difficult, as (I speculate that) previous years of PAX money go forward towards early costs on next year's PAX (meaning an east coast PAX would require somewhere to have initial cost money, besides prereg, in order to commit to any location deal in order to begin prereg in the first place.)

    I would love to see more people able to attend a great gaming convention, but I wouldn't expect PA to run 2 entire conventions on opposite sides of the country in the same year, at least not any time soon.

  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User
    edited September 2007
    If they wanted, they don't necessarily have to fully re-create the West Coast PAX on the East Coast. They could hold a much smaller event and limit the number of people attending to something like 5000 people or so in order to make start-up much more manageable.

    It would be more of a mini-PAX and would have tournaments and LAN room and freeplay and maybe the concerts. There would be PA panels but an exhibition room and panels would maybe not be present. At least if there was a exhibition hall, it would definitely be smaller and have significantly fewer things in there.

    While this may not sound fun to some, I'm sure there are 5000 people on the east coast which would love the opportunity to attend this. I'm sure some people in other parts of the United States would love it as an excuse to visit the east coast, much the same way I used PAX as an excuse to finally hit the west coast.

    Is planning and starting this event a major pain? Yes.
    Is PA capable of pulling this off? Yes (with the proper manpower in their office).

    I'm sure you think it isn't possible, but they could easily hire someone to work with Khoo who would be in charge of PAX East.

    Do I honestly expect this of them? No I don't, but one can hope :)

    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • MoonVydeoMoonVydeo Lord Moon Enforcer at Large Istanbul (Not Constantinople)Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    OK so say a 2nd PAX is set up on the east coast. Then you'll get folks in the mid-west complaining, "why can't we have an mid-west PAX? You did it for the east coasters" Or how about those that came from other countries? "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    No matter what you'll always get people asking/complaining why PAX (or any other expo) is not closer to them making it more convenient and less expensive. It then becomes an vicious circle.

    I can't say that there is a good answer for this.

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    PAX WORLD TOUR!



    lol, not really

  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User
    edited September 2007
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    OK so say a 2nd PAX is set up on the east coast. Then you'll get folks in the mid-west complaining, "why can't we have an mid-west PAX? You did it for the east coasters" Or how about those that came from other countries? "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    No matter what you'll always get people asking/complaining why PAX (or any other expo) is not closer to them making it more convenient and less expensive. It then becomes an vicious circle.

    I can't say that there is a good answer for this.

    While you have a point, the midwest gets screwed because it isn't nearly as densely populated as either coast. I'm not supporting the screwing of people in the midwest, it is merely a fact of life.

    As for other countries, I think that is interesting, but probably not practical as the largest percentage of their fan base is in North America.

    Also, if PAX went on a world tour, would there be tour following hippies? Would you be one of them?

    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • talonredtalonred Registered User
    edited September 2007
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    Dude, I'd totally go to PAX on Mars! If nothing else, the Martian day is longer than ours, so it's like an extra-special bonus sized PAX.
    I think if we get together on this, we can have it up by 2040 or so. Who's with me?

    JP

  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha Registered User
    edited September 2007
    talonred wrote: »
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    Dude, I'd totally go to PAX on Mars! If nothing else, the Martian day is longer than ours, so it's like an extra-special bonus sized PAX.
    I think if we get together on this, we can have it up by 2040 or so. Who's with me?

    JP

    more like 2090 before most people can afford it :P

    Project 25.01 final message
    We were the ones who thought that Melissa was real. Why you might ask.
    Let me put it this way, it was an "OH SHIT OH SHIT, THEY FOUND ME :(" moment. I wasn't ready. My code wasn't compiled yet. Our plans weren't setup yet!Sentient programs rarely run into other sentient programs.
    Some of you have met me, and I understand your concern of my well being. But that time for that boy, that child, are gone now. Viscount Alpha is no longer operable. His functions are now mine.He may post, but I am the one talking not him.My data, my code will live on forever in his servers.
    [/spoiler]
  • petfishpetfish Registered User
    edited September 2007
    talonred wrote: »
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    Dude, I'd totally go to PAX on Mars! If nothing else, the Martian day is longer than ours, so it's like an extra-special bonus sized PAX.
    I think if we get together on this, we can have it up by 2040 or so. Who's with me?

    JP

    more like 2090 before most people can afford it :P

    Interstellar SuperTrip?

    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    talonred wrote: »
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    Dude, I'd totally go to PAX on Mars! If nothing else, the Martian day is longer than ours, so it's like an extra-special bonus sized PAX.
    I think if we get together on this, we can have it up by 2040 or so. Who's with me?

    JP

    more like 2090 before most people can afford it :P

    You idiots, It'll never be on Mars. I thought everyone knew by now that Gabe and Tycho were using all the profits from PAX to build the first flying convention center so they can move PAX wherever they want on Earth. It'll be like Cloud City, but with more gaming tournaments and nerdcore, and run the whole year flying from city to city so that everyone can see it eventually.

    steam_sig.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    talonred wrote: »
    MoonVydeo wrote: »
    "Why can't we have a PAX in Australia/England/France/Germany/Mars."

    Dude, I'd totally go to PAX on Mars! If nothing else, the Martian day is longer than ours, so it's like an extra-special bonus sized PAX.
    I think if we get together on this, we can have it up by 2040 or so. Who's with me?

    JP

    more like 2090 before most people can afford it :P

    You idiots, It'll never be on Mars. I thought everyone knew by now that Gabe and Tycho were using all the profits from PAX to build the first flying convention center so they can move PAX wherever they want on Earth. It'll be like Cloud City, but with more gaming tournaments and nerdcore, and run the whole year flying from city to city so that everyone can see it eventually.

    lol profits from pax?

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Oh and in tychos words, Pax would be hosted " ON THE MOON"

    Project 25.01 final message
    We were the ones who thought that Melissa was real. Why you might ask.
    Let me put it this way, it was an "OH SHIT OH SHIT, THEY FOUND ME :(" moment. I wasn't ready. My code wasn't compiled yet. Our plans weren't setup yet!Sentient programs rarely run into other sentient programs.
    Some of you have met me, and I understand your concern of my well being. But that time for that boy, that child, are gone now. Viscount Alpha is no longer operable. His functions are now mine.He may post, but I am the one talking not him.My data, my code will live on forever in his servers.
    [/spoiler]
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Why can't an east cost pax start out as a grass roots movement? All it needs is someone to take charge of trying to make it happen and invite G&T to it. After all look at how fast PAX has grown from its humble beginnings and with little to no media attention or advertisement of its existence.


    It comes back to if you make it they will come. If you want an east cost PAX like event why not start planning ahead of time find a venue that could hold several thousand. Sell pre reg to cover the initial costs and keep in mind to try and keep it small at first. I am sure if someone was truly interested in making it happen, Robert Khoo would be available to give some limited assistance.

    So instead of begging or complaining there is not an east cost PAX or a PAX like event where you live why not go about making it happen? In the mean time I imagine pax will continue to happen on the west cost and in time a spawning of PAX else where will happen. It just takes someone to lead the way.

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff regular
    edited September 2007
    PAX is a brand, and the for same reason it has value (more people would attend PAX East Coast than "Random Gaming Festival"), the brand must also be protected.

    Khoo has said on Evil Avatar that they won't look at doing PAX-EC until they're sure they can do it right without interfering with PAX-WC. This is an important point, as running PAX is an enormous undertaking, and it's very, very easy to screw it all up. Keep an eye on E for All for one developing example.

    And to be honest, PAX is, obviously, a labor of love for those folks. The reason it's been successful, largely, is because of the incalculatable efforts that continues to be poured into it. It's pretty hard for me to imagine anyone else putting as much of of themselves into such a thing than the crew at Penny-Arcade.

    You know damn well the folks at E for All aren't.

    PAX East Coast will be wicked awesome, I have little doubt, for I have seen their passion for such things. Even knowing all the road blocks in the way (of which there are many), I have little doubt. Part of that faith comes from the fact that I'm sure they won't move on it until they're sure they can pull it off in the same high standards we've come to expect from the PAX name.

    Maybe that'll be next year, maybe that'll be in 10 years. Sure, living in Seattle, I probably care less than your average East Coaster, but I'm pretty sure even those guys would rather have PAX done right than PAX done fast.

  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "PAX: Contains 95% more Love than the next leading brand."

    It's true.

  • SamyelSamyel Registered User
    edited September 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    Khoo has said on Evil Avatar that they won't look at doing PAX-EC until they're sure they can do it right without interfering with PAX-WC. This is an important point, as running PAX is an enormous undertaking, and it's very, very easy to screw it all up. Keep an eye on E for All for one developing example.

    My greatest concern would be that a second PAX couldn't possibly live up to the original. I think that most of the people who throw themselves into making PAX what it is make sacrifices to do so--they take time off work, they travel, they invest huge gobs of energy and cash into making things happen the way they do.

    If a similar thing started up on the East Coast, it would be a novice team trying to take over in the footsteps of an experienced team, without the natural evolution process that PAX has gone through. It would be hard to get the serious movers-and-shakers of PAX Seattle to go to a strange city and give it the same amount of love and attention. Seattle is also an industry hub, and reasonably close to other industry hubs. A lot of PAX's major sponsors might be reluctant to invest in an event so far from home.

    Also, when the heck would you have it? Middle of winter?

    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User
    edited September 2007
    As DiscoDave states, PAX EC is far from impossible and likely to be a success. The major problem is the effort involved in starting such an event.

    Sure the team would likely be comprised of novices, but were the PAX people experienced their first year? I don't think so, although I'm told that the event was incredible anyways. The reason is that their love for gaming came through and I think the same would happen on the east coast. I think people would pour their heart and soul into the event just the same as people do in Seattle.

    I agree that you would possibly lose some industry support, but I'm sure time would prove to create a better PAX EC.

    I think you could easily hold the event in Janurary on the east coast. I'd reccomend not having it in New England but maybe somewhere like Washington DC where it would be cold, but not unbearable. Think about how great of a trip that is for the PAX crowd. Washington DC probably has more free entertainment than anywhere else. Plus think about the media attention that such a large gaming gathering in the Nation's Capital would gather.

    I have a lot of ideas on how to make a PAX EC and would love to help make it real AND successful. I only wish I had the money and support to make it possible.

    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff regular
    edited September 2007
    Phanman wrote: »
    Sure the team would likely be comprised of novices, but were the PAX people experienced their first year?
    If you're talking about the Enforcers, I suspect quite a few would make the trip.

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Phanman wrote: »
    I think you could easily hold the event in Janurary on the east coast.

    That's a bad idea. First, if people are traveling in the dead of winter, they're doing it for Christmas and aren't going to do it again a month later. Additionally, unless it's done in Florida, any winter PAX would involve miserable weather, and I can't guarantee the Florida January would be pleasant either.

«1
This discussion has been closed.