Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

G&T Chat Thread 500: Wandering the Dessert

denihilistdenihilist tiny, tiny little manlive music capitol of the worldAdministrator admin
edited June 2005 in Archives
Greetings fellows.

I am the herald of change. The voice of a new era. We've noticed the chat thread has changed its tune lately, and maybe not for the best. So we're going to shut it down for a while until we can get some better rules in place. I know that the chat thread has been jerked around in this manner before but we're being serious this time. All chat threads after this will be locked so until a mod makes one, don't expect it to go anwhere.

With that in mind we're taking this thread to the moon. 100 pages about the chat thread. What you like about it and what you would like to see change. That way we can serve the majority of the community better.

I've even made a poll.

Alpha Edit : If you could take a look at my thoughts on the matter, it would make me happy.

denihilist on

• HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    All I can say is that when I spoke to Alpha a couple of years ago about the prospect of a chat thread, I didn't imagine it to be like how it has recently. Whatever changes come about to it, well, hell we just have to trust our admins/mods to do whatever they do.

... don't take our ability to post images away.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like a better way to sift through the Chat Thread rather than the first three pages and the last three.

I suppose that goes for all long threads, too.

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Imran wrote:
    I don't get it.

And it would have been nice if someone told me not to bother with all that work. :|

It wasn't all a waste. I read parts of it.

• edited June 2005
    Wow.

Well, what I like about the chat thread is that it's a more relaxed environment for G&T posters to talk about various things without fear of being on-topic.

I guess what I don't like is that it feels like a board of it's own sometimes, since a lot of people post in the chat thread and not anywhere else in G&T. So sometimes it'll feel less like a place for people in G&T and more like a place for the G&T chat threaders. :-P

• omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2005
    ceres wrote:
    Kilogre wrote:
    Tell me this one is unlocked.
    It is. You have 100 pages. Make them count.
    For real. Make 'er shine.

omgboomlolud1.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Imran wrote:
    I don't get it.

And it would have been nice if someone told me not to bother with all that work. :|
    I skimed it, it was nicly done. But i wasnt in it. Which makes me a sad panda. The world however weeps silently.

edited June 2005
    I laughed more than a few times during that post, Imran. :lol:

Oh, and Uriel? You're jailed. For a day.

• Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Imran wrote:
    I don't get it.

It didn't gain recognition because I wasn't in it.

• aeolistaeolist Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    All I can say is that when I spoke to Alpha a couple of years ago about the prospect of a chat thread, I didn't imagine it to be like how it has recently. Whatever changes come about to it, well, hell we just have to trust our admins/mods to do whatever they do.

It is the way it is because most people seem to like it that way. I know the mods and admins are in charge but they don't tend to change things from the way people like them without a good reason.

• KilogreKilogre Registered User
    edited June 2005
    The chat thread, is awesome. It is the central of all the G&T as any interesing news makes it in, it is a nice enviroment to chat with others without going into say mirc, it saves room for people asking questsions iso they dont have to make a thread about it. Its probably the most fun in the G&T.

sig.pl?Kilogre
    sigattach21wl.gif
  • VirulentVirulent Registered User
    edited June 2005
    The chat thread is fine with me as long as people don't act like assholes.

nicewow wrote:
    Dear friend ,Do you like one molecule of wow world?It answers to be , please accept we most sincere service .
  • Seta FDSeta FD Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Who do I PM to have my name changed? I asked bonedaddy before, but he's gone now.

bridgetsigea1.png
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Nothing about the chat thread needs to change.

sig.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2005

Oh, and Uriel? You're jailed.
    But that was just an opening page image, I post it every chat thread.

And I was sharing my opinion on what the chat thead should be like in the future.

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited June 2005

You're my favorite new mod.

edited June 2005

Oh, and Uriel? You're jailed. For a day.
    I fucking lol'd.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2005
    That was indeed well done Imran. :D

omgboomlolud1.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Not Seta wrote:
    Who do I PM to have my name changed? I asked bonedaddy before, but he's gone now.

Alpha and you better have a good reason.

• LanzLanz Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like a better way to sift through the Chat Thread rather than the first three pages and the last three.

I suppose that goes for all long threads, too.

BEST. SIG. EVER.

SEGATA SANSHIRO! LIVE AGAIN!
    Lanz.gif
  • edited June 2005
    Kevar wrote:
    Wow.

Well, what I like about the chat thread is that it's a more relaxed environment for G&T posters to talk about various things without fear of being on-topic.

I guess what I don't like is that it feels like a board of it's own sometimes, since a lot of people post in the chat thread and not anywhere else in G&T. So sometimes it'll feel less like a place for people in G&T and more like a place for the G&T chat threaders. :-P

Adding some more detail.. basically, when I read other threads in G&T I see a lot of people that never visit the chat thread and in the chat thread I see a lot of people who rarely visit other G&T topics. Anyway, I do love the chat thread. It's very enjoyable.

Edit: And the play was funny, Imran.

• ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited June 2005
    Orikae, you have the second post. Why don't you put Imran's there?

And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
    edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:
    The chat thread, is awesome. It is the central of all the G&T as any interesing news makes it in, it is a nice enviroment to chat with others without going into say mirc, it saves room for people asking questsions iso they dont have to make a thread about it. Its probably the most fun in the G&T.
    Nice environment eh? That's the biggest load of shit I've heard. :wink:

- @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    ceres wrote:
    Orikae, you have the second post. Why don't you put Imran's there?
    Good idea, ceres.

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Uriel wrote:

But that was just an opening page image, I post it every chat thread.

And I was sharing my opinion on what the chat thead should be like in the future.
    Thickheaded? Grab a Snickers!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:
    Well, sort of true. Some questions get lost in the 'maek psot' flood sometimes.

• ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Uhm, perhaps we can be told exactly why we're losing the chat thread in order to properly say what we'd be willing to change and what we wouldn't.

I mean, you're basically just telling us "Listen, the chat thread sucks now, and unless you can convince why it doesn't suck, it goes away." Well, yeah, okay. But we don't know why it sucks, so there's nothing we can really say to convince you why it doesn't suck.

We can't address your complaints unless we know what they are.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    As for the chat thread its a great place to come to unwind. Theres alot of good people and alot of entertaining topics to chat about. Plus the regulars know each other pretty well so its kind of like the Cheers of G&T is some twizted way and also involving butsechz.

Id say if anything it gets a little spammy. Especially when its getting close to page 50 do to everyone anticipating a lock and trying to snipe the next thread. Maybe a new rule that only mods can start chat threads will help keep them more on topic.

All in all id really hate to see these things go. It nmight force people to go to Se for their chatting. And that is no where we want our precious inocent G&Ters to be. There be dragons. Avast.

• edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:

I agree with both posts.

edited June 2005
    aeolist wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

It is the way it is because most people seem to like it that way. I know the mods and admins are in charge but they don't tend to change things from the way people like them without a good reason.
    A lot of people would like to discuss things that are against the rules, but just because they like it doesn't mean it will go their way.

That was a retarded retort, I know.

- @Ludious
  • KilogreKilogre Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:
    But then they usually quote themselves and they will get ackknowldgment. Yes, I cant spell.

sig.pl?Kilogre
    sigattach21wl.gif
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User
    edited June 2005
    are Linksville or D&D or whatever losing their chat threads? I can imagine everyone just moving to another forum's chat threads then if ours goes away.

• aeolistaeolist Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    aeolist wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

A lot of people would like to discuss things that are against the rules, but just because they like it doesn't mean it will go their way.

That was a retarded retort, I know.
    If the chat thread were breaking any rules, then you might have a point. Generally it doesn't, and when people break rules in the chat thread there's almost always a mod around.

• Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User
    edited June 2005
    I suppose I wasn't really necessary for the play, anyway. After all, Imran was in it, and he's really just me one minute in the future.

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    What exactly can you change about the chat thread? The only obvious thing is images, which I'm not worried about one way or the other.

Otherwise I like the chat thread because I don't have to read the previous pages. If you want to change it to make it more structured then I would probably stop posting in it.

• ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    If the chat thread goes away, to me, personally, it'd be a big loss. I'd have a lot less of an impetus to post here. That might just be me, though, since I form attachments to weird things.

I mean, it'd be very difficult to argue that I didn't make friends specifically because of this thread.

nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • apotheosapotheos Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2005
    G&T has a special vibe to its chat thread. Around 350 or so, it started getting a little wierd.

猿も木から落ちる
    edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:
    Kilogre wrote:
    But then they usually quote themselves and they will get ackknowldgment. Yes, I cant spell.
    It shouldn't have to be done that way though. In fact, it was never that way early on. The spamming is annoying. If you remember a couple of days ago Kilogre, I pointed out that there isn't as much conversation in here as there is just random shit.

- @Ludious
    edited June 2005
    Kilogre wrote:
    Kilogre wrote:
    Sometimes. But, not always. The Chat Thread flows so fast sometimes that more than a few things get lost. Read through an old one that's still up to see what I mean.

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2005
    So I guess any PM I send is ingnored.

This discussion has been closed.