As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me buy a keyboard

BeckBeck Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my keyboard of five years is finally dying on me, and I'm having a hard time finding a new one. I tried looking at futureshop, and other stores in my area, but they really only stocked Microsoft curve keyboards, which I absolutely despise. I was just wondering if you guys may have a favorite, or know of an easily recommendable keyboard.

I do have a few requirements:

Must be a USB Keyboard.
Must be wired.
I would prefer the price to stay under $80 Canadian, preferably closer to 60.
I don't do the ergonomic thing.

That's about it...Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it!

Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
Beck on

• Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If those are your only requirements, just go into a Best Buy and find the cheapest one you can. The majority of keyboards these days use USB, so your options will be excellent.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    If you want a tank of a keyboard, you might want something like this:
    http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

It's the same design as the old IBM model M, just a different color and USB compatible. It's heavy, it's loud, the keys click, it sure as hell isn't ergonomic and it doesn't have a bunch of extra buttons on it. But the reputation for them (although maybe the quality has gone down since the design was sold to Unicomp from IBM, I dunno), that they will last forever, and take a beating like a champ. I had one on an old 486 and never had problems with it, I wish I knew where it was now.

Next time I buy a keyboard that's what I'm going to get- with the last two keyboards I' bought I tried to cheap out on and get the cheapest one I could find at Best Buy- first one I got had some stupid power button on it that hard shut down my computer immediately if I accidentally touched it, which I ended up taping plastic bottle caps over to prevent. The one I've got now is a Logitech something or other that has this stupid F Lock button and a bunch of other worthless shit on it, which is now starting to crap out on me. D:

EDIT:
    This was the first keyboard:
    angrykeyboard.jpg
    Do not get this keyboard, seriously. It was a GE "power saver" or some crap like that, not worth the $10 or however much it cost.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yep, that Model M clone is an excellent choice if they're anything close to as awesome as the originals.

If you're not looking for that sort of thing, I'd try to find a more basic Logitech. Their hardware is generally decent, but like with most keyboards these days, most of it is filled with useless shit buttons. I would avoid the cheapest keyboard you can find route. I've done that a few times. Sure, the keyboards have continue to work for a couple years, but they are miserable to use. The keys feel very spongy, there are a few keys that have to be hit just right or they won't work, etc.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you want a tank of a keyboard, you might want something like this:
    http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html

It's the same design as the old IBM model M, just a different color and USB compatible. It's heavy, it's loud, the keys click, it sure as hell isn't ergonomic and it doesn't have a bunch of extra buttons on it. But the reputation for them (although maybe the quality has gone down since the design was sold to Unicomp from IBM, I dunno), that they will last forever, and take a beating like a champ. I had one on an old 486 and never had problems with it, I wish I knew where it was now.

Next time I buy a keyboard that's what I'm going to get- with the last two keyboards I' bought I tried to cheap out on and get the cheapest one I could find at Best Buy- first one I got had some stupid power button on it that hard shut down my computer immediately if I accidentally touched it, which I ended up taping plastic bottle caps over to prevent. The one I've got now is a Logitech something or other that has this stupid F Lock button and a bunch of other worthless shit on it, which is now starting to crap out on me. D:

Oh, wow, that thing is amazing. I actually forgot to mention I would like to have a few multimedia keys, but that thing takes me back. I'm pretty sure I had the keyboard it was modeled after.

Right now I'm looking at this keyboard, it seems a little fancy with the programmable keys on the left side, but it sounds solid. I haven't gotten anywhere near buying something yet, though, so I'm still very open to any suggestions. And I'll be wary of a keyboard with a button that turns my computer off...Seriously, I don't really know anyone who needs that kind of "convenience."

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a cheap USB keyboard that I bought at NewEgg for like, $4. It works perfectly. I can't find the brand, but I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs there.

Murphy on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been using a Saitek Eclipse and loving it. Sturdy, solid build, backlit keys, volume buttons, nice tactile feel when typing, wired, usb.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148

That right there is probably the most comfortable keyboard I've used. If mine were to suffer some horrible fate, I'd go right back out and buy another.

Artereis on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What is the purported reasoning behind the shitty Logitech "f-lock" keys? Never understood it, never liked it, as all it did was fuck me up.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had my eye on the Dell W7658 slim USB keyboard. It essentially has no edges so it fits in a box nicely if you need to take your computer somewhere and doesn't take up much room on the desk. Plus it's cheap and when I tried it out last year at PAX it seemed pretty solid.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Beck wrote: »
    I don't do the ergonomic thing.

If you spend more than three hours at your computer a day, you should seriously consider this. It feels weird at first, but so much more comfortable when you get it. Anything that keeps RSI away is A Good Thing.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I've had my eye on the Dell W7658 slim USB keyboard. It essentially has no edges so it fits in a box nicely if you need to take your computer somewhere and doesn't take up much room on the desk. Plus it's cheap and when I tried it out last year at PAX it seemed pretty solid.

They have these keyboards in my computer labs on campus, and I must say that they suck the ass. If you are used to having a keayboard that has a little heft to it, it makes typing rather akward.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Linoleum CaesarLinoleum Caesar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you don't mind (or would even prefer) laptop keys you might want to take a look at the Logitech Ultra-X and Ultra Flat keyboards.

They're comfortable, simple (no F-lock bullshit) and very cheap (got mine for 18 euros). I've used one for a few years now and I never saw any reason to "upgrade". The only thing that I'd like is buttons for 'next track' and 'previous track' but you can reprogram other buttons to work with global hotkeys in Winamp.

Linoleum Caesar on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got a plain "Classic" keyboard from Logitech for 8€ and it works wonders. Easy to stain, but I don't mid that.

Burning Organ on