As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batch three (this is getting fun)

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
I tried this once and failed, but all the frustration when trying to draw the "posters" recently has motivated me to do it once and for all.
Go go Loomis drawing course!
Day1:
day1web.jpg

Day2 (drawn on a train):
day2web.jpg

Input please!
(R is for referenced)

Mayday on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't see!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Your upper body proportions seem to be coming along, but your legs are wonky in some of those figures. The "thinker" on the first page has some big ol' hips/thighs, almost female-ish in proportion.

The tall figure on the right in the second set has some really long legs, I think you extended them a bit too much, while the figure on the left (walking away) is seriously compacted.

Some of your posed figures on the first page, however, are pretty nice overall. Keep up the studies, you've got the right idea. :^:

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "thinker" on the first page has some big ol' hips/thighs, almost female-ish in proportion.

If his body is soft, i.e. no muscle, then sitting down would widen the thighs quite a bit. I would suggest giving the bottome smooth curve indention to indicate he's sitting on something. Propper shading would be necessary as well

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "thinker" on the first page has some big ol' hips/thighs, almost female-ish in proportion.

My girlfriend was the reference for that pic so... yay? ;) She was wearing shorts and the legs were the only parts not obscured by clothes- hence the upper body is drawn from imagination with a standard male mannikin body but femalish legs. Anyway, I'll be sure to pay more attention to the lower parts today.
    The tall figure on the right in the second set has some really long legs, I think you extended them a bit too much, while the figure on the left (walking away) is seriously compacted.
    Ugh, I can see it now on the tall guy, thanks. The walking-away dude and the one above him were supposed to be seen from above- I understand it's not very well visible. Any tips on that?
    Some of your posed figures on the first page, however, are pretty nice overall. Keep up the studies, you've got the right idea. :^:
    Thx!

Mayday on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Ugh, I can see it now on the tall guy, thanks. The walking-away dude and the one above him were supposed to be seen from above- I understand it's not very well visible. Any tips on that?

Foreshortening is very hard for a lot of people to get a handle on, so your best bet for now is to stick to drawing from reference when it comes to perspective shots. It's definitely hard to do it intuitively unless you've got decent experience drawing it from life or photos.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Probably better than I could do ^_^ Just remember that not all men have giant chests/rib cages.

NakedElf on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Mayday wrote: »

My girlfriend was the reference for that pic so... yay? ;) She was wearing shorts and the legs were the only parts not obscured by clothes- hence the upper body is drawn from imagination with a standard male mannikin body but femalish legs. Anyway, I'll be sure to pay more attention to the lower parts today.

You know, if you have someone posing for you, you should probably try to focus on drawing the reality instead of forcing it into a generic figure. By all means, use the principles of construction of the mannequin figure, but it should not be something that ends up getting in the way of drawing and observing from reality. Remember, the mannequin figure is a tool, not a goal. Nobody cares if you can render a perfect "Loomis mannequin", only if you can succeed in using the mannequin idea to draw something that looks human.

Otherwise, you're just being backwards- tossing out the most solid piece of first-hand information you could hope for (reality) for a second-hand piece of information (actually, third-hand; a generic rendering of a figure, which is in itself not a rendering of an actual figure but an abstract amalgamation of figures from someone's imagination.)

That's not to say I don't realize what you were going for there- yeah, you want to get better at drawing from imagination, and you know to get better at anatomy you ideally shouldn't have all those pesky clothes in the way. I'd say the best way to go about this would to be draw straight from reality first, trying to get it as accurate as possible, even with the clothes or whatever. Then make a second sketch trying to replicate the figure and pose with the mannequin method. This way you grow more accustomed to where the reality and where "generic figure" diverge, and you'll get a better idea of what will actually make a figure read as "real" when doing future drawings from imagination.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Got it Bacon- I'll keep that in mind next time I get the opportunity. Thanks for the rant ;)

trzy.jpg
    Ok, I think I'm beginning to enjoy it. This time it was all from imagination, gonna have to start drawing from reference pretty soon (running out of ideas).

And uhhh... now that I look at it on my bigger monitor (was drawn on a lappy), the guy carrying the block has some pretty long arms. Or am I being paranoid?

Mayday on
  • Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The male hips are either the width of the rib cage or smaller. You're drawing them too wide. That's an easy fix though and apart from that these are spot on.

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow Mayday, this is the first time I see the character sketch that lokks like this.
    Before this, I see a lot that looks mostly like using sausage technique.
    Frankly speaking I like the waist part. maybe I will try to learn this technique too...

Good luck in your class Mayday
    :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rusty: noted, thanks.
    Vrempire: it's from a drawing course by Andrew Loomis, you can download it with his other books here: http://www.griftart.com/Loomis.rar

Sorry bout the lack'o'updates, got a contract for a bunch of models that had to be done. I'm back on track tomorrow.

Mayday on