As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medicinal Marijuana: Cash Crop or Soma Substitute?

2»

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I hear that, had a single toke a couple weeks ago at a party and felt like I was flying, instead of just mellowing. Although now that I think on it, it was eerily similar to my first experience 10 years ago.

Did your whole body deflate or did you kill your friend with a pistol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxjI8BhJDk

I tried to outrun some junkyard dogs with my fist stuck in my mouth.
    I succumbed to the compulsion of dragging a full length mirror to school.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I hear that, had a single toke a couple weeks ago at a party and felt like I was flying, instead of just mellowing. Although now that I think on it, it was eerily similar to my first experience 10 years ago.

Did your whole body deflate or did you kill your friend with a pistol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxjI8BhJDk

I tried to outrun some junkyard dogs with my fist stuck in my mouth.
    I succumbed to the compulsion of dragging a full length mirror to school.

Did your buddy call you the next day and tell you you raped your friend without even knowing it? And did you then proceed to go to a drive-through and run over a girl on a tricycle on your way out of the parking-lot?

Edit: Actually, I'm rather concerned that what I've been smoking isn't pot, because apparently pot makes it impossible to talk to girls instead of way easier. That was an informative commercial as well.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Raped your friend?!? When the hell was that commercial on?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm rather concerned that what I've been smoking isn't pot, because apparently pot makes it impossible to talk to girls instead of way easier.

To be fair, that's one of the reasons I'm trying to cut back. If a girl's moderately attractive and I'm sober, I might show the odd nerve but I'll scrape by. Tipsy and I can have a group of them hanging off my every word. Stoned and I'm a braindead mess. It's not even paranoia, I just can't think of anything to say.

Best is to get stoned and then tipsy because then I'm cheeky as fuck and somehow get away with it.

As for medical marijuana, I think people pushing for it to be legalised are doing a disservice to their own cause. They should man up and realise that they shouldn't trojan weed into legality, admit to themselves and proclaim to everyone else that it should absolutely be legal for medical and recreational use.

Nexus Zero on
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nexus Zero wrote: »
    I'm rather concerned that what I've been smoking isn't pot, because apparently pot makes it impossible to talk to girls instead of way easier.

To be fair, that's one of the reasons I'm trying to cut back. If a girl's moderately attractive and I'm sober, I might show the odd nerve but I'll scrape by. Tipsy and I can have a group of them hanging off my every word. Stoned and I'm a braindead mess. It's not even paranoia, I just can't think of anything to say.

Best is to get stoned and then tipsy because then I'm cheeky as fuck and somehow get away with it.

See, when I get drunk I get depressed and go away from everyone, probably go home early too. That doesn't help me any. If I'm high (not ripped beyond the capacity for conscious thought, mind you, but high) I nail word-games, and a lot of girls seem to like those (the ones who get them anyway). If only we lived in a world where I could take note of how I personally respond differently to certain recreational substances than others and elect to use those that do me the least harm. Afterall, I'm almost certainly not a unique and beautiful snowflake, there's gotta be thousands of people who've had similar experiences with alcohol and pot.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    The-PimpThe-Pimp Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Marijuana has its benefits for pain relief and appetite stimulant, among other things, but I am more hopeful of the prospect of MDMA becoming a prescription drug or the drug licensed for use in psychotherapy sessions due to the immense therapeutic benefits. Somehow I doubt marijuana plant matter will ever gain federal medical acceptance due to its negative imagine. SativeX is a new inhalant in testing that contains more beneficial cannabinoids in it instead of just the dronabinol in Marinol. Check out some of these links

Sativex Maps.org

The-Pimp on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    bush and clinton were from "generations that smoked weed".

So is a large portion of Congress, unless I'm mistaken. Which I'm guessing the "based on what I've seen" is coming from. I think largely it's a case of "I don't want my kids to make the same mistakes I did," only played out on the national level. And with the legal system. And with prison sentences instead of groundings.
    Unfortunately, most of them don't realize that it wasn't the smoking pot that was a mistake, but their complete douchebaggery.

I should have been more clear - I meant the generation past that, just to make the point that there could be no doubt.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want to know when I'll get my advert.

"I used to want to be a rockstar, but then I started smoking pot and went to university to study physics instead."

Gorak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I used to work for one of the largest marijuana dispensaries in the world, a medical marijuana clinic in California, for about six months.

I totally support medical marijuana. I think marijuana should be decriminalized, taxed, and sold by licensed dispensaries. That said, there are really a few things going on with medical marijuana that I think people need to know.

1) Synthetic substitutes are not yet suitable replacements for actual cannabis. Cannabis contains multiple cannabinoid analogs and other related compounds as well as a lot of various botanical essential oils. This is why different strains have different effects. All the synthetic (Marinol, et al) are single small molecule compounds and will not have the wide variety of effects of different strains of cannabis. It's like comparing a shotgun to a surgical scalpel; there's no guarantee that the synthetic is going to treat a given person's malady as effectively as any particular strain of cannabis.

2) A lot of so-called "medical" users are garden variety stoners who have faked or exaggerated a medical condition to get legal pot. Everybody has a little bit of anxiety, everybody has aches and pains, everybody gets headaches. But it's really easy to go to a slightly disreputable doctor (and sometimes the dispensaries will refer a doctor to you) to whom you can claim that you have an anxiety disorder or cluster headaches and get a written recommendation for marijuana on your first visit. Of course, a lot of "garden variety stoners" are self-medicating mild to moderate medical conditions to begin with, so the line between "stoner" and "patient" is absolutely not black and white.

3) The people running and financing most of the large clinics are crooks. (Truly sick people who run co-ops like Diane Monson and Angel Raich are the exception, not the rule.) They are not medical facilities, they don't care about helping people. They're the same people who have been running drugs (and not just pot) on the streets for years. Money laundering, organized crime ties are common; prostitution rings and hard drug trafficking are lucrative side businesses for more than one "medical marijuana" dispensary. This shouldn't be surprising - since medical marijuana is still illegal on a federal level, very few people are going to have the cajones to tempt the DEA except for people who are already skilled at skirting the law. So some mobster type finances a clinic, hires a bunch of idealistic NORML-type stoners to manage it, then when the clinic gets raided it's the stoners who take the fall while the financiers make out like bandits.

The situation makes me rather sick, because the people who are getting screwed the worst are the idealistic stoners who are attracted to the work because they get to feel like they're making a political difference and helping people at the same time; and the sick patients who end up buying overpriced pot (remember that these places run a 10-25% markup on top of street value) for the privilege of doing it semi-legally.

I wish we'd just decriminalize the shit, license and tax production, and get it out of the hands of organized crime entirely.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I wish we'd just decriminalize the shit, license and tax production, and get it out of the hands of organized crime entirely.

Since when has that been a valid reason for ending prohibition? Fucking hippy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Feral nailed it. I actually witnessed a DEA raid on a club and it was the saddest thing. Lots of worried kids and a few stressed out sick people.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If marijuana is legalized, won't that mean the envelope is pushed and heroin becomes the 'new' marijuana? I'm just thinking out loud - I have no evidence - but won't thrill seekers in college and at clubs ignore weed if it's legal and go for the harder stuff just across the line? There is a drug hierarchy.

No.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's a kind of a hierarchy but the government gets it very very wrong. It also makes the false assumption that people are inevitably going to climb the hierarchy and move up to harder drugs. Every person has a level they want to reach or a high they want to obtain. People will tend to start off with softer or more readily available drugs. If they find the feeling they like they'll probably stay there. if it isn't their cup of tea chances are good, if so inclined, they'll try something else.

Drugs aren't a ladder but more like a web. People are more likely to try things similar to what they like. Someone who likes pot but wants a more intense experience is probably going to try another hallucinogen like mushrooms or LSD. Lots of people try things once, find it's not their cup of tea and move back to whatever they were doing before. For example cocaine is a highly addictive drug. I've done it a few times. I did not really like the experience and decided not to do it again. Likewise I've tried X and liked it quite a bit but haven't felt an overwhelming need to do it again. Did I climb "the drug ladder"? Not really I simply experimented a little.

This is how I see the average user. There's also people with purely addictive personalities who are simply never going to be satisfied and will try virtually anything to satisfy their addictive nature. I also think these are people who are far more likely to end up hooked on a highly addictive drug like heroin or meth. For most addictive personalities it's not about the drugs it's just an outlet for a self-destructive tendency. We've all known one or two of these people. Even if you took away all their drugs they'd find a way to fuck themselves up one way or another. However I happen to think people like this, while they give ordinary drug users a bad name, are a minority.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If marijuana is legalized, won't that mean the envelope is pushed and heroin becomes the 'new' marijuana? I'm just thinking out loud - I have no evidence - but won't thrill seekers in college and at clubs ignore weed if it's legal and go for the harder stuff just across the line? There is a drug hierarchy.

College kids ignore alcohol because its legal now?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't smoke pot. I never have, and I don't really plan to, but it's pretty damn stupid to keep it illegal. I mean seriously, if cigs are ok and alcohol is ok, it's ridiculous to ban pot.

Not to mention the benefit it would have on drug education. Instead of tons of retarded commercials telling you pot is going to make you kill your sister, they could focus on drugs that actually do seriously harmful shit to you, and since they'd be telling the truth they might not be a laughing stock anymore.

My primary reason for not smoking pot is the smoking part. I don't smoke cigs, cigars, hookah, anything. I just don't like it. I do drink, though, and alcohol makes you do much dumber stuff than stoners a lot of the time.

My main problem with pot smokers is the fact that they:

a. Always try to justify how great it is for you. Just admit you want to get high, don't tell me it's having some sort of medical benefit on you. Yes, I could ramble on about how alcohol calms my nerves and blah blah, but I don't. There's still a lot of carcinogens in it, so I don't buy it.

and

b. Become anti-social to anyone not smoking pot while they're high. I'll have friends come to parties, and the few of them that smoke pot don't talk to anyone else. They just stand there and talk to the other high people. They don't talk to any non-high people unless they're trying to convince them to get high. It's annoying.

But yeah, just legalize it, regulate it, tax it, make 18 the legal age, tell people they can't drive while on it, and call it a day.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    I don't smoke pot. I never have, and I don't really plan to, but it's pretty damn stupid to keep it illegal. I mean seriously, if cigs are ok and alcohol is ok, it's ridiculous to ban pot.

Not to mention the benefit it would have on drug education. Instead of tons of retarded commercials telling you pot is going to make you kill your sister, they could focus on drugs that actually do seriously harmful shit to you, and since they'd be telling the truth they might not be a laughing stock anymore.

My primary reason for not smoking pot is the smoking part. I don't smoke cigs, cigars, hookah, anything. I just don't like it. I do drink, though, and alcohol makes you do much dumber stuff than stoners a lot of the time.

My main problem with pot smokers is the fact that they:

a. Always try to justify how great it is for you. Just admit you want to get high, don't tell me it's having some sort of medical benefit on you. Yes, I could ramble on about how alcohol calms my nerves and blah blah, but I don't. There's still a lot of carcinogens in it, so I don't buy it.

and

b. Become anti-social to anyone not smoking pot while they're high. I'll have friends come to parties, and the few of them that smoke pot don't talk to anyone else. They just stand there and talk to the other high people. They don't talk to any non-high people unless they're trying to convince them to get high. It's annoying.

But yeah, just legalize it, regulate it, tax it, make 18 the legal age, tell people they can't drive while on it, and call it a day.

Man, it sounds like the people you know who smoke weed are dicks.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Is there any tax on tobacco and alcohol in the US?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Is there any tax on tobacco and alcohol in the US?

Yes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I fully support legalized marijuana. Tax it and regulate it (Age limit somewhere between 18-21).

Instead of putting the taxes into something stupid though, funnel the money to the DEA/FBI/CIA for purposes of keeping harder, far more dangerous drugs (opium products, cocaine, meth) off the streets.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA