As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why am i losing 2mbps of d/l speed.

MuragoMurago Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my isp is bellsouth. When they first connected it 2 months ago, i was at over 6megs and its stayed that way for about a month. It dropped down pretty drastically recently, and i did some crap from their website. (clearing out some caches and doing a registry update) that they "recommended". Anyway, i called into customer service and talked with a technician. They sent some crap out the modem and it actually helped. I ran a speed test and was at about 4.3 mbps.

Now, normally i would think that's a great speed, but i don't pay for 4.3, i pay for their "ultra dsl 6.0" and i expect it be in that area. Anyway, a technician just came out and did some stuff, didn't really help. He hooked his laptop straight into the modem and ran a speed test. he got 6454mbps. Plugged it back into mine and still at 4.1 / 3.8 / 4.2. We did some troubleshooting, tried the USB vs the Ethernet to test if it was the net card. Same results. Used both IE and Firefox with similiar results.

I'm not connected to a router, and i don't have any extra programs running that would slow it down. I do have some bit torrent d/l ers and limewire, BUT, they aren't running.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks.

Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
Murago on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Try getting them to send out a new modem.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, if the technician wasn't having any speed related difficulties with the modem then I would doubt that sending out a new one would really change much of anything.

Rather, OP, have you made any changes with your network card lately? Installed any new drivers or changed any new settings? If you have then perhaps you should consider using the system restore to take it back to a time when your connection speed was what you were paying for.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've seen enough trouble issues go through my company related to modems that it's worth a shot. I dealt with a woman who had almost the same experience as the OP. The tech was connecting fine, but she couldn't get a good connection when the modem was hooked up to her computer. Another tech swapped the modem and the problem went away.

Artereis on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are you using Windows Vista?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Using XP....i tested the modem in both USB and net card...both gave me same results, so i don't think it would be the hardware.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!