As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best way to connect PC to HDTV?

JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My old HDTV from 2002 kicked the bucket this month, so I'm ordering a new Sharp Aquos 1080p model atm from Newegg. I'm wonder what you guys recommend as the best way to connect it to my PC for the best picture quality?

My video card has DVI and S-video Out. The TV has HDMI, Composite Video, and S-video inputs.

And as far as cabling goes, I've heard mention of a Mono ...something for cheap cables online?

JediNight on

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Get a DVI to HDMI adapter and use that.

The site is called MonoPrice, but I also suggest comparing it to Newegg as sometimes it has better prices.

edit: A adapter works perfectly fine, the only problem you might have is that DVI doesn't carry audio so you would need a audio jack to plug into as well.

khain on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Either get a TV with DVI inputs or get a video card with HDMI outputs. Consider your audio setup and then make the appropriate purchase. If you're set on the TV, then you'll need a card with HDMI output or a converter somewhere in there.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what poja said is unnecessary cuz you can get a 1.5" dongle adapter to change dvi to hdmi. pretty cheap too.

both signal types are digital so they work together. in the future you might have issues with how many free digital (hdmi) ports you have available. might need a hdmi switcher or something.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I take it getting a DVI/HDMI cable would be better quality than using the Svideo-Component dongle that came with the card? Since afaik S-video is restricted to like 480p isn't it?

JediNight on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HDMI/DVI > VGA > Component > S-Video > Composite > Coaxial

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alrighty, thanks for the help. I'm trying to rack my brain now thinking if I need any other cables atm to save on shipping. Because the cable is like $6 and shipping is like $4 ;)

JediNight on