As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help finding a cheat database

FalxFalx Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So there's this guy I know...

Physical age of about 30, mentally about 8. The guy calls me every now and then to help him find cheats for his favourite games, but sometimes he needs a walkthrough and can keep me on the phone for an hour at a time as I try and figure out where exactly he is in the game and then read the walkthrough to him. (He has a surprisingly good memory)

Now he's gotten the idea that I could go on to the cheating website I always go to (gamefaqs) and download the entire PS1 and PC walkthrough/cheats sections for all the games. Unfortunately he doesn't see the practical problems with this.

So I was wondering, does anyone here have or know of a downloadable database of PC and PS1 cheats and walkthroughs? I really do enjoy helping the poor guy, but he only ever calls during work and even I get busy sometimes and I don't want to disappoint him.

Falx on

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Could you possibly just download the walkthroughs for the games that he owns and then print them out for him?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ah the thing is, he doesn't actually "own" any games. All of them are borrowed and/or rented so they change often. And unfortunately, he is a bit careless when it comes to handling things like paper. I've had to reprint several walkthroughs over the last few months because of spillage.

He wants me to put them on a CD for him, luckily he's very careful with those, so it would be viable.

Falx on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    You could give him a laminated index-card with "www.gamefaqs.com" written on it in big, easy to read letters. Sharpie would be best. Write it before laminating, of course.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    you said he's 8 mentally. Is he physically challenged or just annoying? If he's challenged, then you're a good person to be that helpful, and you should try laminating a few strategy guides for him, and ask his family to pay the costs (that stuff is expensive.) If he's just annoying/stupid....Charge him... charge him for ink, paper, laminate, cd-s, and time, and make him pay you per strategy guide, explaining how he's saving (x)% off the price of the store copy (if it still existed)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No he has Downs, 8 might be underestimating him a bit though, to be honest. The problem is he doesn't realize his parents are both on pension, and cannot afford all of his expenses. I feel really bad for thinking this, but if I can't figure this out I might have to consider cutting him off, just to save his parents some money.

He calls at least once a week to find out if I'm finished yet

Falx on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Anybody?

Falx on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not unless you run wget over the whole of GameFAQs, which I am sure will result in your IP being banned.

I think the best thing to do is let him down gently. It's not your fault he doesn't understand practicalities.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I guess it's for the best, I'll download cheatbook DB for him, it might be puny compared to gamefaqs but at least it's something.

Falx on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If he reads well, get him a sub to tips and tricks magazine. It's chock full of older games and perhaps he could rent games that he's found cheats for in that mag? I got it as a free sub. some time ago through CAG.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    UncleChet wrote: »
    If he reads well, get him a sub to tips and tricks magazine. It's chock full of older games and perhaps he could rent games that he's found cheats for in that mag? I got it as a free sub. some time ago through CAG.

Thanks for the advice, but we don't have any dedicated cheat magazines here :)

Falx on