As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Powdered Wigs and Occupations

13»

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Having a prescription filled by a girl in the pharmacy chewing gum hardly gives me a great deal of confidence in the transaction, and I feel somewhat relieved when I see the older guy in the lab coat actually doing it. Fair or unfair, we end up using a range of short cuts to quickly evaluate people in our everyday lives.

I read something about this recently - the people at the pharmacy wear white coats because it's expected of them, not because it's actually needed in the work. Most work at a pharmacy is to get a bottle of pills and ring it up in the cash register. But the white coat sends an image of clean professionalism. I can understand why it's soothing.

Echo on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Having a prescription filled by a girl in the pharmacy chewing gum hardly gives me a great deal of confidence in the transaction, and I feel somewhat relieved when I see the older guy in the lab coat actually doing it. Fair or unfair, we end up using a range of short cuts to quickly evaluate people in our everyday lives.

I read something about this recently - the people at the pharmacy wear white coats because it's expected of them, not because it's actually needed in the work. Most work at a pharmacy is to get a bottle of pills and ring it up in the cash register. But the white coat sends an image of clean professionalism. I can understand why it's soothing.

White coats have awesome power. They can even turn you into a Nazi!

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »

Or have a witting accomplise electrocute someone.
    Janson wrote:
    My ex, however, works in a design company, where the uniform is smartish jeans (nothing baggy/faded) and plain t-shirts. He looks great and feels more comfortable in those, plus I feel it's much more suited to the art/graphic design environment. Finding a bunch of men hunched over at their drawing boards and computers dressed in an inflexible suit would probably look really awkward and be very uncomfortable, not to mention the tie would constantly get in the way.

Traditionally they'd wear bowties due to just that problem. It's also why waiters and magicians wear them, only less ink smudges and more pigeon handling. Plus you'd never wear your jacket at the desk, it'd be more for when you were doing non-drafting related things. Coming in, leaving, talking to clients, trying to sex up the secretary, etc.

moniker on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I probably would have been content with "guy in a suit", but the chewing gum part was the big confidence remover.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »

Or have a witting accomplise electrocute someone.

Exactly.
    Man I saw video of that study... That was chilling.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]