Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Steam/Source: Games should be rated out of Valve, not out of 10

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait, so Valve's new price for "episodic content" is $30?

What?

vvvvvv-dithw.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

What?

I doubt it, I imagine they're just trying to get you to buy the orange pack.

PIZTDhW.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apparently Ep2 is longer than Ep1. And given that most expansion packs of games are around that price, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Team Fortress addicted male is looking for a community to play lots of videogames with.

(invite plz?)

(also, what is up with steam? I can't seem to edit anything from my profile but adding my avatar, which isn't even the one I want...)

steam_sig.png
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

What?

episodic content that updates the engine? yes

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Apparently Ep2 is longer than Ep1. And given that most expansion packs of games are around that price, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Yeah, it looks like a lot more work is going into Ep2 compared to Episodes 1. Cinematic Physics, new enemies, new lighting system, new vehicle, focus on non-linear objective oriented combat etc.

Besides, who cares if it's $30. Hardly anyone who wants Ep2 is going to skip out on the orange box.

B7ozVfx.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, it looks like a lot more work is going into Ep2 compared to Episodes 1. Cinematic Physics, new enemies, new lighting system, new vehicle, focus on non-linear objective oriented combat etc.

Besides, who cares if it's $30. Hardly anyone who wants Ep2 is going to skip out on the orange box.

What about the Zombine and HDR. (Okay, HDR was in Lost Coast, but that was only a tech demo.)

3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Portal... TF2... Episode 2... on the same day.

I cannot take this much awesome.

My company is looking for a remote short term (3-6 mo) contractor with remarkable JS and CSS experience who has worked in a team environment at least once before. If you are or know someone who is, PM me for details.
    edited September 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

What about the Zombine and HDR. (Okay, HDR was in Lost Coast, but that was only a tech demo.)

Fair points, admittedly. The zombine was more of a twist on the classic head-crab zombie, and like you said HDR was new.

Episode 2 does have a new weapon as well, and the ability for monsters to latch unto your vehicle. But, hopefully the real reason why it's $10 more is that it is longer.

B7ozVfx.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So what do all of these games require to play? Something that can run EP 1 or do you need a stronger machine?

• SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KingGraham wrote: »
    This Steam thread just reminded me of my greatest gaming regret of the last hundred years: Not buying Peggle when it was $10 this summer... What the hell was I thinking!!?

You'll be happy to hear that Peggle Deluxe has been cut back to $10 again. And judging by the fact that it's now the fourth best selling game on Steam, I'd say giving out a trial in Peggle Extreme was a great idea. Oh Valve, I wish I could give you all my money.

edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So what do all of these games require to play? Something that can run EP 1 or do you need a stronger machine?

Probably something a bit stronger then a machine that can just manage Episode 1, as the engine has been upgraded and expanded to do more intensive stuff, like large outdoor environments.

Also, new av and sig to match my stream community av sig, for less confusion. :D

B7ozVfx.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »

System requirements on this page.

In the TF2 thread there's also a link to something that will check if you machine can play it.

3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fortress Forever has been released. I'll personally wait for TF2 on monday.

camo_sig2.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Suds wrote: »

I'm all for giving Fortress Forever a shot. I'm sure the two will play differently enough (and look different enough) to warrant having both installed at the same time. I just hope players of all skill levels are going to be playing this as well, since I've lost my medic magic a LONG time ago and will be getting absolutely freaking stomped all over the place.

• ShensShens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »

I'm all for giving Fortress Forever a shot. I'm sure the two will play differently enough (and look different enough) to warrant having both installed at the same time. I just hope players of all skill levels are going to be playing this as well, since I've lost my medic magic a LONG time ago and will be getting absolutely freaking stomped all over the place.

I am sure I will get stomped all over the place, since this game was essentially made for the TFC clanners. I haven't actively played TFC since it was on WON. I doubt new players will be playing this for long, mostly thanks to TF2 being new to everyone and probably a helluva lot more friendly for pubbing.

• MnemonicmanMnemonicman Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Buying the Orange Box now is awfully tempting even when I already have HL2 and EP1.

I guess this player http://steamcommunity.com/id/mnemonicman/ will have to play the half-life games more.

Edit: Thanks for the quick invite.

• ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I broke down and bought Orange Box today, even though I'd say I wait tomorrow when I get paid. Now to find a sap I can unload these extra games to.

Monday, chums. It's on. Even though I suck at TF.

(Peggle is a neat little bonus. --Workplace_Productivity; )

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Broke for the Orange Box... Figure EP 1 was $20, DoD:S was $20, toss in Portal as a $5 extra and it comes out well. Hopefully works out that each is worth more than I paid.

(also, could you give steejee an invite, the PA forums have served well for wasting time over the last year)

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User
    edited September 2007
    You'll be happy to hear that Peggle Deluxe has been cut back to $10 again.

Jesus, when the hell did that happen?

And why doesn't the store or the community or...anything work right now? It's almost like they don't want what little money I have.

• schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While the website and such all seem to be borked right now, I would appreciate an invite some time, since this seems a spectacular way to find good people to play with. Thank you in advance!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/schmads/

I had no idea what Peggle was, but man, Peggle Extreme was awesome, and definitely will have them another sale once it's all working again.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
    edited September 2007
    So that's interesting....I went to purchase Peggle and it spent quite a few minuntes "working" before coming to the conclusion that it wasn't going to authorize my subscription... Has this happened to anyone else? Are they really getting hammered that hard today? I hope they didn't charge my credit card because I certainly have nothing at all to show for this quasi-transaction.

Edit: They game does indeed show up on my games list, it just can't be installed...so I guess that will work itself out in due time. I'll give it a few days before trying to buy Orange Box I guess.

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am thoroughly confused. Why do people like Peggle?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate to sound like a beggar, but I would love to join the PA Steam community and play with you lovely gentlemen.

If I'm doing this right then my ID is https://steamcommunity.com/id/thetrevor. Do you need an account name or anything else?

sigleftyp0.pngbaty8.pngzuneenderfinaltw6.png
  • thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    I hate to sound like a beggar, but I would love to join the PA Steam community and play with you lovely gentlemen.

If I'm doing this right then my ID is https://steamcommunity.com/id/thetrevor. Do you need an account name or anything else?

Slip me a twenty and I'll see what I can do.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Would 20 hugs work? <3

sigleftyp0.pngbaty8.pngzuneenderfinaltw6.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I am thoroughly confused. Why do people like Peggle?

Because it's simple fun.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    Would 20 hugs work? <3

You wouldn't want the kind of hugs he gives.

• schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    schmads wrote: »
    While the website and such all seem to be borked right now, I would appreciate an invite some time, since this seems a spectacular way to find good people to play with. Thank you in advance!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/schmads/

I had no idea what Peggle was, but man, Peggle Extreme was awesome, and definitely will have them another sale once it's all working again.

Woo, looks like Steam is working properly now. At least, it's pulling up my profile and other stuff, whereas before it just timed out a lot. I wonder if the new community and upcoming TF2 beta and such are just causing a huge traffic spike.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So...according to system test web thingys, the new Source engine for TF2/Portal/etc incorporates Pixel Shading 1.1.

Crap. >_>

steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wouldn't worry Al

It's backwards compatible all the way to DX8, so you'll be fine.

camo_sig2.png
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2007
    steejee wrote: »
    Broke for the Orange Box... Figure EP 1 was $20, DoD:S was $20, toss in Portal as a $5 extra and it comes out well. Hopefully works out that each is worth more than I paid.

(also, could you give steejee an invite, the PA forums have served well for wasting time over the last year)

It is a bargain.

And I just know that the price will rise when i have the cash to burn.

I also need an invite to the PA group.

Spoiler:
    edited September 2007
    Yay! Peggle is a-go-go!

Still going to give it a day or two before I spring for Orange Box.

• $kill -9$kill -9 Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Hello to all during these glorius days of Steam!

May I please have an invite to the super happy fun time PA group?

My Steam user ID is: kill -9
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/kill-9

I would have gone with the chat room route but there's noone in here.

Edit: Invited! A thousand thanks!

$ps -ef|grep your dreams
  • megabytemegabyte Registered User
    edited September 2007
    I'd like an invite to the group!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mega/

Edit: I'm in, thx!

b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, the PA steam group is gonna be huuuuuge!

Fuck-yeah!

B7ozVfx.png
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2007
    Spoiler:
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The steam site is unresponsive for me right now. =/