As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pants spontaneously unzipping

OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
A pair of my pants spontaneously unzip themselves over the course of maybe 2 hours. Had them for a while, they've always done it but started to do it more frequently as the zipper got worn in I guess. I really like the pants so I want to keep them, anyone have a suggestion how to make them stop doing this?

Currently I'm thinking of dusting some graphite powder on it followed by some water to create an unnoticeable layer of grime to bind it.

Octoparrot on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    A pair of my pants spontaneously unzip themselves over the course of maybe 2 hours. Had them for a while, they've always done it but started to do it more frequently as the zipper got worn in I guess. I really like the pants so I want to keep them, anyone have a suggestion how to make them stop doing this?

Currently I'm thinking of dusting some graphite powder on it followed by some water to create an unnoticeable layer of grime to bind it.

I'm not sure that would work, as powdered graphite is actually a rediculously awesome lubricant. It may make your problem much worse.

Ruckus on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I'm not sure that would work, as powdered graphite is actually a rediculously awesome lubricant. It may make your problem much worse.

It's a ridiculously awesome lubricant unless you're using whatever it's been applied to in a humid environment then it drives you insane trying to scrape the gunk out after about a month. Possibly wanted to speed up that process.

Octoparrot on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You could always put in a new zipper.

That being said, I have a similar pair of pants and if I make sure that the zipper is really snug to the top of its teeth then I usually don't have a problem until I sit down and my pants do that scrunch thing that pants do and the zipper kind of pulls itself downwards.

Uncle Long on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    if you wanna go ghetto with it: zip your pants, then take a safety pin and thread it through the zipper hole, lock the pin and that should hold.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am quite dissapointed as I had thought this would be another 'I have a problem with my girlfriend' thread.

New zipper is prolly the way to go, super cheap at a drycleaners who generally offer basic clothing repair. For temp fixes, a smallish safety pin works, but its a pain if you ever need the zipper unzipped in a hurry. Just fasten the pin under the head of the zipper when it's up.

Sarcastro on
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've had this problem before. The safety pin works great and you can hide it behind a belt. The other thing I found that works surprisingly well is to keep the tab of the zipper all the way up and pointed up, tucking it behind the waist band of the pants. That tends to keep the zipper in place and even takes an extra second or two to unzip them.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    How do the pants fit around your hips?

ViolentChemistry on
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2007
    How do the pants fit around your hips?

:winky:

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hairspray.

Works like a charm to sticky up zippers.

SeñorAmor on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hairspray.

Works like a charm to sticky up zippers.

Lipstick. If only.

Octoparrot on
  • jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't have a solution, rather a cause.

Underpants gnomes.

jotate on