As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OXbox games won't play on 360

SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So I've tried playing Halo and Halo 2 in anticipation of 3, but my 360 is refusing to play any Xbox game I put in, even a until-now unwrapped game I had. The 360 plays DVDs and its own games with no problems. I've resetted, redid the setup and I don't -want- to wipe the hard drive, but I'll do it if I have to. Anyone have any other solution?

smokeco3.jpg
Speakeasy on

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 360 has been online, correct?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You probably need a backwards-compatibility update. If you don't have Live you can download it from the xbox website and burn it to a CD.

zilo on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I assume you have a hard drive?

Have you received the latest BC updates off of live?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is your 360 hooked up to Live?

If not,that's the problem, you need software updates to play those games.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I have a hard drive, and my 360 is completely updated.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It should prompt you to download an update when you start the OXBox game.

Did it do that?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd call MS tech support and see if they can help (without having you send it in).

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kylka: No it hasn't.

Death of Rats: Yeah, I thought I would have to do that, but I wanted to see if anyone here had the same/a similar problem.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only problem iv ever had with Halo 2 on my 360 is that it looks absolutly horrible, just a big mash of pixels and stuff. Like, its playable, but just looks really really bad.

Loathing on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Great, so I buy Breakdown today and everytime you press the X,Y or A button in the game, the entire console freezes.

FUCK BC.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Delete any Halo data you have on the hard drive. If you don't see an XBOX logo with a white background and a system blade prompt to download an update then I dunno.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't had any trouble getting any OXbox games to actually work on mine, but has anyone else noticed that the gamma level makes them look like total poop? Every time I play one, I have to turn my TV brightness way down and contrast way up, and then adjust it back when I want to do pretty much anything else.

It seems to be the same effect that turning the Black Level to "Standard" has on DVD playback (it looks best on my TV on Extended), but that setting doesn't affect this.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I bought breakdown to play on my 360 a couple of months ago. It worked just fine for me, but if your console is freezing, you're not missing much.

Also, @OP:
    You have to be signed into a profile before putting the game in. If you don't sign in, it won't try to download the update, because it assumes you don't want to be online.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    I bought breakdown to play on my 360 a couple of months ago. It worked just fine for me, but if your console is freezing, you're not missing much.

Also, @OP:
    You have to be signed into a profile before putting the game in. If you don't sign in, it won't try to download the update, because it assumes you don't want to be online.

Well it supposedly has to do with the PAL version. That's the one freezing every button press.

I was really looking forward to the game though, the style and the cutscenes were awesome.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »

Also, @OP:

Well it supposedly has to do with the PAL version. That's the one freezing every button press.

I was really looking forward to the game though, the style and the cutscenes were awesome.
    It does have great presentation, and the dedication to immersion is pretty neat. However, melee combat from first person does not work for me. Plus, it takes a while to get into a playable state. I ran out of pistol rounds in the first 30 minutes and had to wait for my retarded sidekick to take out soldiers with cover fire to get more. Once you start getting powers, it's much less abusive.

Funny story: I ended up with this game trying to buy nanobreaker during EBstop's summer sale, and I got the titles confused.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf