As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Kathy Griffin and offending religious people

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2007
    Kathy Griffin is an unfunny and worthless twat for reasons that have nothing to do with the Emmys. Her speech was tasteless and inappropriate in its capacity as an acceptance speech, whether it was her right to say it or not.

If I walk up to you and tell you that your wife is a bitch and she can suck it, I'm an asshole whether I'm making pithy commentary on acceptance speeches or not.

Also, whoever said that what she said wasn't blasphemy should really invest in a good dictionary. I mean, c'mon.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    When was the last time suck it was intended to directly imply oral sex? How does that make it bad? If she had said 'Suck my dick, Jesus', or something, then I could get that, but 'Suck it' has, at least, to me, become an idiom of its own. Kind of like saying something sucks. You are not necessarily talking about its propensity to slurp on wang, just that it is unsatisfactory.

Really? You don't think the term 'Suck it!' started out as a taunt to suck cock? You don't think if something 'sucks' or something 'blows,' you're not denigrating that something to be worthy of only sucking cocks in a bathroom stall at the Olive Garden? It's a belittling term anyways.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But if she was a Christian and was insulting Muhammad and it wasn't an awards show but a televised evangelist meeting, it would be okay?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Really? You don't think the term 'Suck it!' started out as a taunt to suck cock? You don't think if something 'sucks' or something 'blows,' you're not denigrating that something to be worthy of only sucking cocks in a bathroom stall at the Olive Garden? It's a belittling term anyways.

I don't think most people attach a sexual connotation to it, which is what you were implying Griffin did. When I finally five-starred that fucking bitch of a song Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo on hard, and said, "Ha, Yeah! Suck it!" I did not imply that I wanted Rick Derringer to give me head, nor was I claiming that the song was worthy of cock sucking. I was just using a common euphemism to express my triumph over that stupid fucking song.

That said, Rick Derringer should totally give me head for five-starring his stupid song.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    When was the last time suck it was intended to directly imply oral sex? How does that make it bad? If she had said 'Suck my dick, Jesus', or something, then I could get that, but 'Suck it' has, at least, to me, become an idiom of its own. Kind of like saying something sucks. You are not necessarily talking about its propensity to slurp on wang, just that it is unsatisfactory.

I thought I made it clear that I did, but that doesn't mean that it means that exact thing every time it's used.
    I guess not. But yeah. Yes, it is a belittling term, but just because it originally implied oral sex doesn't mean it always does. Besides, even if it did, so what?

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    But if she was a Christian and was insulting Muhammad and it wasn't an awards show but a televised evangelist meeting, it would be okay?

No, she'd be a useless twat for entirely different reasons.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No, she'd be a useless twat for entirely different reasons.

Well okay then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Only Jesus would be capable of sucking a vagina.

Hoz on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maaaaan, she's just gonna use that Fox clip as fodder for her craptacular show. I watched it once, she was dropping the F-bomb at a rib cook off, all the parents of the little children present were shocked but still clapped politetly when she was done. Then she had the gall to act surpsrised that there were children present.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Ahem. Devil? Yes, I'll be advocating you today.

America is a Christian nation, where almost all of the people are Christian of some sort, thankfully. Kathy Griffin is a heathenish monstrosity who deserves to burn in hell.
    See the thing is she never actually said anything about Christians. She said it about Jesus. If Jesus has a problem with it, He can come down and sue her or burn her with hellfire or something. Personally I think He'd just forgive her though.

Personally, I can't stand Kathy Griffin because I associate her with the horrendous "Suddenly Susan," but you seem to be missing the point.

Christians fundamentalists tend to assume that any attempt to deny Christian supremacy is hate speech against Jesus. The whole "War on Christmas," for instance. Griffin decided to cut straight to the point. It's called IRONY. The fact that Christians couldn't recognize this pretty much proves her argument.

MadTV once did a similar joke about a rapper who thanks God after winning a music award, and then God intervenes via voice over and states that he had no part in this award because he's not the type of guy who advocates slapping around your hos. Griffin took that joke to it's logical conclusion.

A lot of comedians make jokes about how their parents would always told them to eat their food, because there are orphans starving in other countries, but no matter how much they ate their food, the orphans continued to starve. We've all heard that punchline before, or similar punchlines.

Suppose I took the same premise, but I reply with, "Yeah, you know what? I don't give a rat's ass. Suck it, orphans!" Again, it's irony. It's not actually an attack on orphans, despite what the words might suggest. t's an attack on the underlying premise. Which other people have attacked as well, but from a different direction. In the case of Griffen, the underlying premise is that we are a Christian nation, where we have to be forcefed Jesus at every given opprotunity.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

i wonder if you got your mouth REALLy around it, could you give an entire vagina a hickey in one go?

The CNN thingy on this was scary. They interviewed some religious type representatives from a bunch of different religions. One was Islamic, and when asked what would happen in the Islamic world if someone made a similar attack against Mohammad he answered

"Well, some would respond with the pen, in a diplomatic fashion. Some would not respond at all. But there is a certain... extreme element that would respond in a very decisive, and... less diplomatic way. Not that I endorse this, I am just saying that it exists."

I really couldn't believe that no one gave a shit that he said that.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited September 2007
    Maaaaan, she's just gonna use that Fox clip as fodder for her craptacular show. I watched it once, she was dropping the F-bomb at a rib cook off, all the parents of the little children present were shocked but still clapped politetly when she was done. Then she had the gall to act surpsrised that there were children present.

Yeah, that is pretty dumb on her part but.. who cares if there were kids. They've all probably already heard the "bad" words before, despite their parents attempts at sheltering them. Of course, the whole idea of "bad" words is fucking ridiculous and worth a thread of its own entirely... so I won't get into it.

Edit: I'm sure what I just wrote is going to bother a few people.. and I'll elaborate on it at a later time. I'm too busy to do so ATM.

i wonder if you got your mouth REALLy around it, could you give an entire vagina a hickey in one go?

The CNN thingy on this was scary. They interviewed some religious type representatives from a bunch of different religions. One was Islamic, and when asked what would happen in the Islamic world if someone made a similar attack against Mohammad he answered

"Well, some would respond with the pen, in a diplomatic fashion. Some would not respond at all. But there is a certain... extreme element that would respond in a very decisive, and... less diplomatic way. Not that I endorse this, I am just saying that it exists."

I can understand why you'd consider it alarming, but what he said has some accuracy to it. He even said he's not condoning such reactions.. just that they'd very likely occur because that's how it is. Of course, it's still his opinion..

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Edit: consolidated my two posts into the one above.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Merovingi wrote: »

It sounded more like a thinly veiled threat to me. I know he SAID he didn't condone it, but it really just sounded like "well, we'd kill her"

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why? It's not like they're alone. I take it that you don't remember the little shitfit Rudy had over Piss Christ, do you?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    piss christ?

Edit: hahahahaha that's awesome.

But the guy wasn't very well hydrated.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It sounded more like a thinly veiled threat to me. I know he SAID he didn't condone it, but it really just sounded like "well, we'd kill her"

Ah, I see. I didn't actually catch that segment so a lot of the emotion and language behind what he said is lost on me.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ah, I see. I didn't actually catch that segment so a lot of the emotion and language behind what he said is lost on me.

I suppose he could have meant it benignly, but just imagine some right wing catholic saying that gay people should be carefull, cause certain individuals might take it upon themselves to be violent.

It really doesn't sound innocent to me

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    piss christ?

The thing that was more important was the reaction, especially at the official level - good ol' Mayor Rudy threatened to withdraw all the city funding for the museum if they didn't get rid of it.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    piss christ?

The thing that was more important was the reaction, especially at the official level - good ol' Mayor Rudy threatened to withdraw all the city funding for the museum if they didn't get rid of it.

Isn't rudy running for president? Jesus.

Your country really needs to take its head out of its ass.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LadyM wrote: »
    I have no idea who Kathy Griffin is. Her comments don't seem "shocking" to me. It's a joke about how most people thank God for giving them an Emmy. Wooo.

If that can be classified as "hate speech", I hate to think of all the people Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientologists will be suing, since to mention them is to mock them.

I saw a South Park episode where the scientologists thought the best solution was to sue everybody. Then there are the threats thrown around after Project Freakout was exposed. Lisa McPherson. Trying to sue Google. But do Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses really have a reputation for suing people?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The "we" in that sentence is a minority, though, as the quote pointed out. Nothing in your quote implies that the man considers himself a part of that minority, and it seems unfair to assume that he condones their actions. I don't understand what response you expected. It's common knowledge that many people would use violence to enforce their terrible world views onto others, and it's not like what he said is surprising or unkown. Did you expect the interviewer to flip out and go on a rant about Islamic fundamentalists, or something?

Describing that in some parts of the world certain actions and beliefs are punished with violence does not necessarily imply a "threat" is being made, it's merely a statement of fact. You don't have to agree with the practice to acknowledge that it exists.

Navoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I have no idea who Kathy Griffin is. Her comments don't seem "shocking" to me. It's a joke about how most people thank God for giving them an Emmy. Wooo.

If that can be classified as "hate speech", I hate to think of all the people Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientologists will be suing, since to mention them is to mock them.

I saw a South Park episode where the scientologists thought the best solution was to sue everybody. Then there are the threats thrown around after Project Freakout was exposed. Lisa McPherson. Trying to sue Google. But do Scientologists and Jehovah's Witnesses really have a reputation for suing people?

Dude, seriously, look up "fair game" in the context of Scientology. You'll be scared.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And the Jehovah's Witnesses?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God dammit, Kathy Griffin is so fucking annoying. More annoying than Carrot Top. Anyways, I really suspect fading stars say stupid shit all the time just to get their name in the news. Rosie did it, and I suspect Kathy did too.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    No, they only tend to litigate over religious freedom issues, they don't really give a crap about insults, I dunno why LadyM is lumping them in with the scientologists.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007

In other news, the Swedish artist that made the roundabout dogs (with Mohammed's head on it) just got a death threat from Al-Qaida.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »

In other news, the Swedish artist that made the roundabout dogs (with Mohammed's head on it) just got a death threat from Al-Qaida.

Moderate Islam: 'Boys will be boys!'

Malkor on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's insulting when people thank god. In all of your ignorant ego-stroking why do you think that any being divine or almighty gives a shit who wins the football game or who wins the award.

It really pisses me off when people thank god for surgeons fixing them up. They always say that god guided the surgeons hands.

Yeah, right... it wasn't the near 23 years of solid education and thousands of hours of practice. God intervened just for you.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    No, they only tend to litigate over religious freedom issues, they don't really give a crap about insults, I dunno why LadyM is lumping them in with the scientologists.

I wasn't implying that they were litigious, just that they get made fun of a lot.

LadyM on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Making fun of religion in any way is fair game in my books. Plus I hate it when everyone thanks jesus at those acceptance speaches, man is that irritating.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Making fun of religion in any way is fair game in my books. Plus I hate it when everyone thanks jesus at those acceptance speaches, man is that irritating.
    What if you're hella coked out for months on end, then you meet a preacher and turn your life around and win a Cable Ace Award?

Malkor on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What if you're hella coked out for months on end, then you meet a preacher and turn your life around and win a Cable Ace Award?

Then thank the preacher.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

In any way? Really? Because there are some boundaries no one here would cross when making fun of religion. It's one thing to make light-hearted jabs at Vishnu, it's another to make a youtube video of someone defecating on a copy of the Torah.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

In any way? Really? Because there are some boundaries no one here would cross when making fun of religion. It's one thing to make light-hearted jabs at Vishnu, it's another to make a youtube video of someone defecating on a copy of the Torah.

I think Kevin McDonald put it best:

My next idea was something I call "Butchering a Cow."

They said, "Oh great, uh what's that a clever analogy for?"

I said, "Analogy, my sweet ass. I bring a cow onstage, I name him, and then I butcher the damn thing. Chopping and chopping and chopping."

They said, "Sure, uh Kevin, it's funny on paper, but where does it go?"

Where does it go? I'm choppin' up a cow. I'm covered in blood. It writes itself. Still, all day, all I heard, [whiny:] "Where does it go? Where does it go?"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

I wasn't implying that they were litigious, just that they get made fun of a lot.

Got any examples of where they're being made fun of a lot.

Maybe a little ... but I'd guess the Catholics, the Mormons, Unitarians, and the Amish get more jabs than Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not saying they're not being made fun of. Maybe I just miss it when it happens.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've never heard anyone make fun of Unitarians. I'd say Jehova's Witnesses get about as many jabs in common conversation around me as the Amish or Mormons do.

Well, not anymore, now that I'm going to college in Pennsylvania, there are actual Amish people nearby.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Preists don't like Unitarians, or at least the one's I've met don't.

Malkor on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's ridiculous that they even let it be a blip on their radar.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that they even let it be a blip on their radar.

If you don't keep pointing out every single person who says something bad about Christianity, you can't pretend you are a majority being oppressed.

DarkPrimus on