As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How I make at symbol

ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I`ve got a new laptop, and it`s got more than a few bugs. For the 570 I paid for it though, i`m happy.

One concern that I have is that every now and then, for no freaking reason, the keyboard will go wonky and for some reason none of the symbols are where they are supposed to be. It`s happened right now. I can`t type an AT symbol cause when I hit shift+2 i get ". I don`t know if you fuckers are seeing an AT symbol, but I`m seeing parenthesis.

Other symbol placements are fucked up too. Question marks don`t work, I get É for my trouble of hitting shift+slash.

and slash by itself gets me é.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zonkytonkman on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    go to the language bar on the bottom right of the taskbar and change it back from canadian multilingual to us.

stigweard on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What brand/model is it?

Also, is there a chance you are holding down the function key, or that it's stuck? Holding down the function (fn) key opens up a whole new set of symbols to type.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    go to the language bar on the bottom right of the taskbar and change it back from canadian multilingual to us.

oh fucking thank you.

So the new question is how come it randomly self fucks itself?

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What brand/model is it?

Also, is there a chance you are holding down the function key, or that it's stuck? Holding down the function (fn) key opens up a whole new set of symbols to type.

hp PAVILLION dv 2000

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty sure it didn't. There is a hotkey sequence for changing the keyboard on the fly, but I can't remember what it is.

edit: You could always set the default to US and then delete the other options. The language bar will go away and it won't swap anymore.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That would be neat.

Yeah, i tend to mash keys on this thing, so it's entirely possibly i just splooged my way into Quebec.

Thanks much man.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This happens to me regularly too. It's no fault of your own.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can completely turn the language bar off in the control panel I believe.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ALT+SHIFT is the default key sequence to switch languages. Just go into your control panel, Regional and Language Settings, Languages tab and the Details button (assuming you are on WinXP) - uninstall any input languages you don't want and you can even disable the Language bar too.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, as stated, set the language to the one you intend to use and disable the language bar completely.

It may have been in a shipment originally meant for a store in Quebec if you bought it from a large chain.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH