As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making fantasies real.

ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Finally...
Yar wrote: »
Anyway, Aemilius, we might need another thread on your horribly mistaken idea that there is no such thing as right and wrong without a government to make it practically so.

Oh we most certainly do, as a little thing like a government isn't nearly sufficient to make those fantasies real...

Wha-wha-What?! Government decides right and wrong? And here I thought all those kooky scientists and anthropologists consistently finding that morality and altruism was literally hard-wired into us, an evolutionary product. Not even religion is responsible for morality. It woudl be hard to find examples in modern society, because those odd scientists went off and discovered small civilizations and tribes in Africa and which had no idea of a religion, no special spiritual beliefs of any kind, yet had moral code. Basic morality is not the result of government, by any means. At all.

Like I said, it takes something bigger than government to make those fantasies "real". Besides, I'm not surprised to find that in every society in the world there is some sort of set of general behavioral norms held to the labels "right" and "wrong" or "good" and "bad", as without an agreed upon set of rules for interaction you can't have a society. I wouldn't be surprised if various non-human animals could be found to have "hardwired-morals" too. Pfft, "hardwired". In living things the potential for deviation and mutation from the "original specs" is nigh infinite, particularly given the absence of any actual original specs.

ViolentChemistry on