As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40k?] Any info on Warhammer 40k MMO...

• riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have been thinking about this a bit, and I have to agree. Making it as a FPS hybrid would help to put it outside the pack as far as MMOs are concerned.

I kinda think that in order to balance it out appropriately they would have to make it very different from the normal MMO paradigms. A great example would be how an individual Space Marine is pretty much leagues above individual Orks or Guardsmen. So I was thinking that the best way to handle this problem would be to make it so that you could either play as a single Space Marine, or you could play as a fireteam of Eldar (around 3-5 individuals), or you could play as a squad of Orks or Guard (around 10).

Not totally sure how this would be implemented in-game, but I suppose it's not my job to figure such things out. Similarly I'm not sure how the race divisions would work out. I figured they could take a hint from Warhammer Online and have six initial races, with 3 on the order side and 3 on the chaos side. Only problem is what the 3rd race of the Chaos forces would be...although Dark Eldar would make sense...too bad they're so insanely unpopular. Also, I want some Tyranids. Not sure where they'd fit in as PCs...

..Or why they'd align themselves with Chaos..

riven5 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I first heard about this, I was fairly sure that you wouldn't be able to play as a space marine, for that exact reason. Or that if you could, they'd be sort of like jedi originally were in SW:G.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe if the requirements for Space Marines were insanely high. Like you'd have to spend a long time as a neophyte, and to make sure there aren't too many people running around as SMs, your implants would eventually fail after a certain amount of time/damage forcing you to start over with your old implants which would hold your stats and such.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    riven5 wrote: »
    ... Also, I want some Tyranids. Not sure where they'd fit in as PCs...

..Or why they'd align themselves with Chaos..

The 1st edition Compendium had 'Stealer Cult rules-- including guidelines for them being corrupted by Chaos.

Khornate Genestealers are not a good thing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Tyranids plz.

Also,

Chaos.

Because the emperor is rotting carcass, Carrion Lord of the Imperium.

Astronomican says what? Who killed Horus in a single blow again? Sorry it's just I forgot.

Coldbrand on
    edited September 2007
    They should get the people who make Natural Selection to develop this game, this is the one and only true answer. Even though I'll still be playing this game either way. Even if the reviews are shit...

Coldbrand on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Tyranids plz.

Also,

Chaos.

Because the emperor is rotting carcass, Carrion Lord of the Imperium.

Astronomican says what? Who killed Horus in a single blow again? Sorry it's just I forgot.

If you've never read that Bill King story, you've never read decent game related short fiction.

"Look me in my eyes and tell me I'm deluded."

"You are deluded."

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Another vote for the Tau. Yes Please!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • girlgamer23girlgamer23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I figured this game was going to be just like Battlefield 2 but with WH40k races.

girlgamer23 on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    girl that would be very cool, just have set maps to fight over certain strategic pts etc. that would work well hmmm interesting. I'm curious as to wha tthe game will be like.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Zephyranthes91Zephyranthes91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    girl that would be very cool, just have set maps to fight over certain strategic pts etc. that would work well hmmm interesting. I'm curious as to wha tthe game will be like.

That would be kinda lame, then everyone wuld be calling it a batlle field 2 rip off. im pretty sure its gonna be an MMORPG and that would totally defeat the RPG part.

Edit: i always make spelling errors and i have to go back and fix them, i hate my school laptops.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
    edited September 2007

That would be kinda lame, then everyone wuld be calling it a batlle field 2 rip off. im pretty sure its gonna be an MMORPG and that would totally defeat the RPG part.

Edit: i always make spelling errors and i have to go back and fix them, i hate my school laptops.

If it's like World of Warcraft or Everquest then that would be totally lame. I'm hoping for some kind of balance between the two genres, with more of what Planetside tried to do.

Malkor on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

If it's like World of Warcraft or Everquest then that would be totally lame. I'm hoping for some kind of balance between the two genres, with more of what Planetside tried to do.

Not really. I'd love a WoW-like MMO in a Sci-Fi setting. Generic Tolkienesque fantasy setting are really starting to become a bore.

Tav on
    edited September 2007
    Tav wrote: »

Not really. I'd love a WoW-like MMO in a Sci-Fi setting. Generic Tolkienesque fantasy setting are really starting to become a bore.

Maybe for a new IP, but WH40k isn't really about dungeon crawling. It's about war and death and killing large amounts of dudes without remorse with chainswords and blunt objects and shooty. Blood and guts and pus! I'll probably end up trying it no matter what though, it's been awhile since I've played a MMO.

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    It should be like Natural Selection you heathens, I already explained this.

Coldbrand on
    edited September 2007

I really really doubt it will be a MMORPG since they said in their press release they are making a MMO and they are very carefull about the wording when they give out press release.

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007

ehh not really there are a ton of games already like it out Quake Wars, Front Lines, Joint Ops.

girlgamer23 on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    none of those are mmos or rpgs

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »

actually all of those are considered mmos and not to mention Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 2, Quake Wars all have slight RPG elements

girlgamer23 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

actually all of those are considered mmos

I don't know how any of them work, but do they all involved many hundreds of players all able to congregate together at the same time, in a large, persistent world?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2007
    Septus wrote: »

actually all of those are considered mmos

I don't know how any of them work, but do they all involved many hundreds of players all able to congregate together at the same time, in a large, persistent world?

not really they are like massive FPS, i beleive Joint ops can have the most players in it with 150 people and maps up to 1 mile. the large persistent world is the only part they really don't have and thats sort of a fexible requirement these days.

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007
    Eh, I wouldn't consider it an MMO without it, but it's all semantics. It drastically changes the way a game feels to have one big persistent world.

Septus on
    edited September 2007
    Eh, I wouldn't consider it an MMO without it, but it's all semantics. It drastically changes the way a game feels to have one big persistent world.
    oh i agree but yeah the developers and all consider having a game that is played pretty much all online is a mmo so eh whatever.

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007
    Those are online shooters. They are not MMO's. If you consider them to be MMO's, then what exactly are online shooters? Even a quick Google search brings up the same definition.
    MMO
    (abbrev) : a massively multiplayer online game. A game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world

Tav on
    edited September 2007
    Those are online shooters. They are not MMO's. If you consider them to be MMO's, then what exactly are online shooters? Even a quick Google search brings up the same definition.
    MMO
    (abbrev) : a massively multiplayer online game. A game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world

you are arguing over semantics it dosn't matter if it has the persistent world that part isn't really part of the definition anymore. If you want to get mad at some on get made at the developers who call their games MMOs

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007
    MMO

you are arguing over semantics it dosn't matter if it has the persistent world that part isn't really part of the definition anymore. If you want to get mad at some on get made at the developers who call their games MMOs

I'm not arguing over semantics, I asked what you though online shooters were if you classed those games as MMO's. Just throwing in the definition to back-up that MMO has a pretty clear definition that those games don't conform to.

I'm not mad, I've had my pills today.

Tav on
    edited September 2007
    As long as I don't have to camp a Monolith, waiting for the Nightbringer to spawn...

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    MMO

Oh, the Joint Ops and Quake Wars people actually call their games MMOs? :lol:

Sounds like they're unsucessfully trying to change the definition to capture the massively booming MMO market.

Septus on
  • Zephyranthes91Zephyranthes91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think a good way to make it would be like continuing the DoW story line, but playing it like Lost Planet or Gears of War. And also if anyone here was around for the AQ WoW event where a mass army was built up, kinda like that as a TPS while continuing the DoW story line.

Also another way that would be pretty cool is making it so you play through the ranks, like starting out as an initiate, then moving up to an Astartes, then moving through the Astartes ranks till you wind up being like a Captain of a full company. That would be awesome. Wouldnt leave my computer for weeks.

Made 6 or 7 corrections, stupid school laptops.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, to be sure, there are so many awesome things it could be, and the bar was finally set high with DoW, I'm just afraid they'll take the most conservative route out there, and we'll see what we've seen before dressed up in gothic science fantasy.

Malkor on
    edited September 2007
    you do realize they consider Phatasy Star Online a MMO

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007

Devs maybe, I've never heard of a player considering as such, since it's not massive or persistent, it's Phantasy Star Diablo 2.

Septus on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Maybe for a new IP, but WH40k isn't really about dungeon crawling.

I dunno, space hulks really seem like the ultimate sci-fi dungeon crawl.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2007

Devs maybe, I've never heard of a player considering as such, since it's not massive or persistent, it's Phantasy Star Diablo 2.

exatcly and its the devolpers calling it a mmo so there you go.

girlgamer23 on
    edited September 2007
    You do God damn realize that Planetside played nothing like an MMO and was excellent right? My idea for it to play like Natural Selection is referring to what the combat should be like. Have any of you fuckers even played it? Aside from the field commander aspect, the game is dead on perfect for Space Marines or Imperial Guardsmen for lighter armored units, against Tyranids. Playing the aliens in NS is also incredibly well done, climbing the ceilings silently and jumping down on a marine's head feels just right, and the way the sounds in the game works, it creates the aspect of terror you always see in any of the Black Library's descriptions of what it's like to face tyranids.

It shouldn't be like fucking World of Warcraft, who the Hell wants to be degraded into some jack ass grinding and sitting through timesinks so that whatever company runs the damn thing can make enormous profits? Do you want to sit in the sidecar of a Land Speeder for ten or more minutes viewing the God damn scenery in a blatantly obvious means of keeping you in the game so that they can continue to drain money out of your wallet? That's dogshit. There shouldn't be any garbage cooldowns for a psyker to light your body ablaze, or a Catachan to jab his adamantine knife into your ribcage. Warhammer 40,000 is built upon intense fast paced combat, that of a shooter, and it'll obvious need melee aspects as well, that's probably best left to third person, swinging your Chainsword like a jackass in an Elder Scrolls game would also be awful.

This goes beyond the idea of not everyone can be a hero, and the universe's big bad dude (Chaplain) to nearly worthless fighter ratio (Hormagant, Gretchin) is incredibly diverse and spanned out. The best idea in this thread so far is without a doubt having difficult advancement through the different stages of the military hierarchy. Starting off as a greenhorn from some foreign Imperial Colony on some distant planet from Home as a Guardsmen is not only a captivating and immersing experience, but also one that can lead to the idea of advancement. Gaining acceptance among your new comrades, moving up in the ranks, and by endgame maybe being something along the lines of a Commissar would make a Hell of a lot more sense.

And again, I'm not sure if it's still the case, but there was at least a time where there wasn't a fucking bowstring with the archery in World of Warcraft, that is not the God damn model you want to use for a game that with Necrons, IG, Inquisition, Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Orks, and even some Tyranids, you will be seeing endless firearm or firearm equivalent shooting. However, the need for third person is also apparent, because of those many also are notorious for close ranged combat, especially in the case of the foul xenos. Having both is a new trend in MMO's, and the developers should learn from the games about to hit the market, I know Hellgate will have it, I'm pretty sure Conan will, and I believe some Unreal Championship games zoom out to third person. There are references for them to work with.

So help me Emperor though, a grindfest piece of shit is not what 40k deserves to be degraded into, the IP has well over what the requirements are to make an engaging world with tons of replayability without relying on the basic MMO elements of addiction that foul up the majority of the RPG's on the market, especially the ones hailing from the East (particularly South Korea), and the Hardcore SoE modeled shit that fouls up our shores as well.

Coldbrand on
    edited September 2007
    tl;dr

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited September 2007
    tl;dr

We can always count on you for trolling Wren, I'm glad to see you're still functioning.

Coldbrand on
    edited September 2007
    all systems operational

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tl;dr

We can always count on you for trolling Wren, I'm glad to see you're still functioning.

It's not really trolling if it's a viable complaint. I got to, "Natural Selection... have any of you fuckers even played it?" I was there when babblers were in the game, when jetpack+welder was the hive killing strat, lifeforms were purely based on respoints, and all sorts of other things that are ten patches out of date now. Being confrontational or playing the more-hardcore-than-thou card generally does put people off, and coupled with several paragraphs is enough to get someone to dismiss you.

zerg rush on
    edited September 2007
    More hardcore than thou? I bashed hardcore gaming, and I teased Wren because we're both from SE++ so I'm used to his antics, why don't you mind your fucking business.
    So help me Emperor though, a grindfest piece of shit is not what 40k deserves to be degraded into, the IP has well over what the requirements are to make an engaging world with tons of replayability without relying on the basic MMO elements of addiction that foul up the majority of the RPG's on the market, especially the ones hailing from the East (particularly South Korea), and the Hardcore SoE modeled shit that fouls up our shores as well.

Coldbrand on