As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meteorite hits peru, makes hundreds sick!!!

amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhourThe woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Don't know if this has been posted or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm

This is pretty damned horrible and pretty damned interesting at the same time. Basically a meteorite hit (that's still being debated though) and caused a twenty foot deep by sixty foot wide crater, the bottom of which is full of bubbling and boiling water, even now. It's fumes and impact area are causing some kind of poisoning that's making everyone who gets near it sick.

While this is a tragedy, does anyone else find the concept of space radiation rock hitting earth kind of.... I dunno, interesting. It doesn't happen often, its a once in a lifetime kind of event.

I'm just waiting for reports that the Peruvian Justice Leauge has been formed, and is now ready to clean up Columbia...

are YOU on the beer list?
amateurhour on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Couldn't it be an underground source of methane or something that finally found its way to the surface? If it's under high enough pressure, it could make a pretty big crater.

Doc on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And then the first Peruium War began, with the West forming the GDI and the East forming the NOD. Be cool if it was a meteorite though. Its not its like some unknown gas, just some methane, I just made some of that like 5 minutes ago.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reports have ruled out that the actual cause of the explosion was underground, but they are saying that something could have landed down and sparked the methane. There were to many witnesses that saw something fall from the sky. Researchers have been using the term "fireball" a lot, but they won't say what could have caused it.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Couldn't it be an underground source of methane or something that finally found its way to the surface? If it's under high enough pressure, it could make a pretty big crater.

I don't think methane is able to cause sickness, it's just highly volatile and in confined spaces can displace oxygen resulting in asphyxia.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Isn't this how the Zombie Apocalypse starts?

Time to go polish up mah zomba' gun.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I don't think methane is able to cause sickness, it's just highly volatile and in confined spaces can displace oxygen resulting in asphyxia.
    Or it was aliens.
    Everyone knows aliens always come out of space rocks.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    a penguin wrote: »
    Isn't this how the Zombie Apocalypse starts?

Time to go polish up mah zomba' gun.

http://zombiehunters.org/index.php

These guys are with you man.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is pretty much how Slither and The Blob began. Cover your mouths, people!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd be all for the beginning of a zombie outbreak. While it would suck to live in a post apocalyptic world, I'd at least be out of debt... WOOHOO!

amateurhour on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Try again.

Symptoms of hypoxia: Shortness of breath, headache, fatigue, nausea, seizures, coma, death...

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Try again.

Symptoms of hypoxia: Shortness of breath, headache, fatigue, nausea, seizures, coma, death...

That post was infinitely more impressive since your avatar is House..... good show man...

amateurhour on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Try again.

Deaths a pretty bad symptom i'd say.

Johannen on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been following this story as much as possible; I find this kind of thing fascinating. From what I've gathered there are two pretty plausible theories circulating:

1. As mentioned, a regular meteor just happened to strike a pressurized pocket of noxious gas underground. Unlikely, but not impossible. Alternatively, the meteor itself may be made of heavy metals that were carried into the atmosphere by the vaporizing groundwater.

2. There are a lot of undocumented, aging Cold-War-era satellites with simple nuclear cores out there. It's not unthinkable that one of them could deorbit and crash. Again, as the groundwater vaporized on impact, the radioactive material would be spread through the air - fallout, basically. Many of the symptoms displayed by people in the area are also associated with mild radiation poisoning.

Either way, it's a crazy story. The fact that the water at the bottom of the crater is still boiling is very strange - it means that either there's a supply of gas bubbles coming up through the water or whatever object sits under there is still radiating enough energy to boil the water.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Death by space dust. I for one welcome our new noxious overlords.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shit, look out! Rylocks!

I am fascinated by this turn of events. All I can do, though, is watch and see what happens.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Shit, look out! Rylocks!

I am fascinated by this turn of events. All I can do, though, is watch and see what happens.

I sat and watched as the meteorite hatched and the alien inside conquered all of humanity.
    And then no humanity was there to save me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "So it came to pass, that the human race fell... and the Earth was no more. And I looked down upon my new dominion, as Master of all, and I thought it... good."

drums1.jpg

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Try again.

I don't see how hypoxia could occur over an extended period of time in a wide open space like that.

I'm not saying it can't happen, just... I'd have to be convinced.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Feral wrote: »

Try again.

I don't see how hypoxia could occur over an extended period of time in a wide open space like that.

inconceivable-1.jpg

yeah, I don't really go for the whole, "hypoxia over an open area" either.. it's the fucking martians

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Well, I was really rebutting the idea that Methane can't cause sickness; anything that replaces oxygen in the air can make you feel ill. It's not a binary "feelin' fine" or "asphyxiated" thing.

But yeah, you're unlikely to get it in that kind of concentration in an open environment.

The story's pretty light on details, but
    People who visited the scene have been complaining of headaches, vomiting and nausea after inhaling gases.

Suggests to me that people who go peer into the crater come away feeling ill. Now it's a good bet that if you're peering down at a pool of water with gas bubbling out of it, you're inhaling the gasses bubbling out of it.If the gas happens to be an oxygen antagonist, you could potentially have hypoxic symptoms even while surrounded by oxygen.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah, I don't really go for the whole, "hypoxia over an open area" either.. it's the fucking martians

Or something toxic in the soil, poisonous fungus, alkaline in an underground resevoir, what have you...

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2007

Well, I was really rebutting the idea that Methane can't cause sickness; anything that replaces oxygen in the air can make you feel ill. It's not a binary "feelin' fine" or "asphyxiated" thing.

But yeah, you're unlikely to get it in that kind of concentration in an open environment.

The story's pretty light on details, but
    People who visited the scene have been complaining of headaches, vomiting and nausea after inhaling gases.
    Suggests to me that people who go peer into the crater come away feeling ill. Now it's a good bet that if you're peering down at a pool of water with gas bubbling out of it, you're inhaling the gasses bubbling out of it.If the gas happens to be an oxygen antagonist, you could potentially have hypoxic symptoms even while surrounded by oxygen.

Huh. That sounds reasonable.

Feral on

• Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Try again.

Methane bubbling out of lakes has been known to kill off big groups of people before. I'm failing to find any reference other than this, though.

edit: this particular article says the gas in question was CO2, not methane, but same idea.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

inconceivable-1.jpg

Well, if lakes erupting gas can asphyxiate people over open area, then this seems less unlikely.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~sdrymala/limnic.html

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All I can do, though, is watch and see what happens.
    We all know what's going to happen, don't we?

Needle on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I've never thought of beginning to die because you there's no oxygen available as an illness.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think Senj needs to keep coming up with new theories. He'll figure it out by the end of the thread.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not unless a black dude, an Aussie, and a hot chick jump in and help

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    UnforgivenUnforgiven __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Some of the first reports referenced the size of the crater requiring as much energy as a tactical nuclear weapon in the low kiloton range. Of course, any heavier metals that fall from space are going to have a similar kind of energy. (See: Rods from God.)

Hypoxia isn't the only listed illness... people are complaining of dermal injuries, which is something you'd associate more with radiation or chemical burns, not just oxygen deprivation... correct?

Unforgiven on
    "I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man."
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There's not a bigger piece on it's way following it is there?

I don't want to be killed by a giant meteor hitting us, that's a fucking shit way to die.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

I don't want to be killed by a giant meteor hitting us, that's a fucking shit way to die.

As long as it hits somewhere else, I don't really care. :p

Unforgiven on
    "I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man."
  • Options
    edited September 2007

That could happen.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apparently people nearby are going blind.

<.< >.>

Triffids

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Apparently people nearby are going blind.

<.< >.>

Triffids

Got a link for that one?

Unforgiven on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unforgiven wrote: »

I'd rather be under the meteor than die a slow painful death of planetary extinction.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Unforgiven wrote: »

I'd rather be under the meteor than die a slow painful death of planetary extinction.

I'd rather neither.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been in Zombie Survival Mode since I heard about it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll PM Elks and The Cat. That way we can kill the last two birds with one stone.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everybody grab a shotgun.

And also a chair.

So, a meteorite hit peru? Crazy shit, man.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everybody grab a shotgun.

And also a chair.

...Tenacious D?

Grey Ghost on