As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meteorite hits peru, makes hundreds sick!!!

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, the only thing worse than zombies is zombie animals and insects from a tropical region, I looked through that animal thread... I haven't seen anything other than the fact that the meteor crashed.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everybody grab a shotgun.

And also a chair.

...Tenacious D?
    They reign!

(yes.)

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    UnforgivenUnforgiven __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe it's a publicity stunt for the new Resident Evil movie.

Unforgiven on
    "I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man."
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unforgiven wrote: »

A great publicity stunt would be to give out free tickets because that's the only way I'd ever see it. Maybe.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

A great publicity stunt would be to give out free tickets because that's the only way I'd ever see it. Maybe.
    So, they save you from seeing the godawful movie by making you sick and blind. Good stunt, at least they're merciful.

Johannen on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't know if this has been posted or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm

This is pretty damned horrible and pretty damned interesting at the same time. Basically a meteorite hit (that's still being debated though) and caused a twenty foot deep by sixty foot wide crater, the bottom of which is full of bubbling and boiling water, even now. It's fumes and impact area are causing some kind of poisoning that's making everyone who gets near it sick.

While this is a tragedy, does anyone else find the concept of space radiation rock hitting earth kind of.... I dunno, interesting. It doesn't happen often, its a once in a lifetime kind of event.

I'm just waiting for reports that the Peruvian Justice Leauge has been formed, and is now ready to clean up Columbia...

And hours later, on that day, a strapping, young mild-mannered reporter walks into the employment office of a major city newspaper and requests a job.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Symptoms of hypoxia: Shortness of breath, headache, fatigue, nausea, seizures, coma, death...

That post was infinitely more impressive since your avatar is House..... good show man...

Well, we know it's not lupus. It's never lupus.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Symptoms of hypoxia: Shortness of breath, headache, fatigue, nausea, seizures, coma, death...

That post was infinitely more impressive since your avatar is House..... good show man...

Well, we know it's not lupus. It's never lupus.

Where do blindness and dermal injuries fit in?

Unforgiven on
    "I know you have come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man."
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    a penguin wrote: »
    Isn't this how the Zombie Apocalypse starts?

Time to go polish up mah zomba' gun.

Good thing we had that thread to get everyone ready.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't know if this has been posted or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7001897.stm

This is pretty damned horrible and pretty damned interesting at the same time. Basically a meteorite hit (that's still being debated though) and caused a twenty foot deep by sixty foot wide crater, the bottom of which is full of bubbling and boiling water, even now. It's fumes and impact area are causing some kind of poisoning that's making everyone who gets near it sick.

While this is a tragedy, does anyone else find the concept of space radiation rock hitting earth kind of.... I dunno, interesting. It doesn't happen often, its a once in a lifetime kind of event.

I'm just waiting for reports that the Peruvian Justice Leauge has been formed, and is now ready to clean up Columbia...

And hours later, on that day, a strapping, young mild-mannered reporter walks into the employment office of a major city newspaper and requests a job.

na man, he doesn't speak english, he'd have to go undercover in columbia to take down the drug lords...

and senji, when you say an aussie, black dude, and hot chick, I hope you're referring to his boss, because she's the only hot chick on that show as far as I'm concerned.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    and senji, when you say an aussie, black dude, and hot chick, I hope you're referring to his boss, because she's the only hot chick on that show as far as I'm concerned.

Oh thank God I'm not the only one.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Remember, Thermite owns all.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Veevee wrote: »

I wouldn't so much be worried about that, I'm worried about the masses running around spreading the infection.
    'Little Sally's gonna be just fine. She's just a little sick. I have her tied up for her own good. They'll find a cure...'

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

I wouldn't so much be worried about that, I'm worried about the masses running around spreading the infection.
    'Little Sally's gonna be just fine. She's just a little sick. I have her tied up for her own good. They'll find a cure...'

Malkor's right. Man will never learn.

But yeah, meteor, Peru. Underground gas pocket, eh? What rotten luck.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    RainOPain wrote: »
    In about a month, the area around the meteorite will start turning a color that our minds can't conceive of and it'll just be downhill from there

It makes the trees grow, and they turn such pretty colors, though.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, shit. We've got phazon now, the next step is space pirates looking for phazon. It's all downhill until Samus shows up, and by then we'll all be dead.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Supposedly its a chondritic space rock, which means it's just stuffed full of heavy metals. More likely thats whats making people sick, all the dust from the vaporized space rock. It wouldn't have to be radioactive, just toxic. That would explain the skin injuries and the other effects. Even the blindness if it's true... I still haven't seen that link.

Either way, I say we make a sword out of it, just to be safe.

Unforgiven on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Well, shit. We've got phazon now, the next step is space pirates looking for phazon. It's all downhill until Samus shows up, and by then we'll all be dead.

No way, I plan to be the guy who survives to see Samus coming, and then as I'm about to tell her some vital piece of information a mid-level boss will swoop in and kill me before conveniently exposing his weak point to her.

If that dermal-damage claim is true (I'm having a hard time finding new info on this story that's not holy shit space zombie virus lol), that's pretty damn scary and lends a lot of evidence to the downed nuclear satellite story. I mean, we don't see radioactive rocks hurtling through space every day, do we?

[Edit] - ah hell, heavy metal poisoning does have visible skin effects. you had to go and burst my sensationalist bubble.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »

Damn it! I wanted to make the phazon comment.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's not really what I'd call "safe."

Those things have a tendency to turn on you.

Elendil on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hypoxia isn't the only listed illness... people are complaining of dermal injuries, which is something you'd associate more with radiation or chemical burns, not just oxygen deprivation... correct?
    Actually, you can get those. When one of the lake overturns happened the people that survived the CO2 had burn marks all over their bodies.

Glal on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MSNBC.com wrote:
    LIMA, Peru - A fiery meteorite crashed into southern Peru over the weekend, experts confirmed on Wednesday. But they were still puzzling over claims that it gave off fumes that sickened 200 people.

Witnesses told reporters that a fiery ball fell from the sky and smashed into the desolate Andean plain near the Bolivian border Saturday morning.

Jose Mechare, a scientist with Peru's Geological, Mining and Metallurgical Institute, said a geologist had confirmed that it was a "rocky meteorite," based on the fragments analyzed.

He said water in the meteorite's muddy crater boiled for maybe 10 minutes from the heat and could have given off a vapor that sickened people, and scientists were taking water samples.

"We are not completely certain that there was no contamination," Mechare said.

Jorge Lopez, director of the health department in the state where the meteorite crashed, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that 200 people suffered headaches, nausea and respiratory problems caused by "toxic" fumes emanating from the crater, which is some 65 feet wide and 15 feet deep.

But a team of doctors sent to the isolated site, 3 1/2 hours travel from the state capital of Puno, said they found no evidence the meteorite had sickened people, the Lima newspaper El Comercio reported Wednesday.

Modesto Montoya, a member of the team, was quoted as saying doctors also had found no sign of radioactive contamination among families living nearby, but had taken blood samples from 19 people to be sure.

He said fear may have provoked psychosomatic ailments.

"When a meteorite falls, it produces horrid sounds when it makes contact with the atmosphere," he told the paper. "It is as if a giant rock is being sanded. Those sounds could have frightened them."

Justina Limache, 74, told El Comercio that when she heard the thunderous roar from the sky, she abandoned her flock of alpacas and ran to her small home with her 8-year-old granddaughter. She said that after the meteorite struck, small rocks rained down on the roof of her house for several minutes and she feared the house was going to collapse.

Meteor expert Ursula Marvin said that if people were sickened, "it wouldn't be the meteorite itself, but the dust it raises."

A meteorite "wouldn't get much gas out of the Earth," said Marvin, who has studied the objects since 1961 at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Mass. "It's a very superficial thing.
    I smell a cover up.

:tinfoil hat:

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    MSNBC wrote:
    Modesto Montoya, a member of the team, was quoted as saying doctors also had found no sign of radioactive contamination among families living nearby,

But he's probably just being modest.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    It's the Mole People again! Look what they did in Guatemala!

400460035_cddf4ec5c4.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That wasn't the Mole People, that was Buffy.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What is the plural of "apocalypse"?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Apocalyi?

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    That's not really what I'd call "safe."

Those things have a tendency to turn on you.

No way man.

Didn't you see the Last Legion?

It's a sign.

We've got to reforge Excaliber to help fight off the zombie hordes.

Unforgiven on
  • Options
    captmorgancaptmorgan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The good news is that everybody gets a superpower
    The bad news is that its a really shitty power.

"Hey Jim what can you do now?"
    "I can make my weight increase and decrease by 5 pounds at will, what about you?"
    "Well dill pickles taste 10% more crispy when I`m in the room"

captmorgan on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What is the plural of "apocalypse"?
    Apocalypodes.

Elendil on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    that impact could have particulated a lot of shit thats in the ground. Some of it might be slow to settle. I dont see whats the controversy/excitement about.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    that impact could have particulated a lot of shit thats in the ground. Some of it might be slow to settle. I dont see whats the controversy/excitement about.

It also would have left a *huge* trail of vaporized heavy metals in the atmosphere surrounding the crash site.

Unforgiven on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    captmorgan wrote: »
    The good news is that everybody gets a superpower
    The bad news is that its a really shitty power.

"Hey Jim what can you do now?"
    "I can make my weight increase and decrease by 5 pounds at will, what about you?"
    "Well dill pickles taste 10% more crispy when I`m in the room"

I would want the power to either directly turn water to beer, or be able to speed up the fermentation process by thought alone.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    captmorgan wrote: »

Depending on the acceleration you could muster there, that could be useful for, say, stunning small animals at close range. You could get a moderately lucrative service job as a zookeeper in the Small Mammals House with your superpower.

Don't knock it until you've been attacked by a wild hampster.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I can have any power, I'd like the ability to shapeshift. But! Knowing my luck I'll end up with the power to shrink peoples' shoes using only my mind, or something.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kind of want that pickle-boosting power. Tasty pickles for everyone!

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd like to be God for a day.

Johannen on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    THE MAYANS ARE RETURNING!!!!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    THE SAIYANS ARE RETURNING!!!!

Johannen on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What the heck is going on in this thread?

If I were to have crappy powers, it would be able to control the growth of my finger nails like Meg.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411