As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art Imitating Life: MIT Student Arrested at Logan Intl. Airport with Fake Bomb...

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Awesome, that shirt is from terminalpacketloss.com

Doc on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    huh.
    Mass. Law wrote:
    Section 102A1/2. (a) Whoever possesses, transports, uses or places or causes another to knowingly or unknowingly possess, transport, use or place any hoax device or hoax substance with the intent to cause anxiety, unrest, fear or personal discomfort to any person or group of persons shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(b) For the purposes of this section, the term “hoax device” shall mean any device that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such device is an infernal machine. For the purposes of this section, the term “infernal machine” shall mean any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically. For the purposes of this section, the words “hoax substance” shall mean any substance that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such substance is a harmful chemical or biological agent, a poison, a harmful radioactive substance or any other substance for causing serious bodily injury, endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both.

We must fear the Infernal machines.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    from the article:
    The employee asked about the plastic circuit board on her chest, and Simpson walked away without responding, Pare said.
    if this is true then it sounds like it all could have been avoided.
    If that happens, you ask again. Maybe she didn't hear you, or saw her friend, or whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    huh.
    Mass. Law wrote:
    Section 102A1/2. (a) Whoever possesses, transports, uses or places or causes another to knowingly or unknowingly possess, transport, use or place any hoax device or hoax substance with the intent to cause anxiety, unrest, fear or personal discomfort to any person or group of persons shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years or by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than five years or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(b) For the purposes of this section, the term “hoax device” shall mean any device that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such device is an infernal machine. For the purposes of this section, the term “infernal machine” shall mean any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically. For the purposes of this section, the words “hoax substance” shall mean any substance that would cause a person reasonably to believe that such substance is a harmful chemical or biological agent, a poison, a harmful radioactive substance or any other substance for causing serious bodily injury, endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both.

We must fear the Infernal machines.

Sounds like the state will lose its case since she didn't intend to cause anxiety, fear or unrest.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    from the article:
    The employee asked about the plastic circuit board on her chest, and Simpson walked away without responding, Pare said.
    If that happens, you ask again. Maybe she didn't hear you, or saw her friend, or whatever.
    Oh, hey is that a bomb on your shirt or are you just happy to see me?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    from the article:

according to the article she was already talking to the guy.

/shrug

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They are going to have a really hard time proving intent. Or maybe I'm overestimating what a jury of my peers will find reasonable.

Doc on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can understand questioning her about the sweatshirt, but actually detaining her and charging her is completely rediculous considering there was absolutely no threat.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mass. Law wrote:

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    They are going to have a really hard time proving intent. Or maybe I'm overestimating what a jury of my peers will find reasonable.

To my knowledge the last bomb plot thing didn't end in any convictions.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The court process is different from the arrest, or at least that's what I've learned from Law & Order. The DA could still give her community service or let her go right? My point is that she shouldn't have just been ignored when walking through the airport. When you think you're facing a real threat you act as if it were real.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    My point is that she shouldn't have just been ignored when walking through the airport. When you think you're facing a real threat you act as if it were real.

Who said otherwise?

Doc on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Sorry, but I would vote to convict. That girl's hairdo is obviously meant to cause panic and distress. Therefore her obvious bomb-hoax t-shirt, by extension, must have been chosen specifically for that purpose as well: intent to cause distress.

Looking at that picture does, in fact, distress me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Sorry, but I would vote to convict. That girl's hairdo is obviously meant to cause panic and fear. Therefore her obvious bomb-hoax t-shirt, by extension, must have been chosen specifically for that purpose.

I just had a really funny mental image of a flaming gay dude in jury deliberations.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Sorry, but I would vote to convict. That girl's hairdo is obviously meant to cause panic and fear. Therefore her obvious bomb-hoax t-shirt, by extension, must have been chosen specifically for that purpose.

I just had a really funny mental image of a flaming gay dude in jury deliberations.

that is some crazy hair.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    My point is that she shouldn't have just been ignored when walking through the airport. When you think you're facing a real threat you act as if it were real.

Who said otherwise?

I was kind of getting the feeling that people thought she should have gone along her way uncontensted because it wasn't sticks of TNT tied to a big ass detonator.

Malkor on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Who said otherwise?

I was kind of getting the feeling that people thought she should have gone along her way uncontensted because it wasn't sticks of TNT tied to a big ass detonator.

I think there are two contested things in this thread:

1. The LEVEL of response: No one thinks she shouldn't have been stopped, but is a SWAT team appropriate? It seems to me that this would exacerbate a bomb threat, not alleviate one.

2. The charges and punishment.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Who said otherwise?

I am kind of confused as to how they let a suspected bomb into the actual airport.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Who said otherwise?

I am kind of confused as to how they let a suspected bomb into the actual airport.

they don't have guards at the actual entrances (well some of them they do). Most of the real checking (bag scan, shoes, etc.) takes place before heading to the actual gate.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Police Response: Legit

Charges: Slap on the wrist, but it all depends on what she's saying to investigators. Intent, etc.

Punishment: Haircut please.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    She's a fucking moron and deserves whatever charges and ridicule she gets. What if someone was walking around with a shirt that said "I have a bomb!"? Should they be ignored? Fuck no. This is pretty much the same shit, except she has a more convincing set up. Hell, is she fat? Maybe they thought she ha d a bunch of bombs under her shirt.

Some of you dont understand what it feels like at an airport these days. People suspend rationality. Hell, I got nervous when I saw an Arab kid waiting on the same flight as me, by himself, with a backpack, constantly taking out a piece of paper and reading it every five fucking minutes.

God I hate flying

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »

Charges: Slap on the wrist, but it all depends on what she's saying to investigators. Intent, etc.

Actually I think you just hit on the rhyme and reason in all of this.

People get haircuts when they go to jail. That is, the prison cuts their hair. All of this is an elaborate scheme to throw her in jail for the express purpose of forcing her to get a haircut.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

People get haircuts when they go to jail. That is, the prison cuts their hair. All of this is an elaborate scheme to throw her in jail for the express purpose of forcing her to get a haircut.

/shave

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

/shave

My comical post and your comical post together constitute "two bits."

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

/shave

My comical post and your comical post together constitute "two bits."

Quite. The vitriol of the lesser mortals is dying down. Send in the clowns IMO.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This was clearly a hair raising experience for her.

edit: I'm so sorry.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »
    She's a fucking moron and deserves whatever charges and ridicule she gets. What if someone was walking around with a shirt that said "I have a bomb!"? Should they be ignored? Fuck no. This is pretty much the same shit, except she has a more convincing set up. Hell, is she fat? Maybe they thought she ha d a bunch of bombs under her shirt.

Some of you dont understand what it feels like at an airport these days. People suspend rationality. Hell, I got nervous when I saw an Arab kid waiting on the same flight as me, by himself, with a backpack, constantly taking out a piece of paper and reading it every five fucking minutes.

God I hate flying
    Well I hate flying with people like you.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Man what.

Seriously, what?

Maybe it's the fact I grew up in the IRA era, but I've never obsessed over potential terrorist attacks that much. Tell me, do you have lengthy histrionics every time you get in a car or cross the road?

japan on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

God I hate flying
    Well I hate flying with people like you.

only flying?

not living in the 'same country[or planet] as'?

You're quite generous.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This was clearly a hair raising experience for her.

edit: I'm so sorry.

You should be. I don't know how you have the cheek to face the world now.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

What. The. Christ.

ronzo on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

God I hate flying

I hate you. You are what is wrong with air travel, America, and the world.

Also, it's not "pretty much the same shit." It's entirely different shit. Because you have no evidence she intended for the breadboard to look like a bomb.

By the way, the bolded part? I'm pretty sure that justifies my first statement.

Here's hoping she doesn't plead out to the lesser charge to avoid the risk.
    Shinto wrote: »
    They teach you what suicide bombs look like?

Actually, yes. We did receive some training on spotting them, since I did some time working at the gate to a FOB. And no, they don't look like some EE student's breadboard stuck to their shirt, complete with blinking LED's.

Also got training on spotting car bombs, IED's, how to recognize improvised trigger devices, what kind of components are commonly used in IEDs/suicide-bombs/trigger-devices, etc.
    A Massachusetts Port Authority staffer manning an information booth in the terminal became suspicious when Simpson -- wearing the device -- approached to ask about an incoming flight, Pare said. She did not respond when the employee asked her about the device she was wearing, so the employee repeated the question, police said.

Simpson then said the device was artwork and left the counter and walked around the terminal area, causing some employees to leave the building in fear, police said.

So before the boys with SMGs showed up, she had already been confronted regarding the breadboard. She explained that it wasn't a bomb. One would think that if it was a bomb (and thus worthy of submachinegun-related response) that she'd have gone ahead and rushed to detonate it at that point.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

God I hate flying

...what the hellshitting fucknuggets?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The obvious problem with the whole thing is that none of the procedures they followed would have prevented me from, say, carrying a nuclear weapon into the terminal in a backpack.

That seems ridiculous to me.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    The obvious problem with the whole thing is that none of the procedures they followed would have prevented me from, say, carrying a nuclear weapon into the terminal in a backpack.

Well, there's a non-negligible chance that you would have been caught when you put your bag through the x-ray viewer. Though they probably won't be able to find Ice-nine.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

Well, as long as you attached the detonator to your shirt they'd take your ass down in no time. Especially if it had blinking lights.
    ...what the hellshitting fucknuggets?

Seems to be the consensus. Like I said, we've been at Yellow Alert for way too long. Somebody needs to show that kid some statistics on just how likely he is to die at the hands of a terrorist, especially if we limit it to those that have died on planes. Maybe he'd grow a spine.

Maybe not.

I'm more scared to cross the street on a Friday night in this college town than to fly with an Ay-rab on board. I think like 55% of drivers on the road here are drunk after about 7pm.

EDIT: My favorite part: "he had a backpack...and he was alone! He kept taking out this paper...and looking at it!" For fuck's sake. I fly alone all the time, and nearly always with a backpack. I'm sure I've pulled out a piece of paper multiple times to look at it, too...either my itinerary, maps for where I'm going, whatever. Peddle your racist fearmongering elsewhere.
    Well, there's a non-negligible chance that you would have been caught when you put your bag through the x-ray viewer.

Well, if it's a nuclear weapon I don't see why it matters what side of the mall secu...I mean TSA checkpoint you detonate it on. Hell, I think it'd be amusing to wait until the line is really long for security, like after somebody just tried to smuggle some water in or something, and just detonate it there.

Really, this works for conventional explosives, too. You could kill some pretty big crowds without ever going through security...between ticket counters, baggage claim, and the security checkpoint itself. Pick a choke point, and go wild.

I wonder if Gorgeeen is feeling any safer yet.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So what happens when someone with a 'weird' and 'strange', but necessary electronic comes through the airport? For example, if someone with a cochlear implant was walking through the airport? Would the cops have the right to overreact to that just because they don't know what it was?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seems to be the consensus. Like I said, we've been at Yellow Alert for way too long.
    The color coded alerts still exist? I haven't heard anything about that for a long time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Seems to be the consensus. Like I said, we've been at Yellow Alert for way too long.
    The color coded alerts still exist? I haven't heard anything about that for a long time.
    Seeing as how it's physically impossible for it to go back to green (or are we permanently on orange, yet?) it's rather pointless.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So what happens when someone with a 'weird' and 'strange', but necessary electronic comes through the airport? For example, if someone with a cochlear implant was walking through the airport? Would the cops have the right to overreact to that just because they don't know what it was?
    Then they should totally not err on the side of caution, let the person go through and hope no one looks at who was on duty in case it turns out to be a neutron bomb.

Malkor on