Options

DS Games for an old non-gamer

an_altan_alt Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My father just had heart surgery so he can't move around a whole lot and I can tell he's getting tired of reading all the time, so I picked him up a DS yesterday. My dad is old (70) and doesn't play games, so I'd like some advice on what might keep a retired economic prof's attention and be easy enough that someone who wasn't used to gaming or general computer conventions could still play it without being too frustrated.

I picked up Brain Age 2 and Phoenix Wright with the DS and looked for Advance Wars because the reviews said that it did a great job of introducing everything quite slowly. I'm thinking puzzle and strategy might be good genres, but I'd love to hear some recommendations from people who have actually played some of the games or have used them to hook non-gamers.

Thanks in advance.

Pony wrote:
I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
an_alt on

• Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clubhouse Games is a nice collection of games that almost everyone knows.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's ds versions of sudoku, crossword puzzles, and picross. Those are probably good general choices. Clubhouse games isn't a bad idea either.

There's also more adventure games that are pretty casual friendly along with Phoenix Wright, like Hotel Dusk, Touch Detective, Trace Memory.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I keep trying to dig through this list and keep getting sidetracked. I hope you have better luck, its every ds game to date. http://www.nintendo.com/gamelist?start=1&oord=asc&osort=title&sort=&cmd=&toggle=true&query=&tf=&cf=&sf=Nintendo+DS+Lite&ef=&rf=&pf=&mf=&af=&vf=&nf=#

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Puzzle Quest.

I told my wife to give it a try. I haven't been able to touch my DS since. Well, no... that's not entirely true. I can touch it, but only if I play Puzzle Quest and she gets to watch over my shoulder to critique my lousy moves.

Like crack cocaine for non-gamers, that game.

Pickles on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    42 all time classics, my gaming friends are all hooked on it, it's got everything you'd ever want, ludo, chess, checkers, darts, pool, bowling, etc etc... really good fun

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fibretip wrote: »
    42 all time classics, my gaming friends are all hooked on it, it's got everything you'd ever want, ludo, chess, checkers, darts, pool, bowling, etc etc... really good fun

Just to avoid any confusion, 42 All Time Classics is the European version of Clubhouse Games.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Make sure he checks out the Sudoku games on Brain Age 2.

I had never really gotten into Sudoku before I bought the first Brain Age, but thanks to that game, I play pretty much daily. It's really a great little logic game.

Also, so far as I've seen, read, and experienced, no other game for DS has done Sudoku as well as BA 1 & 2.

naporeon on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the tips. I'll hit an EBStop tonight.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.