Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Gift for a Parting Co-Worker

life3life3 Registered User
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Good afternoon HA,

I've been working at this place for about a year now, sharing an office with one older woman. She's leaving next week and I feel like a gift is in order. A kind of "thank you" for your company almost 8 hours of every weekday for the past year.

1st of all, is this a common gift occasion? This being my first job out of college, I'm unfortunately unaware of the protocol. Other people have left recently, but no one I would call a frequent acquaintance, so there was no thought of anything more than a "good luck!" email/card. This particular lady has been helpful and encouraging to me for just over a year now and I'd like to say "thank you."

2nd of all, if it is a gift giving occasion, what do I give? She is an older woman and a mother of 1. She's also of Indian descent so I think there are some dietary rules(if I'm to consider a gift basket/certificate).

life3 on
HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW

• PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Very common.

If you don't know enough about her to confidently pick out a gift, a card with some kind words would still be a nice gesture.

all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Condoms, no one wants the herp. If you didn't really know her well enough to know marginal interest, maybe it's best you don't get her a gift? Perhaps just a card?

• EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gifts are cool for coworkers you like. But, uh, "indian" doesn't give her any dietary restrictions. If she's Hindu, then yeah she has dietary restrictions. Kinda weird if you've known her for a year but never noticed what she eats, though.

But yeah, echoing Jon here -- if you don't know off the top of your head what you would get her, get a card. Gifts for coworkers should be natural, not forced. For instance, friend of mine clips his fingernails obsessively. Like, twice a day. He's nuts. So when he quit his old job his boss gave him a new set of fingernail clippers.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Eggy I'd hate to hear what your boss gave the guy who spent way too long in the bathroom everyday.

You could even ask her what she'd like as a parting gift? Not everything has to be a surprise.

edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eggy I'd hate to hear what your boss gave the guy who spent way too long in the bathroom everyday.

You could even ask her what she'd like as a parting gift? Not everything has to be a surprise.

Luckily it wasn't my boss, but his old boss. Who he admits he was pretty close with (they went to concerts together, since they liked the same type of music). But yeah, toilet paper for the guy with Crohns disease? Gold :D

• life3life3 Registered User
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I meant to imply Hindu; sorry if that wasn't clear.

What kind of interests does a working mother really have time for? There's this great nut shop down the street(It's called 'Nuts to You!'). She's always raving about and eating all sorts of fresh nuts from there.

I think I will stop in and see if they have any nice looking 'nutty' gifts and attach a card.

HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tend to give not-so-close-friends books. We had a lady here who recently left and had a pet parrot she'd bring in some times. So I got her the book version of "The Life of Birds." Or rather, my department got it for her.

3DS: 5112-3515-8441 | PSN: Nezandy | XBL: Arikado PA | BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | Twitter
    edited September 2007
    life3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I meant to imply Hindu; sorry if that wasn't clear.

What kind of interests does a working mother really have time for? There's this great nut shop down the street(It's called 'Nuts to You!'). She's always raving about and eating all sorts of fresh nuts from there.

I think I will stop in and see if they have any nice looking 'nutty' gifts and attach a card.

That's perfect -- something you know she likes, that she probably won't be around much in a new job (assuming your town is more than a single strip of businesses).