Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

College checklist [updated, of sorts]

JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
edited July 2005 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Add or remove as warranted. We are in a suite housing, so we don't need to worry about kitchen/fridge.

Must-haves
Clothes
POWER STRIPS/Extension Cords/Surge Protector
Clean Sheets
Desktop Computer
Headphones
Lamp
Toiletries (towel, toothbrush?)
flip flops
Alarm clock with battery backup
Small tool kit

Optional/Situational
Small Room Fan/AC
Mattress Pad
Clothes Hangers
First Aid Kit
Travel Mug
Lockbox
Water Filter
Rug?

Target Run (after moving in)
Laundry Detergent
Posters + Tacks/tape? sharp objects are scary.
Dishes (things to clean dishes?)
Tissues/Cleaning Supplies
Laundry Basket (Drying Rack?)
Soft Toilet Paper (Charmin!)
Cold Medication

Books:
Dune series
Sandman series
Out of Control, by kevin kelly
Chronicles of Narnia

That's rather a large assortment of books. Hmm.

Jinnigan on
whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg

• KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Dryer sheets
    Fan

TV/DVD player?

DVDs

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    What are the books for? Does your school not have a library? How far away from home will you be?

• SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Are they providing furniture?

Desk, bed, couches, sort of thing?

Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • AndrewAndrew Registered User
    edited July 2005
    Alarm clock

I'm going to UC Irvine next year. They have a "what to bring and what not to bring" webpage. You nailed everything on the list. UCI reccomends I bring all my toiletries and a lamp.

ilovedeaths.jpg
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I don't know about your dorm, but when I lived in the dorms we had beds that were damn uncomfortable. I bought one of those mattress pad things you put on over the mattress and under your bottom sheet, and it worked great. I would recommend the same to you, if you find sleeping in the dorm beds less than comfortable.

edited July 2005
    strykar116 wrote:
    I don't know about your dorm, but shen I lived in the dorms we had beds that were damn uncomfortable. I bought one of those mattress pad things you put on over the mattress and under your bottom sheet, and it worked great. I would recommend the same to you, if you find sleeping in the dorm beds less than comfortable.

• TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Harry Potter is a must ^^

Bring food, granola bars and the like. Bring posters and stuff to decorate your place with . . you're going to be there awhile. Take along some CDs, and maybe a CD player if your speakers/soundcard are sucky. Alarm clock, pillows, shoes, socks, lots of clean underwear (laundry days are few and far between)

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited July 2005
    stryker116 wrote:
    I don't know about your dorm, but when I lived in the dorms we had beds that were damn uncomfortable. I bought one of those mattress pad things you put on over the mattress and under your bottom sheet, and it worked great. I would recommend the same to you, if you find sleeping in the dorm beds less than comfortable.
    Egg crate?

edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    stryker116 wrote:
    Egg crate?

THe one I have has sort of a grid pattern cut into it, and there are more specialized ones too. I've heard that the egg crate ones aren't quite as good.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    stryker116 wrote:
    Egg crate?

mattress protector.

edit: oh, you mean the pattern? I thought you were suggesting he sleep on egg crates.

• GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    stryker116 wrote:
    Egg crate?

It wasn't that type of padding, it was just this thick, uniform padding that went on the mattress almost like a big sheet. It made it feel like you were sleeping on a soft mattress, not a bed-shaped rock.

• JaguarStrykerJaguarStryker Registered User
    edited July 2005
    DISHES TO EAT YOUR FOOD ON. This includes Spoon,Fork,Knife - Plates Bowls (microwave safe). Popcorn Bowl. Glasses for drinks (mixing drink aparatus?). A pitcher for Water/Koolaid/whatever (water filter?)
    Dresser/Drawer/storage space
    Paper towels!
    Kleenex
    CLEANING SUPPLIES - ESPECIALLY IF YOU SHARE A BATHROOM
    Comfy chairs?
    Lamp
    Alarm Clock
    Headphones
    Fan
    Frisbee/outdoor activity things
    Laundry Basket
    Hangers
    Hamper
    Trash Can
    Condoms? :winky:
    Small first aid kit

That's all I can see from right here.

Oh! POSTERS!

And bring books you *haven't* read for gods' sake. If your friends/roommates haven't read some of your favorites, you can bring 'em up next time you visit home.

Added: If you can bring Duct Tape, a workman's knife, and some screwdrivers you will be the most beloved kid in your dorm.

There are some runningbacks who don't like to get hit - I think Fred Taylor really enjoys hitting people.
    Man I love the NFL.
    edited July 2005
    Like, seriously, a lot of what people are going to recommend is going to depend on how close you are to your school. If you're driving an hour to get their, then hauling a collection of books is no big deal. If you're flying across the country, you're going to regret every single thing you bring that you end up not actually needing.

• ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2005
    Toilet paper. Yes, I know it's provided. Just fucking trust me on this, fucking 2-ply toilet paper. Small stereo/small TV if you feel you need them. I did, for my video games/Adult Swim and because my laptop speakers were shit. Do you need to bring a car? Or are you even allowed to? If you have any friends from home going to school there, car-pooling is a good way to keep involved with the circle so that you have things to do when you're back in town for weekends or during breaks. That last bit is experimental advice, however, and should be tested carefully. It's something I wish I had done, because it would have been interesting to see how my classmates changed throughout college. I hear several of them actually qualify as people now.

DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
  • QuelrethQuelreth Registered User
    edited July 2005
    Andrew wrote:
    I'm going to UC Irvine next year.

Flee while you still can, FLEE! AIEEE!

I'm looking around on my desk, and quite possibly the most important thing I have on here is a travel mug. You can buy glasses if you want, but they're prone to breaking (we've lost more than a few, anyways). It's just a moderately large metal mug. I primarily just use it for water (Too cheap for bottled water), but I find having my own mug to be highly useful. You WILL need to wash it occasionally though...

I recommend one with one of those lids you can open and close to drink from. You'll understand later. ;)

• JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I am six hours away, Boston to Philly drive.

https://www.drexel.edu/housing/Halls/VanR/FloorPlans.asp

I'm curious as to if I can't just arrive at the college, and then buy this stuff (for example, extra toilet paper) at a local shop or something.

What the hell is a Wawa?

As far as bed things and the like go, I'm going to hit up Orientation first (8/2) and figure it out from there.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ooh, goin to drexel, huh? I went to villanonova, just graduated, and all I can say is take advantage of the philly area. See the museum, run up the rocky steps, go to south street, etc etc. If you don't get a cheesesteak from pat's or genos your first week there, you're not in college. Also, Wawa is like 7-11, only with a delicious deli that is key on those 2 am hunger pangs...

And for packin, don't be afraid to pack beyond the basics. Seriously, I hope you or your roomie has a tv or vcr. The "lets watch a movie at my room" thing can be great, for new friends or potential love interests. Definitely bring an egg shell matress, and a comfy comforter. Just don't go overboard, and you'll be fine. Remember, if it don't smell, its ok to wear again...

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited July 2005
    Seriously, I hope you or your roomie has a tv or vcr. The "lets watch a movie at my room" thing can be great, for new friends or potential love interests.

I don't know, I say this is what DVD-ROMs and flatscreens are for. I just threw a movie on the computer and moved the flatscreen to face the bed on more than one occasion.

• JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Ooh, goin to drexel, huh? I went to villanonova, just graduated, and all I can say is take advantage of the philly area. See the museum, run up the rocky steps, go to south street, etc etc. If you don't get a cheesesteak from pat's or genos your first week there, you're not in college. Also, Wawa is like 7-11, only with a delicious deli that is key on those 2 am hunger pangs...

And for packin, don't be afraid to pack beyond the basics. Seriously, I hope you or your roomie has a tv or vcr. The "lets watch a movie at my room" thing can be great, for new friends or potential love interests. Definitely bring an egg shell matress, and a comfy comforter. Just don't go overboard, and you'll be fine. Remember, if it don't smell, its ok to wear again...
    One thing I really want to do is check out the music scene, as I'm very into music but living in white suburbia with no car of my own doesn't really let me do that. So it'll be new. Mainly I'm looking at hiphop and maybe rock (I'm mostly thinking of The Roots here), so like... yeah, I dunno.

That wasn't very relevant.

We have 4 people. I can only get in touch with 2. Will have one TV between us work, or is that going to be a case-by-case thing?

Unfortunately for me, it seems that I'm going to be rooming with party animals (judging by their facebook profiles, not by talking to them). I don't know if I should bring something extra, or what. Just something I'm worried about.

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User
    edited July 2005
    Cold medication. Everyone always forgets, and when it hits them , it hits the entire dorms bad. People don't understand that ifthey have a cold, they should try to isolate themselves, not spread it around so that everyone else can have a cold.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Jinnigan wrote:

One thing I really want to do is check out the music scene, as I'm very into music but living in white suburbia with no car of my own doesn't really let me do that. So it'll be new. Mainly I'm looking at hiphop and maybe rock (I'm mostly thinking of The Roots here), so like... yeah, I dunno.

That wasn't very relevant.

We have 4 people. I can only get in touch with 2. Will have one TV between us work, or is that going to be a case-by-case thing?

Unfortunately for me, it seems that I'm going to be rooming with party animals (judging by their facebook profiles, not by talking to them). I don't know if I should bring something extra, or what. Just something I'm worried about.

Well, you're dang lucky, because philly has a great music scene, especially with the electric factory and all those places down south street. Though I know slightly more about the punk scene more (through friends more than anythin else) i think the roots played here recently, not sure. Clubs are nice, though if you can, get a fake (a nice one, they can be dicks at times. Got mine taken away at a gay club called woody's... long story), because some of the nicer places for hiphop are over 21.

Well, if tv isn't your thing, don't stress about it. If they're party animals, bring headphones, or maybe even a lock box to store more valuable stuff in. Facebook, ahh, a ginormous waste of time for me last year. It took stalkin to a whole nother level. Though a lotta people tend to exaggerate in them, just to seem cooler. Me, I started the "Ahhh, I'm so awkward" group for my school... And what the man said about cold medication? Very true. Always have nyquil, because not only does it help with colds, but its a great sleep aid if your roomies are too loud...

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited July 2005
    Jinnigan wrote:
    I am six hours away, Boston to Philly drive.

https://www.drexel.edu/housing/Halls/VanR/FloorPlans.asp

I'm curious as to if I can't just arrive at the college, and then buy this stuff (for example, extra toilet paper) at a local shop or something.

What the hell is a Wawa?

As far as bed things and the like go, I'm going to hit up Orientation first (8/2) and figure it out from there.
    Okay, so you're not going to be flying, which is a big plus.

Everyone's going to be throwing out suggestions for crap you need. I would seriously suggest leaving the books at home. Your school has a library for a reason. Also, you're going to be a much happier camper if you can pack up your whole room into one car trip when summer comes around. You will acquire an amazing amount of crap while you're there, and the less you have to pack up, the better. So, try to prioritize, and try to keep extraneous stuff, like books, to a minimum.

• Sum RobotSum Robot Registered User
    edited July 2005
    Many of my friends at college swear by a Brita filter or other similar thing. I got by without one just fine, but they claim its a necessity.

A Nalgene or other high-quality beverage holder is a very nice thing to bring. One that can take a serious beating, because it will get one.

This is something I forgot when I went: grounded extension cords/extra surge protectors. I only had 3 outlets, and two of them were a ways from my desk.

• AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User
    edited July 2005
    Sum Robot wrote:
    Many of my friends at college swear by a Brita filter or other similar thing. I got by without one just fine, but they claim its a necessity.
    That's a more "it depends" deal. Some dorms are quite old, and the water supply system is iffy, so people who have been drinking good filtered tap water will not be used to it.

But something as simple as a water filter can be purchased locally, so it's not a biggie.

edited July 2005
    Sum Robot wrote:
    This is something I forgot when I went: grounded extension cords/extra surge protectors. I only had 3 outlets, and two of them were a ways from my desk.

Along these lines, power strips are your friend.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Quelreth wrote:
    Sum Robot wrote:

Yes, definately bring power strips. The way outlets were setup in my room, I needed 4 power strips + 1 surge protector to power all of my appliances and have them located where I wanted them.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2005
    Invisible wrote:
    Quelreth wrote:
    Sum Robot wrote:
    Yes, definately bring power strips. The way outlets were setup in my room, I needed 4 power strips + 1 surge protector to power all of my appliances and have them located where I wanted them.
    This is all crap you can get in Target in Philly.

The less crap you have to pack up and take with you, the better.

edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    Quelreth wrote:
    Sum Robot wrote:
    This is all crap you can get in Target in Philly.

The less crap you have to pack up and take with you, the better.

Considering I wouldn't be able to set up all the stuff I did bring without power strips, I'd definitely want them with me. You don't have to buy everything beforehand, no, but some stuff is just worth bringing.

edited July 2005
    Good earplugs are a must; i like those rounded turqoise ones, they work really well and are cheap.

Also, if you have an alarm clock, check to make sure it's got a battery backup; sleeping through a class/final b/c of 2 seconds of power outage or even kicking the plug the wrong way is never fun.

Some of that tacky wall stuff for posters.

Don't know if this will apply to your school but I found it easier to "borrow" dinnerware from the dining halls than bring my own. Used it for the year then brought it back.

Oh, along the lines of dishes, some liquid soap and one of those sponge-with-a-handle-that-can-be-filled-with-soap are really useful for washing dishes quickly.

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Make sure you and your roommates have headphones for their computers.

I always hated going to my friend's dorm room and just trying to watch TV with him and having his roommate turn on some crappy new-metal stuff and refuse to turn it off or at least turn it down. He didn't have headphones, needless to say.

DrMario1.jpg
    XBOX LIVE - VAULT BOY 42
    edited July 2005
    Quelreth wrote:
    Considering I wouldn't be able to set up all the stuff I did bring without power strips, I'd definitely want them with me. You don't have to buy everything beforehand, no, but some stuff is just worth bringing.
    The very first thing you should do after getting all your stuff into your room is to make a Target run.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    Quelreth wrote:
    The very first thing you should do after getting all your stuff into your room is to make a Target run.

Maybe if your school is close to home, but after driving for 3 hours it's the last thing I want to do. And considering the OP will have to drive for 6 hours, I think it's unlikely he'll want to make a target run before he sets up his stuff.

Stuff like detergent, I would definately wait on and pick up at a later time though. All you need is for it to bust open in your car and ruin all your stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    easy mac

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • OriginZeroXOriginZeroX Registered User
    edited July 2005
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2005
    Also, Microsoft Antispyware, and some form of AntiVirus. Welcome to dorm networks and roommates who don't know how to use computers without breaking them.

DAMM
    Drunks Against Mad Mothers
    edited July 2005
    iTunes and OurTunes.

• Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    The things that I remember actually buying my first year because I forgot them that immediately come to mind were:

Laundry bastet & drying rack. The drying rack is one of those wooden accordian type things to hang clothes on. They are really helpful to save you a few bucks on laundry.

Whiteboard. We had one on the door of our room to leave messages for each other, pretty good to have.

Travel mug. I know it was mentioned before, but this is a must.

For dishes, I would suggest getting some disposable plastic stuff, why bring breakable plates and stuff if you're just going to fight over who cleans them?

Definately bring a lamp, power strips and at least one "normal" extension cord for things like the lamp that you don't want to waste a power strip.

The last thing I can think of right now is to pick up a small tool kit. It is really helpful to have the basics available, especially screwdrivers, because you can't steal them from your parents when they're 6 hrs away!

Oh - and I 2nd the fan as well...

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2005
    I will be using this thread when it comes time for me to go back to school :)

Just as a warning, some schools consider normal extension cords (non-power strips/surge protectors) a fire hazard; they're banned from our dorms, so you might want to check on that.

Don't know if it's been said yet, but a Brita water pitcher is very nice to have.

Also, a rug can really tie the room together.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Well, you're dang lucky, because philly has a great music scene
    But not nearly as good as Boston's :P
    Lamp?
    Yeah, a desk lamp for sure. It is always good to have a backup in case your room light burns out at midnight on a Friday and the maintainence guy can't fix it till monday.

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Lamp?
    Yeah, a desk lamp for sure. It is always good to have a backup in case your room light burns out at midnight on a Friday and the maintainence guy can't fix it till monday.
    Pick a nice looking one and you'll add to the room's decor also.

It's an easy game to hate
This discussion has been closed.