As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread of awesome cartoons

DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I skimmed a few pages back in most of the relevant forums and it appears we haven't had one of these in a while. So let's discuss cartoons which are awesome, or possess qualities which may be construed as awesome.

Animes are fine too, but they have a thread of their own so I think it'd be cool to see some love for other kinds of animation. Here are a couple of mine in no particular order.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
jayce.jpg
Intro
wiki sez:
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is an French/American/Japanese animated TV show which first aired on September 16, 1985. It was produced by Saban Entertainment for DiC Entertainment (originally distributed for syndication by SFM Entertainment), and directed by an uncredited Japanese studio. The uncompleted show, which spawned 65 30-minute episodes, was created to support Mattel's toy line (which was called simply, "Wheeled Warriors").

The show featured two duelling forces. The "good guys" are humans, called the Lightning League. They drove white and silver vehicles with assorted weaponry, and are led by Jayce. The "bad guys" are organic green vegetable-based creatures called the Monster Minds, who tend to take the shape of black and green vehicles. They travel via large green organic vines which can grow in and across interstellar space, that sprout seeds that rapidly grew into further Monster Minds. They are led by Saw Boss.

Plot synopsis
The plot concerns Jayce, son of Audric, and his quest to rejoin him. The backstory is that Audric was a botanist who did several experiments with biotechnology, one of which blossomed and became a young humanoid girl named Flora. Audric had also created a miracle crop that could thrive in any environment and end galactic hunger. However, suddenly a solar flare mutates his plant into an evil, sentient being named Saw Boss, and changes other plants around Audric's laboratory into similar creatures, who collectively become known as the Monster Minds. Audric manages to create a magical root that can destroy the Monster Minds, but is forced to flee before he can complete the task. He keeps half himself and gives the other half to his servant, Oon, whom he sends to serve Jayce. Thus, Jayce and his Lightning League friends are constantly on a quest to find Audric and combine the halves of the root.

As a kid I used to watch this all the time, it fucking rocked. It's got everything a young boy could ever want in a show. Giant robots, cool transforming vehicles, evil plant dudes with saw blades attached to their heads, wizards, and some stupid flying fish thing. It was kind of depressing though because even at that age I could tell they were never going to find Jayce's father, and every time they came close it would turn out to be just a cock tease.

Cybersix
cybersix.gif
Intro
wiki sez:
Cybersix is a series of Argentine comic books created by writers Carlos Meglia and Carlos Trillo. The series first appeared in Spanish in November, 1993.

The heroine of the series is the eponymous character, Cybersix, a leather-clad android who by day operates behind the guise of a male high school literature teacher, and by night battles the monstrous biological weapons of her creator. She is aided in her adventures by her childhood friend Cyber-29, who is reborn in the body of a black panther known as Data 7. The extended cast includes Cybersix's colleague and love interest Lucas Amato, as well as other supporting characters.

In 1995, the comics were adapted into a poorly-received live-action television series, and again in 1999 into a much more successful thirteen-episode animated series by TMS, with positive critical reception from sources like the Pulcinella Awards,[1] which first aired in Canada on Teletoon and was later dubbed in several other countries.

Plot synopsis
Dr. Von Reichter, a member of the SS and the Nazi party, is an expert in genetic engineering. He initially began his work in concentration camps during World War II, implanting cybernetic organs in the bodies of dead prisoners in an attempt to bring them back to life to serve in the Führer's army. However, the Allied forces intervened to defeat the Nazis, so he fled to South America where he once again continued his sinister experiments.

From one of his experiments emerged the Cyber Series — artificial humanoids possessing superhuman strength and agility. But something was amiss: the 5000 original Cybers, engineered to be the perfect servants, mimicked human emotions too closely, displaying free will of their own. When they began disobeying their creator, Von Reichter ordered all of the Cyber Series to be destroyed. By this time, Cyber-29 had already died in a playtime accident when he fell from a cliff, but Von Reichter managed to transfer the dead child's brain into the body of a panther to be reborn as Data 7. Cybersix was the only true Cyber to survive the massacre, escaping with the help of a black slave who hid her away in a fishing village. When the slave was later interrogated and killed by Von Reichter, Cybersix escaped once again and made her way to the fictitious city of Meridiana, where she adopted the identity of a boy killed in a car wreck, Adrian Seidelman, and now battles her evil creator and his minions.

Like all of Von Reichter's creations, Cybersix depends on a mysterious life-giving fluid called "sustenance". When her supply ran out, she was forced to prowl the city in search of other creatures of Von Reichter's making, such as Frankenstein-like Fixed Ideas or the more human-like Technos, to kill them and take their sustenance to survive. Almost by accident, she became a superhero by defending the people of her city from Von Reichter's malevolent plans, often carried out by his cloned "son" José. Along the way, she meets the resurrected Data 7, as well as a young boy named Julian, and falls in love with biology teacher/reporter Lucas Amato.

When this show first came on TV I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I was drawn in by the weird art style and great animation. It's got some pretty mature themes and amazing fight scenes. An android fighting giant killer robots and mutants with a panther sidekick. Hell yes. Did this ever get shown in the US?

And last up, on of my all-time favorites.

Mission Hill
cast.jpg
Happy little tree!
Penis penis penis!
Everybody Ska
wiki sez:
Mission Hill (formerly known as The Downtowners, although MTV's production of the similarly titled Downtown forced a name change) was an American animated television series that first aired on The WB in 1999. Although 13 episodes were produced, the show was cancelled after only six were aired. The show was put on hiatus by the WB Network after just two episodes due to poor ratings. It returned to the WB in the summer of 2000 but was cancelled after just four additional episodes. Nonetheless, the show went on to develop a cult following, thanks to repeated airings of all 13 episodes on Teletoon's "Teletoon Unleashed" block, TBS's "Too Funny to Sleep" block, and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

It has also been popular outside of the United States and Canada, receiving broadcasts in Australia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Spain and, New Zealand. In Italy, it received the 2000 Pulcinella Award for "Best Series for All Audiences"; the award cited the show's "stylized design and honest approach to sexual and moral issues."

Stylistically, the series is recognizable for its bright, neon color palette, and features a peculiar mixture of modern animation and traditional "cartoonish" drawings (dashed lines coming from eyes, red bolts of lightning around a spot in pain).

The show was created by Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, former executive producers of The Simpsons, and the artistic designer was Lauren MacMullan, who later joined The Simpsons as a director. It featured the voices of Wallace Langham, Scott Menville, Brian Posehn, Vicki Lewis, Nick Jameson, Tom Kenny, Herbert Siguenza, Jane Wiedlin, Tress MacNeille, and Lisa Kushell. The theme song was a faster, instrumental version of "Italian Leather Sofa" by Cake.

The DVD release of the entire series (13 episodes) was released on November 29, 2005.

One of the few series I can watch over and over and still enjoy. The writing is excellent, as is the comic timing and voice acting. It is, in my opinion, as funny as simpsons was in it's prime. It's a shame it was cancelled so early, I guess it didn't have a whole lot of mass market appeal. If you're a fan some of the animatics of the unreleased episodes are up on youtube.

sig2-2.jpg
Dangerous on

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is an amazing cartoon. Season 3 premieres tonight!

Animes that I have watched and enjoyed:
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Death Note

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I agree with mission hill.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is an amazing cartoon. Season 3 premieres tonight!

Animes that I have watched and enjoyed:
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Death Note

Oh shit, I totally forgot! Thanks for reminding me.

Fake edit: wow, wiki informs me Mark Hamill does the voice of Zuko's father. The show just got even cooler :P

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Everybody here better watch Avatar tonight.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Futurama, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Ulysses 31, Dungeons and Dragons, early episodes of the Simpsons, Gargoyles, Family Guy, South Park, Venture Bros.

God, I love my brother for growing up in the 80's and forcing his taste for cartoons on me.

Tav on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When exactly is Avatar on? I thought it was at eight EST, but it's not. Did I miss it?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    When exactly is Avatar on? I thought it was at eight EST, but it's not. Did I miss it?

8:30 EST according to Yahoo TV.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    The lack of Freakazoid, the Tick and ReBoot concerns me.

Hell, anything Spielberg produced in the late 90s was solid gold.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Animaniacs is amazing.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

Animaniacs is amazing.

:^:

also

pinky_and_the_brain.jpg

NARF

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dangerous, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I kind of wish The Pirates of Dark Water had lasted longer even though I didn't really watch it much.

I was also partial to Swat Kats while in college for some reason.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    medium_samurai_champloo.jpg

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

I think so mtvcdm, but what if the Hippopotamus won't wear the beach thong?

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I was kind of sad that I finished rewatching it recently. It's a shame that anime tend to only be around for a season except if it's crap like Naruto or Inuyasha.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You're all watching Avatar right now, right?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

Well, I think so... but burlap chafes me so.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    I was kind of sad that I finished rewatching it recently. It's a shame that anime tend to only be around for a season except if it's crap like Naruto or Inuyasha.

I know.

There was this whole period when I would come home worn out from work at one in the morning, grab a cold root beer and fall asleep watching Champloo. Those were glorious days.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rocko's Modern Life
    rocko6ex.jpg
    Wiki Entry wrote:

Rocko's Modern Life is an American animated television series whose four seasons aired from 1993 to 1996. The show was based around the surreal, parodistic adventures of an anthropomorphic wallaby named Rocko, and his life in the city of O-Town. It is revealed in the episode "Skid Marks" that Rocko lives at 1172 Boogie Road. The series was created by Joe Murray. One of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons, it was the fourth series released in the Nicktoons group, and the first to be introduced since the original three were introduced in August 1991. The program was produced by Joe Murray Productions and Nickelodeon Studios, and occasionally by Games Productions.

The show is laden with suggestive double entendres, innuendo, and social commentary. It has become a prominent cult classic.

I liked this show when I was younger, but only really fully appreciated it when I rewatched the entire series on a whim a few months ago. Like a lot of great cartoons, there are various levels of humour to the show, and only a more mature audience can understand some of the funniest.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I skimmed a few pages back in most of the relevant forums and it appears we haven't had one of these in a while. So let's discuss cartoons which are awesome, or possess qualities which may be construed as awesome.

Animes are fine too, but they have a thread of their own so I think it'd be cool to see some love for other kinds of animation. Here are a couple of mine in no particular order.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    jayce.jpg
    Intro
    wiki sez:
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is an French/American/Japanese animated TV show which first aired on September 16, 1985. It was produced by Saban Entertainment for DiC Entertainment (originally distributed for syndication by SFM Entertainment), and directed by an uncredited Japanese studio. The uncompleted show, which spawned 65 30-minute episodes, was created to support Mattel's toy line (which was called simply, "Wheeled Warriors").

The show featured two duelling forces. The "good guys" are humans, called the Lightning League. They drove white and silver vehicles with assorted weaponry, and are led by Jayce. The "bad guys" are organic green vegetable-based creatures called the Monster Minds, who tend to take the shape of black and green vehicles. They travel via large green organic vines which can grow in and across interstellar space, that sprout seeds that rapidly grew into further Monster Minds. They are led by Saw Boss.

Plot synopsis
    The plot concerns Jayce, son of Audric, and his quest to rejoin him. The backstory is that Audric was a botanist who did several experiments with biotechnology, one of which blossomed and became a young humanoid girl named Flora. Audric had also created a miracle crop that could thrive in any environment and end galactic hunger. However, suddenly a solar flare mutates his plant into an evil, sentient being named Saw Boss, and changes other plants around Audric's laboratory into similar creatures, who collectively become known as the Monster Minds. Audric manages to create a magical root that can destroy the Monster Minds, but is forced to flee before he can complete the task. He keeps half himself and gives the other half to his servant, Oon, whom he sends to serve Jayce. Thus, Jayce and his Lightning League friends are constantly on a quest to find Audric and combine the halves of the root.

As a kid I used to watch this all the time, it fucking rocked. It's got everything a young boy could ever want in a show. Giant robots, cool transforming vehicles, evil plant dudes with saw blades attached to their heads, wizards, and some stupid flying fish thing. It was kind of depressing though because even at that age I could tell they were never going to find Jayce's father, and every time they came close it would turn out to be just a cock tease.

Cybersix
    cybersix.gif
    Intro
    wiki sez:
    Cybersix is a series of Argentine comic books created by writers Carlos Meglia and Carlos Trillo. The series first appeared in Spanish in November, 1993.

The heroine of the series is the eponymous character, Cybersix, a leather-clad android who by day operates behind the guise of a male high school literature teacher, and by night battles the monstrous biological weapons of her creator. She is aided in her adventures by her childhood friend Cyber-29, who is reborn in the body of a black panther known as Data 7. The extended cast includes Cybersix's colleague and love interest Lucas Amato, as well as other supporting characters.

In 1995, the comics were adapted into a poorly-received live-action television series, and again in 1999 into a much more successful thirteen-episode animated series by TMS, with positive critical reception from sources like the Pulcinella Awards,[1] which first aired in Canada on Teletoon and was later dubbed in several other countries.

Plot synopsis
    Dr. Von Reichter, a member of the SS and the Nazi party, is an expert in genetic engineering. He initially began his work in concentration camps during World War II, implanting cybernetic organs in the bodies of dead prisoners in an attempt to bring them back to life to serve in the Führer's army. However, the Allied forces intervened to defeat the Nazis, so he fled to South America where he once again continued his sinister experiments.

From one of his experiments emerged the Cyber Series — artificial humanoids possessing superhuman strength and agility. But something was amiss: the 5000 original Cybers, engineered to be the perfect servants, mimicked human emotions too closely, displaying free will of their own. When they began disobeying their creator, Von Reichter ordered all of the Cyber Series to be destroyed. By this time, Cyber-29 had already died in a playtime accident when he fell from a cliff, but Von Reichter managed to transfer the dead child's brain into the body of a panther to be reborn as Data 7. Cybersix was the only true Cyber to survive the massacre, escaping with the help of a black slave who hid her away in a fishing village. When the slave was later interrogated and killed by Von Reichter, Cybersix escaped once again and made her way to the fictitious city of Meridiana, where she adopted the identity of a boy killed in a car wreck, Adrian Seidelman, and now battles her evil creator and his minions.

Like all of Von Reichter's creations, Cybersix depends on a mysterious life-giving fluid called "sustenance". When her supply ran out, she was forced to prowl the city in search of other creatures of Von Reichter's making, such as Frankenstein-like Fixed Ideas or the more human-like Technos, to kill them and take their sustenance to survive. Almost by accident, she became a superhero by defending the people of her city from Von Reichter's malevolent plans, often carried out by his cloned "son" José. Along the way, she meets the resurrected Data 7, as well as a young boy named Julian, and falls in love with biology teacher/reporter Lucas Amato.

When this show first came on TV I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I was drawn in by the weird art style and great animation. It's got some pretty mature themes and amazing fight scenes. An android fighting giant killer robots and mutants with a panther sidekick. Hell yes. Did this ever get shown in the US?

And last up, on of my all-time favorites.

Mission Hill
    cast.jpg
    Happy little tree!
    Penis penis penis!
    Everybody Ska
    wiki sez:
    Mission Hill (formerly known as The Downtowners, although MTV's production of the similarly titled Downtown forced a name change) was an American animated television series that first aired on The WB in 1999. Although 13 episodes were produced, the show was cancelled after only six were aired. The show was put on hiatus by the WB Network after just two episodes due to poor ratings. It returned to the WB in the summer of 2000 but was cancelled after just four additional episodes. Nonetheless, the show went on to develop a cult following, thanks to repeated airings of all 13 episodes on Teletoon's "Teletoon Unleashed" block, TBS's "Too Funny to Sleep" block, and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

It has also been popular outside of the United States and Canada, receiving broadcasts in Australia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Spain and, New Zealand. In Italy, it received the 2000 Pulcinella Award for "Best Series for All Audiences"; the award cited the show's "stylized design and honest approach to sexual and moral issues."

Stylistically, the series is recognizable for its bright, neon color palette, and features a peculiar mixture of modern animation and traditional "cartoonish" drawings (dashed lines coming from eyes, red bolts of lightning around a spot in pain).

The show was created by Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, former executive producers of The Simpsons, and the artistic designer was Lauren MacMullan, who later joined The Simpsons as a director. It featured the voices of Wallace Langham, Scott Menville, Brian Posehn, Vicki Lewis, Nick Jameson, Tom Kenny, Herbert Siguenza, Jane Wiedlin, Tress MacNeille, and Lisa Kushell. The theme song was a faster, instrumental version of "Italian Leather Sofa" by Cake.

The DVD release of the entire series (13 episodes) was released on November 29, 2005.

One of the few series I can watch over and over and still enjoy. The writing is excellent, as is the comic timing and voice acting. It is, in my opinion, as funny as simpsons was in it's prime. It's a shame it was cancelled so early, I guess it didn't have a whole lot of mass market appeal. If you're a fan some of the animatics of the unreleased episodes are up on youtube.

Metalocalypse is the best show on television hands down.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I kind of wish The Pirates of Dark Water had lasted longer even though I didn't really watch it much.

I was also partial to Swat Kats while in college for some reason.

I was looking up old shows I used to like on youtube the other day and found some Pirates of Dark water. I was impressed by how well it's held up. The world really needs a new pirate cartoon :( Butchered episodes of One piece just don't cut it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Frisky Dingo is pretty awesome.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dark Water was definitely a keeper. But it ended before they could find all thirteen treasures. :(
    Also, Swat Kats was the total shit. If they put it out on DVD, I'd buy it without hesitation.

Do you remember the Silver Surfer series that Fox had in the mid 90s? It was pretty badass for it's time, but Marvel was approaching bankruptcy (sp?) and so they passed on a second season.

Don't forget Gargoyles, and Beast Wars, just to name a couple. I really need to get Gargoyles season 2, and BW season 1, at some point. But Season 1 is, like, $60 because it's got so many episodes. >_<

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, nostalgia attack. Pirates of Dark Water, Centurions, Biker Mice from Mars...They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God swatkats was the best fucking cartoon ever...

Also, everyone's forgetting the golden list.

X-Men
    Spider Man (90's)
    Ren and Stimpy
    Dexter's Lab
    Samurai Jack

POWERPUFF GIRLS

also, i'd donate money to see reboot come back. It's nice to know that every now and again Canada suprises you with some really good stuff.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Rocko's Modern Life
    rocko6ex.jpg
    Wiki Entry wrote:

Rocko's Modern Life is an American animated television series whose four seasons aired from 1993 to 1996. The show was based around the surreal, parodistic adventures of an anthropomorphic wallaby named Rocko, and his life in the city of O-Town. It is revealed in the episode "Skid Marks" that Rocko lives at 1172 Boogie Road. The series was created by Joe Murray. One of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons, it was the fourth series released in the Nicktoons group, and the first to be introduced since the original three were introduced in August 1991. The program was produced by Joe Murray Productions and Nickelodeon Studios, and occasionally by Games Productions.

The show is laden with suggestive double entendres, innuendo, and social commentary. It has become a prominent cult classic.

I liked this show when I was younger, but only really fully appreciated it when I rewatched the entire series on a whim a few months ago. Like a lot of great cartoons, there are various levels of humour to the show, and only a more mature audience can understand some of the funniest.

God I wish they still made them like that. :(

Here's a clip from my favorite episode, the one where they made their own cartoon. It was priceless.

WACKY DELI YEAH

It's kind of funny that even though its a parody it's pretty close to what a lot of the shows on CN are like now.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I feel bad for not mentioning Clone high earlier. :P

STICK THIS IN YOUR FACEHOLE!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Avatar has already been mentioned, though I have yet to watch the Seaons 3 premier.

I'm also enjoying Boondocks quite a bit and the season 2 trailer shows the quality animation of the show.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did anyone mention Undergrad yet? That was a pretty awesome show. Most have been mentioned. Cybersix, I remember that show, didn't it end in a cliffhanger? Like the bad guy's base exploded and you don't know if the main character made out in time or not.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I feel bad for not mentioning Clone high earlier. :P

STICK THIS IN YOUR FACEHOLE!

I err want aahhh aaaaahhhh pahtee plaatah!

Edit:
    Aha!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYzCyFEqT4

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God dammit you guys, now I'm going be busy watching Clone High clips on youtube. How the hell does good shows like these get cancelled and yet all this crap on t.v continues?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh hey, Downtown was awesome. Probably not too many of y'all have seen it though.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's a crazy mixed up world when shows like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs only last one season.

I mean come on...cadillacs, dinosaurs. It's practically a license to print money.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, Cybersix was an awesome show. One of my favourites.

I have the entire series of Clone High on DVD. Easily one of my favourite cartoons ever.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    OK, this thread freaking LOSES for not having Batman: TAS, easily one of the best (if not the best) Western Cartoon series' of the 90's. Where everyone was intent on pushing mediocrity packaged as kiddy crap, Paul Dini and Co. were pushing the envelope with mature characters, a genuinely dark setting, and action where (*shock*) characters punched, kicked and fired actual guns at each other.

Plus it had one the best filmic incarnation of "The Joker" ever. Mark Hamil owns all in that role as the utterly psychotic clown prince of crime.

subedii on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thunder Thunder, Thunder Thunder Cats!

ThunderCats, HOOOOOO!!!!!!

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pssst. Don't tell anyone but I liked the Daria cartoon on MTV. And The Maxx.

MTV!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Pssst. Don't tell anyone but I liked the Daria cartoon on MTV. And The Maxx.

MTV!

I liked those too.

Shinto on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Batman TAS was great, as was a lot of the warner brothers stuff of the time. Animainicas and Tiny Toons(to a less extent) and Freakazoid. That plus incredible x-men and the tick--pretty sure X-men was WB, but I have no clue about the tick.

Fuck... all that, all at the same time, made for a spectacular Saturday mornings.

The Batman? Pokemon, and 3 or 4 clones? guh... fuck that noise. Poor kids these days.

I've watched all of those shows within the past year, and they still hold up pretty well. X-men not quite as much as the others, honestly, but select mini-arcs are still watchable.

I'm pretty sure I still have all of The Maxx on vhs sitting on a shelf somewhere. The original Liquid Television (they brought it back after Bevies and Butthead's popularity died down, but it wasn't the same) stuff was pretty good, and even the aeon flux series was not bad. Hell, daria was rather entertaining

Zim? have people mentioned Zim? I don't read threads, but it is a fucking great show.

Billy and Mandy, more recently, was also fucking amazing. Clearly it was mainly aimed at kids, but there were way too many sci-fi references for it to be fully appreciated by them. Not just dune, but a whole God Emperor of Dune episode, and of course the Cuthulu one. Kill Bill, and the bike from Akira(correctly 2 wheel drive too) together in another ep...

There is an episode with a beauty contest, and one of the portion was the Gom Jabbor pain box thing... and then later a few seconds from the movie for the universe getting destroyed... god... I love that show so fucking much.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.