As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HOMESCHOOLED [Homeschooling thread] [About homeschooling}

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Kadith wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    when i larp i use guns

airsoft guns

but still
    that zombie thing sounds so cool

I would love to chase dudes in the dark and tackle them..

Hide and seek on a Friday night with my neighbors and a few friends.
    Good times, especially the semi-fights on the playground equipment.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    High school sucked until junior year where I actually made some friends.
    I'm hoping that I don't have to wait that long for college to be fun.

I learned the hard way that college doesn't just become fun.

Friends and dates don't just fall into your lap any more than they do in high school. Like everything else, it's what you make of it.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lol! wrote: »
    Queertzi wrote: »
    I did not see any wizards robes.

Just tinfoil

lots of tinfoil

Yeah those are LARPers. Fucking shitty ones too, from the sounds of it. It's those sorts that give us a bad name. We had this dude there today (it was dress rehearsal, but like families and shit could show up I guess) who was convinced that none of our weapons could be real because he'd seen some kids do something like this before and when you saw a sort up close it was obvious that it was just shitty tin and couldn't hurt anyone and I had to go all convincing him that no this is real fucking steel we are working with here, we just rehearsed and shit so it looks good.

Quetzi, do you know anything about the Ren Fair that goes to Sterling, NY?

No not really. I'm pretty tied to the Connecticut one (you should come, it's huge). I only know one New York fair and I don't really even know anything about it, just that they suck shit at doing any sort of streetwork (mostly stage shows, no real one on one interaction). But I'm not even sure if that's the right fair.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh loli is in grade school

my bad

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i love you crossbuster

coldbird. on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    basically the zombie larp is really just the kind of game you'd play as small childrens

only with hundreds of dollars of airsoft guns and military equipment

Pony on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Great homeschooling memories:
    Attending conferences where I was taught that DATING IS WRONG and COURTING IS HOW ONE MUST FIND A WIFE
    Having every single gone of my old homeschooling friends stop talking to me once I had the audacity to start going to an evil public school for high school
    Never having the slightest chance of talking to a girl

150cc on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Friends and dates don't just fall into your lap any more than they do in high school. Like everything else, it's what you make of it.

Really man? I don't know about dates yet but friends have just kinda shown up it is rad.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Religious homeschooling gives homeschooling in general the worst image.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    man homeschooling is like communism

the basic ideas are idealistic and good

every person who tries to implement them basically just uses them as a system to fuck people up

Pony on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That's what I'm trying to do in college and not make the same mistake I did in high school.
    So I've been talking to more people and asking more girls out.

Zombot on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what the hell is courting

i thought it was just a fancy word for dating

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Just tinfoil

lots of tinfoil

Yeah those are LARPers. Fucking shitty ones too, from the sounds of it. It's those sorts that give us a bad name. We had this dude there today (it was dress rehearsal, but like families and shit could show up I guess) who was convinced that none of our weapons could be real because he'd seen some kids do something like this before and when you saw a sort up close it was obvious that it was just shitty tin and couldn't hurt anyone and I had to go all convincing him that no this is real fucking steel we are working with here, we just rehearsed and shit so it looks good.

No not really. I'm pretty tied to the Connecticut one (you should come, it's huge). I only know one New York fair and I don't really even know anything about it, just that they suck shit at doing any sort of streetwork (mostly stage shows, no real one on one interaction). But I'm not even sure if that's the right fair.

Probably not. The Sterling one is huge, and a lot of street-level stuff. If the performers aren't doing a show, they just wander around having a good time and talking to people. It's pretty cool.
    Plus, I've gotten to see it grow over the 10+ years I've gone, this being the first year that I haven't. When they built the gift shop, they actually turned it into a demonstration on how shit was build, and how to thatch a roof.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i'm considering hooking up an n64 and playing mario kart

y/n

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had lots of friends in high school.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Just tinfoil

lots of tinfoil

Probably not. The Sterling one is huge, and a lot of street-level stuff. If the performers aren't doing a show, they just wander around having a good time and talking to people. It's pretty cool.
    Plus, I've gotten to see it grow over the 10+ years I've gone, this being the first year that I haven't. When they built the gift shop, they actually turned it into a demonstration on how shit was build, and how to thatch a roof.

Rad man. That's how we are too. I mean, hell, I'm only in the opening show and the closing show, I'm a pure street character. Or I guess I'm in the fight show sometimes too but still, mostly streetwork.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    don't do it

coldbird. on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I had lots of friends in high school.

you still have lots of friends jordyn

at least

i'm your friend

at least

i consider myself your friend :(

Pony on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I went to a private school for 2 years (7th and 8th grade). I hated it at the time, but in retrospect, I got a better education in those 2 years than I did in 4 years at a public high school.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was actually thinking about this the other day

Like if two superheroes got in a fight and one superhero hit the other one with a house and was just all

'you just got homeschooled

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The kid I sit next to in physics was homeschooled and is now spergin. Which is kind of sad, because I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, and I think part of what helped me was being around people and not homeschooled.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    WreckTechWreckTech Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    i'm considering hooking up an n64 and playing mario kart

y/n
    n imo

WreckTech on
    I don't know what I'm doing.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    I was actually thinking about this the other day

Like if two superheroes got in a fight and one superhero hit the other one with a house and was just all

'you just got homeschooled

Made me laugh.
    Sell it to Marvel.

Zombot on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what does ass burgers do btw

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No loli it did not help at all

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    what does ass burgers do btw

Form of autism.

And yes, it did. I know how to interact with people, at least to some extent. Do I have trouble with it at times? Fuck yes. I am one of the most socially awkward people I know if I'm around more than 3 people. This kid, on the other hand, is just fucked. I mean, he has no knowledge of how to interact with other people.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Asperger's is horribly overdiagnosed

it is the new ADHD

both asperger's and adhd are legitimate medical conditions with very real effects felt by many

i am not trying to say they are not real

however

overdiagnosed? shit yes

adhd was basically the excuse when a fidgety kid had behavioral problems

asperger's is the excuse when a booksmart kid is socially retarded and find school difficult because of that

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. And the overdiagnosing is what's lead to people saying "Bullshit ADHD," including my own father and grandmother.
    Yeah.
    Try finding a nice way at 10 years old to say "Dad? Grammi? You're full of shit, fuck off."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    man when i was diagnosed ASPD i made the foolish mistake of telling my mom

she did not deal with that shit well

basically, she just refused to accept it entirely and still pretty much does

i don't press the issue

i am happier in a world where my mother doesn't think i'm a sociopath

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think even if I was ever diagnosed with either of those ailments I wouldn't believe it.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    A lot of kids I knew in grade school were diagnosed with ADD including me.
    I however, really had it.
    Most of those kids just needed to be told to sit the fuck down and do their homework.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i was diagnosed with ADD

and put on ritalin

WHOA NIGHT TERRORS ARE PRETTY COOL RIGHT GUYS

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i was diagnosed with ADD

and put on ritalin

What?
    I took ritalin as well and never had a night terror.

Zombot on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I know when I forget to take my ADHD meds, because when I'm on the bus to school, my brain won't stop fucking going. I don't mean, "Oh ha ha, easily distracted." I mean, there's a constant steady stream of thought that branches off into other, semi-related topics instantly, fast enough that I lose track of whatever the first thing was within 5 minutes.
    Also, my father kind of had to find out because my parents are divorced, and this isn't something my mom was going to not tell him.

Can't wait till I'm old enough to tell him to fuck off.
    EDIT: Also, that's when you know Ritalin isn't for you. Personally, I think Ritalin is shitty even when you do have ADHD. The hardcore cases get Concerta. Think Ritalin, but stronger and continuous release.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    instead of being active and not doing my work, it made me lazy and not doing my work. wooo ritalin

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think they've blurred the line to the extent where even if you did have it would be almost impossible to tell.

I mean, how would you know?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i was diagnosed with ADD

and put on ritalin

What?
    I took ritalin as well and never had a night terror.

generally speaking you only develop night terrors as the result of psychological trauma or chemical imbalance in the brain

if you have both and you add a brain-altering drug to that mix

boy howdy!

what fun you can have

by fun oh god mommy i haven't slept in three days because of the spiders

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man I am thinking of shit all the time too

I must have ADHD

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Because you know when your brain won't slow down, no matter how much you wish it would.
    EDIT: Oh god Pony I laughed at that am I going to hell?
    The only time I didn't sleep for extended periods of time was right after I saw the Exorcist.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Personally, I know when I forget to take my ADHD meds, because when I'm on the bus to school, my brain won't stop fucking going. I don't mean, "Oh ha ha, easily distracted." I mean, there's a constant steady stream of thought that branches off into other, semi-related topics instantly, fast enough that I lose track of whatever the first thing was within 5 minutes.
    Also, my father kind of had to find out because my parents are divorced, and this isn't something my mom was going to not tell him.

Can't wait till I'm old enough to tell him to fuck off.
    EDIT: Also, that's when you know Ritalin isn't for you. Personally, I think Ritalin is shitty even when you do have ADHD. The hardcore cases get Concerta. Think Ritalin, but stronger and continuous release.

I got Concerta when I got into high school.
    That shit fucked me up the first couple of days.

Zombot on