As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Sales Numbers 3: We <3 Analysts

• Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    it feels like saying so and so game will sell a couple mil in the first month is just a little...rash? I dunno. We can say it about halo but halo is this bizarre anamoly. galaxy will sell millions, for sure, but isn't selling a couple million in the first month a bit...unheard of?
    Well NSMB sold over 900k within the first week in Japan alone, so if we're talking worldwide figures 3million for the first week isn't so far-fetched.
    In particular, Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. took top honors for the week with 334, 208 units sold. Add that to the roughly 900K units sold in the previous week, and you get a whopping total of over 1.2 million units sold in just two weeks in Japan

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12961

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    On a slight tangent, does anyone think that the sales boost from Halo 3 will be enough to put the hardware sales for the 360 back ahead of the Wii?
    I think this is extremely doubtful. The dudes at Neogaf, who are super anal about numbers and their sources (which I'm glad they are), currently have the Wii with a 400k lead worldwide over the 360.

So here's the situation. In Japan, even at its current record lows, the Wii is adding to its lead by ~120k every month (30k a week). That makes the gap 520k. In the US, the last two months the Wii sold 400k (4-week reporting periods). This month is 5 weeks, but we'll call it 400k again. So the lead is 920k. Canada is lower, like 34k for the Wii.

If the 360 is going to overtake the Wii in September, it'll have to sell over 960k consoles in September, and even that is being conservative. Europe isn't included because their numbers are hard to get so it would likely require ~150k more. Maybe it can pass the Wii over Nov. and Dec. if supply is strained but September would take some sort of record console sales for the month. 960k is a December-type month in the US. Not to mention the 360 is handicapped; it only sells about 4k a month in Japan. It would have to pull all of the 960k from two regions.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it feels like saying so and so game will sell a couple mil in the first month is just a little...rash? I dunno. We can say it about halo but halo is this bizarre anamoly. galaxy will sell millions, for sure, but isn't selling a couple million in the first month a bit...unheard of?

Super Mario Sunshine was released on July 19 in Japan.
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/supermariosunshine/news.html?sid=2875352&mode=recent
    Jul 23, 2002
    According to Bloomberg Japan, sales of Super Mario Sunshine for the GameCube may have already reached the 400,000 mark, making it one of the fastest-selling games to date--Konami's soccer game Winning Eleven 6 for the PlayStation 2 also hit that mark shortly after it was released. Super Mario Sunshine is the first GameCube game with Mario staring as the lead character. Equipped with his water cannon, Mario sets out to clean up Dolphic Island and discover the true identity of the translucent Mario.

http://games.ign.com/articles/370/370235p1.html
    September 6, 2002 - The world's favorite plumber has returned with a bang! During its first 10 days of availability, Super Mario Sunshine for Nintendo GameCube is already a smash hit, selling through more than 350,000 games. This is a total not achieved by any competitor, including Xbox's popular Halo or Playstation 2's Grand Theft Auto 3 until a month or more on store shelves.

The best I could find for GC sales in 2002 is this:
    http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/vidgame/vid2002.htm
    May
    * Unit shipments of GameCube systems worldwide to date: 4-5 million. [441.24]
    Assuming that Galaxy comes out in the same month in Japan as the other regions, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold over two million total in all regions in the first month.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well NSMB sold over 900k within the first week in Japan alone, so if we're talking worldwide figures 3million for the first week isn't so far-fetched.
    In particular, Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. took top honors for the week with 334, 208 units sold. Add that to the roughly 900K units sold in the previous week, and you get a whopping total of over 1.2 million units sold in just two weeks in Japan

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12961

Big game+lot of advertisment+holidays=big sales.

Gears did more than a million in its 30 days if I remember right, and there were what, 7 million 360's sold at that point? Maybe 8?

Then take a game like Mario, which has broader appeal then a game like Gears (you wouldn't really want to give that to a seven year old, would you?) on the "hot" system right now, and you'll be doing well.

Galaxy is very hard to read. It start off modestly and build, or it might start off huge and become the next big thing. Yes, I know both of those are positive, but I don't think I live in a world where this game will do anything less than very fucking well. If you discount stuff like Sports and Play it'll probably end up in the top 3 lifetime sales on the Wii, judging by previous sales.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i expect galaxy to be the best game since super mario bros. 3 :D

unfortunately, even if it does live up to its enormous expectations, i've already conceded to the fact that galaxy has almost zero chance of getting the game of the year award. At least not here in the states. Even if halo3 brings about halo2-esque disappointments (i mean campaign, not multiplayer), i still expect the western gaming media to pin it as GOTY, whether it deserves it or not.

am I jaded? yeah...pretty much

Guek on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mass Effect or Bioshock are much more likely to get GOTY than Halo 3. Galaxy is too.

Halo 3 is good, it will sell like nothing else, but no credible gaming journalist will pin it as GOTY because of its reputation, they will be penned as leaning on the fanboy side. Ive played Halo 3. It is excellent. Its not as good as Bioshock though, and while yes, 3 years down the line Ill still be playing Halo 3 but not Bioshock, with bioshock I felt that for the first time in a long time it was actually moving the needle for FPSs.

Halo 3 is combat refined, not evolved as the gt review said.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Galaxy is positioned to dominate. A Thanksgiving release (strategically placed the week before Black Friday in the US), over a holiday season where by the end of December there could be 16 million Wiis total. Not to mention the universal appeal. In December I think we could see an insane attach rate for Galaxy (# of Galaxy sold vs. # of Wii sold that month).

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    i expect galaxy to be the best game since super mario bros. 3 :D

unfortunately, even if it does live up to its enormous expectations, i've already conceded to the fact that galaxy has almost zero chance of getting the game of the year award. At least not here in the states. Even if halo3 brings about halo2-esque disappointments (i mean campaign, not multiplayer), i still expect the western gaming media to pin it as GOTY, whether it deserves it or not.

am I jaded? yeah...pretty much

I kinda agree, I think it'll get GOTY but I don't think it'll deserve it.

I'd love something completely out of the blue getting GOTY.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Mass Effect or Bioshock are much more likely to get GOTY than Halo 3. Galaxy is too.

Halo 3 is good, it will sell like nothing else, but no credible gaming journalist will pin it as GOTY because of its reputation, they will be penned as leaning on the fanboy side. Ive played Halo 3. It is excellent. Its not as good as Bioshock though, and while yes, 3 years down the line Ill still be playing Halo 3 but not Bioshock, with bioshock I felt that for the first time in a long time it was actually moving the needle for FPSs.

It's gotta be Bioshock. I haven't played Galaxy, but Bio has to be the favorite going in.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Even though I haven't played it yet, the same goes for Smash Bros. Brawl. I'll be playing it long after anything this year, and no one will give it GOTY, probably not even just Wii Game of the Year.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Galaxy and Crysis are released on my birthday.

Dont know which Ill play more. Probably Crysis. Ive always been more hyped for brawl. I think brawl is going to end up as the dark horse 'goty omg' type game on wii, not galaxy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Dont know which Ill play more. Probably Crysis. Ive always been more hyped for brawl. I think brawl is going to end up as the dark horse 'goty omg' type game on wii, not galaxy.

I don't think SSBB is close to being a dark horse. It has been very hyped up on gaming sites.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »

It's gotta be Bioshock. I haven't played Galaxy, but Bio has to be the favorite going in.

I'll be sorely disappointed if bioshock gets GOTY..:( just one man's opinion though. I'd rather it went to mass effect or galaxy.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Even though I haven't played it yet, the same goes for Smash Bros. Brawl. I'll be playing it long after anything this year, and no one will give it GOTY, probably not even just Wii Game of the Year.

Exactly. My opinion on game reviews is they should place more emphasis on quality than value. Even though Halo 3 has easily the most expansive multiplayer of perhaps any game ever, and a review should definetly reflect that, it should also be more focussed towards a 'day one' initial impact type effect. this is why i think a sinple player only game like bioshock or mass effect, or galaxy is much more likely to be reviewed higher even though brawl or halo 3 has vastly more value. and rightly so.

for me, a review should sum up your first single player playthrough, or your first gaming session with a game. every game ive ever played i have been able to judge it perfectly within the first 2 hours or so. there is an awful lot to be said about that initial snap decision. its important. i dont have time to play every game ever, and i end up being forced to play a lot of shit. so perhaps im much more critical and unforgiving than most. its worked for me so far. i dont think ive ever bought a game i regretted buying. and while the multiplayer games for me have the longest impact (halo, coh, cs heck even melee or ts2) it is those single player freshly squeezed games that i remember as a real landmark in my gaming life; the half lifes, metroid prime, skies.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I don't think SSBB is close to being a dark horse. It has been very hyped up on gaming sites.

ssbb is akin to the second coming for me. or...third coming, I guess. yeah. coming. everywhere.

well you get the idea.

edit: horrible top post D:

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I know. it has the largest thread on GAF.

but what i mean is, galaxy and halo 3 and bioshock, these are all games people know are going to be goty contenders. brawl for me seems like it will be on the list but wont win. but i predict it could be a total surprise. like bioshock. we all knew bioshock was going to be good, but nowhere near as seminal as it turned out to be (purely reviews/sales). I think brawl could be the next bioshock type review whirlwind.

dont get me wrong, im not saying it is underhyped, or potentially bad. but i do see it coming out of left field to snap up goty from some big hitters. much more likely than galaxy imo

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Bioshocks a great game but I don't think it'll get GOTY. It really loses it's momentum near the end of the game and I think that'll come into play when deciding whether it gets GOTY. I'm really hoping GOTY will be a game that hasn't been released yet purely because I want more amazing games to play.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    This is actually a really interesting side topic. I think in many ways Bioshock is a very interesting choice for GOTY. Think about it like the Oscars for a minute. It was released early in the period, which usually hurts a movie/game, because people forget about it. However, this game is the spiritual sequel (at times it seems like it is corpsehumping) of an underrated classic, System Shock 2, so it will get a boost up from that...

The platform races are going to be especially hard. Except the DS. Phantom Hourglass has that one sown up.

360:Halo 3/Bioshock/Maybe Mass Effect
    Wii:Brawl/Galaxy
    DS: Phantom Hourglass
    PSP:There's a bunch of good titles here, I'll leave it up to someone who follows the system.
    PS3:Umm..................................................Next Year MGS4?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is actually a really interesting side topic. I think in many ways Bioshock is a very interesting choice for GOTY. Think about it like the Oscars for a minute. It was released early in the period, which usually hurts a movie/game, because people forget about it. However, this game is the spiritual sequel (at times it seems like it is corpsehumping) of an underrated classic, System Shock 2, so it will get a boost up from that...

The platform races are going to be especially hard. Except the DS. Phantom Hourglass has that one sown up.

PSP:There's a bunch of good titles here, I'll leave it up to someone who follows the system.
    As unlikely as it is, PS3 might pull off a GOTY candidate with Ratchet and Clank or Uncharted. Doubtful though.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007

It will probably be Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank for the PS3.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I haven't played it yet but shouldn't Metroid 3 be on the Wii list...I mean everyone I hear who has it says it was pretty good(again haven't played it myself)

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    for PSP it would probably be either

Crisis Core
    War of the Lions
    Silent Hill Origins
    Manhunt 2
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    PS3 GOTY will be Warhawk. I love that game. Should have been cheaper to buy though, it would have been really deep in the 90%s except nigh on every review cited its price as a major downer. its pretty awesome.

in the words of mark macdonald: NYYYYYYOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWSHIT

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    when you mention mgs4 for next year it just gets me thinking about what's coming...which is what??

my epic dream: next holiday season, Kid Icarus developed by Retro Studios, Starfox Wii developed by Nintendo EAD, Star Tropics developed by Intelligent Systems.

yeah...but none of those games are likely to come out within a year if ever at all...

sorry about that tangent, i was just kind of thinking out loud. I find it funny that people have shrugged off asassin's creed due to the recent negative press. A few months ago, it was definitely a GOTY contender.

My vote goes for Mass Effect...which is funny because I wont be playing that game until summer 2008 at the earliest. I'd vote for galaxy but I'm just not that optimistic in today's critics.

Guek on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I predict Galaxy will sell at least 8 million, and maybe more.
    That would only be 50% more than Sunshine, after all.
    I'm going to be ballsy and predict 3 million within the first week, with 8 million total sellthrough.

I'm going to say more than that. I'm guessing around 11 million lifetime (matching up with Super Mario 64). Given how much wider the Wii audience will be by the end of its lifetime than the Gamecube audience was, and also that Galaxy will probably have about 4 years to sell where Sunshine only had about 3.

We consider Mario Sunshine to be a commercial failure even though it eeked out Halo, which is considered a run-away commercial success. Maybe it's just because people didn't automatically expect MS to be able to compete, so an early success for an MS game was a bit of a shock. Meanwhile Mario Sunshine not meeting up to Mario 64 leaves everyone with a sour impression.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    when you mention mgs4 for next year it just gets me thinking about what's coming...which is what??
    Wiifit.

A lot of people are gonna call bullshit after the rant I just had but thats without a doubt one of the things I'm most looking forward to next year. It may be what a lot of people class as a non-game but it's got my parents interested in my hobby which hasn't happened before. I really like the idea of promoting health and as long as it's not all marketing bullshit and actually has exercise plans it should do well. Also, I think it'd make for an awesome peripheral for a snowboarding game.

Also, Alan Wake. If it ever comes out.

WickerBasket on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

Crisis Core
    War of the Lions
    Silent Hill Origins
    Manhunt 2

I was going to post the second and third titles but I didn't want everyone going port, port, olol. I didn't know Crisis Core was coming out west this yeear, and I don't think Manhunt has what it takes. Syphon Filter is an excellent choice though.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »

Crisis Core
    War of the Lions
    Silent Hill Origins
    Manhunt 2

I was going to post the second and third titles but I didn't want everyone going port, port, olol. I didn't know Crisis Core was coming out west this yeear, and I don't think Manhunt has what it takes. Syphon Filter is an excellent choice though.

silent hill isn't a port?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Crisis core is more of a port than origins.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

See, this is why I didn't offer any PSP games, as I know shit. Is it a remake, or a zero game?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

See, this is why I didn't offer any PSP games, as I know shit. Is it a remake, or a zero game?

Crisis core is basically RE:make but with Final fantasy 7. i think. i may be hilariously wrong here.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Is crisis core an RPG? I'm not that surprised that that game sold a bunch of PSPs in Japan.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Crisis core is basically RE:make but with Final fantasy 7. i think. i may be hilariously wrong here.

Crisis Core is Zach's story. Think more RE Zero.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is crisis core an RPG? I'm not that surprised that that game sold a bunch of PSPs in Japan.

It's an Action RPG. Go watch the Gametrailers preview, it explained more about the game than any other preview I've read.

Btw, Wikipedia is only really good if the page you visit is frequently visited by other people. But if it isn't so popular, it's very easy for mistakes and outdated information to be included. For example, the list of PS3 games includes 'Endless Crisis: Final Fantasy VII', which was a bullshit rumour.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How much did Super Mario Sunshine sell back in the day? I ask because I expect Super Mario Galaxy to have a similar attach rate with the Wii.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    galaxy will outsell sunshine by a good margin I think.

Guek on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If Galaxy does not outsell Sunshine I'll eat a rooster.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    galaxy will probably outshine sunshine

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    depending on how good it is, galaxy might outsell halo 3 in its lifetime. super mario world sold over 20 mil and mario 64 sold 11 mil, both considerably more than halo 2. Depending on how good halo 3 is, I can see it matching mario 64 but not passing it by relevant amount.

so my guess for galaxy?

billion copies
    sold

day 1

Guek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »
    How much did Super Mario Sunshine sell back in the day? I ask because I expect Super Mario Galaxy to have a similar attach rate with the Wii.
    Sunshine sold 5.5 million to 21.63 million Gamecubes, so 25.4% of Gamecube owners.

If you immediately applied that number to the Wii for Galaxy this fall: As of the end of August there are ~11 million Wii worldwide and estimates are 16 million at the end of December. So if it instantaneously met that attach rate it would have 4 million by the end of December.

Could agrue about whether the new breed of Wii owners are more or less likely to buy Galaxy. I would think if it's really soccer moms and casuals snapping up Wiis it could do better than 25.4% because well, he's that Mario guy. But hey! You know? Casuals don't buy games so that's probably a terrible assumption.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
This discussion has been closed.