As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Sales Numbers 3: We <3 Analysts

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    Could agrue about whether the new breed of Wii owners are more or less likely to buy Galaxy. I would think if it's really soccer moms and casuals snapping up Wiis it could do better than 25.4% because well, he's that Mario guy. But hey! You know? Casuals don't buy games so that's probably a terrible assumption.

They also only make up 10% of its userbase. I don't see them being the deciding factor. If anything the vast majority of sales are going to be to the nintendo 'diehards' who bought the system for the nintendo first party games. If anything the attachment rate may be lower because a lot of the expanded Wii user base are old ps2 gamers or what have you, who are less likely to be attached to Mario.

Leitner on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Where is this 10% figure coming from. Just curious thats all.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

It was posted in the last (one before last possibly?) sales thread. With casual being defined as someone who has either never owned a console, or not owned a console for the last five years prior to purchasing a Wii.

Leitner on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Nintendo themselves, if I remember correctly.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    If Galaxy does not outsell Sunshine I'll eat a rooster.

I see what you did there.
    Penis

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

how on earth did they collect this information?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The same way they figured out how to reach this massive untouched demographic of non-gamers.

VOODOO!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited September 2007

The same way they figured out how to reach this massive untouched demographic of non-gamers.

VOODOO!

i lol'd

voodoo is not used enough these days

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

It was posted in the last (one before last possibly?) sales thread. With casual being defined as someone who has either never owned a console, or not owned a console for the last five years prior to purchasing a Wii.

i.e. people who haven't played games since at least Mario 64 or even Super Mario World. Lapsed gamers have hugely fond memories of Mario from their childhoods.

I honestly have no idea how Mario will sell to the "new gamer" part of the casual demographic ... but I'm dead certain that it'll sell like hotcakes to the "lapsed gamer" part.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate the fact that Galaxy will be labeled a disappointment if it doesn't sell 10 million before Christmas. I predict 2-3 million by the end of the calender year.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess it should be noted here that Kaz Hirari said at TGS not to expect a PS3 price drop anytime soon.
    "We think about price daily," said Hirai, "but at this point we're not considering doing something immediately."

So why can't they drop the price? Drum roll...
    "Before adjusting the price, we have some things to do," he said. "It's important to strengthen our software lineup, get the word out about the PS3, and see if we can deliver our message."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/822/822409p1.html

Spinnety spin spin spin. Hey Kaz, you know what's keeping Sony from getting the word out about the PS3? The goddamn price. And if they wait till the software lineup gets strengthened (next spring, say), it'll be too late. The other systems will have far too much momentum to overcome even if the lineup is pure awesome.

Looks like Sony's going to continue to be overly conservative until they're completely marginalized.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kaz Hirai is spinning so much he might as well move to Tazmania.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Could agrue about whether the new breed of Wii owners are more or less likely to buy Galaxy. I would think if it's really soccer moms and casuals snapping up Wiis it could do better than 25.4% because well, he's that Mario guy. But hey! You know? Casuals don't buy games so that's probably a terrible assumption.

They also only make up 10% of its userbase. I don't see them being the deciding factor. If anything the vast majority of sales are going to be to the nintendo 'diehards' who bought the system for the nintendo first party games. If anything the attachment rate may be lower because a lot of the expanded Wii user base are old ps2 gamers or what have you, who are less likely to be attached to Mario.

Do you have any idea how freaking popular Mario is?

It wasn't just "Nintendo diehards" that made New Super Mario Bros one of the best selling games on the DS.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Do you have any idea how freaking popular Mario is?

It wasn't just "Nintendo diehards" that made New Super Mario Bros one of the best selling games on the DS.

To my generation (I was born mid-80s) it was shown that Mario is a more well known icon than Mickey Mouse.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28948

Microsoft says Halo 3 now has 1.5 million preorders in the US, which is the most a game has ever had before release. Any bets on first day says? Halo 2 did 2.4 million, I think this is going to be around that.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »

Microsoft says Halo 3 now has 1.5 million preorders in the US, which is the most a game has ever had before release. Any bets on first day says? Halo 2 did 2.4 million, I think this is going to be around that.

I'm gonna say 3 to 3.5 million high end estimate, that's if we're including Europe (though technically it comes out a day later).

Leitner on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I'm gonna say 3 to 3.5 million, that's if we're including Europe (though technically it comes out a day later).

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. I was talking US only though, those are the numbers they released for Halo 2's first day at least, then later they had a "6 million worldwide in 2 weeks" announcement.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    2.5 million for first-day Halo 3 sounds about right. Halo 2 came on a system with a higher install base, but Halo 3 seems to have even more hype/ads/anticipation.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    1.5m in the US? I wonder what Europe's figures are. Easily gonna add another million on there, i would've thought.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    1.5m in the US? I wonder what Europe's figures are. Easily gonna add another million on there, i would've thought.

halo3piercetheheavensou0.jpg

PIERCE THE HEAVENS HALO 3 EDITION 360!!!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I think looking at NSMB is a fair comparison because the DS has been a big mainstream hit like the Wii, although we could get into handheld vs console disagreements. The DS is sitting at 47.27 million. NSMB is at 10.52 million as of June, which is 22.3%, slightly lower than Sunshine but still solid since the DS has double the install base of the Gamecube. I don't know what percentage of DS owners fall into the casual category but it's fair to say they didn't hurt NSMB if it was destined for a Sunshine-like rate. But in turn they didn't help it push above 25% either.

But this is all kinds of silly, Galaxy is going to sell a boatload in its lifetime regardless of a big launch or a slow burn.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But this is all kinds of silly, Galaxy is going to sell a boatload in its lifetime regardless of a big launch or a slow burn.

Which brings up a point about halo 3. If it does sell 3+ mil on the first day, about a quarter of the current 360s, does it have the console base to continue to sell at that rate? Halo 2 sold to a bit more than a third of the oxbox users, but that was halfway through it's life.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Which brings up a point about halo 3. If it does sell 3+ mil on the first day, about a quarter of the current 360s, does it have the console base to continue to sell at that rate? Halo 2 sold to a bit more than a third of the oxbox users, but that was halfway through it's life.

Oh, I'm sure it'll sell well as the months go by. Halo is played by a LOT of casual gamers who don't buy many other games, so I'm sure a decent stream of them will buy the system and Halo through the holidays.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=172535
    Speaking off the record (which means we can't name names), we've been told by sources in both the publishing and retail sectors that PS3 is on the verge of receiving a massive price cut - to £299.

But this won't be for the 60GB system that's currently on the shelves. It'll be a stripped down version, which Sky News reports will ship without backwards compatibility or USB ports. How you'll sync your controllers without them, we don't know.

Sony has been tipped to make an announcement regarding the stripped-down PS3 this week - right on time to combat Microsoft's massive Halo 3 launch.

We'll let you know if SCEE has anything to say.
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=17541
    Newsweek columnist anticipating 40GB model

As speculation surrounding the introduction of a cheaper 40GB PS3 continues to circulate—it's believed that the 80GB will drop to $499 while a new 40GB model will be brought to market for $399—Newsweek's N'Gai Croal has posted some interesting information in his latest Monday Morning Quarterback feature.

According to trusted sources outside of Sony, Croal said that "Sony placed a sizable order for 40 gigabyte hard drives." More interesting still is that the "profit and loss on hardware has been moved from Sony Computer Entertainment International (SCEI) to the regional groups, SCE America, SCE Europe and SCE Japan. This means that each territory is now free to set its own pricing on PS3 hardware, but those individual territories are responsible for managing the hit to their profitability if they decide to cut the price."

This could potentially explain why SCE chief executive Kaz Hirai made no announcement of a price cut during the Tokyo Game Show. If profit and loss is being handled on a regional basis, SCEA could still announce a price cut and a new 40GB model in the near future.

Croal continued, "If my source is correct, I'd expect to see a $399 PS3 in North America before Thanksgiving... I'm not sure that Japan will cut its price that much, but I suspect that they will time their price cut to the December release of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue; the Japanese will probably also see some GT5 Prologue bundles as well. Europe is a bit of a wild card, since various PAL territories have already put together some extravagant bundles to help justify the PS3's extravagant price, but I expect them to avail themselves of the returning 40 gigabyte model as well."
    The rumors are starting to pile up up. If it is gimped in any other way than having 40GB less than the 80GB version, I am going to say it will sell badly.

Couscous on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    would that be a new SKU? and a gimped version at £300 is still $600

:|

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i'd buy a $400 PS3

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How much does software emulation cost? And usb ports... Those seem like silly things to cut to drop the price $100. They need the price drop but backwards compatability was a big draw on the PS2 and the other two both consoles both have it.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think a $400 PS3 has a great chance of regaining some lost momentum

But just not very much lost momentum...

Because it feels like "too little, too late" at this point. For $400 people can just pick up a not-so-RROD-y 360 with a 3 year warranty and Halo 3. Or a Wii and Prime3, Galaxy, and Brawl on top of Wii Sports.

slash000 on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    (snip)

The rumors are starting to pile up up. If it is gimped in any other way than having 40GB less than the 80GB version, I am going to say it will sell badly.

The difference in cost between a 40GB drive and an 80GB drive is negligible ... under $20 really if Pricewatch is any indication. I find it hard to believe that saving that $20 would allow them to cut the price by $200.

Heck ... if you reduced the hard drive space enough to get $200 back you'd have to just eliminate the drive altogether. And then some more.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    because the ps3 has absolutely 0 games for it

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There will not be a PS3 that cheap.

Build in Blu Ray would mean selling it at that cost would be suicide.

This.

Will.

Not.

Happen.

Believe me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    blu ray is like 100$ worth of the ps3's cost

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I still don't understand why Sony would do this. It just makes no sense to me. Why make a new model instead of just cutting the price of the old model?
    sony is taking the cobra commander approach to this generation. every week theyve got some villainous plot thats easily foiled by common sense and they end up running away while shouting "WE'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME!!!!!"
    This would explain a lot.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There will not be a PS3 that cheap.

Build in Blu Ray would mean selling it at that cost would be suicide.

THIS IS SONY!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    blu ray is like 100$ worth of the ps3's cost [citation needed]

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This would be an interesting gambit. Honestly, they have none else to lose this holiday season. Go big or go home.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How could it not have USB ports?

The 40gb thing I could maybe understand as a saving face excuse to cut the price - sort of an "no, it's not really a $200 price cut this soon, we're actually making it cheaper so we're dropping the price, see!" measure to get a cheaper version out there... but cutting the backwards compatibility makes zero sense now that it's not an extra chip anyway, and there aren't that many other features they can cut out... unless they'd repackage the 80gb version with the new controller + some other overpriced toy they won't lose too much money on

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    blu ray is like 100$ worth of the ps3's cost [citation needed]

[43][46]

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    R0b0KyR0b0Ky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I remember some publisher basically saying that they think Nintendo's claims that they reaching a whole new market is exaggerated. Based on their data less than 10% of people who purchased a Wii have never bought a console before.

I can't seem to find where D:

R0b0Ky on
This discussion has been closed.