As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Damages: Glenn Close sues Ted Danson!

devoirdevoir Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Damages is an American legal drama television program. The story revolves around a ruthless lawyer (Glenn Close) attempting to win a class-action lawsuit against the former CEO of a corporation (Ted Danson) on behalf of his former workers, by any means necessary (see plot). The show debuted on FX in the U.S. on July 24, 2007...

The premiere episode begins with Ellen Parsons running through the streets, visibly stained with blood on her hands and face, and in a state of shock. The police arrive and take her in for questioning, but she refuses to give any information; she simply demands to see a lawyer. Using a bloodied business card found on her with the words "I was warned" and her signature on the back of it, they contact someone who tried to employ her once, and clues start to unfold.

With that the show shifts to its main focus, a timeline six months in the past. It first introduces Patty Hewes, a ruthless lawyer, then details how Ellen came to be one of Patty's associates. Hewes is in the midst of a huge class-action lawsuit against Arthur Frobisher, and is willing to do anything — and use anyone necessary — to win it.

The story shifts back and forth between two timelines, providing connecting details (for example, six months ago, a pair of miniature Statue of Liberty bookends is given as a gift, while in the present it is seen as evidence, i.e., a murder weapon).

I love this show. It balances conspiracy, legal drama, relationship drama, issues regarding females with careers and a fantastic cast. One of the best things, for me, is how the show (set over six months) deals with this one case in a manner that seems semi-plausible as opposed to many other legal drama/thrillers which deal with a single court case in the space of a week of in-show time.

Anyone else watching this? Have thoughts as to where it's going?

devoir on

• Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I watched the pilot a little while ago and was surprised how good it was (only gave it a chance for Rose Byrne). Definitely going to watch it, and I hope the quality keeps up.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've liked almost all of FX's drama's but rarely can make time to watch them. Hell, I liked Lucky.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DVR'd the first six or so episodes because I figured I'd get hooked and not want to wait the whole stretch. Love it more than I thought I would.

I can't honestly speculate as to what the fuck is going on - I can make guesses, but as to the over-arching storyline, Patty's just evil.

edit:
    I've liked almost all of FX's drama's but rarely can make time to watch them. Hell, I liked Lucky.

I forgot all about Lucky. I liked that show.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is she evil, or is she just ruthless? I mean, she's fighting against Frobisher for the little guy, but is there an ulterior motive or is she just so against "bullies" that she's willing to sacrifice anything for that?

That's what I love about the characters, there is depth and multiple motivations behind each one, rather than two dimensional cutouts with singularity of purpose.

devoir on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how the future scenes are slowly weeding out who the masked man could possibly be.

The "restaurant owner/sec guy" reveal was awesome.

"She spat at me!"

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh yes. That reveal was masterful. I haven't been surprised like that by a TV show in a while.

I love how Ted Danson's character seems likeable. He's not the stereotypical jackass CEO, he obviously cares about his family and is human. Yes, he's selfish and has a twisted view of the world, but he's not the polarising inhuman character that they could have put in his place.

devoir on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hey devoir, last weeks episode was the first, correct? Because I missed it (didn't really think it looked interesting) but what you guys are talking about here sounds cool. If I only missed the first episode then I will try and pick it up this week.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In Australia they're up to the third episode. They repeated the pilot last week and on Sunday they played the second episode.

It's definitely worth getting into. Maybe see if you can find someone who recorded it.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    In Australia they're up to the third episode. They repeated the pilot last week and on Sunday they played the second episode.

It's definitely worth getting into. Maybe see if you can find someone who recorded it.

alright then, thanks.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damages is awesome and everyone should watch it.

Even you.

I mean, I still wish they'd done a second season of Thief instead, but this is great regardless.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I should probably turn the tv on occasionally. why don't you people tell me about these things ahead of time :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, with the magicks of the internet you don't necessarily need to use the TV.

devoir on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't get the classy channels.

The television renaisance we are living through is passing me by.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I have this very sad mental image of Shinto as an intellectual trapped in the world of rednecks, NASCAR, cheap beer and trailerparks without the benefit of good television.

I know it sounds silly, but it's actually quite sad to me. =/

devoir on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I have this very sad mental image of Shinto as an intellectual trapped in the world of rednecks, NASCAR, cheap beer and trailerparks without the benefit of good television.

I know it sounds silly, but it's actually quite sad to me. =/

Who you callin an interlectual?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. forever!

Shinto on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what other great drama has been on this channel? I've never even tuned it in.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck (though I dont care for it), the Riches, the late Over There...I know I'm missing some stuff. F/X has some quality original stuff for a network that plays so much other crap. Their shows are always really well done, tightly scripted and paced, and addictive as crank.

Also, since they're pay cable, they tend to 'get away' with more, censor-wise. I think they made it a point to say 'shit' and 'cock' three times each each episode in the last season of Rescue Me just because they could, and the sex scenes are sometimes graphic to the point of 'wow did I skip to the naked channel'.

deowolf on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You forgot Lucky and Thief. Both good shows that couldn't make it. I have no idea how FX became a producer of quality original drama but they have.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I missed Thief. It's whole six episode run? The six weeks I was in basic training. Sucks, because I love me some Andre Braugher.

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    FX also has It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's a comedy, but it's amazing.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    OK, I just managed to watch the first episode and am getting the second. Pretty damn interesting I must say.

Also, is it just me or was that coat thing that she showed her boyfriend halfway through the first episode, the one that she was wearing at the start?

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm not 100% sure. I'll have to go watch the first episode again. It didn't trigger anything when I saw it in later episodes, other than "That's the coat she wore when she was covered in blood."

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    I like how the future scenes are slowly weeding out who the masked man could possibly be.

Wha? What masked man?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The guy wasn't masked, it's just we never see his face in the flashbacks as far as I can tell.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I went back and looked again and it definitely looks like the same coat. When she gets it out she jokes about needing a reason to wear it or something.
    I doubt it means too much, and I'm only an episode in, but I like it when shows like these have little things like that, to keep it all consistent.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, that's awesome that they actually pay attention to detail and continuity. Or rather, they strive for even deeper continuity than is 'necessary'.

devoir on
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    (only gave it a chance for Rose Byrne).

Same and it is pretty good.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    She's an Australian!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Soo... that was interesting...
    What could have rattled Patti so much? And is Lyla connected, or just a random psycho stalker element?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Soo... that was interesting...
    What could have rattled Patti so much?

I believe in a previous episode someone said it was something
    Ray Fiske said that spooked her badly

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I halfway believe that Patti set up this whole Lyla thing just to fuck with, uhm, spacing here, the main character's head.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That totally just, uh, happened.

I'm thinking it's more to do with Patty's kid than Lyla. I think Lyla exists just to make us feel uneasy about David, at first, then to drive Ellen a little away from him.

What i want to know, is what did they do to regret? How did they go too far? Can't be more than four episodes left, right?

Shit.

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    deowolf wrote: »
    Aroo? When? I certainly don't remember it being confirmed that Patti was behind that situation.
    What i want to know, is what did they do to regret? How did they go too far?

Speculation:
    Molina isn't dead; they get the cops to extradite him after he leaves the hospital; Molina gets whacked after the deposition.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroo? When? I certainly don't remember it being confirmed that Patti was behind that situation.

Er, sorry, wasn't paying attention to your post. I meant, 'damn, well, that just happened' in the lack of adjective sense. I've just rediscovered Canadian beer.

If nothing else, I think that episode confirms that Patti really isn't in control of shit. I retract my evil hypothesis (yet may extended it again next week, episode depending).

deowolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's the thing, it's a show that's really kept me guessing and re-evaluating my opinions on various characters.

It's really refreshing.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What i want to know, is what did they do to regret? How did they go too far? Can't be more than four episodes left, right?

Shit.

I seem to remember in an earlier episode her fiance saying something akin to
    "This has gone too far. Someone has already died from this!"
    in one of the flash forwards

or perhaps my memory is shite

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just in case anyone in Australia wants to get in on this, they're repeating the first episodes from 10:40PM onwards tonight on 7.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The penultimate episode has occurred with all of our answers answered - but being the penultimate episode they had to give us some reason to come back for Ep. 13 -

Oh Mr. Science Guy. . .:/

Series has been excellent, even more so since they are committed to it being a mini-series and not somehow trying to stretch it out beyond what it needs to be (I mean really, how many people could mentally survive going through the trauma these people have been through).

What confuses me is that ART is very obviously
    aware of the lengths The Group will go to
    . So why the hesitation on his part in Ep. 2 regarding Katie?

Ep 12. Whew. Poor David. Poor Lyla. Poor Ellen. Series Finale should be great.

My prediction:
    Nye wanted to hire Ellen for the same reason Hewes wanted to - her connection to Katie, except in Nye's case, he wanted to keep a close eye on Connor through Ellen.

ED! on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What, there won't be a second season? What is this shit?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Says nothing on WIKI - but I remember an interview Close did that said that it was only for one season. I hope FX does more series like this to bookend THE SHIELD, NIP/TUCK and RESCUE ME.

ED! on