As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Race Driver: Create and Race: Forza style + PGR control = DS semi-sim racer

mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Race Driver: Create and Race

It's a road racing stock-car game from Codemasters, makers of TOCA Race Driver and Colin McRae Rally Rally games for the Nintendo DS that should be out on Tuesday September 25th. The game surprisingly hasn't been getting much press but it looks damned solid.

Eurogamer Review - very descriptive :^: (thanks to sethsez for linking the review)

race-driver-create-race-20070921031553065.jpgrace-driver-create-race-20070921031554487.jpgrace-driver-create-race-20070621011024828.jpg

So why is it noteworthy?

Because you get to create your own tracks using the in-game editor:

race-driver-create-race-20070921031553627.jpgrace-driver-create-race-20070621011026109.jpgrace-driver-create-race-20070621011027296.jpg

(Though I still worry about whether or not you get to place hills & valleys. It looks like it's very flat.)

What about other features?
  • Multi-cartridge multiplayer
  • DS Download Play
  • Online play over WFC
  • Track sharing with other players

Comes out in 2 days. Let the Fall of the Hemorrhaging Wallet continue!

UPDATE: It's now October 9th, a good 2 weeks past when I made this thread, and the game just last night appeared in a local gamestop. Now that the game actually has reviews I'm linking one at the top of the OP. It got a pretty good score (8 of 10) but this review is good because it's very descriptive about a game that got next to no hype. So with that, I'm updating the OP with some (abridged) impressions:

(a) Controls well. Semi-sim/semi-arcade. Most comparable to PGR.
(b) Graphics are nice. Cars are recognizable, real-world tracks are recognizable, but some corners get really blocky. The replays are also dull and uninspired, much like Forza 2 (except that Forza 2 was all about showing off the cars & reflections and this game just doesn't push that kind of polygon power). Keeps a high framerate, fluctuating between 30fps and 60fps.
(c) Car sounds come out well enough, but there's absolutely no music, which is just kinda strange.
(d) Tracks are well represented and recognizable. Graphically impressive for the DS. Not quite on par with the Playstation Gran Turismo games, but still very nice looking. Everything is some speedway though ... there doesn't seem to be any city tracks or deep forest/trial mountain tracks (fake but imaginative). Because speedways are built with as few obstructions as possible, it can be hard to judge your distance to a turn. Track memorization becomes an essential skill at high speeds.
(e) I haven't gotten to multiplayer or track editing yet so I don't have any impressions to share on them.

Overall I'm liking it so far. It's a fun arcade/sim hybrid racer. A good choice for the type of people who would play Forza or Gran Turismo but don't want to miss the Daily Show (because if you watch TV during the race you won't notice the lack of music).

266.jpg
mausmalone on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    TOCA was too hard to be any fun.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Never liked these games. Codemasters should stick to rally games and ONLY rally games.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »

Which game and which platform?

I own Race Driver 2 & 3 on PC. I've spent many, many hours playing them online in the last few years. I can't imagine anyone calling it difficult.

I've seriously been looking forward to this game on the DS. The release date kept getting pushed back, naturally. :lol:

Gamespot has covered this game fairly well, better than just about anyone else I've seen.
    In an interview we did with Codemasters lead producer Jamie Firth earlier this year, he stressed the importance of the arcade gameplay style in Create & Race, and after sitting down with a recent build of the code the fun, furious driving feel certainly seems pivotal to the experience.

Despite being built from the ground up to wring all the power possible out of the Nintendo DS platform, Create & Race plays a lot like the console and PC versions of the V8 Supercars series, making it a flat learning curve for the initiated. Newcomers to the brand shouldn't have any trouble picking up and playing this title, with the game featuring the usual driving control systems--one button to accelerate, one to brake, and dedicated buttons to switch camera angles.

Racing is spread over three tiers, with the AutoSport CLIO cup and Japanese Cup offering zippy little hatchbacks and Nissan NSXs. Tier two unlocks the USA Muscle Car tour, Super Truck International, and V6 European Championship. The third and final tier contains Honda Type R and Ford GT racing.

Codemasters has done a fantastic job with the cars, making each vehicle a unique driving experience. Cars in the CLIO cup are small, zippy, and handle like a dream, with responsive turning and braking. Truck racing stands in stark contrast, with the trucks steering like a giant metal ships careening out of control. Vehicle damage is realistic, as it will severely impact your ability to move, with rough handling punishing the driver with lowered performance and misaligned steering giving you the impression you're constantly veering into other lanes of traffic. Kissing too many walls with the front of your car will see your engine begin to smoke--impairing your vision--and consequently reducing your ability to move out of the way of obstacles. Switching to either the hood or front bumper cam will remove the smoke effect, but does nothing to alleviate the mechanical issues you'll face.

While you may want to get straight into the World Tour mode and start laying some rubber circle work, it's probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with the various vehicle types and their quirks. The simulation mode comes in handy here, offering up challenges to test your skills before you hit the track. Trials include accelerating and braking tests where you'll need to gun it off the line, get as much speed up as possible before breaking hard and trying to stop inside the target zone. Other modes include one which requires you to follow a racing line around a track, another where you have to overtake a target car as fast as possible, driving through gates without hitting cones, and more.

Completing the simulation mode objectives will reward between one and three stars per task depending on how well you complete them. These stars are then used as currency for the in-game store, which you can then exchange for additional track pieces in the custom track creation tool, two bonus championships, and customisation items such as stickers which you can put on your cars.

The big pull of V8 Supercars: Create & Race is the custom track creation tool, as it allows you to design and race in your own custom arenas. It's obvious that a lot of the development process has been put into the creation system, with users able to "paint" on roads by dragging the stylus over the touch screen, or by selecting pieces and fitting them together in a jigsaw style. Here you'll be able to make use of the pieces you've unlocked in the career modes, and while you can jump straight into the sandbox mode without completing any of the single player campaign, you'll have to make do with a limited selection of track pieces since many come from the store. There's a small counter at the top left hand corner of the screen showing the completeness of your work, and since you can only race on finished tracks, you'll have no trouble telling when you're done. There is plenty of space to create your hellish hairpin turns and chicanes, or if you'd like, a giant replica car park. Once you're finished making your circuit, you can do a quick fly over to make sure it's exactly how you want it. When it meets your approval, jump in and either race it alone, or with an AI controlled competitor car. There are a limited number of save blocks on the game cartridge--although there's no confirmed figure yet--so you'll need to be ruthless with which ones you decide to keep. We're still waiting, however, on details on exactly how you'll be able to use your created tracks in races with both DS-controlled opponents and real racers via Wi-Fi.

Whether you're a racer or budding track designer looking for a way to finally bring that dream corner to the light of day, V8 Supercars: Create & Race appears to have all the bases covered. While it may not suit some who may pass on it in favour of a Ridge Racer, it's certainly shaping up to be an interesting use of the DS' functionality as well as a compelling title for rev heads everywhere.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »

I own Race Driver 2 & 3 on PC. I've spent many, many hours playing them online in the last few years. I can't imagine anyone calling it difficult.

#2 on the XBOX.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »

#2 on the XBOX.

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Codemasters from what I've played of the TOCA series. Nevertheless ... my thought process at this point is that one semi-simulation racer on the DS is better than zero.

It has one leg up on Gran Turismo and Forza too .... I can play it while watching the Daily Show. :P

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno...the TOCA series has always given me exactly what I expected of it...a not-too-sim, not-too-arcade racing experience that features real world tracks & cars.

From everything I've read about the DS version, they've essentially moved the physics slider a notch or two toward the arcade side, added a track editor, and that's about it. ;)

I don't expect game of the year material, but I expect to have a lot of fun with it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well I'm guess I'm gonna rename the thread. Today was the ship date. Should be out tomorrow (Wednesday).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Let me know if you see it available anywhere.

EB/Stop has pushed the ship date back to the 27th as of this morning.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game does seem interesting. The DS could use some more good racers, and especially anything that lets you create content. The touchscreen is perfect for editors and sim games, why does nobody see that?!

Also I think there are hills, as you can see in the screens there're tunnels and places where the track goes under itself.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not a big fan of these types of games, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like fun on the DS.

Go figure.

The fact that it looks pretty spectacular doesn't hurt either.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'll also mention this, since the article I quoted makes it seem like there aren't many car types to choose from:
    Car And Track Lists for Create And Race

Vehicles
    Racing Renault Clio
    Renault Clio Sport V6
    Ford Falcon BA
    Ford Falcon AU
    Holden Commodore VZ
    Holden Commodore VX
    Holden Commodore VY
    Audi A4
    AMG Mercedes C Klasse
    Opel Vectra GTS V8
    STRANA Supertruck
    Honda Civic Type R
    Honda NSX
    Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune
    Dodge Charger
    MG XPower SV-R
    Buick Gran Sport 455
    Pontiac Firebird Formula 400
    BMW E26 M1 Group 4
    Lancia Beta Monte Carlo Turbo
    Chevrolet Corvette L88 Sunray DX
    Chevrolet Silverado Truck

Circuits
    The circuits in Race Driver: Create and Race are all based upon real world tracks and are described below. Some circuits will have more than one lay-out.

Adelaide
    Barbagallo
    Bathurst
    Brands Hatch
    Brno
    Donington Park
    Dover International Speedway
    Eastern Creek
    Eurospeedway Lausitz
    Gateway International
    Hockenheim
    Hidden Valley
    Istanbul Grand Prix
    Laguna Seca
    Mondello Park
    Nashville
    Norisring
    Nϋrburgring
    Oran Park
    Oschersleben
    Phillip Island
    Pukekohe
    Queensland Raceway
    Sandown
    Shanghai
    Silverstone
    Snetterton
    Spa-Francorchamps
    Surfer’s Paradise
    Symmons Plains Raceway
    Zandvoort

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    TOCA was too awesome to be any more awesome.

Fixed.

Also, still the only console racer with an ANALOG CLUTCH. Man, greatest thing ever. I'm talking about Toca 2, for Xbox, for the record. Moar analog clutch plaeze.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    EB/Stop has pushed the "shipping" date back to 10/1 now. Looks like I'm going to have to order it from somewhere. Anyone know a good place for finding games that doesn't have a shipping cost that's 1/3 of the game's price?

I desperately want to be able to see this screen on my DS:

rd07_07.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, copies of this are slipping out into the wild here and there, and I got my hands on one of 'em, so here are some initial impressions.

Just so people aren't left waiting, it's pretty much the best car racer on the DS. I know that's not saying... well, much of anything, really, but it's a really nice game. There's a decent variety of cars and tracks, and the cars have noticeably different handling. The handling is a nice balance between arcade and sim, and though I've seen some people say the handling feels weird I don't really think so.

There's a decent variety of different modes, so the game is pretty full-featured in that department. Multiple championships and tours (including the ability to edit your own), standard races, challenges, online play and a good amount of unlockables are here, in addition to the titular track editing. Graphics move at a mostly-steady 60FPS, and although it's not quite as detailed as some other DS racing games it's got a better sense of speed and weight than damn near all of them. Music is... well, not really worth mentioning, as it's bland and only in the menus. Car sounds aren't great, and are pretty much par for the course for a DS racer.

WiFi play is great, mostly lagless and allows you and three other people to race on custom tracks. Speaking of which... the track creation is certainly nice, but probably not as involved as most people hoped. It's all grid based, and any change in elevation is just a temporary element of a canned track piece. You're not going to be making any amazing hill-climbing tracks here. That said, it's still decent, incredibly easy to use, and the ability to use the tracks online makes it more worthwhile than it otherwise would have been.

Long story short: if you're expecting Forza DS, you're an idiot. But if you're expecting a fun arcade/sim hybrid with a healthy selection of features that's very well put together, you'll be more than satisfied.

sethsez on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have'nt touched a map editor in a race game since... Mach Rider on the NES.

...I feel slightly nostagic and old at the same time.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno...the reviews didn't look too hot for it. Too simple or something.

Besides, I was at the store and was trying to decide on a racer to get. Race Driver or...

the-biker-mice-ds1.jpg

My choice was clear.

Race Driver could've used more mutants or mice or something.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How good are the representations of real-life tracks in this game?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

Quite decent. They're not made with the same assets as the track creator so all the hills and such are there, which makes racing them feel pretty accurate. Scenery isn't really worth a damn, though, so as far as looks go you've just got some vague approximations of the real buildings and such.
    B:L wrote: »
    Admittedly it doesn't have much for gearheads, since you don't get to tweak cars at all beyond choosing automatic or manual. This is strictly racing, so if fine tuning is extremely important to you in these kind of games this WILL let you down. I've never really cared a great deal about it so it's not missed by me, but here's a fair warning for those who care about that kind of thing.

Outside of that, though, I don't really see how it's too simple. It's exactly what was promised, a game that straddles arcade and sim gameplay with a heavy focus on tracks and a decent selection of modes. No other car racer on the DS comes close, and as far as I'm concerned being able to take custom tracks online puts this up there with Mario Kart for WiFi racing, albiet for completely different reasons.

It's not a terrible flashy game though, so maybe that's what reviews were referring to. The interface is extremely simple (a good thing in my opinion, as games like Need for Speed Carbon and Asphalt 2 were irritating as hell to navigate), there's no music during races, and there's damn little in the way of fanfare for anything. It's not something I ever really noticed, though... the presentation fits the game.

sethsez on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So this game is actually out now? Damnit, I just do not have enough time for all the games I have and have yet to buy!

So far it sounds good, but all I need is one question answered to determine if it's a buy/rent/nothing for me.

How is this game in comparison to "Stunts"

If this game is basically Stunts for DS, I'm in.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BTP wrote: »

Nothing alike, really. This is a realistic racer (well, as realistic as you're ever going to get on a DS, anyway), so there are no crazy options in the track builder. Get one of the Trackmanias for the PC (preferably the newest one, obviously) if you're looking for a Stunts update.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    sethsez wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

Quite decent. They're not made with the same assets as the track creator so all the hills and such are there, which makes racing them feel pretty accurate. Scenery isn't really worth a damn, though, so as far as looks go you've just got some vague approximations of the real buildings and such.
    B:L wrote: »
    Admittedly it doesn't have much for gearheads, since you don't get to tweak cars at all beyond choosing automatic or manual. This is strictly racing, so if fine tuning is extremely important to you in these kind of games this WILL let you down. I've never really cared a great deal about it so it's not missed by me, but here's a fair warning for those who care about that kind of thing.

Outside of that, though, I don't really see how it's too simple. It's exactly what was promised, a game that straddles arcade and sim gameplay with a heavy focus on tracks and a decent selection of modes. No other car racer on the DS comes close, and as far as I'm concerned being able to take custom tracks online puts this up there with Mario Kart for WiFi racing, albiet for completely different reasons.

It's not a terrible flashy game though, so maybe that's what reviews were referring to. The interface is extremely simple (a good thing in my opinion, as games like Need for Speed Carbon and Asphalt 2 were irritating as hell to navigate), there's no music during races, and there's damn little in the way of fanfare for anything. It's not something I ever really noticed, though... the presentation fits the game.

Yeah, most of the reviews I've been able to find so far have basically portrayed the game as being very similar to existing Race Driver games, in terms of the interface & driving experience.

-One complained that there was no music during the race
    -One tried to warn Mario Kart fans that this game won't be as easy, thus they might be disappointed
    -One complained about the driving physics, saying it was hard at first but with some practice got better
    -One complained that there were no arrows showing you that a turn was coming up, so you might miss a turn if you don't know the track
    -One complained that the tracks aren't as nicely detailed as the cars
    -Most of them said it was a solid racing game & worth the buy regardless of these issues
    -All of them sounded like the reviewers didn't play racing games very regularly ;)

Almost all of the reviews praised the track creation function as the best part of the game, and the ones that mentioned Multiplayer said that though there weren't a ton of people on Wi-Fi yet, every race they ran was virtually lag free.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Nothing alike, really. This is a realistic racer (well, as realistic as you're ever going to get on a DS, anyway), so there are no crazy options in the track builder. Get one of the Trackmanias for the PC (preferably the newest one, obviously) if you're looking for a Stunts update.

Okay, wait, it doesn't have to have crazy jumps over buildings or loops anything like that. I wasn't expecting that out of this game. Just as long as the track editor has some decent depth to it (like Stunts) and the cars don't control to the point of nigh-uncontrollable for beginners (kinda like games like PGR).

Hmm.......maybe the best example I could give would be the San Francisco Rush games but without taking the shortcuts and not expecting giant leaps through the air. Is it like that?

And if it's a realistic racer like you said, does that mean your car can damage?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Check out the preview article I quoted up near the beginning of the post, it has the best description I've seen so far.

That might have the answer you're looking for. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I'll have to rent and see more impressions first to see how forgiving the game can be. I'm not asking for a game where I can drive around like a pinball, but I also don't want to pretend the car is made of glass either to be able to progess in the game. You know?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Okay, wait, it doesn't have to have crazy jumps over buildings or loops anything like that. I wasn't expecting that out of this game. Just as long as the track editor has some decent depth to it (like Stunts) and the cars don't control to the point of nigh-uncontrollable for beginners (kinda like games like PGR).

Hmm.......maybe the best example I could give would be the San Francisco Rush games but without taking the shortcuts and not expecting giant leaps through the air. Is it like that?

And if it's a realistic racer like you said, does that mean your car can damage?

The car can indeed take damage, in that you can fuck up your steering, suspension, transmission, etc. Nothing in the way of visual damage though.

The cars are also perfectly controllable for beginners. It can take a little while to get used to, but this ain't exactly a hardcore sim like GTR2, so you're not going to be driving directly into walls for the first five hours. Just don't expect to be able to drift around every turn without ever taking your finger off the acceleration, either.

And yeah, I'd say the track editor is about as robust as Stunts. Like I said, it's grid-based and has plenty of pieces to use, but you can't control elevation. Could've been better, could've been worse, but it's fun to use and you can make entertaining and varied tracks with it.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, like ... is this out yet? It got pushed back a day, then a week right when it was supposed to launch... then came around to the new launch day and got pushed back another day.

Now Gamestop/EB says it's out on the website, but that it's also not in stock anywhere. None of the other stores I checked online (TRU, BB, Target) even have it in the inventory system at all.

I'm going to be looking for it tonight when I go out for Zelda, but I was just curious to see if anybody's actually seen it in the wild yet.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So has anyone else gotten this? I've been playing it damn near obsessively and it seems like it's finally easy to find rather than just here and there in the wild, so I imagine anyone wanting to get it can now actually find a copy reasonibly easily.

Eurogamer's review pretty much sums up how I feel about the game: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84833

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So has anyone else gotten this? I've been playing it damn near obsessively and it seems like it's finally easy to find rather than just here and there in the wild, so I imagine anyone wanting to get it can now actually find a copy reasonibly easily.

Eurogamer's review pretty much sums up how I feel about the game: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84833

Okay ... one finally showed up in a Gamestop near me today, so I've been playing it since I got home tonight.

My impressions:

(a) Damned good racing game. It's not a true sim, but it's probably most comparable to PGR in terms of simulation accuracy. It's not true arcade, but it's not all that realistic.

(b) Damn those AI drivers. Not only do they have absolutely no regard for you, but they seem to speed up and slow down at the strangest times.

(c) Controls are tight and responsive. After getting used to it, it's actually really easy to play.

(d) Graphics are very good. Some things get blocky, but it's almost on par with GT or GT2 but with less glitching. It maintains 60fps most of the time, and occasionally dips to 30fps, but easily keeps a playable framerate. Draw distance is far enough to see a good quarter-mile or so. I'm not very familiar with most of the tracks except Laguna Seca, which is far more accurately reproduced than I would've expected possible on a portable system.

(e) Sound effects are good enough I guess. I had the volume down while I was watching TV. :P

I've only been playing World Tour mode, but hopefully I'll play some more of it and post some impressions. I want to also try out the download and WiFi play tomorrow. It has a feature that people have been apparently clamoring for on Nintendo WFC ... a "rivals" list. Basically if you play someone online and you think they're cool you can put eachother on your "rivals" list so you can meet up again later.

tl;dr: IMO the best racer on the DS save for Mario Kart DS. Easily worth buying.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    I want to also try out the download and WiFi play tomorrow. It has a feature that people have been apparently clamoring for on Nintendo WFC ... a "rivals" list. Basically if you play someone online and you think they're cool you can put eachother on your "rivals" list so you can meet up again later.

This was also in Metroid Prime Hunters, and probably some others as well. It's a nice feature though.

And to be honest, I think I prefer this to Mario Kart. All tracks are playable online, the ability to play custom tracks online adds a level of showoffness that makes playing online even more enjoyable than it already would be, and the lack of anything like snaking makes it more enjoyable for me.

Mario Kart's probably better in single player, though. But eh, it's a racing game... once you're done with single player, you're done unless you've got other people to compete with. And this really excels there.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I updated the OP to include that Eurogamer review you posted. Are you in Europe? You mentioned that its "relatively easy to find" now, but here in the US it's exceedingly hard to find unless you order online. The big-box stores aren't carrying it at all as far as I can tell, and they just started showing up in GameStop (but even then only two GameStops of the roughly 15 I know of in my area is carrying it at all.) If I were somewhere where I didn't have access to so many stores I probably wouldn't have found it at all.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've suddenly developed a burning desire for Trackmania DS.

This does look great, though

Tig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    I updated the OP to include that Eurogamer review you posted. Are you in Europe? You mentioned that its "relatively easy to find" now, but here in the US it's exceedingly hard to find unless you order online. The big-box stores aren't carrying it at all as far as I can tell, and they just started showing up in GameStop (but even then only two GameStops of the roughly 15 I know of in my area is carrying it at all.) If I were somewhere where I didn't have access to so many stores I probably wouldn't have found it at all.

They've shown up in quite a few Gamestops around my area (Orlando, Florida) but maybe we just got lucky.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I finally got my hands on a copy Tuesday. Basically, I agree with just about everything said previously. Also, it's exactly what I hoped it'd be. That's really the best thing I can say...it absolutely meets my expectations, and I no longer have to search for a good racing game for the DS that doesn't involve Blue Shells.

Once I work my way through the single player modes a little bit I'm going to venture online. I'm guessing maybe we can try using this thread for friend codes and a Game On at some point?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, finally polished off the first championship mode, and unlocked Pro Tour. This game has been immensely satisfying so far, and really makes me wish Codemasters would make a rally game for the DS as well (preferably made by the same team).

sethsez on