As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gene Wolfes Book of the New Sun. I think I'm missing something

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Upon reading an interview with Matthew Stover where he sang the praises of science fiction author Gene Wolfe, and more specifically about his work "The Book of the New Sun." I ordered the first two books, Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator. On the back covers there were high praises for both the work and Wolfe, saying that he may be the most important american science fiction author alive. I know at least Neil Gaiman swears by him and I think George RR Martin respects his work as well.

So I read the first two books, and while i thought they were pretty good, i didn't see what the big deal was. The story didn't seem overly exceptional, and I didn't think the writing was that amazing. Am I missing something or do i just need to read the entire series to "get it"?

Bloods End on

• Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    What you're missing is that there's a literature forum for posts like this. I believe it is called "The Writer's Block." :P

Anyway, I started reading "The Shadow of the Torturer" and kept putting it down in favor of other stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think Gene Wolfe is an awesome writer - his "Wizard Knight" duology is fucking great. Even so, I just can't really get into "The Book of the New Sun;" perhaps I'll try again at some point.

Distram on