As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Rygar: MUSCLE IMPACT or The Battle of Argus?

naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
"The Kingdom of Argus, where the lines of the sea live, is now dominated by imperial Rome. Here is where the story begins..."

So, there has been new infoz from TGS, and the last topic dedicated to this game is over 4 months old, so I figured i'd start up a topic for Tecmo's Rygar: The Battle of Argus! (Or MUSCLE IMPACT. Heck, I dunno)

h-104_74988_070713rygar09.jpg

h-104_74988_070713rygar04.jpg

h-104_74988_070713rygar03.jpg

As for vid, you can probably catch it at IGN along with a buncha other screenies.
http://wii.ign.com/objects/905/905253.html
Otherwise, here's the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVAr3kr4Fw

The Basic summary of what we (I) know so far: Rygar's probably a Wiimake of the PS2 game Rygar: The Legendary Adventure. All right, not so much your average Wiimake, because they actually revamped a few aspects of the gameplay: new enemies, a new hero, and... swing... action.

Anyways, there ya go. Discuss, and tell me if I missed anything; actually, scratch that, just tell me what I missed and give me a link to it.

naengwen on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hope it's not a remake.

Because Rygar for PS2 was pretty godawful. I mean it looked nice, but it was so. Damn. Slow. It was like someone took DMC and instead of turning it from 11 to 12, they dialed it down to 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, the producer did mention he was looking for a challenge with this game. Maybe he meant the challenge of making it not suck? D:

naengwen on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Those screenshots look really bad.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Those screenshots look really bad.

Glal on
  • Options
    mrgilmoreanmrgilmorean Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was hoping that it'd be a new game. I liked the PS2 one but this version doesn't look too improved graphically from what I could see.

mrgilmorean on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While Tecmo gave Xbox the awesome Ninja Gaiden, they gave the PS2 this.

Now they're giving the 360 Ninja Gaiden 2, and now the Wii is getting this...again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Graphically unimpressive, but it might yet be a decent game.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Well, usually graphics are a benchmark of how much effort the developers are putting into the game. Granted, not the best of gauges, but it's one nevertheless.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's how washed-out they look. They just give off a Generic PS2 Action Game vibe.

Glal on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Damn, they got rid of the heavy fur/metal kilt around his legs, by the looks of those screenshots. Ah well.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Muscle" Points? D:

Since when did Rygar turn into a Gym Guido? I mean, if I get to finish off enemies and then flashily kiss my bicep then that might be worht the bad graphics, but I dunno.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jeeze you guys are way too damn negative. I think the game might actually be good, and I think the screenshots look okay. Isn't the game still 8+ months out? They have time.

urahonky on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the screenshots aren't that bad. Sure, they're a little PS2 but they're not flat out awful.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really enjoyed the PS2 game and if I had a Wii I'd be looking forward to this. It looks like it could shape up to be pretty decent.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, usually graphics are a benchmark of how much effort the developers are putting into the game.
    Almost never true.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    Well, usually graphics are a benchmark of how much effort the developers are putting into the game.
    Almost never true.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, the screenshots aren't that bad. Sure, they're a little PS2 but they're not flat out awful.

h-104_74988_070713rygar04.jpg
    That wall is a little more PSP than PS2.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I hope they improve the graphics before it's actually released.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Videos make the game look better. In my book anyway.

I think it looks promising.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A remake of a 4 year old me-too Devil May Cry using an IP that wasn't really great to begin with? I'm not sure this is worth discus-ing.

see what i did there
    Discus. 'Cuz it's a disk.
    It's worth discussing
    diskarmoring?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The PS2 Rygar was a pretty good game... then God of War came out.

Try playing it now.

It sucks.

Food on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Where did they say it was a remake?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Where did they say it was a remake?
    IGN wrote:
    Of course, this being a Wii'make of the PS2 game from a few years back, Tecmo has had something pretty good to build on in the first place...

Technically IGN's the only one referring to it as a Wiimake, though. Most other sites either don't recognize it or don't have that detail covered, though Joystiq calls it a resurrection of the game and says it isn't a port. Of course, those words can be taken out of context as well, so I left it at "probably."

naengwen on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Food wrote: »

Try playing it now.

It sucks.

A new title improved on general ideas from an old one. The game is fine, others have just "done it better."

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Try playing it now.

It sucks.

A new title improved on general ideas from an old one. The game is fine, others have just "done it better."

God of War was a terrible game, however.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Try playing it now.

It sucks.

Did we play the same God of War? The one on the PS2? Because my version had good graphics, very tight controls, Greek/Roman mythology, and fantastic boss battles.

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    redfenix wrote: »

Try playing it now.

It sucks.

Did we play the same God of War? The one on the PS2? Because my version had good graphics, very tight controls, Greek/Roman mythology, and fantastic boss battles.
    Mine had poor controls, bastardised mythology and some of the most tedious, uninspired boss battles I've ever encountered in a 3D game.
    I wanted to like the damn thing, I really did.
    The graphics I'll grant you.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only thing I really disliked about it were some of the puzzles, particularly in the ... mountain area, whatever the hell is was called.

something of trials?

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    God of War was fucking awesome.

If you didn't like it, there's a high probability that the reason is because you should have been playing on a harder difficulty than Normal.

Because you can get by with button-mashiness on Normal, but I played on God Mode and that requires you to take advantage of the offensive and defensive techniques of the fighting system.

edit: who cares if the mythology was bastardized or not? Nobody is claiming that the events of GOW were meant to follow the mythology precisely.

slash000 on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rygar was such an awesome game.
    On NES :(

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was excited at first, but this doesn't even look as good as the PS2 Rygar did. I get the feeling this will just be something tossed out there onto the Wii market for the sake of having a product.

I honestly think Soul Calibur legends will be pretty crappy, too. That also looked PS2-quality for a long time, but they've finally upped the graphics a bit in the recent builds.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, Rygar for PS2 was a fucking awful game. This looks like it's carrying on that tradition.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    God of War was fucking awesome.

If you didn't like it, there's a high probability that the reason is because you should have been playing on a harder difficulty than Normal.

Because you can get by with button-mashiness on Normal, but I played on God Mode and that requires you to take advantage of the offensive and defensive techniques of the fighting system.

edit: who cares if the mythology was bastardized or not? Nobody is claiming that the events of GOW were meant to follow the mythology precisely.

I did play it on Hard. It was still either button-mashy or had only one way to beat each enemy. Stilted, unimagintive design. Nothing of the freeform imagination of Devil May Cry or God Hand.
    And the Hydra was a terribly designed boss. It didn't move. It had one attack or at most two. Boring is the word.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmp. I'll admit that I only played on Normal and God mode, so I can't fully speak about Hard. I would have assumed that it required some strategy at least. I mean, sure, the first hour or two you can mash because the availability of options is limited..

I will agree though that the design is somewhat stilted and is not as good as DMC3.

But I disagree that it's a bad game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmp. I'll admit that I only played on Normal and God mode, so I can't fully speak about Hard. I would have assumed that it required some strategy at least. I mean, sure, the first hour or two you can mash because the availability of options is limited..

I will agree though that the design is somewhat stilted and is not as good as DMC3.

But I disagree that it's a bad game.

Maybe mediocre would be a better word?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I still think it's awesome. I just think DMC3 is fuck-awesome.

If DMC3 is an 11 out of 10, then GoW is like a 9.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this post.

Xagarath, it sounds like most of what you're feeling for GoW is caused by backlash. PS2 Rygar is a mediocre game. It's like the definition of mediocre. And you have to admit God of War is far better than that.

Food on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this post.

Xagarath, it sounds like most of what you're feeling for GoW is caused by backlash. PS2 Rygar is a mediocre game. It's like the definition of mediocre. And you have to admit God of War is far better than that.

I have not played PS2 Rygar.
    And it's nothing to do with backlash.

I'm just not lulled by pretty graphics and setpieces into ignoring fairly brainless, unimaginative gameplay. It was the same problem as Donkey Kong Country.,

Xagarath on