As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What would you kill for?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I'm curious; in a completely serious way, what would you kill for?

I was mostly kidding, but there are a lot of moral principles that I would bend for a million dollars... Here's the real question, and you know you've been asked it at one point or another in your life.... Guys... would you be Bill Gates' bitch for a night for a cool billion? Or women, how about Oprah? Would you let Oprah invite you to a "private book club meeting" for a billion 8-)

Again, anyone who wouldn't take it from Bill Gates for a night for a billion is an idiot.

Tube on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I was mostly kidding, but there are a lot of moral principles that I would bend for a million dollars... Here's the real question, and you know you've been asked it at one point or another in your life.... Guys... would you be Bill Gates' bitch for a night for a cool billion? Or women, how about Oprah? Would you let Oprah invite you to a "private book club meeting" for a billion 8-)

Again, anyone who wouldn't take it from Bill Gates for a night for a billion is an idiot.

Well, I'm an unviolated idiot.

devoir on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Re: what this thread has moved on to:

Unless the ensuing action led to my immediate demise or the death of an innocent, there are few things in the world that would give me pause when we start talking about 10 digit figures. I'd do my best to give Gates the night of his life, and probably offer up a second night for free in gratitude.

As noted by others, as long as I got to choose what happened to the money after my death, I'd have a hard time turning that down, and if we're using crazy british units of measurement, I'm not sure where the depths I'd stoop to would end.

And I'd expect the same out of anyone else.

However, should someone be told that they just have to kill me for a billion dollars, doesn't mean I would go down without a fight.

Now, if someone was offered a billion dollars for charity for killing me? Okay, now we're just getting into some rediculous levels of hypothetical. Until we get to the hypotheticals that end up with me in Vegas with Shakira on one arm and Jessica Alba on the other, I'm going back to "work" (okay, browsing G&T).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm a rich bitch.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Killing yourself makes no fucking sense unless you really hate being alive.

All the good I will ever do even if I lived for a hundred more years will pale in comparison to what I could do with the authority to spend one billion dollars before I offed myself.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'm a rich bitch.

Taking it up the arse doesn't violate any of my morals, so I'm sweet. I'd do it for a million. You're still the most expensive prostitute in the world.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Alright, I killed a guy.

Where's my Money, Honey?

Shinto on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Now, if someone was offered a billion dollars for charity for killing me? Okay, now we're just getting into some rediculous levels of hypothetical. Until we get to the hypotheticals that end up with me in Vegas with Shakira on one arm and Jessica Alba on the other, I'm going back to "work" (okay, browsing G&T).

So you're denying that you'd take the billion, then?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Killing yourself makes no fucking sense unless you really hate being alive.

I find this post funny somehow.

Shinto on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

I'm a rich bitch.

Taking it up the arse doesn't violate any of my morals, so I'm sweet. I'd do it for a million. You're still the most expensive prostitute in the world.

A billion dollars buys a lot of therapy. Though I'd think a billion would be all the closure I'd ever need.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think an important question is "who's billion are you getting?"

Because you can't just magic a billion whatever into the world money markets.

EDIT: You know what fuck it - if there's a billion USD on the table and someone tells me to kill you for it, let's just say you're not as safe as you'd probably like to think.

:lol:

mcdermott on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »

EDIT: You know what fuck it - if there's a billion USD on the table and someone tells me to kill you for it, let's just say you're not as safe as you'd probably like to think.

Ironically I've slept this one over and decided that in fact no I wouldn't kill someone for a billion dollars and while I'm sure I can convince no one that that would be the case, how awesome would I be at the end of the day - and killing someone for a billion dollars doesn't generate awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ironically I've slept this one over and decided that in fact no I wouldn't kill someone for a billion dollars and while I'm sure I can convince no one that that would be the case, how awesome would I be at the end of the day - and killing someone for a billion dollars doesn't generate awesome.

No but a new Ferrari to go with your new fully paid-off home would be pretty awesome. And the new Armani suits.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No but a new Ferrari to go with your new fully paid-off home would be pretty awesome. And the new Armani suits.

Not, at the cost of my personal morality though. The whole "billion dollars" thing comes down to asking how much you value your personal gain over the direct consequences to the lives of others. There are a lot of things I'd use lethal force over, and lots of reasons I can think of that we really might be better off with certain specific people no longer alive. However, in the hypothetical case where it's a stranger for a billion dollars, the answer is no - purely because were I the stranger, I would want someone to make the same choice.

So to an extent it's like that twilight zone bit where they have the button that will give you $10,000 at the cost of someone they don't know dying, and then they come and take the button and give it to someone the people don't know.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I could kill just anyone for money, nor sleep with anyone.

Money alone would not be the deciding factor at all. I make enough money to do pretty much everything I want as opposed to having a flying fancy for.

If my life went in a completely hellish direction and I was given the opportunity to kill bad people for money, then I guess it's a way to make a living. But I imagine it's a slippery slope and I'd never be one hundred percent certain I was doing the 'right' thing if all my information was coming from one source (whoever was hiring).

devoir on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    If someone was offered a billion dollars to kill me I honestly couldn't tell them not to do it.

Tube on
  • Options
    snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    in a heartbeat I would kill anyone who tried to or successfully killed either of my kids, or my wife. If they did it while I was gone I would hunt them down and kill them. I would go to jail and I would not feel guilty.

snap on
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I've never killed anyone, but I did stab a man in a fight once. That changed my opinions about things.

I don't think I would ever kill anyone. I would severely hurt them though if they threatened my life or people I loved.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My life, My Freedom, My Country and My Wife

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You forgot to capitalize "life".

And are people seriously saying that they wouldn't kill anyone for billion dollars? Because I find it hard to believe. I understand if you wouldn't kill a normal guy (I wouldn't either), but once someone does something like molest a kid or murder dozen innocent people, I could put a bullet to their head and not cry even one tear. The billion would be a plus. A big-ass plus, though.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You forgot to capitalize "life".

And are people seriously saying that they wouldn't kill anyone for billion dollars? Because I find it hard to believe. I understand if you wouldn't kill a normal guy (I wouldn't either), but once someone does something like molest a kid or murder dozen innocent people, I could put a bullet to their head and not cry even one tear. The billion would be a plus. A big-ass plus, though.

The hypothetical is vague. I took it as "anyone" i.e. a person I know nothing about. My morality is pretty clear on that. However, I'd kill Osama Bin Laden for free although the US does have that bounty out on him.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    People wouldn't have sex / allow themselves to get molested for a billion dollars? Hell I'd do it with pretty much anyone for 100k. For a fucking billion I'd happily get gang raped for a week, with a smile on my face.

edit: and shout KA-CHING after every load

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TWILIGHT ZONE

So are you telling me that if I take the billion dollars, you're the one I have to kill?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TWILIGHT ZONE

So are you telling me that if I take the billion dollars, you're the one I have to kill?
    Don't do it!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mercy.

Its everything i do to you up to killing thats for love.

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

So you're denying that you'd take the billion, then?

Eh? My earlier commentary covered this. The quoted part was me delving into the absurd as to whether or not I'd let someone kill me for charity. (Pro-tip: No)

The whole intellectual exercise is pretty absurd of course. You can hire a killer for a couple thousand dollars (though watching plenty of A&E has convinced me that most of them are either cops or snitches), so the likelyhood of one of us being offered a hit for $1,000,000 to $1,000,000,000 is pretty far fetched.

When you're talking about 7 to 10 digits, I think most people would first question the scenario (is this a bad person? An innocent child? How can I be guaranteed getting the money? Why should I? What do you get out of this? Etc.) but the draw to do it would be strong.

I think a more telling question is 'how little would you kill for'? $100,000? $10,000? $1,000? What if it were someone horrific like a pedophile or a serial rapist? A cold blooded murderer of men, women and children? An animal that is both unredeemable and contributes nothing but misery to society? How far down the slope would you slide for cash and to carry out a little vigilante justice?

Catching them in the act is easy, I'm sure most people would take pride in doing what it took to save another person, but what about in cold blood? Restrained to the point that they cannot fight back, but you have to do it with your bare hands?

Just keep adding enough 0's to the figure and the choice becomes easy. Start taking them away and we actually find limits.
    Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?
    Socialite: My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course...
    Churchill: Would you sleep with me for five pounds?
    Socialite: Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!
    Churchill: Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If someone was offered a billion dollars to kill me I honestly couldn't tell them not to do it.

Agreed.

But would you fight back?

I couldn't fault another person for trying, but that doesn't mean I'd have to be a passive victim about it.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Don't they make movies about rich people paying other people to let the rich people hunt them?

I'm sure Jean Claude was in one of them.

devoir on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Agreed.

But would you fight back?

I couldn't fault another person for trying, but that doesn't mean I'd have to be a passive victim about it.

I would not only fight back, I would if necessary kill them.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would kill to preserve either my life or another's.

Projeck on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Projeck wrote: »

Would you kill to preserve the life of someone who is trying to kill you?

_J_ on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Would you kill to preserve the life of someone who is trying to kill you to preserve the life of someone who is trying to kill you to preserve the life of Bill Gates, who's offered you a billion dollars to kill yourself? What if you were Hitler?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Godwin's Law. :P

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Im hoping to become a cop soon. So I really hope i'd be able to kill if needbe in order to save my life or that of an innocent person.

Ive seen way too many dashboard videos of cops who couldn't.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Would you kill to preserve the life of someone who is trying to kill you to preserve the life of someone who is trying to kill you to preserve the life of Bill Gates, who's offered you a billion dollars to kill yourself? What if you were Hitler?

Well I'd have a pretty bitchin' stache for one, though I would be a little dead sadly enough.

Projeck on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yes, but is it art?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AbsurdistAbsurdist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did someone already say that they killed a man in Reno just to watch him die? I'd kill for that one.

And fun too. I bet it's fun, you know, if you're killing someone who really deserves to die.

Absurdist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Im hoping to become a cop soon. So I really hope i'd be able to kill if needbe in order to save my life or that of an innocent person.

Ive seen way too many dashboard videos of cops who couldn't.

That is notably different from expecting a non-cop civilian to do the same, however. Much in the way that appropriate killing-expectations for a Marine would be distinctly different from those a cop is held to. Just because that's relevant.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MetalChickenMetalChicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A dame.

MetalChicken on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. If he bothers me, or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. "

Forar on